Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sarkozymandias posted:

If you demand honor you're too much of a childish coward to succeed in this world.

I was Sunbroing in Anor Londo, got summoned by a guy, then some Darkwraith invaded us about half-way to O&S. We killed the guy and he sent me a message saying "sick 2v1 gank bro, your good XD".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

And that's why the Darkmoon Blade covenant should allow you to invade anyone who sends you a message.

Next best thing is to just idle as a Gravelord and hope that those are the people somewhere in the world having their game permanently and irreparably ruined by nigh-unkillable god monsters.

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007
What do I have to do to play co-op with a friend? We've been trying for hours. Sometimes we can see each other's signs but summoning fails, sometimes we can't even get the sign to show up. NAT is open, UPnP enabled. We've tried enabling and disabling all the right ports. We've tried quitting and reloading the game, placing a new sign every 10-20s. Changing every network option that's in the FAQ on the Steam forums. It just seems to be impossible to play with a friend. I have seen other people's summoning signs, but never succeeded to actually summon someone. Also, I do get invaded and sometimes I gain humanity when someone rates one of my messages.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

Elsje posted:

What do I have to do to play co-op with a friend? We've been trying for hours. Sometimes we can see each other's signs but summoning fails, sometimes we can't even get the sign to show up. NAT is open, UPnP enabled. We've tried enabling and disabling all the right ports. We've tried quitting and reloading the game, placing a new sign every 10-20s. Changing every network option that's in the FAQ on the Steam forums. It just seems to be impossible to play with a friend. I have seen other people's summoning signs, but never succeeded to actually summon someone. Also, I do get invaded and sometimes I gain humanity when someone rates one of my messages.

It is very frustrating, yeah. Usually I've found its a good idea to just keep your summon sign down and not bother replacing it every 20 seconds. When you leave a sign down it seems to cycle through peoples worlds and it will eventually show up in your friend's world if you just wait.

Every theory that I've seen trying to make it work more easily seems to be full of confirmation bias, so take it all with a grain of salt. Sometimes if you manually cancel your sign, instead of just replacing it, and then place it down again, it seems to help.

Other than that, be a sun bro, it seems to help somewhat. Sometimes my friends and I will try for an hour and it wont work, sometimes we try for 10 seconds and it works the first time. Its a mess.

Edit: I know I said "seems to" a lot, but really, its like a dark art trying to connect to people in this game, everything is hit and miss.

Rodnik fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 22, 2012

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Elsje posted:

The netcode is all over the place. Sometimes invasions and summons fail all night, and then the next day they work perfectly. Then if they do work it will be laggy as poo poo. Sometimes I won't see signs/messages for hours, then they'll just pop up. One night I kept getting an error message telling me I was banned, when I got on the line with support they said nothing was wrong with my account and it should work fine. Locked me out for a full day before letting me back in. Another time it said the network was down, but I was able to log on via the website and some friends on steam had no problems. All while I hadn't touched a setting or changed anything.

Bottom line is GFWL sucks as bad as the in game netcode, and even if you trouble shoot every single problem so it should work, something else probably broke in the meantime. Your best bet is to get in one of the covenants that up matching chances (sunbros, way of white, princess guard), and being within ~10 levels of each other, preferably in a low traffic area at off hours. Good luck.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
God, the fact that you have to end a post about how to get the multiplayer to work in this game with "good luck" is cringe-worthy to me. I don't mean that your post is cringe-worthy, just how shoddy the multiplayer is. I guess it's a testament to how good the game is that people have still been putting up with it despite the fact that it doesn't seem like it will ever be fixed :smith:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I didn't understand all the GFWL hate until I got this game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't help that according to a goon here(sorry I forget who it was!) the entire back-end for Dark Souls is basically a torrent tracker.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Elsje posted:

I don't know if this is confirmation bias or what, but when I attempted to co-op with a specific guy we had much better luck connecting with each other after friending each other on GFWL, and setting each other as preferred multiplayer bros in the GFWL friends options. Do NOT reset your new sign every 10-20s though, that's way too often.

Gigas-VII
Sep 20, 2004

PANDA TANZ-PARTY

Rodnik posted:

It is very frustrating, yeah. Usually I've found its a good idea to just keep your summon sign down and not bother replacing it every 20 seconds. When you leave a sign down it seems to cycle through peoples worlds and it will eventually show up in your friend's world if you just wait.

Every theory that I've seen trying to make it work more easily seems to be full of confirmation bias, so take it all with a grain of salt. Sometimes if you manually cancel your sign, instead of just replacing it, and then place it down again, it seems to help.

Other than that, be a sun bro, it seems to help somewhat. Sometimes my friends and I will try for an hour and it wont work, sometimes we try for 10 seconds and it works the first time. Its a mess.

Edit: I know I said "seems to" a lot, but really, its like a dark art trying to connect to people in this game, everything is hit and miss.

I'd like to second the above. I've been playing co-op with a few different friends, and sometimes everything just works. Other times, we give up after trying for an hour.

One thing I want to point out is that once you've established a session with someone (being invaded, invading, summoning them, or being summoned), future connection attempts to that person will have an extremely high probability of working on the first try. If either of you have to restart the application, this state will end. Sometimes it seems like just dropping to the title screen can end it as well. Other times, I've even swapped characters and been able to instantly reconnect without issue.

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know if this is confirmation bias or what, but when I attempted to co-op with a specific guy we had much better luck connecting with each other after friending each other on GFWL, and setting each other as preferred multiplayer bros in the GFWL friends options. Do NOT reset your new sign every 10-20s though, that's way too often.
This is consistent with my observations as well. I'd like to get some GFWL debug-level logs to see what's going on, but I haven't seen any documentation on doing so.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Tykero posted:

I didn't understand all the GFWL hate until I got this game.

It's so bad that the only way I can conceive a company deciding to use it is if Microsoft pays them. That's how it works right? Why the gently caress would you go out of your way to not use something good like steam works? Or just build something in house small scale, then upgrade if people actually use it?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I imagine the API is similar or identical to the XBL API, and this is a straight 360 port.

Gigas-VII
Sep 20, 2004

PANDA TANZ-PARTY

Harrower posted:

It's so bad that the only way I can conceive a company deciding to use it is if Microsoft pays them. That's how it works right? Why the gently caress would you go out of your way to not use something good like steam works? Or just build something in house small scale, then upgrade if people actually use it?

From only used it because they had to do a lot less work to implement it, as the GFWL and 360-Live implementations share the majority of code. However, something about the way they implemented it makes it work especially poorly, worse than other GFWL-games, from what I've seen.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Apparently GFWL was easier because they had already made the game for Xbox Live and I guess they get to reuse a lot of code. This port wasn't even planned, and when they did start making it, they ran into a lot of issues because they(by their own admission) didn't really have any experience making PC games. It shows, but I hope they've learned a lot and will make a really good port next time around, or pay someone to do it for them. It's kind of a miracle this thing even came out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Gigas-VII posted:

One thing I want to point out is that once you've established a session with someone (being invaded, invading, summoning them, or being summoned), future connection attempts to that person will have an extremely high probability of working on the first try. If either of you have to restart the application, this state will end. Sometimes it seems like just dropping to the title screen can end it as well. Other times, I've even swapped characters and been able to instantly reconnect without issue.

This is either onfirmation bias or only true for one direction.

Some days ago, i was trying to get summoned by a friend to guide him through blighttown. We spent 30 minutes of him seeing my sign, activating it twice or thrice, me dropping it at a different place and repeating.
I then told him "YOU drop a sign, i'll try to summon you, maybe i can give you some items at least."

I found his sign right away, and summoned him on the first try.

HELL YEAH! Connection established! Dismissed him and dropped my sign for him again.

He continued failing to summon me for another 20 minutes.

And after all this, please keep in mind that he was sitting literally ten meters away from me, at my place. We were both on the exact same connection and network.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
How multiplayer in Dark Souls works is entirely P2P with FROM's servers serving merely as trackers, keeping track of the various clients. This is why properly configuring your router is very important to getting the MP to work, the proper ports need to be forwarded etc, etc.

When you're in-game (this includes sitting at the main menu) your client will grab IPs of other clients from the tracker, building up an internal pool of addresses that it uses for every multiplayer feature, this includes summons, invasions, messages, etc, even all the little quirks like kindle flasks. This is the main reason various things perform unreliably; if you can't see a friend's summon sign, they're not in your pool. If you aren't getting any hits, there's a good chance your IP hasn't been propagated yet (or there just aren't other people to connect to).

In addition, there's network lag to consider; it takes a non-zero amount of time for information about your MP activity (signs for example) to get propagated out, and this means that there can be "ghost signs" that used to point to a valid client, but don't anymore.

In short, getting MP to work reliably is largely a matter of luck. However, on the other hand, due to its P2P nature, it should be relatively easy to set up a third-party tracker to use instead of FROM's, so if interest in the game remains high, and no major patches are forthcoming then I expect one or two of those to crop up.

E: ^^ This is another issue that can be caused by the P2P IP pooling. It's one-way, so if he's in your pool, you're not necessarily in his.

E: The address pool gets cleared any time you quit the game, and it takes at least several minutes to repopulate (starting at the main menu). Additionally, your pool can get saturated with dead addresses (players that have quit, or are otherwise no longer playing), so restarting the game helps to increase MP reliability.

E: I would hazard a guess that the reason that GFWL is less reliable than 360Live for Dark Souls is a matter of hardware. With the 360, developers and Microsoft have much tighter control over the client than on PC, and I would guess that the 360Live servers are simply better than the GFWL servers. This is all of course just guessing, and it may be confirmation bias in the first place. :)

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 22, 2012

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, why can't I stop making new characters. I now want an intelligence based bandit knife/shortbow/pyromancy/sorcerery character. Maybe even with some miracles on the side, but there are so many points and bits of equipment and and and and and this game, dammit.

Where have I heard this before?...

Zylen posted:

I have a serious case of altitis for this game, which obviously is kind of dumb because one character can do everything and anything. I know that, sure. Does this stop me from constantly making new characters? gently caress no.

Oh, that's right. The following month:

Zylen posted:

I am ready for the Real Dark Souls.

I still haven't completed the game once. :v:

You know what you must do, Poptart Fairy.

May you be gloriously incandescent one day.

Edit: I can add an SL120 Artorias to that list now, too. Perhaps the coming lack of free saveslots shall save me from my self-created, blisful Slaaneshi Hell.

Zylen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 22, 2012

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You have a Balder Knight build, but no Artorias build? Ban this sick filth.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

Nahxela posted:

You have a Balder Knight build, but no Artorias build? Ban this sick filth.

See my edit :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shukaro posted:

E: ^^ This is another issue that can be caused by the P2P IP pooling. It's one-way, so if he's in your pool, you're not necessarily in his.

I'm not sure how i could not be in his pool if he hit my sign about 50 times. Are there different pools for propagating signs and actually connecting? Somehow your explanation sounds differently.

I also constantly saw his phantom, since we were both mostly standing at the same place.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Zylen posted:

See my edit :v:
Good work :v:

Now make a Logan build, and a Grigg's build, and a Tarkus build, and a...

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

http://youtu.be/5DYsQvMo2iM

And an Iron Golem.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

I'm not sure how i could not be in his pool if he hit my sign about 50 times. Are there different pools for propagating signs and actually connecting? Somehow your explanation sounds differently.

I also constantly saw his phantom, since we were both mostly standing at the same place.

It's also the whole "ghost-sign" thing caused by network lag. He probably was hitting an invalid sign. This is especially common when you drop your sign multiple times, since you can only have one active sign at a time.

Gigas-VII
Sep 20, 2004

PANDA TANZ-PARTY

Shukaro posted:

E: The address pool gets cleared any time you quit the game, and it takes at least several minutes to repopulate (starting at the main menu). Additionally, your pool can get saturated with dead addresses (players that have quit, or are otherwise no longer playing), so restarting the game helps to increase MP reliability.
I'm conceptually fine with how this game handles multiplayer, outside of the fact that the pool of IPs your system is attempting to use can saturate. It should, ideally, attempt connections faster and more frequently. An attempt shouldn't fail out after 1 minute; it should fail out after 10 seconds, max. The latency in the system itself is probably the biggest issue.

If only the devs had hired 1 or 2 competent PC developers to help them along. 1 guy who knows DirectX, and one guy who knows GFWL, and they would have been set.

Why can't I stop playing this game?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shukaro posted:

It's also the whole "ghost-sign" thing caused by network lag. He probably was hitting an invalid sign. This is especially common when you drop your sign multiple times, since you can only have one active sign at a time.

We could coordinate pretty well since we were, you know, within talking range. A quick look next door could validate if the sign was in the right place.

I also adopted the habit of changing a few equipment pieces between dropping the sign elsewhere/again. Your current appearance gets sent when you drop your sign, so when he sees me wearing "out-dated" equipment, we know it's an old sign and he doesn't hit it. So yeah, definitely no outdated signs.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I need a little help with Artorias. My build depends on his death, and until then I am rather gimped. My level is 50 and my GT is GhostHunterTed.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I rebought Dark Souls on PC specifically for mulitplayer, but I've had terrible luck since release, so I've shelved it for about the last month. Has there been any patch to address this, or any noticable improvements? I just want to get the most out of the game this time around, since I don't have Gold on Xbox. I've already been through all the port fuckery.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DiscoMouse posted:

I rebought Dark Souls on PC specifically for mulitplayer, but I've had terrible luck since release, so I've shelved it for about the last month. Has there been any patch to address this, or any noticable improvements? I just want to get the most out of the game this time around, since I don't have Gold on Xbox. I've already been through all the port fuckery.

It's as bad as it ever was, plus there are fewer players than at release.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
drat, I thought I'd gotten the impression from recent posts that the connection rate was up. That sucks, I don't know if I have the will to finish it again as it is.

VVV Turns out I skimmed and misread that very message.

DiscoMouse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 23, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Read this page, there's somebody talking about not being able to connect to someone on the same LAN as him :v:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
An additional thing to note that it makes zero difference if two clients are on the same network, they all go through the same IP address pooling P2P procedures.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm always amazed at the hoops that Dark Souls players will jump through to play with a buddy when the game was specifically designed to have randomized multiplayer. :psyduck:

Seriously, play some L4D with your bros to get it out of your system, and then go back and play Dark Souls as the devs intended.

Demon's Souls came out three years ago, you'd think folks would have gotten used to how FROM does multi by now...

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is the Dragon Tooth's rolling 2H R1 unparryable? I always thought only whips were unparryable.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just had my first surprise guest - a phantom that i didn't summon!

He was wearing Solaire's armor and was a golden phantom, so maybe he was not a mixed-up invader after all. Can people force themselves into your game now?

Dropped him some twin humanities and wanted to send him away, but he dropped something for me at the same time.

Twin humanities. Welp.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Were you trying to summon someone else?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tractor fanatic posted:

Were you trying to summon someone else?

No. He just appeared. "Phantom Carnagesomethingsomething appeared." and there he was.

I was idling and watching something else when i noticed the message flashing.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Given that I've shown up as a White Phantom before while invading, and there are people who invade with a Solaire gimmick (solaire plz ;_;), it's likely he was a glitched invader.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

Given that I've shown up as a White Phantom before while invading, and there are people who invade with a Solaire gimmick (solaire plz ;_;), it's likely he was a glitched invader.

I thought the same but, well, he was in the warriors of sunlight covenant as shown by his gross incandescence. Pretty unusual for a dedicated/gimmick invader.

Fun fact: My very first invasion had me show up as a white phantom.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I don't think you have to be in the Warriors of Sunlight to get glitched to be a Gold phantom, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The game just glitches out sometimes. Happens in all versions of the game. They'll be a darkwraith and use the red eye orb, and then show up as a white, blue, or gold phantom.

• Locked thread