Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sif :(

Also +4 Chaos Zweihander, yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have never pulled out a Zweihander and actually used it for any length of time.

I am oddly pleased with my self-restraint on that front, for some reason.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

I have never pulled out a Zweihander and actually used it for any length of time.

I am oddly pleased with my self-restraint on that front, for some reason.

I don't like its move set. There are better 2H IMO. Giant club and dragons tooth come to mind.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So when people said I needed to go to anor londo I didn't expect to be carried by literal bat demons there. I feel like it would have had more gravitas if I weren't wearing the catarina chestpiece, and therefore looked like a retarded pill bug.

It's really loving pretty though, I mean drat. I don't wanna leave.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 17, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't wanna leave.

You will.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
This is fun:

I got to Blighttown, but had some corridors I hadn't explored in the sewers because I fell down some of the grates and didn't find my way up there until after defeating the boss (among them, the dude who fires magic at you while fighting the boss). I got my revenge on him and found some extra proud knight souls I think, but then I got cursed (thanks, game!) by some of those big eyed creatures and have tried to beat Blighttown with only 5 Estus flasks and half health for the better part of last evening. Oh, how I LOVE this part.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Go get uncursed, silly! And while you're at it, buy one or two purging stones. Blighttown is really not a place you want to explore with half health.

The guy who can help you with all that is in the Undead Parish belltower.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Go get uncursed, silly! And while you're at it, buy one or two purging stones. Blighttown is really not a place you want to explore with half health.

The guy who can help you with all that is in the Undead Parish belltower.

Thanks, I will. Believe me, I will.

EDIT: Btw, how far is it to the next bonfire after the first one in Blighttown? While being cursed, I got as far as to some waterwheel thing I had to stand on, and then defeated some dudes with darts and their fire dogs with my ranged weapons. Then I walked over some big tree branches, and then climbed up two ladders and didn't know where to go next. And fell down from the /walkway/big branches when trying to go back again.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If you want a shorter trip and are willing to pay more, the female undead merchant in the shortcut leading back to Firelink also sells purging stones. But I think she charges twice as much as Oswald.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Wiseblood posted:

If you want a shorter trip and are willing to pay more, the female undead merchant in the shortcut leading back to Firelink also sells purging stones. But I think she charges twice as much as Oswald.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Downs Duck posted:

EDIT: Btw, how far is it to the next bonfire after the first one in Blighttown? While being cursed, I got as far as to some waterwheel thing I had to stand on, and then defeated some dudes with darts and their fire dogs with my ranged weapons. Then I walked over some big tree branches, and then climbed up two ladders and didn't know where to go next. And fell down from the /walkway/big branches when trying to go back again.

If you made it to the water wheel, you probably walked right past the swamp bonfire. Look for a tunnel area along the direct path from the way into the swamp to the water wheel.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

If you made it to the water wheel, you probably walked right past the swamp bonfire. Look for a tunnel area along the direct path from the way into the swamp to the water wheel.

Great, thanks.

One final question, if you'll indulge me: The Shadow Armor I found says in the description on the leggings part (as well as the other 3 parts) that it is especially poison resistant. But it seems to me on the stats that the Black Leather Leggings Boots (31 poison resistance) in the Thief Armor has even higher resistance to poison than the Shadow Armor leggings? Is this a typo or something, or is the Thief Armor leggings boots preferable over Shadow Armor leggings when resisting poison? Maybe there's some bonus I miss by going with the thief leggings Boots and the other 3 parts shadow armor than the whole set of Shadow Armor?

EDIT: Using my Google-fu to check armor bonus, it seems there are none. So I'll go with the 3/4 Shadow Set and the 1/4 Thief set (just the boots) for best poison resistance.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 17, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

poison stuff

Just so you know, poison last a set amount of time and does a set amount of damage regardless of your resistance. Higher poison resistance is just useful for having a longer bar to fill up, though I don't think it makes a ton of difference. This might seem useful for avoiding toxic status but that will usually wreck you at this point of the game anyway since it fills really fast from the blow-dart guys in Blighttown. If your trying to avoid intoxication to clear out the area loaded with blow-dart guys, you're better off inflicting poison on yourself and then kill them, since you can't get toxic'd while already poisoned (yeah just dung pie yourself), and poison has a really negligible effect for the most part. There's an item you definitely don't want to pass up in that section.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 17, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You can absolutely get toxic'd while poisoned. You can't, however, get toxic'd while already toxic'd, and not all toxics are created equal. Toxic yourself with dung pies, for a weaker toxic effect than the blowdart snipers.

As for the poison resistance on the shadow set - the description says that it's very poison resistant, which it is. Don't necessarily take that to mean that it's hands-down the single best poison resistance in the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WELP I just accidentally killed Quelaag's sister with a stray button press. There goes the stuff I was doing for that covenant. :shepicide:

Kind of hilarious but also depressing.

At... at least I have a spare Fire Keeper's Soul now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

WELP I just accidentally killed Quelaag's sister with a stray button press. There goes the stuff I was doing for that covenant. :shepicide:

Kind of hilarious but also depressing.

At... at least I have a spare Fire Keeper's Soul now.

:stonklol: You did what?!

Hope you didn't care too much about Solaire.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I know, I specifically wanted to save him which is why I was in that covenant. What happened was that when I last played a couple of days ago I bought and attuned some new Pyromancies from Eiygni and then quit. So when I picked it up again today I was right by her bonfire with Fire Storm selected. All it took was bumping RB just as I started and she was gone.

RIP mute spider lady. :smith:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Regy Rusty posted:

Relelvant (Watch the first 55 seconds, then probably close if it you don't want any spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKeGpcyJM8

Maybe watch the rest once you're done with the Izalith areas in their entirety if you enjoy shadenfreude :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I know, I specifically wanted to save him which is why I was in that covenant. What happened was that when I last played a couple of days ago I bought and attuned some new Pyromancies from Eiygni and then quit. So when I picked it up again today I was right by her bonfire with Fire Storm selected. All it took was bumping RB just as I started and she was gone.

RIP mute spider lady. :smith:

She's not actually mute, just talking in a language you can't understand. :ssh:

Unless you have and make use of a certain item possibly related to her "family".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been so careful next to NPCs all game too, even though I knew I probably wouldn't kill most of them in one hit and could seek absolution. Of course she had to be the one with like no HP.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

:stonklol: You did what?!

Hope you didn't care too much about Solaire.

To be fair, there pretty much isn't any good ending for Solaire.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
I recently finally started playing Dark Souls, thinking I'd better get it out of the way before GFWL goes tits-up, before Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC. I used to think it was ugly and unplayable, then I fixed my resolution and finally beat the loving parish gargoyles.

I've died a thousand times since then. I'm about to go for NG+ for the first time and already have two more characters on the go. Is this where the real Dark Souls begins? Because I feel like I've seen and done a lot of cool things already.

I accidentally aggroed and then kicked Rhea and pals off the cliff at Firelink the first time I met them so haven't been using miracles much. I've got a 19 in Resistance because I always make a tramp character with hella saving throws who can eat garbage if a system lets me. I refused to join the Chaos covenant because nobody is laying their eggs in my loving head. I've PvPed and engaged in jolly bro-operation dressed like some kind of badass Oni. I've gotten scared by creepy skeletons in the dark and I've had a square go with a dragon.

edit: forgot the Manticore-style chimera. I'm always banging on about how I want to see more manticores in games. Once again Dark Souls surprises, delights, delivers and makes me wish I hadn't literally just taken the [Rusted Iron Ring, in this case] off.

This has been my Dark Souls experience.

I can't believe it was worth it, all the stuff this loving game put me through, but it was. It was worth all the stumbling and fumbling and dying and rolling the wrong way and attacks queued up back in days of yore popping out at the least convenient moments. Now to do it over again, harder. At least now I'm starting to know what I'm doing, I think.

finna udders fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

animatorZed posted:

Relelvant (Watch the first 55 seconds, then probably close if it you don't want any spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKeGpcyJM8

Maybe watch the rest once you're done with the Izalith areas in their entirety if you enjoy shadenfreude :)

I can't see youtube at work but if that's not the Giant Bomb bit I'm going to be seriously cross with you :colbert:

What do people think of Grant as a weapon? That looks like it'd fit my wants of Str+Fth handily.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Whaaaaat is this Four Kings nonsense? :stare:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, it's more like Infinite Kings, really

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
Or possibly Two Kings if you're that good.

Gobblecoque posted:

I firmly believe he goes on to linking the fire in his own world after you rescue him. :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

^^^
Or possibly Two Kings if you're that good.

I firmly believe he goes on to linking the fire in his own world after you rescue him. :colbert:
Like we said, no good ending. :smith:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can cut it down to One Kings, if you're determined, but where's the fun in that?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

If sun bro-fighting Gwyn is wrong, then I don't wanna be right~

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

To be fair, there pretty much isn't any good ending.

Is there even anything positive that happens in Dark Souls?

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What do people think of Grant as a weapon? That looks like it'd fit my wants of Str+Fth handily.

It took some time to get used to, since it's so slow and heavy, but after I got the great advice (from this thread, thanks!) to never use lock-on its slowly becoming my one of my favorite weapons! The ridiculous stat requirements mean you won't get to use it one-handed before sl ~70, though. What's great about it is the two-handed rolling attack, the zweihander-esque 1h strong attack, and obviously the two-handed strong attack that's pretty much a twice-as-strong Wrath of the Gods.

To be fair, the stat requirements and split damage make it hard to say it's an objectively great weapon. You'll do more damage at 40 str with a Man-serpent Greatsword, which is also faster and much lighter, and at 46 strength the Demon Greataxe is a lighter and much more damaging weapon. But if you stock up on repair powder, and don't forget your miracles, the Grant is really fun to use .)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Apparently the four kings are vulnerable to the incredibly elegant strategy of "spam pyromancy and attack and try to kill them before you run out of estus". My shield was much less effective than some nice magic defense armor.

So is that really all that's down in New Londo? I guess I can head to the Catacombs or maybe that door in Anor Londo next.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Is there even anything positive that happens in Dark Souls?

Killing that weirdo Gwyndolyn.

Something I'd never even though about : Is it possible to invade in TotG?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Apparently the four kings are vulnerable to the incredibly elegant strategy of "spam pyromancy and attack and try to kill them before you run out of estus". My shield was much less effective than some nice magic defense armor.

So is that really all that's down in New Londo? I guess I can head to the Catacombs or maybe that door in Anor Londo next.

If you've gotten the Very Large Ember to +15 your weapons, and killed Four Kings, you've done everything important in New Londo. If you haven't gotten the Very Large Ember yet, go grab that - it's crazy useful.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yup. That's all there is to it. Absolutely nothing else there. And there still would have been nothing there if you had come earlier/first with the LordVessel since this place wasn't sealed off by a giant light screen. Nope, nothing to see here, just endless abyss.

Well you could always farm Chunks I suppose.

HGH fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 17, 2014

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

HGH posted:

Yup. That's all there is to it. Absolutely nothing else there. And there still would have been nothing there if you had come earlier/first with the LordVessel. Nope, nothing to see here, just endless abyss.

Well you could always farm Chunks I suppose.

Or even without the lordvessel :ssh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Well, I didn't, and then I got sucked into a painting and now I have demonic harpies killing me left and right. The snow would be pretty but it's all drab and grey.

also gently caress those phalanx assholes, I actually used (black) firebombs for the first time in ages but they beat me half to poo poo and I ran out of estus flasks and then a hollow killed me.

Man hollows do a lot of damage.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 17, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ciaphas posted:

I can't see youtube at work but if that's not the Giant Bomb bit I'm going to be seriously cross with you :colbert:

Oh ye of little faith. Worry not.

That really was just a perfect moment, though :)

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Orv posted:

Killing that weirdo Gwyndolyn.

Something I'd never even though about : Is it possible to invade in TotG?

Yes, and its fun as hell. Keep in mind that light sources other than your own don't function for you, so you can run around with the light spell or the chaos bug on your head and still be absolutely dark on the host's screen (outside the range of their own light, that is). The limited lock-on range applies as well, which means you can break line-of-sight and just disappear into the darkness whenever you please. There are tons of annoying enemies to lead invadees into. It's a really fun and dangerous place to fight in. Best of all, folks generally don't expect invaders there. You rarely run into gank squads and the like. Plenty of NG+ people, though, but they're rarely looking for a PVP fight so it's not like they're insurmountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yes, and its fun as hell. Keep in mind that light sources other than your own don't function for you, so you can run around with the light spell or the chaos bug on your head and still be absolutely dark on the host's screen (outside the range of their own light, that is).

Except for the whole glowing red thing that invaders do

• Locked thread