Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Iron Rose posted:

Man Executioner Smough is such an rear end in a top hat, especially when he gets all electricy and kicks my rear end seven ways to sunday.

The secret to super-Smough is to stay up in his junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gravelord Nito, first of the dead, unleashed a miasma of death and disease BUNCH OF GIANT SKELETONS.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Started a SL1 run through a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm still impressed by how much gear matters over level. It was surprisingly easy to kill 4 kings with just stone giant armour and a fire mace, I managed to get them on my first try. I was worried I would need lightning to damage them enough, but I wanted to go Darkwraith before I got to Anor Londo. I'm sure I'll be an rear end in a top hat and murder some poor new players in the Parish, but I actually enjoy fair fights in Dark Souls PVP. I am tempted to level up to 2 though so I can use longswords, but I might wait until after I beat most of the bosses just to keep the run pure.

If you want something faster than a club, a +5 chaos handaxe is surprisingly good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Gravelord Nito, first of the dead, unleashed a miasma of death and disease BUNCH OF GIANT SKELETONS.

I think there's a way for you to not aggro them? Killing the smaller ones isn't much trouble but the rest can be problematic. Hit and run tactics work pretty well.
Also for the love of all that is holy use your ears during this fight. So many people seem to miss the audio queues when you can't see Nito.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ChaosArgate posted:

The secret to super-Smough is to stay up in his junk.

I ended up doing it on my second try! With no summons! I feel like I might be a bit overlevelled though, I'm SL 70 with most of it dumped into Vitality and Endurance since I'm using a chaos weapon by and large.

e: Man now I see what folks were saying with the incessant 'gorgeous view ahead' messages.

I wonder if I can kill her too, she seems sus.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 18, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

First of the dead more like LAST of the LIVING :smug: wait what

Surprisingly easy on my second attempt once I popped out my divine Halberd and got rid of the skeletons. I guess giant unknowable masses of bone and decay are super flammable.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Some idiot left Nito's coffin open for like centuries. All that moisture evaporated and gathered up-funnel in the room with the pinwheels. Why do you think that water spawns skeleton babies?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So where should I check out the next time I play? Ways I know to go are Demon Ruins which still scares me, and that door in Anor Londo. I assume Demon Ruins will get me the Witch of Izalith's soul eventually (though from what Quelana told me, I'm guessing I won't be fighting the Witch herself). Seath the Scaleless is probably in Anor Londo so that's the last two souls Framt told me to get. But what about the Furtive Pigmy, and I think people mentioned there's a DLC area? Is there somewhere else to go that I have missed? Or are there more paths further in to the two areas I know about?

I can't believe I'm closing in on the end. :(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You should maybe check out the church where you rang the first bell and found your first firekeeper soul.

I think it might be too late if you beat Nito, but maybe if you are lucky, there's something there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

You should maybe check out the church where you rang the first bell and found your first firekeeper soul.

I think it might be too late if you beat Nito, but maybe if you are lucky, there's something there.

I ran through there earlier today on my way to Oswald, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll go check again next time, but what am I looking for?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

I ran through there earlier today on my way to Oswald, but I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll go check again next time, but what am I looking for?

Things occasionally change when you talk to people enough or explore a new area.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Has there been any word how DS is going to work when GFWL gets put in front of the firing squad?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Regy Rusty posted:

First of the dead more like LAST of the LIVING :smug: wait what

Surprisingly easy on my second attempt once I popped out my divine Halberd and got rid of the skeletons. I guess giant unknowable masses of bone and decay are super flammable.
There should be a neat set of armor in his chamber after you beat him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

There should be a neat set of armor in his chamber after you beat him.

Yeah I found that.

You guys made me curious so I went to check real quick. Reah was there and she sells me miracles now. Doesn't help me any but hey, I'm just pleased I was genuinely able to save someone's life.

She said Petrus fled and abandoned her. What a jerk.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You should go ice him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alright, I got the Parish on lockdown, I feel like I got the hang of this game now, time to hit the Catacombs :smug:
15 minutes later
:derp::supaburn::derp:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I found that.

You guys made me curious so I went to check real quick. Reah was there and she sells me miracles now. Doesn't help me any but hey, I'm just pleased I was genuinely able to save someone's life.

Um, if you want to keep that feeling you helped someone you might want to deal with Petrus.

Oh and you aren't approaching the absolute end. You still need to find the key to the DLC.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Alright, I got the Parish on lockdown, I feel like I got the hang of this game now, time to hit the Catacombs :smug:
15 minutes later
:derp::supaburn::derp:

Haha, this is exactly me an hour ago.

I'm trying to knock the game over before GFWL dies after putting it off for ages.

I cleared the parish, darkroot forest places, so hit the catacombs. I'm breezing through it OK, clearing out Necromancers with my Black Knight Sword at +4 and a heap of Str, Stam and Endurance at SL 43 and I got to a place with a heap of coffins in it.

Oh hey a Titanite Demon, why isn't he jumping at me? YOU DIED!
Lets try this passage way off to the side this time, oh another loving necromancer no problem I guess, and through this doorway, what's that clanking sound? YOU DIED!
OK, new plan there was a hole in the ground on the way to that Necromancer with some loot in it, drop down, oh cool a soul, OH gently caress A BLACK KNIGHT. YOU DIED!
Maybe if I go through that crumbly bit of wall, OH poo poo SKELETONS EVERYWHERE, let me just carefully back up to this doorway so these archers can't hit my. YOU DIED! What the gently caress, where did that giant skeleton come from?

Jokes on you game, it's day 1 of a 4 day weekend. :smug:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Your glorious optimism makes your posts some of my favorite to read. Every person's posts as they discover Dark Souls are my favorite posts.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rudager posted:

Haha, this is exactly me an hour ago.

I'm trying to knock the game over before GFWL dies after putting it off for ages.

OK, new plan there was a hole in the ground on the way to that Necromancer with some loot in it, drop down, oh cool a soul, OH gently caress A BLACK KNIGHT. YOU DIED!

That loving knight, sitting smug and invisible on a loving cliff above a chasm filled with bonewheels, that fucker buried an axe into my brain after I spent 15 minutes dancing around skeleton hamster balls like a loving bitch.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
? There's a black knight there? I thought it was just that summonable guy. Is there a black knight down there???? :psyduck:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah. With an axe, no less.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I always thought the Axe-wielding Black Knights were a bit rare compared to the others. I saw one end game, but never considered that it would have one hanging out elsewhere like the others.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Are there any good videos out there of people messing with Dark Souls code?

There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvku-36Fq0M but I recall numerous videos that involved playing as other characters (even bosses, who had their attacks bound to weird buttons) and I can't seem to find those.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The one in Catacombs is the only axe wielding one in the game prior to Kiln. He also has the distinction of humiliating me last time I visited the Catacombs, because I fell in such a way that he was able to slam me on the way down and insta-kill me on top of the fall damage.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Orv posted:

The one in Catacombs is the only axe wielding one in the game prior to Kiln. He also has the distinction of humiliating me last time I visited the Catacombs, because I fell in such a way that he was able to slam me on the way down and insta-kill me on top of the fall damage.

If you're lucky enough to get that axe and you did so fairly early in the game, you should pretty much just build your character around it. It's easily one of the best weapons in the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Whaaaaaat the gently caress are these dinosaur assholes in lost izalith doing? I kinda want to ride one now. Eh.

Also wow demon ruins and lost izaleth are drab as poo poo. They could've done so much more with a lava level! instead it's just kinda bleh in all honesty.

Also #2 I think I'm overlevelled a bit. I'm SL70 or so and finished O&S on the second try. I've never been able to get summoning to work, or invading for that matter, but regardless I'm finding I'm pretty easily handling bosses on the first or second tries! It's actually pretty chill, but I feel like I'm missing some of the, y'know :darksouls: challenge. Or something. I dunno! We'll see how the three remaining lords treat me.

E: I take it back, I've died a half dozen times to the bed of chaos!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Has there been any word how DS is going to work when GFWL gets put in front of the firing squad?

It won't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you're lucky enough to get that axe and you did so fairly early in the game, you should pretty much just build your character around it. It's easily one of the best weapons in the game.

I did get the axe that next life but I also did that many many playthroughs ago. :v: Currently doing a Mail Breaker + Parrying Dagger only run because I hate myself.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 18, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Whaaaaaat the gently caress are these dinosaur assholes in lost izalith doing? I kinda want to ride one now. Eh.

Also wow demon ruins and lost izaleth are drab as poo poo. They could've done so much more with a lava level! instead it's just kinda bleh in all honesty.

Lost Izalith and demon ruins were clearly in some sort of development hell and were not completed.

If you took out the constant stream of mini-boss fights, and the dragon butts the area is incredibly short and plain. Their positioning also felt like a placeholder, like at the last minute a dude just ran around the level spamming "npc spawn taurusdemon", there are angles where you can clearly see mapping voids in LI, etc. etc.

It kind of sucks, it might've been a really interesting dungeon but it seems From didn't have enough time.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Orv posted:

I knew about the trap involving that guy but I didn't know he can aggro on you while fighting the wheel skeletons.

Now I know. :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I found that.

Really been enjoying your posts as you move through the game. The key to the dlc is in that new area in Anor Londo. It's pretty early in if you want to grab it then pop back out to do the dlc first. Also there are a couple of super secret areas hidden below Blighttown, now that you can warp you should seek them out as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Huh. Bed of Chaos was pretty easy once I figured out the pattern. And cast flash sweat beforehand. And wore that lovely fire protection ring you get waaaay early in the game. Pretty easy after a dozen tries or so, at any rate. I actually managed to survive the whole inferno thing it does though!

Now, off to the catacombs, I think.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So my grindingaimless wanderings in Darkroot forest meant I walked over Pinwheel like he wasn't even there, if it wasn't for the cinematic, I wouldn't have even realised he was a boss.

And now pitch black caves!

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Rudager posted:

So my grindingaimless wanderings in Darkroot forest meant I walked over Pinwheel like he wasn't even there, if it wasn't for the cinematic, I wouldn't have even realised he was a boss.

Pinwheel's just not a real boss. He's cool, though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Beat the game a while back as a strength based character. Starting again as a sorcerer with some focus in Dex as well. What level does my strength need to be at to use all the good Dex weapons?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Yesterday, I got invaded for the first time.

I was closing in on the bonfire in the swamp, which someone here told me about, when some glowing red font started blinking on my screen. I almost poo poo my pants. Someone called Mildred invaded me. But then I realized I'd just fought my way through Blighttown while cursed, and suddenly felt like a Fremen fighting a Sardaukar. Mildred died. Brutally. So, you know, no more of that guys. :ohdear:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sadly, Maneater Mildred was not a player phantom, but an NPC one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It's not a real invasion unless the phantom is called some variation of xXxSephirot420xXx

• Locked thread