Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Genocyber posted:

There's no point bothering with the guy on the left, he can't hit you once you're up on the ledge and a bit to the right. Just rush the guy on the right and parry him or something.

There is one of the 10k souls behind the one on the left, though. And he's easy enough to kill once the one on the right is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Even if there wasn't a pittance of souls behind him I still kill him because gently caress those guys.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Okay, so Dragonslayer bow-ing invaders off cliffs is the funniest loving thing.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay, so Dragonslayer bow-ing invaders off cliffs is the funniest loving thing.

Which gives me a reason to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LlLUFfa6Y

That is just loving cruel.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So seems I missed the depths when I was clearing out Undead Burg, and once again I have to applaud From Software for their level design.

The levels feel huge and distinct, but they're all so tightly interconnected at the same time with so many different paths to take, none of which are the "correct" one.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Which gives me a reason to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LlLUFfa6Y

That is just loving cruel.

This is amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Killed the Hydra and finally dealt to the fat rear end in a top hat at the bottom of the watchtower, I feel like I'm getting the hang of the combat now which means I'm probably about to get the poo poo kicked out of me by some standard nobody enemies :ohdear:

I've taken to using the Winged Spear instead of the Drake Sword, I quite like it and I reinforced it to +5 - but I'm still confused over exactly what to do in terms of upgrading it further, should I go Divine or Lightning or Fire or Normal etc?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I've taken to using the Winged Spear instead of the Drake Sword, I quite like it and I reinforced it to +5 - but I'm still confused over exactly what to do in terms of upgrading it further, should I go Divine or Lightning or Fire or Normal etc?

Depends really, on what your build focus is and where you are in the game. Divine is helpful on a weapon for Catacombs/Nito, but not all the time, so you should get it on a non-main weapon. Unless you are a faith focused build that is. Have you gotten the Ligtning spear from Sens? If so I'd skip lightning on the Winged Spear. Fire on the other hand is definitely worth considering. You could easily use a fire spear and lightning spear to cover both weakness options.

Toss up between fire and normal I say. Winged spears scaling is a B rating in dex after +10, certainly can take it up the normal path to +15.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 20, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't been to Sen's yet, so in that case I think I'll try Fire, and put together a Divine weapon alternate for when I tackle the Catacombs. At the moment I'm screwing around in Darkroot Garden, I think I've done everything there is to do in Darkroot Basin and I got my rear end kicked when I accidentally found myself in The Valley of the Drakes, so I'll stick with the Garden for now since I already beat the Moonlight Butterfly but didn't really explore the garden itself too much.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't been to Sen's yet, so in that case I think I'll try Fire, and put together a Divine weapon alternate for when I tackle the Catacombs.

Wait, don't you need to go to Catacombs to even get the fire upgrade path. I mean, I suppose you could just rush past everything.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't been to Sen's yet, so in that case I think I'll try Fire, and put together a Divine weapon alternate for when I tackle the Catacombs. At the moment I'm screwing around in Darkroot Garden, I think I've done everything there is to do in Darkroot Basin and I got my rear end kicked when I accidentally found myself in The Valley of the Drakes, so I'll stick with the Garden for now since I already beat the Moonlight Butterfly but didn't really explore the garden itself too much.

Jokes on you to access Fire upgrades you need to venture the Catacombs.
EDIT: Even though Divine weapons do more damage to skeletons, they're aren't really required for the catacombs but do make the trip easier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

neetengie posted:

Jokes on you to access Fire upgrades you need to venture the Catacombs.
EDIT: Even though Divine weapons do more damage to skeletons, they're aren't really required for the catacombs but do make the trip easier.

A couple days ago I ventured into the Catacombs and pushed through a little distance in (I have no idea how big the place is) and killed I think three of the necromancers, which means just the skeletons are left in there at the moment. I found it quite frustrating though and if I can get a weapon that stops them being respawned by other necromancers further inside (or by the Boss apparently?) that would be helpful.

It seems I was missing Green Titanite anyway, so I think from looking up where to get it that it is time I ventured timidly into Blighttown.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

A couple days ago I ventured into the Catacombs and pushed through a little distance in (I have no idea how big the place is) and killed I think three of the necromancers, which means just the skeletons are left in there at the moment. I found it quite frustrating though and if I can get a weapon that stops them being respawned by other necromancers further inside (or by the Boss apparently?) that would be helpful.

It seems I was missing Green Titanite anyway, so I think from looking up where to get it that it is time I ventured timidly into Blighttown.

I think there's only 4 necromancers there's 6 lol, and you can quickly rush through the zone with a striking weapon like the mace. You have access to one Green titanite when visiting Vamos.

Also
"Every Skeleton in the Catacombs belongs to a Necromancer. If the Necromancer is still alive, the Skeleton will revive if you don't kill it with a weapon with a Holy modifier. They are usually at a hard to reach places and they will run away if you approach them."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Divine weapons do not deal more damage to skeletons; they outright prevent them from being reanimated.

Still respawn after resting at a bonfire, but if you've pulled the levels for the bridges, there is nothing preventing you from just doing some parkour shortcutting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow Ash Lake is seriously one of the coolest looking areas in the game so far. This is where the battle between the Four Lords and the dragons took place isn't it?

Can't believe they hid this away and made it optional.

E: Oooh There's even a dragon here. Even as those who killed his kin are fading, the everlasting dragon persists.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 20, 2014

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

neetengie posted:

I think there's only 4 necromancers there's 6 lol, and you can quickly rush through the zone with a striking weapon like the mace. You have access to one Green titanite when visiting Vamos.

Also
"Every Skeleton in the Catacombs belongs to a Necromancer. If the Necromancer is still alive, the Skeleton will revive if you don't kill it with a weapon with a Holy modifier. They are usually at a hard to reach places and they will run away if you approach them."

Yeah there's only one necromancer that was a pain for me to find and kill while running from skeletons. The destructible wall one.

All this skeleton talk reminds me of my all-time favorite front page thing

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Divine weapons do not deal more damage to skeletons; they outright prevent them from being reanimated.

They do both, and use the divine damage multiplier listed on the weapon info page

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow Ash Lake is seriously one of the coolest looking areas in the game so far. This is where the battle between the Four Lords and the dragons took place isn't it?

E: Oooh There's even a dragon here. Even as those who killed his kin are fading, the everlasting dragon persists.

What if they didn't kill all the dragons and said "gently caress it we killed a good amount" and left the rest to scatter? :ssh: Or they were lazyasses or bad at their jobs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh also apparently I joined a Covenant? I was in Darkroot Garden and being chased by angry ghost men when I bumped into a giant cat who told me not to bother looking for some guy I never heard of and join her super-cool club instead. I figured why not and now apparently I'm free to wonder the garden at will? She gave me a ring to "summon" me to deal with "invaders" which I suspect is some kind of PVP thing? So probably not something I'm going to bother with, but it's nice to belong to something :shobon:

Also I made the dumb mistake of paying the 12k souls for the crest to open that sealed door in the garden, only to discover while exploring that it was accessible through the tall ladder at the back of the lake where I'd already killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin :doh:

poo poo, it was 20k souls now that I think about. Goddammit.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The easiest fix for a Divine weapon is Astora's Straight Sword since it's easy to obtain and requires no titanite investment.

e; the crest is a pretty huge shortcut if you're stuck on the boss for that region, since there's a bonfire literally 1 second away from that door.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was a nasty surprise in the Duke's Archives.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lord Lambeth posted:

Oh god I got to those archers in Anor Londo.

Yeah, I think that's where I'll stop playing forever. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a bonfire right next to them but running through half of Anor Londo before falling to my death gets old fast.

Please tell me Dark Souls 2 doesn't have that kind of bullshit.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

That was a nasty surprise in the Duke's Archives.

After the first fog door? :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I think that's where I'll stop playing forever. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a bonfire right next to them but running through half of Anor Londo before falling to my death gets old fast.

I just got past them and there is a bonfire right around the corner. Solaire is hanging out there.

also help I am at the fight with Ornstein and Smough and I have zero humanity.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

omeg posted:

After the first fog door? :v:

Yep that's the one. If I'd realized what was coming I could've worn a ring of sacrifice but... I didn't. At least I only lost about 20,000 souls. Not even enough for a level up these days. I'm about to fight him again, presumably for real this time. Though that fall is concerning me at the moment.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I just got past them and there is a bonfire right around the corner. Solaire is hanging out there.

You can do it! It's more fun to beat them without summons anyway! By the way there's a shortcut that I didn't even realize existed until I started helping people - there's a room right across from the titanite demon that has a staircase down and two silver knights and some chests. If you open that door from the inside, you're back out in the area near the bonfire. It's much quicker to just run through that room than to go all the way up to the roof and back down which is what I kept doing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

You can beat them without summons! Try it, really. Its an amazing feeling.

If you don't want to do that, drop your summon sign and help other people beat them. You'll learn the boss' moves and junk, and if you win, you'll earn a nice hunk of souls and some humanity.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

My secret shame is still not being able to beat O&S (Ornstein last) on my SL1 run. Had him one hit away from death one time but well... Didn't quite make it. I should get on that before DS2 comes out. Beating Manus in Artorias outfit (greatsword, no shield) felt really loving good, but I imagine pulling off that SL1 O&S kill will be even better.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

NTT posted:

The easiest fix for a Divine weapon is Astora's Straight Sword since it's easy to obtain and requires no titanite investment.
There is also an occult club in Anor Londo, downgrade that to divine for another easy option.

ymgve posted:

You can do what I did my first run: Cheese the hell out of them with long-range poison arrows.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Try tail.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Crossbows are amazing for SL1 runs. No stat scaling, so they get pretty good with just upgrades. Except the sniper crossbow, that's one is pretty terrible. It let me beat O&S in one attempt on my run, since big O got stuck in a loop firing lightning at a column stump and I just kept shooting.

Zedd posted:

There is also an occult club in Anor Londo, downgrade that to divine for another easy option.
If you're strength-based the club is good, otherwise the Silver Knight Spear is pretty amazing, but you have to farm for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
For my sl1 OnS battle I used a lightning axe on Smough, then switched over to a fire mace for Orny, as those are their elemental weaknesses. Just back up a lot, block them with the pillars and wait for the opportunity to get a hit in on your target. Patience is a big part of the fight I found.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh also apparently I joined a Covenant? I was in Darkroot Garden and being chased by angry ghost men when I bumped into a giant cat who told me not to bother looking for some guy I never heard of and join her super-cool club instead. I figured why not and now apparently I'm free to wonder the garden at will? She gave me a ring to "summon" me to deal with "invaders" which I suspect is some kind of PVP thing? So probably not something I'm going to bother with, but it's nice to belong to something :shobon:

If you're a dex character you should head back down to Blighttown while you're still a Catbro, there's a new merchant at the bottom of the water wheel with some sweet dexterity weapons. Also the ninja flippy ring, though he won't just give that up for some souls...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Downs Duck posted:

I was really just going to focus on the story and the single player of the game, but I want to maybe try some invading of my own later on. It sounds like you guys are having way too much fun with it for me not to partake. It's probably the main reason why I haven't gotten any npc to join in my fights too, since I've been ignoring any soulsign except for the orange messages.

The multiplayer is a lot of fun especially with a fun gimmick, if only for the reactions it causes.

From shield blocking the path up to the AL archers:

Bow/Crossbow Build:

"Your phantom was delicious."

I'd like to point out that at most with these I would send out a message wishing them a nice day, or one was wishing them a happy black history month.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

More like try fireball. He went down so fast! Only whatever is left of the Witch remains. That and the DLC... though I still don't know how to access it. I got a new key item in the archives - the broken pendant. What do I do with it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that is hilarious, Nuns with Guns.

Regy Rusty posted:

More like try fireball. He went down so fast! Only whatever is left of the Witch remains. That and the DLC... though I still don't know how to access it. I got a new key item in the archives - the broken pendant. What do I do with it?

Go behind the hydra. If there is a giant golden ice guy there, you might need to do it a couple of times to open the portal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A GIANT HAND GRABBED ME

This was a baaaad idea.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So, I've never actually played Dark Souls, mostly cause I can't get it because GFWL makes it so it doesn't even show up as an option to purchase(apparently it dislikes my country and stops me from getting anything with it). I was waiting for that godawful service to die but apparently it's gonna take down multiplayer with it and that sucks. Anything I can do to get around it?

Regy Rusty posted:

I think he meant the tail for another thing.

Regy Rusty posted:

A GIANT HAND GRABBED ME

This was a baaaad idea.

More like the best idea. Enjoy some good quality areas and game design. Too bad you left Demon Ruins for last, since the DLC makes up for its badness.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Any tips for fighting the hydra in the lake? Barigas of the Sunlight maggot has been getting naked and it's not working.

In other news, on my faith dex character I got a BSS. Not sure what upgrade path I want to do with it though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I figured the tail drops something like most other tails, but getting behind him was annoying so I didn't really care.

Should I go do Demon's Ruin first then? I think I can still warp out of here once I beat this boss.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Crap, I forgot my favorite one.

I think I was called a human being in Russian for teasing a forest hacker about eating 4 divine blessings before he managed to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I figured the tail drops something like most other tails, but getting behind him was annoying so I didn't really care.

Should I go do Demon's Ruin first then? I think I can still warp out of here once I beat this boss.

It doesn't lock you in anyway, you can teleport out whenever. All bonfires are teleportable in that area, since it is really, really, really hard.

• Locked thread