Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
You can only use weapon buffs like sunlight blade on non-elemental weapons that upgrade with regular titanite, so you can't use it on a lightning falchion because it already has lightning damage and you can't use it on the catch pole because it uses special titanite for upgrading it.

Seconding that making the falchion a lightning weapon is a really dumb idea since splitting damage types on weapons that have low base damage makes them do basically no damage on enemies that have large amounts of defense like Artorias. A dex/faith build gets good damage out of a fast normal upgrade path weapon like a falchion or a katana buffed with sunlight blade or a slower, higher damage divine/occult weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Ugh, it looked like the raw damage from adding lightning was stronger than the scaling bonus. At +10, anyway. I guess I'll back out, grab the scythe and see if I like that, downgrade the falchion, see if I can't grind chunks anywhere, and see how that goes.

At first lightning will always be better than the scaling options because your stats will be too low to really take advantage of it, but there't really no reason to make a falchion lightning ever. A Zweihander or something like it that deals a ton of damage naturally is great because the boost it gets is huge and it won't fall noticeably behind until somewhere in NG+.

edit: The two royal guards just before O&S drop titanite chunks and they're really easy to get to once you've killed the boss. Darkwraiths do as well but they're a little more obnoxious to walk back to.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 20, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Time to go rub my face in giant butts! I did get Artorias down though. As it happens, two other players with seriously messed up equipment were smashing their faces against Artorias and losing, so we joined forces. My lovely falchion drew his attention while their lovely crossbows and scythes ground him down. It's actually pretty funny.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Have any of you guys read the Book of the New Sun?
Takes place in a very distant and bleak future where a wandering torturer/executioner with a cool sword is fated to be a messianic figure who will either extinguish or rekindle the dying sun. He also meets a bunch of mysterious or once powerful godlike beings.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ugh, it looked like the raw damage from adding lightning was stronger than the scaling bonus. At +10, anyway. I guess I'll back out, grab the scythe and see if I like that, downgrade the falchion, see if I can't grind chunks anywhere, and see how that goes.

Something that is non-obvious about Dark Souls mechanics: Each damage type gets resisted separately. So 100 normal damge + 100 lightning damage is probably much worse than 150 of either kind.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Tae posted:

The Great Sycthe has some stupid amount of riposte damage if that's your thing, but it's basically the equivalent of a a claymore's area range combined with the longest spear, with a halberd's attack. For a dex weapon of all things.

Alright, alright! I knew I'd had to reinstall the game sooner or later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pun pundit posted:

Something that is non-obvious about Dark Souls mechanics: Each damage type gets resisted separately. So 100 normal damge + 100 lightning damage is probably much worse than 150 of either kind.

For some reason I always thought it was the other way around and that made it more useful. Oh well. I've gotten the Gold Tracer, so I think I'm just going to replace the falchion with that, gently caress Sunlight Blade, take Power Within, Great Lightning Spear, Heal, and some pyromancy (great combustion, flame whip, or firestorm I guess) since I have 4 slots, and go with that. I have 30 faith I'm going to at least keep using GLS, even if I had to put down the person who sells Great Heal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A double post, but my armor is Ciaran's armor and the Silver Knight armor. Is it worth spending a load of souls on the twinkling titanite to upgrade it or should I not bother?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

A double post, but my armor is Ciaran's armor and the Silver Knight armor. Is it worth spending a load of souls on the twinkling titanite to upgrade it or should I not bother?

Yes, but not immediately. Do everything else you want to first and then use any leftover souls on armor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alabaster White posted:

Yes, but not immediately. Do everything else you want to first and then use any leftover souls on armor.

Thanks, it's handy by the end of DS2 but I didn't know if it was still the case in 1. The Gold Tracer is doing me pretty well (though I'm not bothering with the Silver one) so I think I'm going to stick with that and probably the balder shield just because I like it's looks the most.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RBA Starblade posted:

Once you beat Seath the Scaleless it's really easy to farm Twinkling Titanite to cover all your upgrading needs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why would you need to farm it when you can just buy it from the giant blacksmith? I'd prioritize weapons and a shield over upgrading armor, you just need to make sure you're in the right poise range.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I was just going to buy it all right out. With Lord's Blade/Silver Knight armor my poise is about 30 right now. I was just going for fashion to be honest. Before I put on the Lord's Blade stuff I was in the wanderer coat and black leather armor for a good bit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why would you need to farm it when you can just buy it from the giant blacksmith? I'd prioritize weapons and a shield over upgrading armor, you just need to make sure you're in the right poise range.

Farming 4-5 per short bonfire trip is much faster than getting 32,000 souls then running all the way to the blacksmith in Anor Londo. And this ain't DS2 where there's a limited number of enemy spawns.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The giant blacksmith is right in the middle of the best soul farming area in the entire game and is close to several bonfires. Running from the Princess Chamber bonfire and killing just those three enemies in the room before the boss will net you enough for one twinkling titanite, plus the potential of chunks dropping from the giants. It's a far better (and more efficient) way to do things than running all the way from the last bonfire in the Archives, past the golems, through the caves, and killing the clams.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Farming the clams gets you 4-5 Twinkling per run and enough souls to buy another Twinkling, plus the run back to the bonfire to respawn them is WAAAAY shorter.

EDIT: Why would you run all the way from the Duke's Archives? I'm talking about farming them directly from the bonfire that spawns after Seath is dead.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

The giant blacksmith is right in the middle of the best soul farming area in the entire game and is close to several bonfires. Running from the Princess Chamber bonfire and killing just those three enemies in the room before the boss will net you enough for one twinkling titanite, plus the potential of chunks dropping from the giants. It's a far better (and more efficient) way to do things than running all the way from the last bonfire in the Archives, past the golems, through the caves, and killing the clams.

Ya, but if you do it after you beat Seath, you can do it from his bonfire, and that's really fast. Either way, I usually have enough souls leftover towards the end of a run, after upgrading my weapons of choice and getting the stats I want, that buying the rest of the twinkling I need is pretty trivial (and popping soul items and boss souls I know I'm not going to use).

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Hello Dark Souls thread. I'm sure you've been asked this a thousand times, but does anyone have any tips for making this run better?
I'm using DSFix, and I have a fairly reasonable PC, but the game stutters quite a bit. It's using around 50% of both CPU and GPU. Would it be worthwhile moving it across to my SSD?

I'm almost tempted to just play without DSFix, it seems to run perfectly.

edit: does raising the framerate cap cause that many issues? I've heard it can do stuff like make you fall through elevators.

H2Eau fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 22, 2014

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
I'm looking an older video that has seemingly fallen off the internet.

They walk around and then die on the first skeleton, and then continue to die at every new thing, but it shows them sticking to it and making more and more progress and by the end they're parrying and riposting like a champ. It was a total :hellyeah: about sticking through it type thing.
I want to say it was roughly 3 minutes long but I could be wrong. Sorry for being vague. Hope it sounds familiar to someone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KwegiboHB posted:

I'm looking an older video that has seemingly fallen off the internet.

They walk around and then die on the first skeleton, and then continue to die at every new thing, but it shows them sticking to it and making more and more progress and by the end they're parrying and riposting like a champ. It was a total :hellyeah: about sticking through it type thing.
I want to say it was roughly 3 minutes long but I could be wrong. Sorry for being vague. Hope it sounds familiar to someone.

I've got your back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
Thank you, you are a godsend.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tarezax posted:

EDIT: Why would you run all the way from the Duke's Archives? I'm talking about farming them directly from the bonfire that spawns after Seath is dead.

Because I forgot that bonfire was a thing. :sigh:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

H2Eau posted:

Hello Dark Souls thread. I'm sure you've been asked this a thousand times, but does anyone have any tips for making this run better?
I'm using DSFix, and I have a fairly reasonable PC, but the game stutters quite a bit. It's using around 50% of both CPU and GPU. Would it be worthwhile moving it across to my SSD?

I'm almost tempted to just play without DSFix, it seems to run perfectly.
Have you gone through the DSFix settings and turned down/off the more taxing effects like SSAO or DoF? That usually doubles my fps or so. The default config is a bit on the "barely playable but really pretty" end (at least for me).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I know I have talked about Kingseeker Frampt being creepy as poo poo when you initially encounter him, but there was something really unsettling about first meeting "Gwynevere" in her chambers. Something about this gigantic figure who is obscured by lighting. Almost menacing, really. Maybe it's the proportions. Maybe it's the boob window.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know I have talked about Kingseeker Frampt being creepy as poo poo when you initially encounter him, but there was something really unsettling about first meeting "Gwynevere" in her chambers. Something about this gigantic figure who is obscured by lighting. Almost menacing, really. Maybe it's the proportions. Maybe it's the boob window.

try ranged battle.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hurrah for ranged battle

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Farming the clams gets you 4-5 Twinkling per run and enough souls to buy another Twinkling, plus the run back to the bonfire to respawn them is WAAAAY shorter.

Farming the Painted World phalanx is pretty drat quick too, and much more painless, in my opinion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I still laugh at how everyone was all like "well she's just an idealized form of how Gwyndolin wants to be because of his gender issues" then in that one interview linked in DS2 the artist is just like "nah I just really love boobs".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

at least he's honest.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Death of the artist, man. It can be both.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gosh it's hard to kill Manus when the game delays my rolls by a second, and when he does the open palm slap every time it actually manages to work when I press the button.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Summon Sif. He actually killed Manus for me while I was changing weapons out in the menu. Not sure the boss gets any buffs since the summon since is in the arena during the fight.

Note: he does like 20 damage a hit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Summon Sif. He actually killed Manus for me while I was changing weapons out in the menu. Not sure the boss gets any buffs since the summon since is in the arena during the fight.

Note: he does like 20 damage a hit

He refuses to fight. He's literally just running away.

e: It does not help that the gold tracer has to have me standing inside the model to hurt him. For like 120 damage. Or that GLS does 150. If it hits, which it won't. Also doesn't help that rolling is still delayed up to two seconds, if the game ever recognizes I pressed a button sometimes.

e: I give up, I'm just shooting him full of arrows. I didn't have all these rolling issues in my last two runs, or those backstab problems. What the hell changed?

Oh I guess I'm not since the darkmoon bow does 3 damage a hit.

e: With Sunlight Blade on the Great Scythe does almost as much damage to Manus as the gold tracer in one hit. Almost.

e: I quit. I'm starting over after 20 hours of bullshit. Dexterity is the biggest piece of poo poo imaginable. 3 hits with the gold tracer: 130 damage to Nito. I hit him more, but because curved swords are trash and I wasn't literally inside him, it didn't count.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 23, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What was your dexterity? I've had no issues wrecking poo poo with a falchion and 40 dex.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EightBit posted:

What was your dexterity? I've had no issues wrecking poo poo with a falchion and 40 dex.

Wondering about this too. My very first playthrough of this game (and my first time playing any Souls game) was with a dex build, because back then I thought sword&board was for losers (:cool:) and I still managed to beat the entire game with a curved sword. It definitely wasn't easy, and I probably made it a lot harder for myself than I had to but it was still absolutely doable.

That's not to mention spears. Right now I'm doing a playthrough with a friend, and I picked up a couple of Silver Knight Spears. Gave one to him, we both upgraded and now we don't see a need to ever use anything else as we're ripping through everything at a thousand miles per hour behind a shield at 2m away :toot:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Balder, Leo Ring, CMW. Challenge destroyed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EightBit posted:

30 because I was retarded enough to put points into faith for GLS, which while good, really, really wasn't worth the extra 8 levels, on top of managing enough strength for other weapons and hp and endurance, and 4 spell slots was overkill too. I didn't try spears besides Ornstein's which I didn't care for and needed more strength than I had to one hand, but on top of completely hating the other weapons now, I just completely hosed up the faith portion of it, and the whole thing just wasn't any fun at all anymore. Smashing my face against Manus and all those other bosses, losing repeatedly to things that were barely problems on my other characters, and then immediately getting shut down by Nito was just enough for me. I could actually kill most smaller enemies fine, but bosses just became more and more frustrating. This time I'm going Str/End and using pyromancy exclusively as a backup. Probably grab a big bow too because those were a lot better than I gave them credit for before. I still want to get all the way through the game again, even though I think the game peaks at Anor Londo.

I never saw a straight sword besides Astora's either. I got every other piece of balder equipment though! I bet one drops on the first knight I kill just to spite me.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 23, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

30 because I was retarded enough to put points into faith for GLS, which while good, really, really wasn't worth the extra 8 levels, on top of managing enough strength for other weapons and hp and endurance, and 4 spell slots was overkill too

Oh yeah, this is one of the worst things about Dark Souls. You can legitimately gimp yourself enough that the game is impossible for your skill level (it's possible to do SL1 runs, but that's for the people who have spent countless hundreds of hours) by spreading your stats too thin. I'm glad From saw the error of their ways and added a way to respec in Dark Souls 2. I was so used to DS2 (of which I have spent hundreds of hours)'s mechanics that I managed to do something similar in my last DS1 run and I just said "gently caress it" and re-allocated my stats using CE. v:v:v

e: I kinda feel like a DS1 run requires a lot of planning before even starting the game, in order to not get hosed down the line. Things like 1) what gear will I use, 2) what stats do I need minimum for it, 3) what/how many spells, etc.

The alternative is of course, as always, git gud :smug: Who needs stats anyway? Punch everything to death with your fists!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You can legitimately gimp yourself enough that the game is impossible for your skill level (it's possible to do SL1 runs, but that's for the people who have spent countless hundreds of hours) by spreading your stats too thin.

Yeah, I realized early on that I was probably dooming myself (and figured out that I was doomed when Rhea stayed mad), but I thought that maybe I could account for it, but I really don't do enough damage, and even if rolling wasn't freaking out and delaying itself for reasons I still haven't really figured out (seriously, at the sanctuary guardian it waited long enough to roll that it dodged another attack completely), I'm just not good enough at Dark Souls 1 to deal with it all solo. If I had a human buddy I probably could have taken Manus though.

This time I'm taking the Zweihander, I'm ignoring everything that doesn't make it +15 (or is the Lightning Zweihander still King poo poo of Dark Souls? I know they nerfed it at some point.), I'll probably keep power within because wow that's good, and I'm going to have my revenge. Except upper blighttown, to hell with that I'm taking the backdoor again the framerate is even worse up there. Actually I feel like my other mistake was not just buying the game again on PC and using DSFix.

quote:

git gud

I...I died trying. :negative:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
how much strength do I need to wield the black knight greatsword?

E: Right now my weapon is a raw halbard, is that okay for Anor Londo?

• Locked thread