Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's also nice to have the Balder Shield, which has the highest stability of any shield you're reasonably able to use at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

You need the Master Key to skip him right?

I don't know how anyone has trouble with him. You just charge in, murder dogs, murder demon.

Always take the master key as your starting gift.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Always take the master key as your starting gift.

Are any of the other gifts unique or are they all consumables you'll encounter before long in the main game?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Even the Master Key isn't unique. However, by the time you can get the Master Key it's so late in the game that it's pretty useless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are two rings which can be obtained later, the pendant (which is useless and can also be obtained later), and a bunch of consumables. The master key is the only thing that's really useful of the bunch.

fake edit: here's a list of starting gifts in the game: http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Gifts

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Choosing black firebombs as starting gift lets you easily kill the asylum demon when you first meet him, granting you demons great hammer. that weapon is pretty bad though, so yeah, choose master key.

My new ds pvp build is dual wielding scythes, main hand: lifehunt scythe, off hand: great scythe

It looks totally badass and the off hand attack of gs is a left side sweep, making the build great for being a whirlwind of death.
Apart from massive bleed build up through shields, the set-up is made for dead-angling unlocked style. I have been grinding for all the right gear and will report on my successes tomorrow.
I think I might finally have found a use for off hand weapons over shields in DS

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For a first run through I'd take old witch's ring because you have to trade away something useful to get it normally. Any other run through it's mater key though.

Nevvy Z posted:

You need the Master Key to skip him right?

I don't know how anyone has trouble with him. You just charge in, murder dogs, murder demon.

You don't need the master key to skip capra.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't skip the Capra Demon on your first playthrough anyway because learning to beat him is important to actually getting good enough to get through the rest of the game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't skip the Capra Demon on your first playthrough anyway because learning to beat him is important to actually getting good enough to get through the rest of the game.

:allears: I remember back when you were first going through the game and now look at you, posting like a real Dark Souls poster.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

:allears: I remember back when you were first going through the game and now look at you, posting like a real Dark Souls poster.

It's true I've come a long way in these last 6 months, and combined ~170 hours across both games. It seems like just yesterday I was despairing at the Capra Demon myself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Iretep posted:

For a first run through I'd take old witch's ring because you have to trade away something useful to get it normally. Any other run through it's mater key though.

You don't need the master key to skip capra.

Oooh. I just figured out you can take a really long roundabout way through the woods and VoD to that same way. It would just be insanely annoying and difficult. This is why I love this game.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So Steam achievements just appeared for the game. Update incoming?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They also changed the listed publisher to BANDAI NAMCO, when before it was reversed.

They're doing something all right.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sounds like it's time to replay Ds1 again soon. :getin:
After Ds2 I'll be even more of an immortal parry and backstab god.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Think they're finally switching to Steamworks integration?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hopefully that's what it means. It would make no sense to keep both achievement systems, at least there's no other game that does that and it would be even bigger clusterfuck. If they replace the network system altogether then I'm super stoked :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If they did I'd actually be able to play online, which is great incentive to start a new character. Moreso than grinding out achievements, anyway.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Abandoned my new game + character from over the summer, picked this up again and started a new one. I want to summon someone to play with me against Quuelag, and there are a few summon signs down outside her chamber, but I keep getting summon failed. :(

I added Dark Souls and GFWL to the Windows firewall exceptions. Anyone have this problem before? How do I fix it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chris Christie posted:

Abandoned my new game + character from over the summer, picked this up again and started a new one. I want to summon someone to play with me against Quuelag, and there are a few summon signs down outside her chamber, but I keep getting summon failed. :(

I added Dark Souls and GFWL to the Windows firewall exceptions. Anyone have this problem before? How do I fix it?

You can always try Maneater Mildred, that's who I summoned for that fight and I downed it in one try.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Playing over a hundred hours of DS2 coop with <1% connection failure rate and the name ring has spoiled me. A friend wanted to play through DS1 on PC with me but after i told him about gfwl and the summoning restrictions (no small summon sign) we quickly abandoned that idea. :(

Also a patch that adds achievements and one that replaces the multiplayer with a steamworks integration are two entirely different things and it's quite a leap of logic to induce the latter from the former.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also a patch that adds achievements and one that replaces the multiplayer with a steamworks integration are two entirely different things and it's quite a leap of logic to induce the latter from the former.

Steam achievements are part of Steamworks. So unless they're adding Steam achievements and then simultaneously plan to leave the multiplayer dead, it's not that great a leap.

Whether or not this suddenly means they're going to add VAC and such is pure speculation. They won't do it if they're smart, because of the presence of DSFix. We don't need an enhanced version of the DS2 VAC panic.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 20, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All those achievements for things I've already done, all those other games on my backlog, and yet I can't wait to do it all over again. Hell, this time I'll actually (mostly) know what I'm doing!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tallgeese posted:

Steam achievements are part of Steamworks. So unless they're adding Steam achievements and then simultaneously plan to leave the multiplayer dead, it's not that great a leap.
These look like the existing xbox achievements so it's probably just re-linking the nop-d xbox api calls in the port to the steam library?

So if the theory is that they'll remove gfwl and make steamworks handle everything like in DS2: I'll believe it when i see it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RoadCrewWorker posted:

These look like the existing xbox achievements so it's probably just re-linking the nop-d xbox api calls in the port to the steam library?

So if the theory is that they'll remove gfwl and make steamworks handle everything like in DS2: I'll believe it when i see it.

They're the same as the GFWL achievements if I'm not mistaken.

If anything they'd have linked any XBox api calls to GFWL, since, well... they're almost the same service.

Considering how they've kept up the servers for Demon's Souls, I'd be shocked if they take down Dark Souls multiplayer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...Or I can just post the proof in the game's depository:

branches/steambuild/buildid: 415842
branches/steambuild/description: NOG4WL
branches/steambuild/pwdrequired: 1

It's happening. Dark Souls is moving to Steamworks, full stop.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Tallgeese posted:

...Or I can just post the proof in the game's depository:

branches/steambuild/buildid: 415842
branches/steambuild/pwdrequired: 1

It's happening. Dark Souls is moving to Steamworks, full stop.
Came here to post this.

I just started a new playthrough too.

Chris Christie posted:

You still looking? I'm in the steam dark goons group chat and will help you setup DSCFix and test firewall etc. http://steamcommunity.com/id/DienesToo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh god, moving to steamworks means the summoning will be as common, fast and reliable as dark souls 2. I cannot loving wait to put another solid year into one of the greatest games of all time.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tallgeese posted:

thanks, that's loving ace

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh god, moving to steamworks means the summoning will be as common, fast and reliable as dark souls 2. I cannot loving wait to put another solid year into one of the greatest games of all time.

This isn't guaranteed at all but if nothing else, not having to deal with GFWL's account bollocks is going to be a wonderful change. I hope this draws a lot of people back to the game so there can be some good online activity for a while.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
This just showed up on the Dark Souls facebook feed:

quote:

Attention Dark Souls fans!

We're pleased to announce that next month it will be possible for players to migrate their Dark Souls: Prepare to Die games, saves and achievements from the Games for Windows Live platform to Steam.

-Games for Windows Live users will be able to redeem their Games for Windows Live Tokens on Steam to get Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost. (To find your Games for Windows Live Token, please head to the support webpage: http://bit.ly/1t6kfvm)

-In the month of November, there will be a period by which Games for Windows Live Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition users will be able to transfer their Save Data (characters + progress) and Achievements over to their Steam accounts.

-Players will still be able to use their Games for Windows Live Tokens to redeem the Steam version of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at no additional cost even after the migration period ends; but game Save Data and Achievements transfer functions may not be available.

-Games for Windows Live Rankings will not be transferred to Steam.
The specific migration start and end dates will be available soon; however the migration period will begin sometime in November 2014 with more specific dates to come.

We will be sharing more information soon regarding the migration process soon, so stay tuned!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've never been happier to eat my words. :unsmith:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I will have to sit down and patch-proof my DS1 table in preparation, that's for certain.

I wonder if they will make it so that character names are the name shown to people.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wonder if DSFix will still be compatible? Would we even need it anymore?

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
edit: answered above

ZergFluid fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 21, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Oh yeah.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ChaosArgate posted:

I wonder if DSFix will still be compatible? Would we even need it anymore?

It depends.

From has roughly four weeks. Do you think they will fix the resolution and such? I doubt it heavily. They would be trumpeting to the heavens if they were adding PC options.

So, here's my guess:

DSFix's resolution options might work. However, the option to fix the framerate from dropping to 15 after any loss will not, because that requires a memory edit.

If they add VAC, you will not be able to use that option without getting banned. That is why I say that if they are smart, they won't add VAC, because they will trip countless DSFix users when they first load up the game and get the DSFix crash.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

It depends.

From has roughly four weeks. Do you think they will fix the resolution and such? I doubt it heavily. They would be trumpeting to the heavens if they were adding PC options.

So, here's my guess:

DSFix's resolution options might work. However, the option to fix the framerate from dropping to 15 after any loss will not, because that requires a memory edit.

If they add VAC, you will not be able to use that option without getting banned. That is why I say that if they are smart, they won't add VAC, because they will trip countless DSFix users when they first load up the game and get the DSFix crash.
VAC isn't mindless and if a benign mod incorporating memory edits got popular nothing would happen.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And your evidence for that is?

Also, where does that leave people who were using it before it got whistelisted, in your highly unlikely hypothetical scenario?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 21, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

And your evidence for that is?

Also, where does that leave people who were using it before it got whistelisted?
My evidence comes from my knowledge of how VAC functions? The function would have to be blacklisted in the first place, suspicious actions would put it on the watch list, etc. The devs will also have to incorporate VAC as it's not a drop-in solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm curious how you know so much about how VAC works. If I recall, Valve usually doesn't say much about that.

• Locked thread