Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Astora Straight Sword is kinda like the Drake Sword, it's good in the beginning but falls off really hard really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It's a useful filler til you find a better dex/faith weapon. I generally hold on to it til I've done Sen's funhouse and then switch to whatever I have handy.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I still absolutely suck and remain winless at PvP I've decided I want to actually use this white soapstone thing and help others for fun.

What level should I get a new character to for the best results??? I've got a new STR build I've been playing, but I'm at Level 75 and was not getting any summons for Ornstein & Smough.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Chris Christie posted:

Since I still absolutely suck and remain winless at PvP I've decided I want to actually use this white soapstone thing and help others for fun.

What level should I get a new character to for the best results??? I've got a new STR build I've been playing, but I'm at Level 75 and was not getting any summons for Ornstein & Smough.

All depends on where you are wanting to bro. I've had good luck at 40-50 for o&s

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Chris Christie posted:

I'd maybe put co-op on the backburner with this new Steam patch coming up. I'm sure it'll be accompanied by a sale and a temporary swell in population.

O&S good coop levels might be 45-65. 75 is heading into Lord boss territory.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Senethro posted:

I'd maybe put co-op on the backburner with this new Steam patch coming up. I'm sure it'll be accompanied by a sale and a temporary swell in population.

O&S good coop levels might be 45-65. 75 is heading into Lord boss territory.

Depending on when the patch actually hits, it may be in the middle of the Holiday Steam Sale, which means about a billion people (including brand new players) will be on.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

To be honest I've only really played a lot within the last month or two, and I've found a pretty decent presence of people on for the common hotspots, both PvE and PvP, except for weekdays.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
I'm wondering if it's worth keeping my two high-level characters. I didn't make them with PvP in mind since I never had a GFWL account and couldn't connect. Is the patch going to introduce to me a bunch of crazy 100+ giantdads?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

FML.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They just announced another DS2 update and PS4/Xbone versions, add in Bloodborne and this game getting patched is definitely the lowest priority right now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A more official announcement. http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/

quote:

- UPDATE 11/25/14 -
We are working hard to finalize the process to move your Dark Souls: Prepare to Die saves and achievements to Steam. We need to conduct additional testing and we are now targeting December to begin this process. We'll have more information in the coming weeks. Thank you very much for your patience!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

They just announced another DS2 update and PS4/Xbone versions, add in Bloodborne and this game getting patched is definitely the lowest priority right now.

Yeah, From is putting an astonishing amount of work into their existing titles while also having to do Bloodborne stuff. It's way, way more effort than I expected from any dev.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Question for the thread. I just had a white phantom summon themselves into my game and kill Gwynevere. Can anyone tell me what the gently caress?

(Details: I was in the keep in Anor Londo, was human, had not touched any summon signs, had not yet fought O&S, and was - emphasis was - in the Darkmoon Blades covenant.)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tracula posted:

Yeah, From is putting an astonishing amount of work into their existing titles while also having to do Bloodborne stuff. It's way, way more effort than I expected from any dev.

It's nice to see From looking after their babies. They know Souls gave them a good break.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alien Arcana posted:

Question for the thread. I just had a white phantom summon themselves into my game and kill Gwynevere. Can anyone tell me what the gently caress?

(Details: I was in the keep in Anor Londo, was human, had not touched any summon signs, had not yet fought O&S, and was - emphasis was - in the Darkmoon Blades covenant.)

Hacking. They invaded as white so you couldn't banish them by walking through the fog, and killed your Gwynevere.

Remember their name? I was planning on paying a visit to DS1 to fix up my tables anyway, so if I catch them I think I can make them ragequit for awhile.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Hacking. They invaded as white so you couldn't banish them by walking through the fog, and killed your Gwynevere.

Remember their name? I was planning on paying a visit to DS1 to fix up my tables anyway, so if I catch them I think I can make them ragequit for awhile.

what the hell does this mean?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

what the hell does this mean?

He's on the table challenge run: destroy all tables in the game. He must have discovered he missed a few.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Astora Straight Sword is kinda like the Drake Sword, it's good in the beginning but falls off really hard really fast.

I like it because it lets kill Pinwheel right away while fighting stuff. It's tougher than just going the normal way but I find it fun.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Remember their name? I was planning on paying a visit to DS1 anyway, so if I catch them I think I can make them ragequit for awhile.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name. I never even saw the guy except in the cutscene where Gwyndolin yells at you. My first clue something was up was when I got a "<name> was summoned" message when I hadn't touched anything. Guess in the future I'll take that as a sign to quit the game pronto.

How does hacking allow them to affect my world, anyway? There shouldn't be any combination of factors that lets a phantom kill an NPC like that, should there?

Sheesh. Weirdest griefing I've ever heard of. I actually got the Lordvessel without fighting O&S! For all he knew, I was planning to dispel Gwynevere myself...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I think you can look in your GFWL account and see players you recently encountered.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

cenotaph posted:

I think you can look in your GFWL account and see players you recently encountered.

Oh, nice. Let's seee... Bruster11 was the guy's name.

I don't really care about being "avenged" or anything, though. Do what you want :)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Alien Arcana posted:

Unfortunately I don't remember the name. I never even saw the guy except in the cutscene where Gwyndolin yells at you. My first clue something was up was when I got a "<name> was summoned" message when I hadn't touched anything. Guess in the future I'll take that as a sign to quit the game pronto.

How does hacking allow them to affect my world, anyway? There shouldn't be any combination of factors that lets a phantom kill an NPC like that, should there?

Sheesh. Weirdest griefing I've ever heard of. I actually got the Lordvessel without fighting O&S! For all he knew, I was planning to dispel Gwynevere myself...

They use a red eye orb to invade you but use cheat engine to force their phantom type to be white. DS is fine with this and it actually sometimes happens where you do one kind of online and end up as the wrong type of phantom. Seems especially common with dragon duals where you end up being summoned as a co-op phantom. Then the hacker uses Cheat Engine to teleport them up to Gwynevere and then let them harm npcs. Then when the hacker kills Gwynevere your game responds as though you did since that's the only legit way she could have died.

Sadly both DS and DS2 do pretty much no sanity checking to see if what a summon/invader is doing should be possible. Hacking to add items or modify their game is more or less not stoppable in a client side pc game but letting other players mess up your world could be stopped if they knew how or would take the time to do it.

If you are using dsfix hopefully you have backups enabled and can just go back to the one before that happened. If not you can use Cheat Engine to make Gwynevere alive again. If you join the steam chat channel someone should walk you through it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's interesting to strike back at people like that. They get strangely upset about it, and never quite seem to connect the empathy circuits in their brains. It's fascinating.

As for how they did it, targeting is handled by the client and is separate from phantom type. So if they switch themselves to have the targeting of the host, they can attack NPCs just like the host.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 27, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Alien Arcana posted:

Weirdest griefing I've ever heard of. I actually got the Lordvessel without fighting O&S!.

The last time I read about this happening people were saying it hosed up their game because they couldn't get the Lordvessel. Did From change something there?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I were to plan a paladin-gimmick build, how would I go about that to boot?

I know the game well enough to think of a few ways I could grab some early amazing items, but I am not entirely sure on what starter class to bother with. Also not entirely sure if there are things I could grab early on to make it more paladin-ish early on or not.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

If I were to plan a paladin-gimmick build, how would I go about that to boot?

I know the game well enough to think of a few ways I could grab some early amazing items, but I am not entirely sure on what starter class to bother with. Also not entirely sure if there are things I could grab early on to make it more paladin-ish early on or not.

If you're a bad enough dude you can get sanctus right out of the tutorial. Run through the catacombs to the second bonfire and summon paladin leeroy to whack pinwheel, then run through totg to the first bonfire. Have patches kick you down and grab the skull lantern and homeward bone back. Light up and run hugging the right wall and all the skelly beasts and giants are should be avoidable. Finally, when leeroy invades just kick him off (be quick and don't miss!). Reload your game and his stuff will be there. The black knight might be trouble but everything else should de-aggro pretty quickly. Getting out is another story...

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cleric and Knight seem like the obvious starting points for a paladin. Knight maybe moreso because their starting armor and shield are so nice to have while running around early on.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
From a spergy min max stand point the knight is bad because it wastes one point into INT that a faith build would never use anyway. Both bandit and cleric are fine paladin builds though.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Nonexistence posted:

If you're a bad enough dude you can get sanctus right out of the tutorial. Run through the catacombs to the second bonfire and summon paladin leeroy to whack pinwheel, then run through totg to the first bonfire. Have patches kick you down and grab the skull lantern and homeward bone back. Light up and run hugging the right wall and all the skelly beasts and giants are should be avoidable. Finally, when leeroy invades just kick him off (be quick and don't miss!). Reload your game and his stuff will be there. The black knight might be trouble but everything else should de-aggro pretty quickly. Getting out is another story...

I don't think Leeroy invades you until you have the Lord Vessel.

A really good underrated faith weapon you can get early on is the crescent axe which you can get by killing Patches in the catacombs.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, none of the areas with Gold Fog will have any of the multiplayer stuff available in your world. You can't get invaded and you can't summon dudes since there's no boss fog to go to. I would try to bum rush sending Rhea down to Tomb as quickly as you can, though, and then go rescue her (and deal with Petrus) so you can get access to some of the higher tier faith spells more quickly. Grinding sunlight medals will be necessary if you want more offensive spells.

Crescent Axe is definitely a solid faith option, though, I like prostrate too much to kill Patches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BillehS posted:

I don't think Leeroy invades you until you have the Lord Vessel.

A really good underrated faith weapon you can get early on is the crescent axe which you can get by killing Patches in the catacombs.

You mean the Tomb of Giants? I don't remember Patches showing up in the Catacombs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You mean the Tomb of Giants? I don't remember Patches showing up in the Catacombs.

He does if you visit before killing Cappy D, cause that's the trigger for the cleric squad to head down there.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
To expand: Patches is the ladder up from the second (semi-hidden) Bonfire he turns the bridge, while you're on it

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Time to get my skulled shuffle on, in other words.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

patches dicks you over in the catacombs if you go there early in the plot, otoh he gives you a humanity if you confront him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patches dicks you over every time you meet him outside of a hub area.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I dont think Ive ever met Patches in the Catacombs, even when I ran through for weapons and Pinwheel killing first thing.

Might just be because I abused shortcuts when doing that though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You know the bridge lever near the second bonfire? He hangs out there. And does with it what you'd think he'd do with it.

If you either send the cleric squad down (triggered by Capra) or kill Pinwheel, he disappears and moves to his Tomb of the Giants spot. I'm not sure about the scenario of where the cleric squad has spawned in Firelink post-Capra, but hasn't yet gotten moving from enough conversations/reloads.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Vil posted:

You know the bridge lever near the second bonfire? He hangs out there. And does with it what you'd think he'd do with it.

If you either send the cleric squad down (triggered by Capra) or kill Pinwheel, he disappears and moves to his Tomb of the Giants spot. I'm not sure about the scenario of where the cleric squad has spawned in Firelink post-Capra, but hasn't yet gotten moving from enough conversations/reloads.

Patches only disappears when the clerics disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

A co-worker of mine spent all morning telling me about how bad rear end his character has become now that he found the Drake Sword and the Elite Knight set.

:allears:

• Locked thread