Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

KoRMaK posted:

What do I do with 1 liquid humanity? Going human seems dumb, and I don't want to kindle anything right now.
4 step program:
1st. join Chaos Servants
2nd. farm 29more humanity
3rd. save Solaire
4th. be bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hang on to it if you can, and shrug it off if you lose it in a bloodstain. Eventually there'll be something you want to kindle or a fight you want to go human for.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, you can just hang onto it for the passive stat boost, and if you lose it it's whatever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr Suntory posted:

4 step program:
1st. join Chaos Servants
2nd. farm 29more humanity
3rd. save Solaire
4th. be bros

That's a convoluted way of getting his gear. Just stab him.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Djeser posted:

The ability to use your steam name, which you can change any time, as opposed to your gfwl name, which costs ten bucks or whatever, is fantastic. I can make my steam name Knight Solaire and set my sign next to the real Solare sign.

It would be better if they used your character name like DS2, honestly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Always have 1 liquid humanity on you for the boosted Item Find.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

That's a convoluted way of getting his gear. Just stab him.

:smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

If his gear wasn't so good and saving him didn't require the worst offender of convenience (30 humanity transfer), I wouldn't suggest it otherwise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Solaire's gear isn't nearly good enough to warrant effort on its own. Liquid humanity gives you passive buffs though, which is nice.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm live streaming my. First run as a soccerer and I just *got* how to socerer http://www.twitch.tv/easterwasaninsidejob

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Manatee Cannon posted:

Solaire's gear isn't nearly good enough to warrant effort on its own. Liquid humanity gives you passive buffs though, which is nice.

Never use gear because of how good it is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm saying it doesn't look that good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I'm live streaming my. First run as a soccerer and I just *got* how to socerer http://www.twitch.tv/easterwasaninsidejob

You stream died fyi.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm saying it doesn't look that good.
You don't look that good :colbert:

I like Solaire's shield, helmet, and gloves the most out of the set.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

You stream died fyi.
Yea I took it down cuz everyone left (and it fucks my framerate up at inopportune times. I'd put it on again if someone wanted to watch)

Soccerer talk: I learned how to socer
1)Save griggs
a)buy the key residence key from the male merchant
b) go to the basement, let griggs free
c) farm souls and buy soul arrow (now you have 60 of them), heavy soul and great soul
2) beat the gargoyles
3) do not cash the souls from the gargoyles in on levels, instead, use save it and start farming souls again until you get to 20k
4) at 20k souls, buy bellowing dragoncrest ring from griggs

Intermixed in there, find a way to get your attunment up to 4 slots. I have 2 soul spears (60), great soul, heavy soul equiped. I don't even get close to enemies really anymore.

Now I think I go to the basin and fight the hydra so I can unlock frozen girl and get whatever she gives. I'm at level 19

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
I guess this is more of a Steam related question, but where do I see who I invaded/co-op'ed with in Dark Souls a la GFWL? Is it in the ingame overlay somewhere?

If I go Account -> Friends - > Recently Played With outside the game it doesn't show anything at all...

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I started a new char, so far I've had:

-Black Knight Sword drop from the 1st black knight
-Demon Greataxe drop from taurus
-Black Knight Halberd from the halberd black knight
-Demon Great Machete drop from capra
-2 skull lantern drops from necros

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You should dual wield skull lanterns

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Foulbrood posted:

I guess this is more of a Steam related question, but where do I see who I invaded/co-op'ed with in Dark Souls a la GFWL? Is it in the ingame overlay somewhere?

If I go Account -> Friends - > Recently Played With outside the game it doesn't show anything at all...

Either In-game broswer -> Players -> Recent Games

or the Steam client -> View -> Players -> Recent Games

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm going to play Dark Souls for the first time. Do I need to download DSfix or have it's various problems been patched already?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RickDaedalus posted:

I'm going to play Dark Souls for the first time. Do I need to download DSfix or have it's various problems been patched already?

You'll want Dsfix.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RickDaedalus posted:

Give it a try once with, and once without. Generally DSFix is always good but for some reason my computer hates something it does and chugs horribly, so I have to play vanilla.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Give it a try once with, and once without. Generally DSFix is always good but for some reason my computer hates something it does and chugs horribly, so I have to play vanilla.

I'm the opposite. I need the fpsunlocker to get a smooth 30, for w/e reason.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No one can get a smooth 30 without DSfix. I have a pretty powerful rig and even that struggles to maintain a smooth framerate on vanilla Dark Souls.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've learned to deal with it and just play. It's only had real lag issues in the usual spots and everything else is a non-issue for me. I don't use DSFix, either.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 do this weird thing where if an enemy is far enough away it drops frames on them so it starts looking like it's stop-motion or something. It becomes really apparent when you do that debug mode thing because the farther away you get from your character the more "stop-motiony" you get. It actually looks pretty bad rear end on skeletons, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Sanctum posted:

I started a new char, so far I've had:

-Black Knight Sword drop from the 1st black knight
-Demon Greataxe drop from taurus
-Black Knight Halberd from the halberd black knight
-Demon Great Machete drop from capra
-2 skull lantern drops from necros

This is 3 hours in on a new character. A character I plan to be a permanent level 25 pvp crossbow rear end in a top hat and will never have the stats to use these. :shrug:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
As novel as it is getting summoned by the guy that invaded you a few minutes ago, this region lock really sucks. Once the re-launch hype dies down, multiplayer is going to be a ghost town if they can't figure out a way to remove the restriction.

Can the debug mode be used in online? I did invade sens once and see some strange stuff, but I think the guy forgot to clear the fogwalls because I couldn't go further than his double-boulder stair trap. I would love to take a low SL host into sens and make twink invaders fight player-controlled black knights.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Unfortunately, that might be easier than you think it would be. Having controlled a lot of enemies now I can safely say that I have a newfound level of respect for the advantages the player character has. Controlling the Black Knights is just janky and uncomfortable as opposed to yourself.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm going to take on havel at lvl 22 as a socerer. I beat the hydra, that was interesting. If you want to see me die a bunch while i try to get in wicked parrys on havel I'm starting the stream up again.

Not so good a parrying, but he gets wrecked by spells pretty easily.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 21, 2014

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Looks like the alarm in Seath's dungeon deactivates itself if you die and respawn, now. And kicking skeleton's ribcages around prevents you from picking up whatever junk scimitar they dropped. Exciting new bugs!

Edit: On the bright side, you no longer have to watch the logos when returning to the main menu

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

Looks like the alarm in Seath's dungeon deactivates itself if you die and respawn, now.

That always happened.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Genocyber posted:

That always happened.

Oh! Seems weird

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Space Hamlet posted:

And kicking skeleton's ribcages around prevents you from picking up whatever junk scimitar they dropped.
I've had this happen on console a bunch, as well. For whatever reason, skeletons sometimes have issues with their drops, and their bones just get that glow.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Haha, then I guess I'm just feeling sensitive to stuff I've forgotten or never noticed before. The logo change is the real deal though

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

For whatever reason the part of the skeleton corpse you actually interact with to pick up items is the skull. Despite, y'know, the item glow being in the ribcage. It's weird but you can still get the items.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's definitely been some changes to minor stuff. AI seems a bit more aggressive - my girlfriend was stuck on the Stray Demon for a few days (can't blame her) and, after the change from GFWL, the hollows outside the asylum started charging in to fight her. Quitting no longer brings up the developer splash screens. That sort of thing. Interesting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mysterious loyall Y posted:

There's definitely been some changes to minor stuff. AI seems a bit more aggressive - my girlfriend was stuck on the Stray Demon for a few days (can't blame her) and, after the change from GFWL, the hollows outside the asylum started charging in to fight her.

That could happen before. It's highly unlikely they've made any changes to the game other than what was needed to port it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At about what level of INT does Enchanted weapons start outclassing Magic weapons? I went ahead and made a +5 Magic Uchigatana to go with my Sorcery build, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go ahead and rush Darkroot for the Enchanted Ember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dexie posted:

At about what level of INT does Enchanted weapons start outclassing Magic weapons? I went ahead and made a +5 Magic Uchigatana to go with my Sorcery build, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go ahead and rush Darkroot for the Enchanted Ember.

Enchanted is pretty much always better.

• Locked thread