Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

You are a terrible person.

I phrased that somewhat poorly. The souls games are fantastic. But at the end of the day they all fall short in the same ways. Skills, weapons and attributes are balanced poorly. Critical game mechanics are never explained well, the multiplayer experience is always extremely convoluted and the netcode is garbage.

Multiplayer being convoluted could be construed as a good thing though. I like that it has an in-universe explanation and application, though it doesn't exactly feel intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The netcode is an objective problem, but for instance, I really like how they don't explain how the online works. I wish they'd allow a more granular level of control over how it works ONCE you figure it out, yes, but I like the fact that it drops you in and you don't know what your capabilities are until you slowly discover it. It wouldn't be very Souls to explain how everything works.

They could explain a bit MORE, but I'm definitely behind the idea of having to learn mechanics by playing just in general. And DS2 feels more explicit than other games in the series did; it's got more NPCs that talk directly about game mechanics like covenants and so on.

I think a lot of things about what's optimal is obtuse, but I'm less concerned with that sort of thing as a player, I guess. Like with Agility affecting your invincibility frames or something, I'm not that concerned about that in the first place, because I just don't play the games like that.

tldr different strokes

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I've collected 62 dung pies trying to (unsuccessfully) farm a large club from the three barbarians near the New Londo Ruins :emo:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's worth it.

I hate New Londo.

Sif was piss easy with the Eagle shield and large club.

I can kill virtually everything in NL with a single smack of the club but gently caress those ghosts.

Not only are they creepy as gently caress they're annoying.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bouchacha posted:

I've collected 62 dung pies trying to (unsuccessfully) farm a large club from the three barbarians near the New Londo Ruins :emo:

Starting from the Depths bonfire is probably faster, since you don't have to ride an elevator every time. Though yeah, getting the Large Club to drop is a giant pain, which is why I usually just go with the Great Club you get for free at the bottom of Blighttown.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I've put about 4 hours in this game, made several mistakes (... I'm level 17), but definitely want to keep going. I just beat the first boss and would like to fight that large Knight and get his treasure. I've found myself getting spoiled a bit with some of the progress by watching videos, so for now I just picked up a guide and am reading on how to beat the monsters. I'm gonna try and just go by myself to see where to go.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Starting from the Depths bonfire is probably faster, since you don't have to ride an elevator every time. Though yeah, getting the Large Club to drop is a giant pain, which is why I usually just go with the Great Club you get for free at the bottom of Blighttown.

I haven't even beaten the gargoyles yet, I want to see how badly I can splat them with an upgraded large club.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oh, well in that case you might as well just pick up the Great Club. It takes about five minutes to get from Firelink and it does more damage than the Large Club anyway.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Audax posted:

I've put about 4 hours in this game, made several mistakes (... I'm level 17), but definitely want to keep going. I just beat the first boss and would like to fight that large Knight and get his treasure. I've found myself getting spoiled a bit with some of the progress by watching videos, so for now I just picked up a guide and am reading on how to beat the monsters. I'm gonna try and just go by myself to see where to go.

The knights seem terrifying but they're actually pushovers if you get the technique right.

Chain backstabs destroy them, and they're also fairly easy to parry but I wouldn't advise it if you're just starting out as one false move will get you wrekked.

I'd advise you to not use a guide really as a lot of the fun of the game comes from the fear of the unknown and how everything in the world is painful and terrible until you figure out that it isn't really.

e: Also the large club has a far better moveset than the great club.

The one handed strong attack is really, really loving useful. It's also much lighter than the great club which is a bonus especially if you want to go for an under 25% build.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 9, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just fought the 2nd boss in the dlc and it was awesome. Totally unexpected. I would easily rank it as the best boss in the whole series so far after playing Bloodborne and Dks2.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's rather cool especially when you realize the fight is with a huge handicap on their part. As difficult as it is, it could be a hell of a lot worse if certain things weren't true.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Jesus Christ I'm grateful I suffered through the ~2 hours or so of Barbarian farming it took to get my Large Club because holy poo poo. Some chump invaded me in Blighttown and he went down with a quick swish-swish of the one-handed strong attack. It's also fast enough that you can use it exclusively, even when dealing with relative popcorn enemies.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The large club is pretty baller because the one handed strong attack can be moved around at the last second, so it's incredibly unpredictable.

Likewise, the 2 handed rolling attack also has the same attribute, and can't be parried.

The poison is also pretty strong as a psychological tactic, even if it's not particularly deadly.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
After spending like 20 minutes just blocking the black knight in the Undead Burgs, I finally figured out how to somewhat play this game. Block and strafe covers a large majority of the fights. Thanks for the tips goons! Just beat the Bell Gargolyes! Having loads of fun!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just so you don't run around aimlessly, your next stop isn't under Firelink. There's a key by the church's front door/the portcullis that unlocks a door by where you first met Solaire.

I died to a lot of ghosts before figuring this out :saddowns:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That's why you read item descriptions!

Basement Key posted:

Opens the narrow passage leading below
at the far face of the great bridge in
the Undead Burg.

The lower Undead Burg is a treacherous place.
Do not turn your back on the wily thieves, or
the wild dogs who serve the Capra Demon.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Djeser posted:

That's why you read item descriptions!

I hardly read item descriptions on my first run through the game. It took me a long time to find that door in the burg bridge :)

This included not reading the item description for the ring you get from the centipede demon, and never putting it on.
I...actually made it 90% of the way through the Lost Izalith lava section without it before I gave up and asked someone what I was supposed to do. :negative:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I broke my Ring of Favor because I was an idiot who couldn't be bothered to fully read the effects :v:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I broke my Ring of Favor because I was an idiot who couldn't be bothered to fully read the effects :v:
Pretty sure it still warns you if you try to remove it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pfft, you think I got time to read that poo poo?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
A bunch of sources say the game's default resolution without dsfix is 1024 x 720. Is that accurate? That option isn't even available from the menu.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The game lists what resolutions your monitor supports, but the game has a hardcoded render resolution. This is different from most PC games, which have their render resolution and the window resolution the same.

DSfix doesn't change what resolution the game window has on your screen, but it does let you change the hardcoded render resolution.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Djeser posted:

The game lists what resolutions your monitor supports, but the game has a hardcoded render resolution. This is different from most PC games, which have their render resolution and the window resolution the same.

DSfix doesn't change what resolution the game window has on your screen, but it does let you change the hardcoded render resolution.

Actually, you can do both from within DSfix.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just got to that boss fight in the DLC on NG+ and it really is possibly one of the best boss fights ever, certainly the best in Dark Souls.

Actually had the darkwood grain ring this time which made it even more fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm doing an always human run for the forums, and was wondering, does Dark Souls have softbans? I want to play with the people watching, and I'm trying to find out which cheat engine script is best.

It's going to be Either A.) Give myself 99 Humanity items

or

B.) Run a script that sets me as always human so I can always invade / be invaded. Which is best for avoiding soft bans.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've used CE for months to skip hours of rats/abyss humanity farming or to revive bosses and have never been hit with anything. It's probably the safest to fire up CE once, give yourself the humanities/items you need and then shut it down, you don't need to have it running after that. Can't speak about DS2 though, which apparently has some sort sanity/consistency checks to prevent tampering like that.

Just make absolutely sure you don't ever forget CE and have it running in the background when you start up a multiplayer game with VAC protection, because that bans for memory hooks like that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 25, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'm doing an always human run for the forums, and was wondering, does Dark Souls have softbans? I want to play with the people watching, and I'm trying to find out which cheat engine script is best.

or

B.) Run a script that sets me as always human so I can always invade / be invaded. Which is best for avoiding soft bans.
If you go and grab a firekeeper's soul at the start you can just dupe it and get 99 humanity fairly easily/quickly. Worth keeping in mind that running around a new game with 99 humanity is giving you decent defense boosts, etc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Turtlicious posted:

or

No one is banned in DS1

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Iron Rose posted:

No one is banned in DS1
Except for that one guy who posted YouTube videos on how to make weapons insta-curse, I think.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Except for that one guy who posted YouTube videos on how to make weapons insta-curse, I think.

But that's beyond stupid. If I use CE for something, I do it for offline play and I make sure that it isn't a VAC game. Valve won't give a drat if you have 6 million souls before you even get to the gargoyles.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Get 6 million souls before the Gargs the noble way: kick hackers off of the wall in the Burg

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Paracelsus posted:

Nah, some other guy got banned, not that guy.

No one gets banned in DS1 otherwise. Though they actually are making some kind of patch for said game, shockingly. So who knows?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 26, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If you go and grab a firekeeper's soul at the start you can just dupe it and get 99 humanity fairly easily/quickly. Worth keeping in mind that running around a new game with 99 humanity is giving you decent defense boosts, etc.

99 liquid humanity makes you practically invincible to un-upgraded, or lightly upgraded weapons, even if you're naked, as I found when doing some SL1 invasions before those got really boring. Depending on what he wants out of an all human run, this may or may not matter, though.
Havel's + iron flesh makes it so that there is literally no visible change in your lifebar when attacked with base weapons.
For people invading you, they probably have decent enough weapons for it to not matter a whole lot, though.

Otherwise yeah, duping a fire keeper soul is the easiest way to do anything humanity related and I do that for most new runs now especially since I rarely raise vit to where reinforcing the flask is actually useful unless its a later game pvp thing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

Nah, some other guy got banned, not that guy.

No one gets banned in DS1 otherwise. Though they actually are making some kind of patch for said game, shockingly. So who knows?

All I want for DS1 is a connection fix now that we've switched to Steam.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Finally getting around to playing this after shamefully never playing it despite owning it one form or another since it came out on consoles. Harkening back to Demon Souls, it's good to see the gameplay design of you loving yourself rather than the game loving you is still intact. Decide to carry the ten or so thousand souls from the goat dude with me down into sewers, backdoor my way to the giant rat on complete accident fighting the butcher, soundly whoop rodent rear end, and in my puffed up pride proceed to retard my way down a hole into some sort of petrifying frog poo poo circus rather than just taking any of the decidedly safer looking pathways. The following indication that I am now cursed and this is a 'Big Deal' was icing on my self baked turd cake.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
being cursed isn't really any worse than soul form in des

just go find yourself a purging stone, if you explored the lower burg thoroughly you should already know where a merchant who sells one is

congrats on your ratmurdering

don't worry, 10k souls isn't that much, you'll get much more from the next boss

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Manus is loving hard, god drat. I spent the entire evening on him and the best I got was down to about 25%. I tend to enjoy the larger bosses but this fucker will not even give me a second.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

marauderthirty posted:

Manus is loving hard, god drat. I spent the entire evening on him and the best I got was down to about 25%. I tend to enjoy the larger bosses but this fucker will not even give me a second.

The key to Manus is to figure out which attacks you can safely block (not many) and attacks you have to dodge (most of them).

I recall his freakout chain attack happens pretty often and if you keep at a certain distance you can always punish with two or three hits after he calms down. Though if you know you're unable to get out of range of a combo or don't have the stamina to block the whole thing, block what you can and eat the hit. Otherwise you'll likely get hit once at the start of the combo and again at the end.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
The worst thing about the DLC, that makes it more difficult, is if your'e specced in any direction other than pure physical damage. You just do so little with anything split damage, that the fights take forever, and that just means you have to be on point with dodging for longer. But, still, Manus, Kalameet, and Artorias are three of the best bosses in the game, and so satisfying once you finally beat them. Makes me feel bad for whoever designed the Sanctuary Guardian, not really a bad boss, but pales in comparison to the other three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

marauderthirty posted:

I spent the entire evening on him and the best I got was down to about 25%.
well you're in better shape than i was after 1 night. the biggest thing for me was to be patient. if you try to just dodge and punish every attack he will catch you in a rage combo sooner or later. try only attacking after his slam type moves that leave him exposed for awhile and then back off quickly. also remove all your use items other than estus and the pendant so you can swap back and forth easily.

• Locked thread