Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Popular Human posted:

Pretty sure my game glitched out. Seath the Scaleless used ONE attack the entire fight: a charge-up laser that turned part of the floor into crystals. And he only did it about once every twenty seconds, so I just sat there right in front of him wailing on him. Oh well, a win's a win.

I'm comin' for you, Nito.

lore question: what the gently caress was that crystal thing I had to break before I could do any damage to Seath? It just looked like a big shiny stick to me.

I have to say I'm impressed with how quickly you're getting through this stuff. New Londo and the Duke's Archives. The Crystal Cave hosed me off incredibly because of those invisible platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
My wife was at a family reunion I couldn't go to because of work, so I pretty much all my free time this weekend playing Dark Souls.

The Crystal Caverns weren't so bad, but I definitely did not explore them thoroughly. I'm sure I would have fallen a lot more if I tried to do anything besides "follow the tinkly falling crystals across the thousand foot drop."

Also, what was the item I was supposed to find in Izalith that will help with Nito? The lava-walk ring? The Flame Ember?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Popular Human posted:

My wife was at a family reunion I couldn't go to because of work, so I pretty much all my free time this weekend playing Dark Souls.

The Crystal Caverns weren't so bad, but I definitely did not explore them thoroughly. I'm sure I would have fallen a lot more if I tried to do anything besides "follow the tinkly falling crystals across the thousand foot drop."

Also, what was the item I was supposed to find in Izalith that will help with Nito? The lava-walk ring? The Flame Ember?

Sunlight Maggot.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Popular Human posted:

The bug hat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

quote:

After defeating Freja
What skill. You've defeated my master.
But our master never dies, only changes form, so that he may seethe for all eternity.
Brave human, you have yet to face your greatest perils.
Take these. May joy await you at the end of your travels.

He's also in king's field and I think gets a mechanized reference version in armored core

Seath gets to be immortal anyway :eng101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

death .cab for qt posted:

He's also in king's field and I think gets a mechanized reference version in armored core

He doesn't afaik, but Ornstein does!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Bug hat? I didn't find anything like that. Will I be hosed without it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Popular Human posted:

No, but you may have doomed your good friend.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Seath gets to be immortal anyway :eng101:
just because a character appears in more than one game doesn't mean they're immortal, it's a reference like patches

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only thing that is more of a universal constant than From's ability to bungle their anticheat is their penchant for referencing their games in other games.

See: Armored Core's Moonlight Laserblade.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

just because a character appears in more than one game doesn't mean they're immortal, it's a reference like patches

"Master never dies, takes many forms", the "seethe" word choice for name drop, and the bonus NG+ soul you pick up is a pretty explicit link for DS1 and DS2, and goes beyond just referencing. Freja probably isn't Seath, just made by Seath.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you're really dumb i mean drat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tallgeese posted:

The only thing that is more of a universal constant than From's ability to bungle their anticheat is their penchant for referencing their games in other games.

See: Armored Core's Moonlight Laserblade.

We need a 3d dot sword in and some cards in DS3.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Popular Human posted:

You probably missed a section of Lost Izalith, up in the city area. There should be a long bridge guarded by one of those titanite demons, which leads to a door to the Demon Ruins. The bug hat can be found at the end of the bridge near the door.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont really need it though. its just a more convenient light source than the lantern or cast light

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you're really dumb i mean drat

Actually, in your rush to make supposedly pithy responses you're not communicating clearly.

You are not being clear about whether you're talking about just DS1->2, between-series references, or both.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that may be because the goalposts moved and i don't care to move the argument

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
You cared enough to start it, though.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Awesome! posted:

you dont really need it though. its just a more convenient light source than the lantern or cast light

Oh, okay, cool. I have a Skull Lantern, so that should be alright.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Get Innocuous! posted:

You cared enough to start it, though.

You cared enough post this so you are guilty of caring too!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is the Gargoyle Tail Axe any good? I always forget to cut the loving thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Is the Gargoyle Tail Axe any good? I always forget to cut the loving thing.

Weapon-wise? No. It does crank your resistances up by like 40%, though, so you can hold it while going through Blighttown and never get poisoned. Hilariously, the Gargoyle Axe seems to scale with Resistance: 50-99 RES with two Gargoyle Axes and the Poisonbite ring makes you effectively immune to poison.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 22, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well that's great to know now that I just got to Blighttown. At least I have the spider shield to stop the toxic dart assholes.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i made the tail axe a divine weapon for doing the catacombs and i didnt like it very much but the bendy strong attack looks kind of cool

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Large club supremacy. Get that and it's literally clobbering time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Large club supremacy. Get that and it's literally clobbering time.

Haven't seen it yet. Been waving around my Black Knight Greatsword but I really don't like it's power attacks beyond the humor of throwing people for miles with the golf swing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I care about each and everyone of you and I'm glad we are all here together.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The loving crow isn't taking my junk. I'm supposed to drop it in the nest at the end of the tutorial area and reload my game, right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes. You can only trade each kind of thing one time though, and only one at a time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did that, reloaded and nothing happened. Didn't even get to keep my junk.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I stand right here, drop a single blood red moss and nothing happens

e: oh, there's 2 dumb crow nests. fucker better appreciate this.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah thats the big crow's one, you want snuggly.Who very obviously talks to you and even comments if you drop something she doesn't trade.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I should have realized the lack of begging was a bad sign. Got what I came for but I think I'll just let Stray Demon rot in his hole some more, that explosion's some grade A bullshit.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
i mean u stand behind him and back up a lil.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It also helps if you wear the cloth set from ceaseless discharge as it pumps up your fire resist and with a decent shield you can block the explosion for minimal damage. The fight is easy because the demon tends to just spam butt slam and explosion if you get behind. In my actual playthrough he never tried to turn around to hit me with his weapon.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It might be helpful to know that the explosions are magic damage (and not fire) and that there's a shield with 80% magic res to be found in the very same area.

but yeah the way to trivialize the fight is to keep in the correct relative position behind him so he buttstomps the entire (lengthy) fight. It's a bit silly and the reason i'm not particularly fond of the boss.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Guillermus posted:

It also helps if you wear the cloth set from ceaseless discharge as it pumps up your fire resist and with a decent shield you can block the explosion for minimal damage. The fight is easy because the demon tends to just spam butt slam and explosion if you get behind. In my actual playthrough he never tried to turn around to hit me with his weapon.

That's magic, not fire.

Wear magic resist and use the crest shield

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:gonk:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

He was one of the first try bosses for me. Getting to him is the hard part. Those giant bone spiders hosed me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

He was one of the first try bosses for me. Getting to him is the hard part. Those giant bone spiders hosed me up.

My happiest moment in Dark Souls was discovering that you could lock on and one shot the bonespiders from outside their aggro range with a grand fireball and a fully upgraded pyromancy glove. This is actually true of every giant skeleton enemy in the Tomb of the Giants, except the archer ones.

• Locked thread