Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If they even get through the fog door I'll consider it an amazing success. Beating the Asylum Demon would take a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do you beat the Iron Golem without killing the firebomb guy first.

Dude has psychic predicts and there isn't much room to avoid the fire in the first place.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sanctum posted:

How do you beat the Iron Golem without killing the firebomb guy first.

Dude has psychic predicts and there isn't much room to avoid the fire in the first place.
you fight the boss at the back bridge where it starts, avoid the center of the arena. ideally you'd get a quick kill by focusing on its weak leg so he falls off the ledge, then it's a matter of getting to the cutscene trigger inbetween explosions

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So the ScpDS3 drivers has stopped working for me. Completely and absolutely - if I redownload, ScpDriver.exe won't even launch. Not a huge loss considering how inconsistent it already was (I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers every five or so days). Is there anything else I can use to connect a PS3 controller to my PC (gently caress Motion-in-Joy)? I never played the DLC and I kinda wanted to...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

x360ce should do it, although das1 & 2 detect dinput so you have to fiddle with it

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Those of your who are still active with PvP: is cheating still as rampant as it used to be? I'm thinking of making a new character for a PvP build but I'm not sure if it'll be a waste of time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Twitch Plays Dark Souls has now changed the ingame resolution to UHD so now the game window is bigger than the stream capture by a large margin. This is a glorious trainwreck, it's working out basically as well as it possibly could. :allears:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
A few days down the line they'll have crashed to desktop and installed linux on the computer.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Summoning a twink to deal with a twink.jpg

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

fennesz posted:

Those of your who are still active with PvP: is cheating still as rampant as it used to be? I'm thinking of making a new character for a PvP build but I'm not sure if it'll be a waste of time.

I haven't seen an actual cheater in a long time. Early on, you'll fight a lot of players who kept their levels deliberately low so they can invade with endgame gear, but that's only really an issue in the Undead Burg and Parish.

If you want to do 1v1 duels, Oolacile Township is going to be your best bet. It's still a very active place.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Samuel Clemens posted:

I haven't seen an actual cheater in a long time. Early on, you'll fight a lot of players who kept their levels deliberately low so they can invade with endgame gear, but that's only really an issue in the Undead Burg and Parish.

If you want to do 1v1 duels, Oolacile Township is going to be your best bet. It's still a very active place.
No hackers are still a regular, every day occurrence.

Perhaps it's not as bad as before where you could pretty much flip a coin, but definitely still rampant with hackers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
How's catbro activity levels?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sanctum posted:

No hackers are still a regular, every day occurrence.

Perhaps it's not as bad as before where you could pretty much flip a coin, but definitely still rampant with hackers.

This is kind of what I expected. Oolacile Township was where I did most of my PvP via invading, I'll probably roll my new character this week and do the same thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orv posted:

How's catbro activity levels?

drat good, I got lots of hits just walking through there on my latest playthrough the other day. I was very proud of myself for kicking their asses until I ran into a guy right in front of Sif's boss arena that buckler parried me to death. :cripes:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

CJacobs posted:

drat good, I got lots of hits just walking through there on my latest playthrough the other day. I was very proud of myself for kicking their asses until I ran into a guy right in front of Sif's boss arena that buckler parried me to death. :cripes:

That's why I always kept a Combustion in my back pocket. If I see someone fishing parries I just Combustion them to death.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there some nonsense due to the post-GFWL implementation where everyone uses the same Steam region for Dark Souls MP?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a while. Decided to finish the DLC along with a friend who has never played before because my controller is working again. :toot:

Couple things:

1) They nerfed lightning a while ago, correct? I remember my Lightning Uchigatana +5 wrecking things, but never tried before the patch. What's the "easy mode" ascension path now?

2) Anyone can drop a Balder Sidesword and Balder Shield for me? I'm Soul Level 20, steamid is Azran.

3) Failing that, what's the state of anti-cheat in this game? Because I might as well use Cheat Engine to give myself those two weapons, I've killed 150+ Balder Knights and no luck :( (I also want the Paladin helmet but I don't want to push ahead that much without my pal)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

Is there some nonsense due to the post-GFWL implementation where everyone uses the same Steam region for Dark Souls MP?

It's not MANDATORY, but you will have a hell of a time connecting to a particular person if you don't.

If there's an anticheat no one has run into it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

It's not MANDATORY, but you will have a hell of a time connecting to a particular person if you don't.

If there's an anticheat no one has run into it.

I meant like an agreed upon region that the community at large uses for PvP and stuff. Luxembourg supposedly?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Looks like the Twitch Plays Dark stream inspired Lobos Jr to do a run where he plays with Twitch delay by only looking at his stream while playing. He's currently at the Undead Parish.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Wiseblood posted:

Looks like the Twitch Plays Dark stream inspired Lobos Jr to do a run where he plays with Twitch delay by only looking at his stream while playing. He's currently at the Undead Parish.

For a second I thought that he's looking only at his chat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

He just did a backstab to the knight on top of the tower on sunlight altar bonfire but thanks to the delay, he rolled twice, falling to the ground and later to the rats below the bridge. This is better than watching people unbind keys and change video configuration.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Playing this game for the first time after beating Dark Souls 2 about six months ago is such a strange experience. I killed Havel on my first try because he felt exactly like a DS2 boss, but I couldn't get past the Taurus Demon until much later due to the size of the arena and my inability to land plunging attacks.

Is there a guide to which bonfires are worth kindling? If I had known it was going to eventually be a hub for so many zones, I would have kindled the Undead Burg bonfire as soon as I got to it, but I think I'm mostly done with it for now. The one next to Andre seems like a good candidate, but I'm almost finished with two of the three places it leads to.

Is level 30 too high for Quelaag PVE? I've been putting my sign down for half an hour but haven't gotten any hits. I'm trying to practice the fight via co-op before actually taking her on myself.

I'm also in the market for a weapon recommendation. I've got 20 VIT, 20 END and 20 STR, and I've been using a Claymore +5. I like the moveset, so I might just stick with it, but if there are any similar weapons with better scaling or whatever, I'd love to hear about them. I really liked the Bastard and Mastodon swords in DS2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The claymore is a well rounder weapon you can stick to it. Level 30 is normally low (not for speedrunners or SL1 runs) for PvE as most people will be way higher in there. Kindle the one on Andre the blacksmith since you'll be ascending weapons there or upgrading armor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

Is level 30 too high for Quelaag PVE? I've been putting my sign down for half an hour but haven't gotten any hits. I'm trying to practice the fight via co-op before actually taking her on myself.

At level 30, you can be summoned by anyone between level 18 and 44, which is just fine for Quelaag. Are you putting your sign right next to the swamp bonfire? That's generally the best place to get summoned.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm also in the market for a weapon recommendation. I've got 20 VIT, 20 END and 20 STR, and I've been using a Claymore +5. I like the moveset, so I might just stick with it, but if there are any similar weapons with better scaling or whatever, I'd love to hear about them. I really liked the Bastard and Mastodon swords in DS2.

The Bastard Sword is in this game as well, Andre sells it. It's slightly stronger than the Claymore, but has less reach. Also, once you're done with Blighttown, you'll come to an area that's filled with snake-like enemies. Their rare drop is the Man-Serpent Greatsword, which is basically the Claymore, but for pure Strength builds. With your stats, it's definitely worth a try.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

gently caress you Dark Souls.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what helmet is that?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tollymain posted:

what helmet is that?

Since it looks like the Royal Soldier Helm in Dks2 it's probably the Paladin helm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's the Paladin helm with a silver retexture mod :)

Also, now that this game got moved over to Steamworks, is there no way to guarantee I can play along with a particular person? We are less than 600km away from each other, and he keeps getting people from the US and Europe instead of me. I am lvl28, he's lvl19, human, and the boss isn't dead yet.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Azran posted:

gently caress you Dark Souls.

what am i looking at here is the titanite too high to grab or something

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Awesome! posted:

what am i looking at here is the titanite too high to grab or something

Yup! The guy died on top of a broken pillar and I missed out on the titanite.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Azran posted:

Also, now that this game got moved over to Steamworks, is there no way to guarantee I can play along with a particular person? We are less than 600km away from each other, and he keeps getting people from the US and Europe instead of me. I am lvl28, he's lvl19, human, and the boss isn't dead yet.

Are you both using the same Steam region?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Are you both using the same Steam region?

You mean the Download region?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yes.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks :)

fuckyuo
Jan 15, 2008
!

Azran posted:

Yup! The guy died on top of a broken pillar and I missed out on the titanite.

I think if you quit and reload it should move to the ground where you can pick it up ok

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

fuckyuo posted:

I think if you quit and reload it should move to the ground where you can pick it up ok

I know this works with cliffs, I don't know if it'd work on something like that. Definitely still worth a try though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

fuckyuo posted:

Nope, I tried that and it disappeared.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That sort of thing happens from time to time. The first enemies in new londo have an annoying habit of leaving their drops floating in an inaccessible location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

On an unrelated note, it's been really funny to play with someone who has never played Dark Souls (or any Souls games except some Bloodborne) before.

"Okay, we just killed the Moonlight Butterfly. Now go straight and loot the corpse in the tower at the end of the wall. How many souls you've got? 20,000? Go and level up some".
"Uh, I fell down after picking everything."
"How?"
"I don't know, I just fell down."
"Did you die?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, just do the following and you will only have to fight 4 demon shrubs and a stone knight"
"Haha that first shrub killed me whoops" (He has a Balder Knight +6 and an Uchigatana +7 at this point, SL40)

"Where's the bonfire in Darkroot Garden?"
"There's a hidden wall besides that big door with a glowy thing on its center. Just go out from the Parish into the Garden and go straight, you should fight four demon shrubs if you are going the right way."
*5 minutes go by*
"Ah gently caress an Hydra killed me"
"Did you get the bonfire?"
"Nope, couldn't find it"

We did Capra in one shot, then he died while trying to get the aqueduct shortcut open because "the physics engine is a crapshoot and I fell down from where the archer guy was". It took him so many tries to get past the first enemy group in the Lower Burg without my summoned help that he outright gave me his Steam account information so I could play that section for him and then he'd download the updated Cloud files. (I've known the guy IRL for almost a decade)

We get to Sen's. "Okay, be careful now. There's a trap as soon as you enter, and my sign is almost touching it, it's going to fire bolts at you."
"Okay. I'm summoning you."
*I get summoned, and I see he stepped into the trap without blocking, summoning finishes just as he eats the third bolt to the face*

My favourite bit is that he considers Dark Souls to have a nightmarish level of difficulty, "as shown by PDP".

:allears:

• Locked thread