Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay this is too great not to share.

quote:

*My friend summons me, I see him wearing the Dingy set*

Me: Okay, let's kill O&S. After we do, you can use the Orb you got in Firelink Shrine to invade Lautrec and restore the bonfire in Firelink Shrine.

Him: Wait, where's Firelink Shrine again?

Me: The first place you found after leaving the tutorial area.

Him: Which one was the tutorial area?

Me: The asylum?

Him: Oh you mean the prison.

Me: Yeah.

Him: Okay. So what do I do after defeating Lautrec.

Me: You take the Firekeeper Soul you get back to the cell below Firelink Shrine, where you picked up the Dingy set

Him: Dingy Set?

Me: Yes, what you are currently using.

Him: Oh! But wait, where's the cell.

Me: Just down the stairs from the bonfire in Firelink Shrine. There was a woman inside a cell there.

Him: Oh, was there?

Me: Yes.

Him: Okay, but remind me: which place exacly was Firelink Shrine?

He was being 100% honest the entire conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sorry about your friend's brain damage

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Look, maybe his friend is just a 87 year old grandpa

or Jeff Green

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm sorry about your friend

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Azran posted:

Okay this is too great not to share.

Was your friend repeatedly struck on the head recently?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And for that matter, who's on first

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Get your friend some humanity, stat! He's going Hollow! :ohdear:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Azran posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a natural consequence of being led by the hand through Dark Souls.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah I can't imagine the experience being nearly as cool when someone is just feeding you all the answers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Based on previous posts I'm not sure this person could make it through the game any other way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The only reason why I started helping him through the game was because a) I remembered I hadn't played through the DLC yet (which btw was really good and cool, I rushed through it last night by myself - haven't fought Kalameet yet) and b) he asked for help because he had died close to 50 times in the Undead Burg.

"Against the Taurus?"

"No, the Black Knight. Isn't that the boss?"

I think he's just really bad at the game. Some things are expected, like going down the first elevator in Anor Londo and not knowing where the gently caress to go because you didn't notice the path into the Cathedral... but then he retraced back to Sen's Fortress and couldn't get past the first set of swinging blades because he hadn't unlocked the shortcut, so I had to log into his account AGAIN and get him back into Anor Londo. Then he fell like fifteen times while trying to cross the beams in the Anor Londo cathedral because he "gets too scared by the height" and starts fumbling around nerviously with his controller, causing him to roll off before even starting to move.

He really really likes this game and he wants to see the entirety of it but he was afraid he couldn't get past the beginning area because he has poo poo memory. I told him where to look for Solaire and he could VAGUELY remember there was a drake somewhere. After linking him a video about how to get to Solaire, we went and defeated the Gargoyles and he asked me where to go to use the key he got in the steps to the Parish. I told him "look around the area where Solaire was." He went down to New Londo and lost all his souls to ghosts. When I told him "hey, I said near Solaire. Don't you remember you can go there through the shortcut below the bridge?" He said he couldn't remember who Solaire was. "The guy who gave you the thing that allows you to be summoned. Looks like an old-timey knight with a sun on his chest." "Nope, doesn't ring a bell." This was a day after he got the soapstone.

The most annoying moment by far (and I'm a guy with a lot of patience) was when we got invaded in Anor Londo on our 5th boss try. I distracted the invader so he could get into the boss fight. He went, summoned Solaire... and then went down the path to the Giant Blacksmith because he couldn't remember where the boss gate was. And when we actually got into the boss fight he got immediately killed by Super Ornstein because he forgot where Orstein spawned after the cutscene, besides being our fifth try in a row (all of them failed after he got smashed into the ground by Super Orstein's lightning butt stomp).

At least he hasn't leveled Resistance.

These posts are cathartic btw.

Azran fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 22, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does your friend have trouble navigating irl too

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be fair, the Black Knight in the Undead Burg is probably harder than the area boss on your first playthrough, since you most likely don't know how to parry him. Your friend's short-term memory is pretty bad, though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sometimes it's easy to forget that spatial awareness in a virtual environment with plenty of copy-pasted assets you only observe through a tiny rectangular viewpoint with horrible camera controls is actually a learned skill and far from intuitive for people who haven't played action games before. It's even more jarring in first-person games.

of course tons of people also simply have bad spatial imagination or short term memory in general, that's nothing new

and hey, coop playthroughs are fun for both experiencced guide and curious beginner if done right, although i prefer to do them in DS2 because targeted online-play in DS1 is an annoying hassle, to say the least.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tollymain posted:

does your friend have trouble navigating irl too

Nope, he's really good at that IRL.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

and hey, coop playthroughs are fun for both experiencced guide and curious beginner if done right, although i prefer to do them in DS2 because targeted online-play in DS1 is an annoying hassle, to say the least.

Surprisingly there has not been a single occasion where we couldn't summon each other if we were using the same Download Region. I miss being able to be summoned as a Shade or having the Name Engraved Ring though :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Sometimes it's easy to forget that spatial awareness in a virtual environment with plenty of copy-pasted assets you only observe through a tiny rectangular viewpoint with horrible camera controls is actually a learned skill and far from intuitive for people who haven't played action games before. It's even more jarring in first-person games.

of course tons of people also simply have bad spatial imagination or short term memory in general, that's nothing new

My 50+ mother got to Taurus without dying and she hasn't played a video game since the late 90s and hates dual analog. She also has self-admitted awful spatial awareness and she only got lost in the Asylum for like 2 minutes at a time instead of 15 in the Anor Londo grand hall where you just have to spin the camera 360 degrees to see the absolutely gigantic and obvious fog wall visible from nearly anywhere in the room.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm hitting a lot of dead ends after Anor Londo. I couldn't deal with the Stray Demon, so I tried Tomb of the Giants, but I was really hurting for something better than a skull lantern and have no INT. So I tried Demon Ruins, only to be met with essentially the same boss. I'm around level 60 with a +10 Man Serpent Greatsword, so I guess it's time to head to New Londo? Am I "supposed" to have a +15 weapon by this point?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you don't have to have a maxed out weapon but it sure helps

although stray demon is easy, i'm terrible at the game and can survive long enough to take them out with a +5 weapon. try baiting them into either buttslamming or performing the super slow aoe by hiding in the fat rolls of their rear end as much as possible

new londo is a better choice right now than the archives, that's for sure

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I'm hitting a lot of dead ends after Anor Londo. I couldn't deal with the Stray Demon, so I tried Tomb of the Giants, but I was really hurting for something better than a skull lantern and have no INT. So I tried Demon Ruins, only to be met with essentially the same boss. I'm around level 60 with a +10 Man Serpent Greatsword, so I guess it's time to head to New Londo? Am I "supposed" to have a +15 weapon by this point?

New Londo will make that +15 weapon possible, so ya, that's a decent choice. I don't think you'll have any issues making your way through New Londo with that weapon either. Once you get through there, whether you beat the boss or not (and you may want to save that for your post-upgraded weapon), you should be able to upgrade your weapon to at least +14, try the Stray Demon again, upgrade to +15, and then go wherever you like.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

New Londo has the ember that lets you upgrade your weapon to +15, so heading there first is a good idea. It's a fairly easy area at higher levels, just make sure you have some poise.

As for Stray Demon, the easiest way to beat him is this. Approach his area from the side where all the torch hollows are and move forward until the floor breaks. Once you land down in the hole, immediately roll backwards and heal back to full health. Now, your next goal is to get behind him. His AoE attack extends mostly in front of him, so as long as you're behind his tail you're safe. From there on it's just a matter of being patient and attacking when it's safe.

If all else fails, equip the Crest Shield and block his spell. It will still do damage, but not that much, so you can easily just heal through it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alabaster White posted:

My 50+ mother got to Taurus without dying and she hasn't played a video game since the late 90s and hates dual analog. She also has self-admitted awful spatial awareness and she only got lost in the Asylum for like 2 minutes at a time instead of 15 in the Anor Londo grand hall where you just have to spin the camera 360 degrees to see the absolutely gigantic and obvious fog wall visible from nearly anywhere in the room.

No duh your mom get to the Taurus Demon without dying, look at how high her level is. Lady spent forever grinding in Undead Burg probably.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Thanks for the tip. For some reason I could never wrap my head around the timing on Firesage's AoE, so I used the Crest shield to tank it. After that, the Centipede Demon and Lost Izalith were a piece of cake, although I fully admit that I looked up how to cheese the Bed of Chaos because everyone I know who plays Dark Souls complains about that fight.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I started playing this game again after buying it three years ago and giving up after a measely 8 hours. Turns out that the reason I quit back then is still very actual: the horrible D-pad on my 360 controller. Does anyone know a workaround to disable the diagonal directions on the D-pad? I just died to the Taurus demon twice because I tried changing my equipped item and my character put away their sword and shield, and it's getting tiresome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only solution I really know of is to get a PS4/Xbone controller because those thankfully have disconnected d-pad buttons.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Jolan posted:

I started playing this game again after buying it three years ago and giving up after a measely 8 hours. Turns out that the reason I quit back then is still very actual: the horrible D-pad on my 360 controller. Does anyone know a workaround to disable the diagonal directions on the D-pad? I just died to the Taurus demon twice because I tried changing my equipped item and my character put away their sword and shield, and it's getting tiresome.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
But I am good, I swear, it's just the controls! :(

I'll look into getting a better controller. Seems like it's not guaranteed that they'll work properly with DS from what I've read, but let's give it a shot.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Jolan posted:

But I am good, I swear, it's just the controls! :(

I'll look into getting a better controller. Seems like it's not guaranteed that they'll work properly with DS from what I've read, but let's give it a shot.

If you get a DS4 (playstation 4 controller) you'll need this to let windows pretend it's a xbox360 pad. Works perfectly for Dark Souls. There were some issues with Windows10 and the DS4, but those have been fixed.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Went with an Xbone controller, and oh boy does it make a difference. Only problem is that the shoulder buttons are a bit less sensitive, so I had some issues keeping my shield up at first, but at least I wasn't putting it away the entire time. It's amazing the difference such a tiny design change can make.

Now to finish this game before I start my new job.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good luck friend

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Wow, I had been dreading the Four Kings for days, mostly because I hated running through New Londo, but I finally dove in and beat them on the first attempt. Just Seath left to finish up the Lord Souls.

I don't know if I want to take on the DLC/Painted World yet or save them for another playthrough in a few months. I think those are the only places other than the archives and the kiln that I haven't visited yet.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'd say, check out the Painted World at least. It's not very long and the level design is fantastic. The DLC is also amazing, but longer and considerably harder, so if you're getting tired of the game, it might be better to save it for a second playthrough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't not do things. Painted World and the DLC are some of the best parts of the game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'd recommend at least playing the DLC up through Artorias. A lot of people consider him to be the best boss in the game, for good reason.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Manus is great as well.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Picked up DS for $5 from Amazon. Played through once a couple years ago with a sword and shield strength build, but now with my HD textures and fancier looking plants I think I'll do a dex/int build. :)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

So when doing a SL1 run is it acceptable to summon NPC helpers or does that ruin the challenge?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Manslaughter posted:

So when doing a SL1 run is it acceptable to summon NPC helpers or does that ruin the challenge?
it's always acceptable to have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr is doing a run inspired by twitch plays dark souls, where both he and the chat control the character at the same time.

E: It's an interesting idea but I forgot how annoying he is.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 26, 2015

• Locked thread