Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Manslaughter posted:

So when doing a SL1 run is it acceptable to summon NPC helpers or does that ruin the challenge?

There's no rules to SL1 besides finishing the game without levelling up. Some people add more restrictions, like no summoning, not using pyromancies or crossbows, killing all bosses, picking every item, etc., but that's totally up to you. If you feel the game is more fun with summoning, go right ahead. It's an intended mechanic, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

So when doing a SL1 run is it acceptable to summon NPC helpers or does that ruin the challenge?

On my own SL1 run I found that using summons made boss fights much harder, outside of Iron Tarkus and Witch Beatrice.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Just started a new run of DS2, this time I decided to try and go through the game with (mostly) the default items for the wanderer, so we're gonna be powerstancing scimitars and dodgerolling like a motherfucker.

Only problem I'm encountering is that I cannot figure out the timing on the curved-sword parry animation. I can parry almost anything in DS1, but I just cannot figure this out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

argondamn posted:

E: It's an interesting idea but I forgot how annoying he is.
He seems a typical example of people hamming it up once they get more popular, he used to be fine to watch but nowadays it's just cringy.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

argondamn posted:

On my own SL1 run I found that using summons made boss fights much harder, outside of Iron Tarkus and Witch Beatrice.

Beatrice actually blocked my roll a couple times and made me die :mad:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zedd posted:

He seems a typical example of people hamming it up once they get more popular, he used to be fine to watch but nowadays it's just cringy.

welcome to the wolf pack

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I really should have learned how to parry during the last 30 hours because Gwyn is obliterating me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is really amazing how easy or hard Gywn can be just because of the parrying system. When I reached Gwyn I didn't parry much and realised that using heavy armor and iron flesh wasn't helpful enough so once I realised that parrying was better (like at the 20th try or so), went in almost nacked with a buckler and my trusty claymore. The fight is easier enough if you know that after parrying and stabbing him, if you drink an estus flask, that triggers the strong attack animation wich is the easiest to parry so you can chain him in parry-stab-estus-strong attack parry and repeat.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Guillermus posted:

The fight is easier enough if you know that after parrying and stabbing him, if you drink an estus flask, that triggers the strong attack animation wich is the easiest to parry so you can chain him in parry-stab-estus-strong attack parry and repeat.

This is only true for some weapons; others have too long a riposte recovery animation for you to have time to drink an estus.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, it worked for me using the claymore, halberd and battle axe (the only weapons I've used against him so far).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I stomped his rear end with artorias greatshield.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

I stomped his rear end with artorias greatshield.

That's how I did it. Same with Artorias.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gwyn is a really fun fight if you don't parry or block, just because he's so relentless in attacking.

pun pundit posted:

This is only true for some weapons; others have too long a riposte recovery animation for you to have time to drink an estus.

The trick is to circle around him after the riposte. That way he has to turn to face you after getting up, which gives you enough time to heal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I went for the shield playthrough on my first full DKs1 run because I had already played so much dark souls 2 where shields are no where near as useful. It's got its own kind of satisfying nature to block everything. It makes the game waaay easy with artorias greatshield, though. TOO easy.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
^^
what shield(s) did you use as weapons?

Has anyone ever taken a low SL twink into NG+ and kept them in the burgs/parish for invaders? I was thinking about doing that myself. I know a lot of dudes sit around with high SL characters (fairly frequent ganksquads) waiting for low SL twinks to curbstomp. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it would be nice to know for sure that any invader is an actual low-SL invader so when you hear that lightning weapon there's no doubt about what they are doing.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Before going over to NG+ I thought I'd try twink invading one last time in the parish where I would soon be getting invaded in myself. Every hit was an actual fatrolling newbie.

I lost 3/3 invasions with my trusty fire infused broken sword hilt. :3: Those were some loooong fights.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't use shields as weapons, I used like the ZWEI hander and the black knight greataxe. I'm doing NG+ a little for shits and giggles on this guy.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Holy poo poo these burgs/parish twinks are such giant babies, it's infuriating.

These twinks straight up refuse to fight another low-SL character using twink gear the same as them. As soon as I've trashed on them once they immediately resort to returning home, start hacking, or the one guy who popped 4 divine blessings, used all his pyro casts, then hid behind enemies until I summoned another guy and we ganked him. The biggest disappointment was the rare 'good one' invader not using twink gear who I fought using a +5 weapon. He switched to a chaos/fire weapon right before losing. :sigh:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not surprised, honestly. If these people wanted fair fights, they wouldn't become low level twinks. They don't actually enjoy the PvP aspects of Dark Souls, their satisfactions stems entirely from crushing their opponents. By fighting them on equal footing, you introduce the possibility of losing, and that just ruins their fun.

What I'm trying to say is, keep up the good work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You're doing god's work. Make those babies furious.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Holy poo poo these burgs/parish twinks are such giant babies, it's infuriating.

These twinks straight up refuse to fight another low-SL character using twink gear the same as them. As soon as I've trashed on them once they immediately resort to returning home, start hacking, or the one guy who popped 4 divine blessings, used all his pyro casts, then hid behind enemies until I summoned another guy and we ganked him. The biggest disappointment was the rare 'good one' invader not using twink gear who I fought using a +5 weapon. He switched to a chaos/fire weapon right before losing. :sigh:

Just remember that it's better than DS2's SM horseshit.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Lester Shy posted:

I really should have learned how to parry during the last 30 hours because Gwyn is obliterating me.
I never learned to parry because I sorceried my way through the game.

When I reached Gwyn, I died a few times, then soul massed him to death.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gwyn is awesome if you don't cheese him with parries or great combustion. Never tried using sorcery against him.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

argondamn posted:

Gwyn is awesome if you don't cheese him with parries or great combustion. Never tried using sorcery against him.

I had issues with sorcery because of his high attack rate and sorceries' slooow casting speed. I relied more on weapon buff than on damage spells.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fennesz posted:

Just remember that it's better than DS2's SM horseshit.

Indeed. Once my SM got high enough to reach SL 180+ with lots of gear upgraded, multiplayer just dissapears from my playthrough. I think I get invaded or invade a guy once a day (1 time every 6 hours of gameplay) wich is ridiculous.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Guillermus posted:

Indeed. Once my SM got high enough to reach SL 180+ with lots of gear upgraded, multiplayer just dissapears from my playthrough. I think I get invaded or invade a guy once a day (1 time every 6 hours of gameplay) wich is ridiculous.

I got invaded by the same person in the Ivory King DLC 4 times while I was doing the first area. :argh:

But that was all the invasions I got that day.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Guillermus posted:

It actually seems fairly active and I'm at something like 12 million SM but the fact that I thought it went off of SM+SL and just wasted millions of souls other people used to level up...ugh. No fun.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

fennesz posted:

It actually seems fairly active and I'm at something like 12 million SM but the fact that I thought it went off of SM+SL and just wasted millions of souls other people used to level up...ugh. No fun.

It's pretty active, somewhere, regardless of what tier you're in. It works pretty well. Most people are going to play through the game exactly like you did and waste a lot of souls cause you're not supposed to micromanage your SM.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
DS2 was a ghost-town for me, DS1 still feels much more alive. I had to wait around to fight the same ~4 dudes in iron keep. I guess the majority of the DS2 playerbase ponied up :10bux: $50 :10bux: for a DLC?

DS2 was a great game but I'm not gonna pay full price for it twice. The fact that they have the lovely SM system to prevent twinking and then From went and added a twink ring anyways doesn't help either.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't have to pay full price for SoTFS if you own the base game already.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You don't have to pay full price for SoTFS if you own the base game already.

It's also the best (or second best, I waffle on which Souls game I like more as I play it) thing From's put out. Now that I've beaten Scholar I want to play DS1 again though. :negative:

I'm thinking dicking around with dark sorceries while using an enchanted Claymore and the Moonlight Butterfly Horn until I get the MLGS.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's default price is also cheaper, so that + discount (plus super discount if you own all of the DLC) makes it quite affordable, and well worth purchasing even if you're just going to do a single playthrough more, imo, especially with the changes they've made to the enemy and item placement.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Plus the new final boss is actually a legit good final boss

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I fired up DS1 this weekend and decided to do an SL1 run.

I went from the first Anor Londo bonfire all the way through the archers in one go. I caught a hit from the silver knight and was out of flasks so I ended up past the archers with no healing and a tiny sliver of health. I was so high on the triumph of that that I didn't even think and dropped down to the fog gate . . . and died from the tiny bit of fall damage to the ledge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's Dark Souls. I died like twice on the same sorcerer run spamming soul arrow and not noticing the small step forward you do on Dark Souls 2 after each cast, dropping from a bridge to the lava. This game is designed to punish every bit of over confidence. I'm on my 7th ds1 run and got killed when trying to get the zweihander on firelink's graveyard because I got stuck on a grave. Also a lovely hollow soldier kicked me off a ledge. 90% of my deaths on this game come from reckless running. Also Annor Londo archers because gently caress that.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
With a kid on the way, decided I'd finally sit down and play through this game. Finally beat the bull man, only to die to some surprisingly spry skeleton arches above a metal pig, as I was trying to find a party-boss bonfire to cash in at. Next death was rolling off a ledge on the way to retrieve my 3000 or so souls. Then I discovered I could've gone downstairs from the Drake to find a ladder and bonfire. :ghost:

Edit: Thought I'd try two handing the Drake sword. Mauled to death by rats on the ledge under the Drake.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

With a kid on the way, decided I'd finally sit down and play through this game. Finally beat the bull man, only to die to some surprisingly spry skeleton arches above a metal pig, as I was trying to find a party-boss bonfire to cash in at. Next death was rolling off a ledge on the way to retrieve my 3000 or so souls. Then I discovered I could've gone downstairs from the Drake to find a ladder and bonfire. :ghost:

Edit: Thought I'd try two handing the Drake sword. Mauled to death by rats on the ledge under the Drake.

Whatever you do, don't upgrade or get to reliant on the drake sword. It has no stat scaling and becomes pretty useless fairly quickly.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Whatever you do, don't upgrade or get to reliant on the drake sword. It has no stat scaling and becomes pretty useless fairly quickly.

I wasn't planning to upgrade anything until I get the chance to try out a few different weapons, not being sure how rare the upgrade currency is.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So I've been running through this game for the first time, so far I've used a claymore, 2h most of the time. Yes, I've died a shitton of times while learning enemies and bosses. I've been trying to switch to 1h weapons with shield for that reason and I'm always flabbergasted when things don't die in 3 hits or stagger by the second. I'm really struggling to get used to knowing when to bring up my shield, I'm too used to rolling back whenever I feel the slightest threat. That or I parry the attack that drains my entire stamina, leaving me nothing to attack with. General tips for adapting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Don't be a pussy, continue to skip the shield. You're learning how to play the real way, already. Soon you'll embrace it and strip naked and grab the biggest weapon you can.

• Locked thread