Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I really enjoy the animations on the claymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I really enjoy the animations on the claymore.

Yes, where has this weapon been my whole life - it feels like a usable Zwei :)

EDIT: Also, the texture replacements on Nexus Mod are also something I can't believe I lived without. HD Text, HD textures, summon signs, buff icons!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 18, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, where has this weapon been my whole life - it feels like a usable Zwei :)

EDIT: Also, the texture replacements on Nexus Mod are also something I can't believe I lived without. HD Text, HD textures, summon signs, buff icons!

Zwei is usable AND awesome :colbert:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But the claymore is more stylish. It's my favourite weapon but I have to say that the gravelord sword makes up for a fun one too. Some guy invaded me just before I could fight O&S and applied toxin on him on the first hit (backstab), it was funny to see the guy on full havels and a zweihander trying to catch me while he was slowly dying :unsmigghh:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ I'm trying my hand at blue-eye invasions in Anor Londo and so far have only managed to kill someone who was AFK, and invade only for someone to run straight into a boss fog :( At this rate I may as well red-phantom...

ZZZorcerer posted:

Zwei is usable AND awesome :colbert:

I thought this until I tried the Claymore - which appears to be the perfect blend of sword and greatsword.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Zweihander-bros represent, absolutely my favorite non-bullshit weapon (edit: it's actually a little bullshit).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Is there a weapon in the game with more poise damage than the zwei? Besides dragon tooth.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Manslaughter posted:

Is there a weapon in the game with more poise damage than the zwei? Besides dragon tooth.
scroll down for all the poise data you could need: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/poise

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Man, I had my first real competitive PVP experiences in the last few days and it was super enjoyable. First, I used my NG+ character with a naked run to the Graveloord and started infecting everyone - unfortunately I was alt-tabbed when I got invaded and didn't get back in time to defend myself. Then, I used a blue-eye orb with my Darkmoon character and got a couple of invasions, and finally I defended myself against a red phantom who wasn't a complete ganker (although he was spamming humanity to heal himself I believe). Happy days!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sometimes you just get lucky. (from my let's play, found it amusing)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm trying to do co-op so I can Sunbro early, but I've been sitting in the Parish for a few hours and have only gotten one hit. Anyone want to help? Sign's by the path to Andre's bonfire. Level 22, steam name is ZackAter, character name is Jim, I dunno which one the game shows.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Pretty sure I have someone around that level, I'll give it a shot. It shows your steam name.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Got summoned a few times in a row, that was fun. Thanks if anyone here summoned me!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Zack Ater posted:

Got summoned a few times in a row, that was fun. Thanks if anyone here summoned me!

If you haven't, install DS PvP Watchdog - the main function is to show the amount of connected players (denoted as 'nodes') in an overlay in the top left. Typically you will start with zero nodes for the first 5-10 minutes and then they should start to build. There's no point in laying a sign down with zero nodes, since nobody will see it. You can even idle in the menu and alt-tab to do something else and let them build up, which is how a buddy and I can semi-reliably co-op through the game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Never used PvP watchdog, is it an install and forget patch like dsfix or something that has to be run on the background?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yep, exactly like DSFix.

If you haven't already tried this, DSFix has an option to enable texture replacement and then you just drop textures into a subdirectory in your DS data folder - which is great, I've got a hi res texture replacement pack, hi res text, summon signs, etc. and basically has no performance impact for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I do use texture replacements like improved HUDs, a better grass crest shield texture and a few things like HD player messages or summon signs. Nothing really heavy because I kind of like the muddy textures. I'm actually using a Demon's Souls HUD and looks fantastic.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

If you haven't, install DS PvP Watchdog - the main function is to show the amount of connected players (denoted as 'nodes') in an overlay in the top left. Typically you will start with zero nodes for the first 5-10 minutes and then they should start to build. There's no point in laying a sign down with zero nodes, since nobody will see it. You can even idle in the menu and alt-tab to do something else and let them build up, which is how a buddy and I can semi-reliably co-op through the game.

I've not used Watchdog, but I did know about nodes. I was sitting there for a few hours, though, and had been summoned once, so it shouldn't have been that. I might go ahead and install it, though, thanks.

In regards to texture replacements, where do you all get them? The Nexus? My current playthrough is for showing off the game to a friend, so for now I only want to fix the lava (pretty sure I saw a mod on Nexus that turns down/off the bloom), but I'm definitely interested in making the game look nicer for later runs.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Southern Heel posted:

Does Steam/From police DS as much as they do DSII? This sounds mega cool but I'm scared of getting banned.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They don't police Dark Souls 1 at all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pretty much nothing you do in Dark Souls will get you banned. There's absolutely no drawback to installing PvP Watchdog, and I'd consider it downright essential if you want to enjoy a lot of multiplayer activity.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Out of curiosity, why is it essential? Isn't the same effect achieved by just idling for a bit to establish node connections?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zack Ater posted:

Out of curiosity, why is it essential? Isn't the same effect achieved by just idling for a bit to establish node connections?

From the features list, bolding mine:

quote:

it will detect anomalies and blatant forms of cheating, allowing you to remove the offender: soul level and stats coherence; amount of hp related to current equip and/or stats; spells (restricted spells, covenant-only spells, amount of casts) and equipment (un-obtainable, restricted or equipped in the wrong slots).

it will silently (as in you won't even notice it did that, thus more to the "useless" argument - it's just transparent to you) prevent: being cursed (6 different ways); your items from being destroyed via durability hacks (4 ways); being infected with parasite egg (5 ways); being sent home, turned human or frozen in-place (last one optional); and your covenant from being reset.

it will prevent people from becoming invisible (they will show up as 'hacked equip' and DSPW will let you kick them out) — it won't prevent the invisibility bug due to de-synchronization and lag from happening though

it will silently (as above) prevent your game from crashing when someone tries to trigger the "namecrash bug" while invading your world (or you invading theirs) in 6 different injection points, patching out long standing bugs the devs never bothered to fix

it will allow you to increase your node pool to its limit (32 instead of 20), and show how many clients you're actually connected to

it will play a sound when invading or getting invaded, useful if the game is out of focus

It does a lot more than help you connect better.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zack Ater posted:

It depends on how reliable you can get nodes. I know ive had a few issues that prevented me from sourcing a decent node pool (like router configs, changing steam download location(?) or firewall rules) so seeing that you get stuck at 0 is valuable feedback when figuring out issues. If you have tons of nodes after 10 minutes and can get summoned/summon and invade instantly then you're probably fine without it.

it also lets you boot "invalid" (read: stats missmatching SL) invaders from your game, although i dont know how much cheaters like that are still a problem.

e: oh right, the namecrash bug fix is handy if that kind of griefing is still around.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

poo poo, that's getting installed as soon as I get home. Thanks!

I haven't really looked into modding past DSFix and making lava not terrible. I'd heard of Watchdog but had absolutely no idea it does so much.

Telum fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 10, 2015

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does PvP Watchdog have a feature that tells you if you are actually successfully gravelording other people's worlds?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

no but it beeps when you're alt-tabbed out so you can tab back in to see yourself be invaded by the victim and skewered :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I installed PvP Watchdog and read this thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/617328415061592079/ to get more nodes and holy poo poo, makes a huge difference when you know what ports Steam uses for matchmaking and that shizzle. Now I see more summon signs and I can invade more often.

I invaded four times in 30 minutes in Blighttown (yes, I'm a jerk) with Chester's set, Avelyn and Gravelord sword (my Bloodborne gimmick) and was fun to chase down people with the rusted iron ring, make them flee and get them swarmed by all the poo poo that lives at the swamp.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Are community-favoured download regions still going, even after Steam patched its matchmaking?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I came back to this game after giving up on it in Blighttown like 2 years ago on a copy without functioning online thanks to my PC at the time. Started a new game, was surprised at how well I was doing considering I only got to Blighttown and hadn't played it in 2 years. I decided to try and kill the Black Knight in the Undead Burg and partway through the like ten minutes I spent whittling his health down, I got my first PVP invasion ever (I was still human from kindling a bonfire). It was some loving guy in a giant retard mummy hat who sprayed toxin all over me and then sprinted off into the sunset - me, in my starting gear, level 7 or something. After killing the loving Black Knight (woohoo) I finally tracked him down and he just stood with his shield up, not being staggered by anything I could do, until I ran out of Estus and died. Great first PVP experience. Is this what Dark Souls PVP is like? Where's the loving matchmaking that that guy was paired against me?

At least I clowned the Taurus Demon first time, which made me feel a little better. Holy poo poo this game is easier with a controller - it took me I don't even know how many attempts the first time round.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Matchmaking is done by soul level. That guy was probably SL 1 with a fully upgraded high stability shield. Since it's possible to finish the game at SL 1 it's also possible to take your SL1 endgame character into the starting zones and wreck people with your fully upgraded endgame gear.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tarezax posted:

Matchmaking is done by soul level. That guy was probably SL 1 with a fully upgraded high stability shield. Since it's possible to finish the game at SL 1 it's also possible to take your SL1 endgame character into the starting zones and wreck people with your fully upgraded endgame gear.

This is the official sport of Lordran.

PVP gets better the further in the game you go, because (most) people don't make a character to sit at the rough SL range for every given area to invade. Just a few of them.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Doodmons posted:

So I came back to this game after giving up on it in Blighttown like 2 years ago on a copy without functioning online thanks to my PC at the time. Started a new game, was surprised at how well I was doing considering I only got to Blighttown and hadn't played it in 2 years. I decided to try and kill the Black Knight in the Undead Burg and partway through the like ten minutes I spent whittling his health down, I got my first PVP invasion ever (I was still human from kindling a bonfire). It was some loving guy in a giant retard mummy hat who sprayed toxin all over me and then sprinted off into the sunset - me, in my starting gear, level 7 or something. After killing the loving Black Knight (woohoo) I finally tracked him down and he just stood with his shield up, not being staggered by anything I could do, until I ran out of Estus and died. Great first PVP experience. Is this what Dark Souls PVP is like? Where's the loving matchmaking that that guy was paired against me?

The game's matchmaking is as follows:

1) Are there any covenant or zone restrictions on invading?
2) Are there any players in your zone chunk that are currently human?
3) Are you within 10% + 10/-10 of a player's Soul Level?
4) Connect to invadee.

Since you can totally beat the entire game at SL1, you can totally invade anyone at SL1. A lot of folks like to troll early-game areas and gently caress with the newbies, but regardless you should only go human when needed, as you'll still probably lose a fair matchup because PVP is an entirely different game that you need some real knowledge and planning to succeed at.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So basically, don't go human? And if I really need to go human to get help for a boss, pray to the gods that I don't get invaded? Welp

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
getting invaded isn't nearly as big a deal as it sounds

generally you're going to go human as a side-effect of kindling bonfires. you've already achieved what you set out to do, so what's the loss? might as well see if anybody invades you with a funny gimmick instead of suiciding

i guess you might lose your souls? but generally you shouldn't try to hoard them too long anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doodmons posted:

So basically, don't go human? And if I really need to go human to get help for a boss, pray to the gods that I don't get invaded? Welp

Yes, but when you get invaded there is an invisible timer before you can get invaded again, so if you get killed quickly then you could immediately go human again, summon someone and run to the boss door without being in danger the second time.

I doubt there's almost any summon signs anymore though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's fun to get invaded. Get invaded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Getting invaded is fun, if you like having your time wasted by a real-life person and then losing progress while they gain nothing at worst, and neither of you gain anything at best

edit: By the way, crosspost from the other thread:

CJacobs posted:

Yes, but at the point where you would normally beat the 4 Kings you have access to much heavier armor, much more powerful pyromancy, and +15/lightning/fire weapon reinforcement. Your soul level doesn't really matter anymore at that point. You don't have any of those if you do them right out of the gate.

edit: The most you could do, if you start pyromancer and take the master key, is go to Blighttown and walk up it backwards until you get Power Within, then go to the catacombs and get the Gravelord Sword. Then you kill the titanite demons outside of the coffin and Andre's and upgrade it. That will give you probably the highest base damage you can get at that point in the game. If you pick up the Elite Knight set (or the stone set) and the wolf ring while you're on your way to kill Sif, that'll give you enough poise to not get stumbled by one attack at once.

Come to think of it, using that method it actually probably is possible, but it's really not worth doing unless you like the personal challenge.

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXt0jyD9fQI
(it might still be processing)

Well, here it is. Basically to do this you need:

- Pyromancy Flame (taken via class)
- Master Key (starting gift)
- Gravelord Sword
- 2 Demon Titanites (gotten from killing the demon near Andre's workshop and the one by the teleport coffin)
- Elite Knight Set (or Stone set if you want)
- Wolf ring or Havel's ring
- Power Within
- About 20,000-ish souls from any source

The video shows the whole process and the relative amount of time it takes to set it up, which is not very long. In reality it took me an hour and a half counting my deaths to the 4 Kings, but I've edited it down appropriately. Skip to 42:50 if you want to see the fight. This was done without killing any bosses and with very minimal grinding which could've been nixed entirely if I hadn't died and lost some souls.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Doodmons posted:

If you get invaded, you can always alt-f4 out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Upgraded to Windows 10.

DS 1 won't launch - just loads to a black screen and freezes.

Have done the following

- Put it into Windows 7 compatibility mode
- Cleaned out my installation (including manually checking the folder was gone) and re-installed.
- Tried both the main and beta stream
- Renamed the opening movie because someone reported that that crashed the game on their system
- Manually installed the Direct X re-distributables

• Locked thread