Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Filthy Monkey posted:

Sword is next in line. Solid, with reasonable damage. Good enough to get you though the game.

Say that to my face, in PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I killed him later without taking any damage :wink:

I just needed a break from it for a bit!

Heh. Artorias took 3 tries for me, never took a lot of damage but got oneshot by his leaping attack until I figured out that the attack does way too much damage and blocking it only helps if you have a shield buff up. Got Manus on my 3rd try, too.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

KaneTW posted:

Heh. Artorias took 3 tries for me, never took a lot of damage but got oneshot by his leaping attack until I figured out that the attack does way too much damage and blocking it only helps if you have a shield buff up. Got Manus on my 3rd try, too.

Artorias took me two tries... though I came in overprepared, overlevelled, Artorias' shield, and a black knight greataxe. Still my favorite fight in the game, though.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Fire claymore, good idea?

I'm about 9 hours into the game, but 6 of those have been parry training in the Burg. I'm using Astoria's Straight Sword at the moment, and it's plenty powerful and I like the look, but I'm getting the feeling that a fire weapon is necessary. I've also heard that the claymore is the only one you get, and it's pretty great, so I don't want to turn it into a fire sword if that's not good.

I managed to down Havel after a dozen attempts, is there another load increasing ring that's easily accessible? I want fastroll in this Knight Armor.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

r3v3n4nt posted:

I managed to down Havel after a dozen attempts, is there another load increasing ring that's easily accessible? I want fastroll in this Knight Armor.

You could kill Lautrec for the Ring of Favor and Protection which gives another 20% equip, hp and stamina.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

r3v3n4nt posted:

I'm about 9 hours into the game, but 6 of those have been parry training in the Burg. I'm using Astoria's Straight Sword at the moment, and it's plenty powerful and I like the look, but I'm getting the feeling that a fire weapon is necessary. I've also heard that the claymore is the only one you get, and it's pretty great, so I don't want to turn it into a fire sword if that's not good.

1: Fire Claymore would be okay, but you can easily pick up other weapons to do the job too if you want to save it. Zweihander in the graveyard. Fire Zwei+5 carried me through my first win Also if you don't like it, you can just downgrade it back to +5 from any blacksmith.

2: Yes; Kill Lautrec for the Ring of Favor and Protection. It increases health, stamina, and equip load by 20%, but breaks if ever removed e;fb

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

r3v3n4nt posted:

Stats based on: Knight set (Not Elite Knight set), Kite shield (Either one, they're exchangeable), and Broadsword:

FaP Ring + Havel's Ring + 29 End = Fastroll.

Same setup with a Claymore will require 36 End. You can cut some weight by swapping to a Heater Shield, it's virtually the same as either Kite Shield plus or minus a few Stability.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

r3v3n4nt posted:

Fire Claymore is my weapon of choice until I get to the level where my stats make my actual weapon better. You can always downgrade your claymore if you want to do something else with it too.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just to clarify, a fire weapon might be good but it isn't necessary. Do whatever you want.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Has anyone ever killed Gwynevere but had Anor Londo remain in light? The Fire Keeper still aggro'd me, but she was at the bonfire and not waiting for me at the rotating platform, and all the enemies are still around.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If you attacked Gwynevere (boobs) it should have gone dark. If you are talking about Gwendolyn (not-boobs) what you describe is normal.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Alright, I might make one then.

I'm only at 21 End and levels are getting harder to come by. So it could be awhile before I get fastroll, even if I get that other ring. I assume there's some serious soul inflation as I get deeper in the game.

What's the rule on upgrading armor? I found a smith and got to +3/+2 on all 4 of my pieces. I'm working on the assumption that the Knight set is the coolest looking armor for awhile, but hopefully not ever.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's up with people contantly leaving their warning messages either right on top of or just past the thing they're warning you about? That's redundant as hell.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Robo Reagan posted:

What's up with people contantly leaving their warning messages either right on top of or just past the thing they're warning you about? That's redundant as hell.

They get past it and think "Whew that was tough!" and then put down a sign where they are and continue on their merry way.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

r3v3n4nt posted:

Alright, I might make one then.

I'm only at 21 End and levels are getting harder to come by. So it could be awhile before I get fastroll, even if I get that other ring. I assume there's some serious soul inflation as I get deeper in the game.

What's the rule on upgrading armor? I found a smith and got to +3/+2 on all 4 of my pieces. I'm working on the assumption that the Knight set is the coolest looking armor for awhile, but hopefully not ever.

Remove your helmet, replace your gloves with the Black Leather Gloves from Lower Undead Burg, FaP+Havel ring combo, and you got fastroll right now.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Robo Reagan posted:

I mostly just want to know why nobody seems to rate messages ever. I think I've seen a +3 message like once. The rest are 0 or sometimes 1-2.

I don't think I've ever had a message of mine rated, and I put them in useful places all the time.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Robo Reagan posted:

Maybe you're encountering the messages backwards. As in, you took a different route and are running backward compared to the way the guy who wrote it was.

Also, there's no rule on upgrading armor other than "prioritize your shield and weapon" because the later, cooler armors that you'll find might take different crafting materials, and anyway crafting materials are all either purchasable, farmable, or both. There's no way to gently caress yourself over with crafting.

edit: I take that back, but only kind of. Bosses drop special souls which you can use to craft unique items. Each soul has multiple items associated with. Most of the items aren't really that great, but you can only get one per soul per playthrough.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 14, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TerminalBlue posted:

I mostly just want to know why nobody seems to rate messages ever. I think I've seen a +3 message like once. The rest are 0 or sometimes 1-2.

I don't think I've ever even seen a message, and I put them in useful places all the time.

Clearly I need to play more, I rate every message, everything between need head to amazing chest and beyond. If I see it and I'm not exactly pressed for time, it's getting rated.

Now, if downrating removed humanity, I might do that instead just to gently caress with people, but as far as I'm aware you can only give humanity.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's no way to gently caress yourself over with crafting.

Whoooooa, do you see the stats I could get if I made my Knight Shield +15? And goddamn, how awesome is that resistance on a Sorcerer Hat +10!

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 14, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

r3v3n4nt posted:

Generally, I don't find myself upgrading normal titinite armor much past +3. +3 is pretty cheap though, and if it helps you get though to anor londo then go for it. I usually prefer heavier armors though, and usually ones that take twinkling. Catarina+ and a medium roll is usually what I am for.

If you are going for a fast roll though, you definitely might pick out some nice light armor and go with that.

Gargoyle helm is a nice one if you are trying to keep things light. A good use of twinkling.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 14, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

Generally, I don't find myself upgrading normal titinite armor much past +3. +3 is pretty cheap though, and if it helps you get though to anor londo then go for it. I usually prefer heavier armors though, and usually ones that take twinkling. Catarina+ and a medium roll is usually what I am for.

If you are going for a fast roll though, you definitely might pick out some nice light armor and go with that.

+6 is pretty much right where you want it, since Large Shards are easy to get. If you happen to run through New Londo a lot, it can even be worth it to bring them to +9, if you have no weapons or shields to take priority.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Clearly I need to play more, I rate every message, everything between need head to amazing chest and beyond. If I see it and I'm not exactly pressed for time, it's getting rated.

I rate every damned message that's not bad information unless I'm currently being murdered by things too. :mad:

I keep the orange soapstone equipped just for that reason.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TerminalBlue posted:

I rate every damned message that's not bad information unless I'm currently being murdered by things too. :mad:

You can just hit select/back/whatever-the-keyboard-for-gesture-is while reading it to rate.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Now, if downrating removed humanity, I might do that instead just to gently caress with people, but as far as I'm aware you can only give humanity.

Whoooooa, do you see the stats I could get if I made my Knight Shield +15? And goddamn, how awesome is that resistance on a Sorcerer Hat +10!

I think wasting your time is different than loving yourself over. Besides, unless you check a wiki you can't see what the stats will be at level 15 anyway, so at that point you could easily just look at the other items using the convenient tables of all the items in the game and plan out your build as you please.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think wasting your time is different than loving yourself over. Besides, unless you check a wiki you can't see what the stats will be at level 15 anyway, so at that point you could easily just look at the other items using the convenient tables of all the items in the game and plan out your build as you please.

If someone's playing this game and isn't upgrading their shield to +14 already (At which point that can easily just preview what it'll be like at +15), then they've got bigger problems than just having to grind more.

One such big problem is the amazing damage they'll be doing to Gwyn with their Drake Sword.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

You can just hit select/back/whatever-the-keyboard-for-gesture-is while reading it to rate.

I did not know this! You just freed up an item slot for me, sir.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Filthy Monkey posted:

If you attacked Gwynevere (boobs) it should have gone dark. If you are talking about Gwendolyn (not-boobs) what you describe is normal.

I'm talking about the big illusion behind the bonfire. I fired an arrow at her and she disappeared, but then nothing else happened.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

TerminalBlue posted:

I rate the bad information too if it is especially funny.

I saw one earlier that was by the well that recommended jumping into the well, it had +7 or so. Also there were a few bloodstains from people jumping into the well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My shield is +5. It will remain there for eternity. :colbert:

(It's a Black Knight Shield, too lazy to upgrade the Silver Knight one since I found it later)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I saw one earlier that was by the well that recommended jumping into the well, it had +7 or so. Also there were a few bloodstains from people jumping into the well.

I love those.

Also, Try thrust.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
^^^^
GODDAMN IT

I knew I couldn't have been the first person to drop that sign there

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Well okay, that too. But it does have to be funny.

My 'Try Thrusting' sign right behind the corpse on the well at firelink has gotten nothing. I can only imagine it's an old joke or something by now.

More topically, I didn't kill Jerkface McGoldenarmorLatrec this time. He killed the firekeeper(which I knew about), but if I hadn't gotten the tip from him about Petrus and Rhea does that mean I'm boned as far as buying miracles from here on in? Aside from the crappy ones Petrus sells and I already have?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I've only seen one message rated above a 1 or 2, it was rated 48 and just said "Jump!" on the sheer cliff face somewhere near Firelink.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TerminalBlue posted:

Well okay, that too. But it does have to be funny.

My 'Try Thrusting' sign right behind the corpse on the well at firelink has gotten nothing. I can only imagine it's an old joke or something by now.

More topically, I didn't kill Jerkface McGoldenarmorLatrec this time. He killed the firekeeper(which I knew about), but if I hadn't gotten the tip from him about Petrus and Rhea does that mean I'm boned as far as buying miracles from here on in? Aside from the crappy ones Petrus sells and I already have?

You save her down in the hellpits of the Tomb, then you warp back out and slaughter Petrus, then you buy everything from her in the Parish. You also want to do all that before going to Duke's Archives, generally.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?

Volte posted:

I'm talking about the big illusion behind the bonfire. I fired an arrow at her and she disappeared, but then nothing else happened.

As far as i have seen you will have to enter her room and stand around inside it for a second to get the whole darkness thing going, so you can kill her and run off immediately and not have it go dark.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

One thing I have to give Smough's hammer credit for is that there aren't a lot of weapons you can do this with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nQt_KE6TE

A lot of people don't seem to realize that you make less noise by moving slowly too.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

You save her down in the hellpits of the Tomb, then you warp back out and slaughter Petrus, then you buy everything from her in the Parish. You also want to do all that before going to Duke's Archives, generally.

Okay, I just don't want Rhea to die. I need those damned miracles. Killing Petrus is just a bonus because I want his fatman cleric armor.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I just invaded a game and something seemed really really off. Two guys just sat there walking in circles, both in human form rather than one of them being a spirit. I couldn't damage either of them despite showing up as a red spirit. Then I walked up the stairs towards where Ornstein and Smough would be and a tiny Ornstein who did not appear to be a boss ran out and died in two hits. After that a blue spirit came and killed me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the best thing to spend dragon scales on? And will I be screwing myself if I divide my level ups between END/DEX/STR?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

muike posted:

What's the best thing to spend dragon scales on? And will I be screwing myself if I divide my level ups between END/DEX/STR?
Most people generally don't spend them on anything. The most likely candidate is probably the Obsidian greatsword now though.

As for your plan, you usually don't want to focus on both dex and str, unless you have something very specific in mind. Either get enough str to wear your shield/weapon and focus on on dex, or get enough dex to use your weapon and focus on strength.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Uh, does NG+ Seath have some new attack or something? First time I fought him his main attack was shooting a ray that would create the curse crystals. This time does this AoE attack that fills literally the entire floor with them (I checked by rolling around the entire perimeter of the arena). As far as I can tell there's no way to avoid getting cursed by it, even with Havel's armor.

edit: Looks like if you get him to back up against a wall you can stay out of its range. If he's in the dead center of the arena, there's basically nothing to do but stand in it and hope it goes away before the curse takes hold.

Volte fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Jesus...Sanctuary Guardian is harder than Gwyn, if only because it doesn't let up for a single second. Gotta do the whole fight without getting hit basically.

• Locked thread