Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks for all the replies! I'd only been really using humanity when I need it, instead of being in perpetual "human" mode all the time. But it's good to know that losing humanity is, like losing souls, only a time sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Thanks for all the replies! I'd only been really using humanity when I need it, instead of being in perpetual "human" mode all the time. But it's good to know that losing humanity is, like losing souls, only a time sink.

Using a humanity doesn't turn you human, only adds a liquid humanity to your pool. You have to spend 1 liquid humanity at a bonfire to turn human.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Holy poo poo:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
THIS ISN'T NEW LONDO, THERE ARE RULES

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've just entered the Depths, and I want to begin thinking about how I build my Warrior character up. Last playthrough I did a Knight. This time I want to go a little lighter on defense and lighter in weight in general. I like this freedom of movement. My first question is when I should move on from the Drake Sword. I don't want become too reliant on it, but I also don't want to halve my offense. And therein lies the big question: what sword would you recommend at this point in the game for me? I'd like something with a moveset similar to the Drake Sword. I can't stand slow weaponry. I imagine I want something with a high dex bonus?

Shut the gently caress up, Snuggly!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What you want is the Baldur Side Sword, but it's a rare drop, so for now, go with the Longsword. Then, once you're on the top of Sen's Fortress, grind until you get the BSS. Upgrade it to +15 (eventually), it will never let you down.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Look at this sword:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNivVYeH8L4

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 20, 2013

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Revol posted:

I've just entered the Depths, and I want to begin thinking about how I build my Warrior character up. Last playthrough I did a Knight. This time I want to go a little lighter on defense and lighter in weight in general. I like this freedom of movement. My first question is when I should move on from the Drake Sword. I don't want become too reliant on it, but I also don't want to halve my offense. And therein lies the big question: what sword would you recommend at this point in the game for me? I'd like something with a moveset similar to the Drake Sword. I can't stand slow weaponry. I imagine I want something with a high dex bonus?

Shut the gently caress up, Snuggly!

Kill the undead merchant near the "first" bonfire and you'll get the Uchigatana. This is the sword you want. Don't be so reliant on the Drake sword.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Exactly what effect is that supposed to be?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Seriously, the Uchi is amazing and the stupid merchant can go gently caress himself.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Exactly what effect is that supposed to be?

That's cursing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Trap Star posted:

Kill the undead merchant near the "first" bonfire and you'll get the Uchigatana. This is the sword you want. Don't be so reliant on the Drake sword.

And if you don't want to kill the merchant, just join the forest covenant for a while and go buy it from Shiva in Blighttown. Uchigatana's moveset is fairly comparable to the Balder Side Sword, but it also has bleed damage, which is nice against many high hp enemies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TastyAvocado posted:

That's cursing.

Ah, I've never seen someone cursed, so I didn't know what it looked like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The downside of the Uchi is that it's got the durability of a wet paper towel, and the guy you're about to kill to get it is the only one who sells repair powder.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Colon V posted:

The downside of the Uchi is that it's got the durability of a wet paper towel, and the guy you're about to kill to get it is the only one who sells repair powder.

It has plenty of durability. So long as you have the Repairbox, you never have to worry about a weapon suddenly breaking.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Smol posted:

And if you don't want to kill the merchant, just join the forest covenant for a while and go buy it from Shiva in Blighttown. Uchigatana's moveset is fairly comparable to the Balder Side Sword, but it also has bleed damage, which is nice against many high hp enemies.

I never bother with buying it since it's easy to purchase everything that merchant sells exclusively. As for the repair powder, it's not very long before you can buy the Repair Box so it's kind of a moot point unless you're wasting time farming souls in the Burg or something.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Colon V posted:

What you want is the Baldur Side Sword, but it's a rare drop, so for now, go with the Longsword. Then, once you're on the top of Sen's Fortress, grind until you get the BSS. Upgrade it to +15 (eventually), it will never let you down.

I'm pretty sure I've got that, actually.

Trap Star posted:

Yikes, I'd hate to kill a merchant.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Revol posted:

I'm pretty sure I've got that, actually.

Yikes, I'd hate to kill a merchant.

It's not a big deal. I don't have the game running to check but for like 10,000 souls you can buy everything he sells and there's no downside to killing him except that he's the only guy that sells Lloyd's Talismans, an item I've never bothered with personally.

-Buy the chainmail armor set if you want
-Buy some repair powder (also optional)
-Buy the residence key and bottomless box
-Buy any weapons you want (pretty sure every weapon he sells can be found elsewhere)
-Kill Merchant, two-hand the Uchi and wreck poo poo in the Burg

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Colon V posted:

Elizabeth sells it, too, albeit much later in the game, and if you're really in desperate need of repairs and haven't gotten to Andre you can always make your way back to Rickert.

Of course if you're reluctant to go around murdering random people in cold blood just so you can become ever-more powerful, joining the Forest Hunters and buying one off of Shiva is also an option, as others have mentioned.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 21, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Colon V posted:

Elizabeth sells repair powder as well, but unless you're using a weapon with a special attack you shouldn't need it.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Is there a mod out there to remove the sword sheaths? It drives me crazy that not only does it look unsightly on my character, putting your weapon away hides both the sword and sheath so it's utterly pointless as well. The two games I have going concurrently are using the Claymore and Uchigatana and both of these suffer from this problem

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles my first try, without the aid of Solaire. I'm kind of surprised I pulled it off, but I played a lot of Demon's Souls so I think I've sorta got a grasp of how these games work. This game is really, really good, I don't know why I put it off for so long.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

I managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles my first try, without the aid of Solaire. I'm kind of surprised I pulled it off, but I played a lot of Demon's Souls so I think I've sorta got a grasp of how these games work. This game is really, really good, I don't know why I put it off for so long.

Buy a couple of the items that break cursed status from the NPC nearby, you'll want some later and nobody sells them cheaper.

Purging stones, couldn't remember the name. They're 3000 souls each but you'll be kicking yourself if you have to come back here to get one later.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah, I made sure to buy a couple of them, especially after getting hit with a hacker's cursed weapon in the Undead Burg and having to start over last night, haha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If anybody between level 14-38 needs a co-op phantom anywhere up to Duke Archives, message me through GFWL (TheShineNSB) and I'll warp over. I'm in a sunbroing mood.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was right, I did have Balder Side Sword. It's at +5 now and my Dex is 18, currently doing 3/4 the damage Drake did. And it's probably for the best that I have a thrust attack, too.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Revol posted:

I was right, I did have Balder Side Sword. It's at +5 now and my Dex is 18, currently doing 3/4 the damage Drake did. And it's probably for the best that I have a thrust attack, too.

BSS has one of the most solid movesets in the game. Love it.

Edit: Not as much as I love the Great Scythe, but still.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't need to hear this.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Am I the only one having an issue with the 360 controller on PC and my character just randomly not being able to run and suddenly walking? Kind of annoying when running away from various things.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Am I the only one having an issue with the 360 controller on PC and my character just randomly not being able to run and suddenly walking? Kind of annoying when running away from various things.

Do you have the fps unlocker enabled on dsfix?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Speaking of scythes, imho the regular scythe has a near unbeatable combo of range, speed, damage, poise damage and weight. Love that beast.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I had this issue with one 360 controller but not another. Old one would have issues running if I was pointing the stick straight upwards, but just slightly to the side caused no issues. New one has no problems.

No clue why Dark Souls has this issue with so many controllers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Revol posted:

Wait until you see it at +14/+15 @ 40 Dex. :getin:

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Node posted:

Do you have the fps unlocker enabled on dsfix?

Yes, is this the necessary side effect? Cos capping at 30fps has way improved performance and playability for me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If you would like to make Dark souls look pretty, run SweetFX on top of DSFix. I know people have talked about it, but I went ahead and spent several hours tweaking settings to come up with a config I like. http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/137/

You can get a GUI version of SweetFX to run on top of DSFIX here http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/
It's called SweetFX Configurator. (No more tweaking those pesky INI files!)

Someone try my settings out and let me know if it looks good for you.

Maybe someone can improve it. Let me know if you need any questions answered, and maybe put it in the OP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

...I think you might be misunderstanding what an FPS unlocker does?

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I dunno why everyone insists on stripping naked for the Anor Londo archers. If you can't do it in at least a mid roll then you can't do it :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Colon V posted:

He's not. The game will run better if set to 30, as without it, the framerate will sometimes be locked at 15.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Colon V posted:

For whatever reason it's way more stable, without it the game grinds to a halt with a few enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
DSFIX has improved Anti-aliasing and you can have your video card downsample the image from a greater resolution. In fact I am hardly using DSFix for any graphic reason at all, and am relying on SweetFX to do the leg work.

The only settings I am using in DSFIX;
renderWidth 2880
renderHeight 1620
dofOverrideResolution 1080
hide mouse pointer
enableTextureOverride

TL;DR
I mostly useDSfix for downsampling and to hide the mouse pointer, I prefer SweetFX.
Edit; misunderstood thought Colon V was replying to me for some reason

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 21, 2013

• Locked thread