Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Moto42 posted:

Reviewers can't seem to say enough nice things aobut these games; probably because they are all shills.
On the other hand, people who aren't trying to make a living in the industry are also trying to mail their firstborn to the devs in thanks...
Ok. I'm sold.
This is the first Steam game I'm pay full price for in a long time.
I'll take your advice and keep clear of the thread till I've had some experience with it.

Go buy it on greenmangaming.com, use the code DERHE-RRDER-RINGE, get 20% off. It's steamworks, and they're a legit site, no risks.

And hopefully everyone that ordered there will get our drat keys sometime very soon. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Game looks fantastic on that stream. Sucks that it got cracked already, though.

The next eight hours are going to be painful.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

Will I be able to use GFWL to download the game client if I have the key for it? Yes, I bought the game.

Everywhere I saw offering preorders said it requires Steam, so I wouldn't bet on it, no.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Tolain posted:

I see a key on my GMG page but it's a lot longer than the usual steam key and isn't working under activation. Is that maybe the GFWL component or something?

Mine looked a little long and activated fine on Steam, but like gibbed said it isn't letting us preload yet. It lists as "Dark Souls Pre-Order" on my game list.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

iuvian posted:

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

There is (was?) a stream going for a while of someone's pirated PC version, and it looked absolutely fine. It also played drat well, apparently getting no slowdown in places where it slowed down bad on the console.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
gently caress, this is the game that's finally going to make me buy a goddamn 360 controller. The KB+M controls are almost usable, but the mouse cursor staying up, the button prompts, and the automatic target switch on camera panning just kill me. Literally. Almost managed to beat Taurus on my third attempt, but then I clicked outside the window and welp.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Just had my first genuine Dark Souls experience with the motherfucking Bell Gargoyles. Total loss: 20,000 souls, 6 humanity, two pine resins, not having bruised knuckles because I got so loving mad dying to the Balder Knight on the way back up and losing my bloodstain with all its treats that I punched a wall. Total gain: abso-loving-lutely nothing, boss still lives, yay!

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

uPen posted:

I'll give the church another look, last time I was in there all I saw was a sorcerer I couldn't reach, some huge dude who killed himself and a soul.

There's a set of stairs you definitely missed. It's right by the elevators.

On a semi-related note, boy does actually finding the blacksmith first make the gargoyles a hell of a lot easier. Now, it's time for me to engage in some jolly cooperation and beat the everliving gently caress out of those assholes a couple times. It's cathartic and profitable!

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Alright, I made it out of the tutorial area with dying once to the boss, I stayed on the ledge too long and got instant killed by the fall and hit. I started out as a warrior, and sort of want to go 2h. Which stats should I level up mainly? I'm pretty much a total newbie to the game.

You want enough strength and dex to equip your big weapons and as much vitality and endurance as you can get to stay alive. You can get your first big-rear end sword not too long into the game without sequence breaking, getting really lucky with a drop, or using trickery a newbie never would think of. It takes 16 strength to wield one-handed or ~11 to use with two hands, and you get it on a very dangerous bridge. You'll know the one when you see it.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Oh, gently caress me, the Zweihander was there? It was right there the whole time? Doesn't that mean a level one could... of course it means a level one could go get it. WELP.

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats the deal with the goddamn capra demon? Room is tiny and you get swarmed by the dogs immediately and die.

Welcome to the gear check boss! You need some pretty good, upgraded armor to take him on, and a shield is recommended. Make sure you activate the short cut below him that lets you run from a bonfire right back to him really fast, and if all else fails, summon a bro. Everyone loves to help, I'm camped out at the Capra with a sign down right now.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Running across the bridge with the firebombing zombies in the Undead Burg. Pointing camera right at the guy in the room in front of me. Hit lock target. Camera swings 90 degrees up and to the left onto the firebombing zombie. Immediately run straight off the side.

:darksouls:

I've done this exact thing more times than I can comfortably admit. :smith:

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Oh God, gently caress Blighttown. My frame rate is pretty good, but gently caress everything else about this godforsaken hellhole and its snipers with their curving darts and falls everywhere and lovely layout.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I so want to single emote reply this with :allears:.

Blighttown was always one of my favorite areas, even when the framerate was terrible. Its layout is so weird, with so many paths converging on one another and the rickety bridges and just everything about it.

You'll learn to like it eventually, when you functionally memorize the entire thing, just like the rest of Dark Souls. Once you finish up that mental map, it becomes a breeze.

I found the bonfire. A bonfire. There's a loving bonfire that's all I know, I feel safer.

Of course, this happened after I saw a glowy a floor below me, jumped down to get it, and the loving floor collapsed out from under me and plunged me into an abyss of misery and despair from which there is no escape back to the joys of reality.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The snipers don't respawn at least.

Also if you use the Dung Pie you'll get a mild toxin instead of their bullshit one.

And thank Christ for that. I'll have to try that trick, one of the fatasses dropped me one of them items.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

If you think those darts are bad, wait until into the second half of the game, there's a place with much, much worse ranged enemies. And they respawn.

:suicide:

I will say one thing, though. I've never felt more like a pissed off, vengeful berserker than I was just now when a sniper hit me, I was all out of blooming moss, and I decided gently caress it and just charged his position, mauled him with my claymore, and sat there to wait to die standing on his corpse.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Progress since last post:
-Found NPC and killed butcher type guys in the depths. thats all there is to that place right?
-Killed Havel but can't get past that hydra, at least I dont think I can kill it yet.

So, where do I go next really?

Go back to the Butcher area. Down in the water, there's a hole in the wall you can walk up into.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

lonters run around posted:

This isn't playable with a keyboar+mouse is it? I actually found it easier to just use a keyboard, but that really sucks too.

It is playable, actually. The camera is wonky with the mouse and it's very obviously meant for a gamepad, but with the fixer to make the mouse cursor disappear, you can play well enough.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Woo! Blightdown done, got to the bottom, bro'd it up to take down the boss, rang the bell. Oh, hey, there's a passage back here, let's see where this takes me-

:stare:

How about the direction the cutscene pointed instead, that sounds better.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
I'm balls-deep in Sen's Fortress, I'm out of Estus, and I have no clue when I'm going to find a bonfire. There's a giant throwing huge loving exploding boulders at me or something, enhanced Balder knights, and so many snakemen oh god make them go away.

I'm scared, guys. I'm scared.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

jonjonaug posted:

This video will show you where the Sen's Fortress bonfire is. Its kind of hidden.

Good God, thank you for posting this. I'd have never found that on my own.

And now, that is one big knight.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

It's the blowdart snipers, I immediately get the effect though when I get hit even with the ring.

Those guys are complete assholes. Your only real choice is to learn their locations and quickly dart from cover to cover until you can get up in their faces and murder them with extreme prejudice. That, or shoot them from afar, but it's tricky to spot them sometimes. The female undead merchant between Firelink and the Depths sells blooming purple moss that will cure toxic for 2000 souls a pop.

The good news is, the fuckers don't respawn. Once they're gone, they're gone.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Made it to Anor Londo. Anyone that says this game isn't beautiful can go to hell.

Is there a shortcut at some point in the near future back to the 'old' world? Or is it time to pack in for the long haul?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Just reached the Anor Londo archers, and I can see why they have a reputation for being the most horrible thing. I'm going to give it a few more tries, then just see about calling in some help.

Edit: Killed one. Praying to God they don't respawn.

Edit2: :smith:

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 27, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

I've got some bad news for you.

Please tell me there's a bonfire right after these fuckers so I never have to successfully do this more than once.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

This plus realizing I can just sprint past the giants and demons on the way back has given me the spirit to go on. Praise the sun.

Edit: Okay, I can consistently reach Dickhead Maximus on the right and stay alive. Now it's just a matter of killing him.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 27, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Try parrying.

Trying this taught me two things: first, I'm godawful at parrying. Second, it doesn't matter when the enemy walks right off the side and plummets to his death.

It's over. :woop:

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Congratulations. Have fun with the boss!

I think I found the boss fog door. Opened the big-rear end gate that must be my shortcut from the bonfire to my inevitable demise with the boss.

...Now to figure out how to kill these cleric-giant guardians.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Nahxela posted:

Those guys respawn, take a bit of effort to take out, and can easily be ignored by running to the fog door. If you don't like dealing with them, I would suggest running away. Though, if you don't want to take any risks, no harm in poking them to death.

My first comedy attempt at the boss involved dashing past them, going through the fog door, and having them follow me in. Getting juggled by them and the bosses both, I lasted about five or six seconds.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Jesus Christ Ornstein and Smough are the worst bullshit yet. After Anor Londo's long slog of every fight feeling like a mini-boss and then this, I feel like I'm losing my will to keep trying.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
The Tomb of Giants is a scary place and I'm out of estus and I want to go home. :stare:

e: Oh, found a bonfire 10 seconds later. One that I don't appear to be able to warp to.

further e: Every enemy down here is an rear end in a top hat. gently caress you, giant skeletons. gently caress you, skeletal tower things.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 28, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Aww, widdle baby skeletons, how cute!

OH gently caress IT HURTS SO MUCH AND NOW I'M TOXIC.

And then Nito utterly destroyed me in about eight seconds.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 28, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Orv posted:

Look into the Evil Eye ring for those baby skeletons.

Once I figured out "get out the water, moron" they weren't so bad. Boss down, too, time to decide where to go next and search out those ever-elusive titanite chunks.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

keyframe posted:

You can buy Titanite chunks and twinkling titanite from the Anor Lando blacksmith.

He doesn't sell chunks, just small and large shards of the plain stuff, sadly.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Okay, New Londo has no bonfires, got it. What's the best place to bind to make the excruciatingly tedious run back less awful?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Firelink Shrine and take the elevator down to the Valley of the Drakes and over the bridge through the giant doors.

Is attempting to just run past the drakes going to result in my hilariously quick demise?

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Eh, just have a decent shield and they're pretty easy to avoid. Half of the time they'll swoop at you and fall off the bridge themselves. They're also pretty slow too. Dodge n' weave.

Or maybe I've just gotten good at that sort of thing in Dark Souls having never once enchanted a weapon with Holy and beaten the catacombs every time by deftly avoiding skeletons until I can run up and smash their necromancer.

One of them followed me in, but he died pretty fast, and I got a good drop. I'm pleased.

Then I died on the boss almost immediately. Again. But this time, it was because my shield button mysteriously stopped working. I'm positive I wasn't two handing, it was sitting on my arm, but my character wasn't raising it, how good a bug.

e: Welp, three of them followed me that time. gently caress New Londo, this no bonfire thing is utter horseshit.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Fuuuuuuuck me the boss of Lost Izalith is a new kind of frustrating.

Pits! And hands with enormous range that swing way too fast and hard, to knock you into them! This isn't challenging, it's just stupid.

gently caress, the one time I look like I'm going to actually make this bullshit platforming segment, I get swatted by a hand in mid-air and begin my fourteenth run back to the boss.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 29, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
Got a Black Knight Great Axe to drop, and ground up my strength the little bit I needed to one-hand it.

:aaaaa:

I've needed this in my life. To +5 it goes!

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006
DLC spoilers

Just got to the Chasm of the Abyss and my framerate took a colossal dive. This bodes poorly with the caster assholes that knock off half my health with every shot. Time to get real good with the silver pendant.

And goddammit Manus would be an easy fight if not for my dire need to get lop off his tail for a weapon I'll likely never consider using.

aegeryn fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 30, 2012

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Oh man, I thought I was ready to start my DLC adventures, but the Guardian just ruined me at SL53. I can't even think about trying to get his tail if I'm going to try to do this by myself, so I guess I'll try again later and hope to see some signs on the ground.

On the plus side I don't feel frustrated he's beating me. I already have most of his moves memorised it's just the speed of the fight overwhelms me.

The Greatshield of Artorias absolutely trivialized this fight for me, if you're running a strength build. If not, uhh, good luck, I don't know what you'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

potaties posted:

Wondering the same thing. Also sort of curious what's up with the Chained Prisoner enemy. There's only one of him in the entire DLC, which is sorta weird. Is he supposed to be there strictly as a mini-boss, or is there more to him? He dropped Leather Gauntlets for me. :confused:

I got some random chainmail pieces off him. Weird.

Wish I could remember where I found the Help Me carving. I think it might have been after the floor dropped out from under me while I had my lantern out and was putzing around.

• Locked thread