Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really dislike this trailer. It's edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.
Yeah its a little amateurish, I think it really nails Dark Souls' oppressive gothic horror vibe though. Also that half second clip of Pinwheel is probably the greatest part of the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, you can make your well-informed prorun on your second playthrough (you will have a second playthrough). Don't worry about asking questions about specific gameplay mechanics, they're intentionally left vague to encourage people to discuss the game. Just don't let yourself get spoiled on content.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

For those new to Dark Souls make sure you grind wheelie skeletons for hours so you can get two of their shields and dual-wield them. Only then does Dark Souls truly start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBG75iGqHbI
Vroom vroom

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also cancelling your preorder because a day -1 pirated copy has performance issues is loving ridiculous. Hey guys, why can't I get on the boat crow??

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cat doter posted:

Considering people were hacking their saves on the xbox version, it seems whatever microsoft does to 'protect' the saves is minimal at best. I'd be curious to try it out though.
GFWL actually has stronger cheat protection than the 360, because they wrongly assume that platform is locked down. Of course, its still not fool proof.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Depends on whether or not the PC version is expecting a 360 controller using xinput, or whether it will accept any old controller. We'll see in five minutes.
Its a GFWL game, its required to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Defghanistan posted:

How has nobody asked this? Do we know if they've fixed the pathing issues in the forest that cause the uber soul NPC's to run themselves off the cliff and thus soul farm at an unreasonably fast rate?

If not that is definitely what I'll be doing!
Who's to say that wasn't intentional?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Make sure you click the enable button to switch to the xinput profile.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

OxMan posted:

Please, please someone, is there anything I can do to get this game to run with a PS2 controller? I tried motioninjoy and it doesn't work 'cause it's a PS2 controller, and dark souls doesn't recognize anything by default other than button 1 and the Dpad.
Xbox 360 Controller Emulator

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I don't understand what this means.
Dark Wood Grain Ring. You need to be under 25% encumbrance to get the most out of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The flip has more invulnerability frames than the regular roll, and less recovery, IIRC.

Sheep posted:

Is it not possible to get that drake sword from the dragon at the bridge now? I shot 100 arrows at his face and nothing.
You need to shoot the tail:ssh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So this game doesn't have any strange autofail things right?
There are tons of missables, but nothing that will straight up prevent you from completing the game. Undead souls are fine, but never eat a boss or firekeeper soul. And (kinda big spoiler)all the NPCs have individual story arcs with multiple extremely depressing failure states if you don't help them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure that won't gently caress anything up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

How did you even manage that? I've spent entire days invading people and only managed to get a point or two every couple of hours, at best. Even when I'm having a good day and winning a lot.
That's the Servants of Chaos roster, not the Book of the Guilty. You just have to sacrifice humanity to the Fair Lady in Queelag's Domain.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rashaverak posted:

Ok, what is a catalyst and how do I get one so I can cast a spell? I started as a sorceror, but all I have is this sword hilt, and I'm supposed to defeat the first boss with this?
No, you're not. I'm assuming you're using the reshack, or else you'd have read the message that tells you to run away.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

What the deal with the Leaderboard stuff in this game? Only one of your characters at a time can be on it or something?
Right. It doesn't really impact anything, you can just choose which character appears in the Servant Roster and the Book of the Guilty.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The drake sword is basically the newbie crutch weapon. It does crazy damage upfront but is quickly overtaken by elemental or scaling weapons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And in the Depths, the ash statues are reminders left by other players who've died a particularly painful death. I just love the thematic consistency of all the multiplayer stuff in this game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Additionally, you should be able to hear other players actually fighting bosses when you are standing right outside the fog doors.
Oh also kinda related to this, sometimes bosses will try to attack player ghosts. It is so loving unbelievable and amazing when it happens, and its so rare you might never see it twice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

^ How did you get to Firelink in the first place? Go lay down in the crow's nest.

NihilCredo posted:

Dark Souls, again, is utterly broken here since the lock-on system will spaz out randomly between various targets unless you keep your mouse perfectly still :ughh: The only consolation is that lock-on doesn't seem as necessary as it is in other games, and should actually be actively avoided for certain maneuvers, but I'm just using melee for now and maybe ranged combat will force the issue.
Not defending this, but if you're curious the logic here is that you can flick the right stick in the direction of the enemy you want to target. Works great on controllers. Unfortunately they mapped the mouse to the right stick controls, and mice just don't work that way.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 25, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cactus posted:

have been putting points into resistance
Don't put points in resistance.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Azraden posted:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, what did I do? I was just smacking him with my sword and that happened.
There's a huge hole in the floor somewhere around there, if you move just so you'll lure him into it and he'll die instantly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I doubt stuff like this will last long though.

Dark Souls wouldn't be a very long, or fun experience without it's crazy difficulty levels. Cheating your way through the game would turn it from a 34-40 hour long slow burn to a 5-8 hour annoyance as you just instakilled everything.
The 360 and PS3 versions still have a not-insignificant population of cheaters, and this is almost 1 year after release. Cheating in the PC version is far easier and far more disruptive, so I can only imagine it will be far worse.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

What's the deal with the area behind the dragon? I saw a statue I couldn't do anything with and a shortcut to an area that was already easy to reach, is the broken statue or whatever covenant or quest related?
Yes. If you meet the requirements, that's where you can join the Warriors of Sunlight and become a genuine sunbro. Its also where you spend sunlight medals to increase in sunbro rank.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I noticed that, where do you even get a dragon scale in order to upgrade the drake sword? That sounds prohibitive.
Dragon scales are an end-game covenant item, and the second rarest crafting material in the game. You primarily get them by becoming a preop dragon person and dueling over them with other transspecies lizardmen in PvP. Its really a huge loving joke that the worst, most short-sighted, weapon in the game uses them to upgrade.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Batham posted:

Devil May Cry 4 is what I'd consider a 2.5D game.
You sure have one incredibly arbitrary definition of 2.5D games. Get a controller.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for suckin' humanity with that covenant item? I'm sure I could get much better results just killing people, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.
Hope you find someone who's AFK and just keep on sucking. Bonus points if they have that infinite humanity trainer.

Doing it on a player who is actually awake and semi-competent is way trickier. You'll have to catch them while they're unaware, or knock them down and try to meaty it out of them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WALLGOD posted:

So I'm playing through and want to get some coop going on. Where's a good place to get summoned at level 55? I'm about to finish blighttown, I think, if that helps.
You're a little overleveled. I don't think you're going to have much luck getting summoned for another couple areas.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

So basically, there's no real reason to not pvp right? If I've got a whole bunch of souls and humanity saved up, it won't hurt me to pvp?
The worst thing that'll happen is you might get indicted and have to deal with some spirits of vengeance once in awhile. The guilty pay the price, etc, etc. There's really no reason to not play multiplayer, its a ton of fun and the rewards can be pretty decent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

What's a great place to farm for souls again? I'm at 60 or so, I can't get summoned for O&S, ever (even though I'm a sunbro), and I tried to dry finger at the Forest but I kept getting two losers who couldn't hurt me and only gave me 3k each.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVB4sL4Sxg
10-15k souls a minute once you get your route down.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Those are player phantoms, go human and you should see summon signs all over the place, especially near boss doors/bonfires.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 30, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ellbent posted:

New to the game, I'm only around level twenty-something and I'm sort of dragging my heels and grinding around the Parish area. Anyway, I get invaded every once in a while. Now, I'm to understand they can only be so much higher level than me -- if I'm not going toe to toe with some chump five times my level, why is it that a strike from my bastard sword just whittles a tiny sliver off their health bar but so much as a nick from their weird bleed-all-over-the-place blade chops off half of mine?
A fun thing to do after your first playthrough is grab the master key and sequence break your way to all the best hidden equipment in the game, then go to Undead Burg/Parish and invade new players. You're a victim right now, but one day you can be the twinked out rear end in a top hat!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ellbent posted:

I'd just like to be invaded once or twice and actually experience an interesting and suspenseful session of mano-a-mano combat rather than find myself being puréed by a dual-wielding prick in tattered (yet impenetrable) robes.

That's, uh. That's not going to happen, is it.
Definitely not in the Parish, and probably not until you gear up some yourself.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

What I wonder is how anyone is supposed to figure this out. What a loving terrible boss. That and everything below is the reason the game isn't a perfect 10.
Oh god this big loving flaming monster is angry that I stole from his sister's grave, I better run the gently caress away!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh yeah I'm not denying that its a lovely boss, I'm just saying its not too crazy to accidentally figure out his secret.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there a summon for sif? I'm scared to go into darkroot as a human because of the unlimited level limit for invasions.
You might find player summon signs by the crest door, but more often than not they're more interested in farming forest hunters than fighting the boss. That's something you're just better off soloing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Holy Cheese posted:

I'm such a child, just realised you can leave messages that just contain the words: need head.

:laugh:

I apologise in advance.
You are going to love Anor Londo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Which pyromancer robes, the gold-hemmed ones? Those are in Izalith.

Attention Horse posted:

This game is way easier than I thought. I even cleared out few areas without dying once. And I'm not bragging here, I just think that people who say that this is the hardest game they ever played are nuts. I thought Dark Souls will kick my rear end, but it's going ok so far (I'm fighting Four Kings right now). You just need to take a :chillpill: and you're gonna be fine :).
Dark Souls is a challenging game for sure, but most of that "oh my god hardest game ever" bullshit is from people who are bad at the game and refuse to get better. You wouldn't believe how many people beat their head against the Firelink graveyard for hours under the mistaken impression that this is some kind of horribly unfair sadistic playerhating nongame.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I thought chaos storm was bugged to not scale with humanity. Was that patched, or is there something else to make it worthwhile? As I see it now, it's just a regular firestorm that takes two attunement slots.
The initial attack of the chaos spells is identical to the normal versions, its the lava pools they leave behind that has damage that scales with humanity. I can't remember if it was actually bugged or not, but if it was, it would have been something they fixed back in 1.05 last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

And this is happening with a gamepad? Because after well over a hundred hours with the 360 controller I've never noticed any sort of control glitches except for the weird lock-on behavior, although to be fair the lock-on is still literally 100x better than Demon's Souls.
The weird buffering bug is absolutely a thing, its been there since the original console release and they just never managed to patch it out for some reason. Pretty rare in my experience, but its the most infuriating thing when you die because your attack got buffered for a split second.

• Locked thread