Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I finally decided to try out this game and it's pretty fun so far. Is there any way to fix the stuttering camera though? Because it's almost bad enough to make me drop the game by itself. Actually strains my eyes, and can make combat too disorienting when there's lots of movement. I dunno if the mouse fix is supposed to help that (I haven't actually tried playing without the fix) but any amount of tinkering with its options or my mouse sensitivity has done jack poo poo, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

How open are you to getting a controller to play? Because kb+m controls for Dark Souls is horrible and no one should have to put themselves through them.

I don't mind the actual controls, just the camera movements. And I don't really want to bother buying a controller because I don't really play many games that could use controllers, mostly strategy games and old-fashioned RPGs. Besides, I never got used to playing with sticks anyway. I've barely played console games since the SNES.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "stuttering" (although i might just be used to it), have you turned on SSAO and motion blur so the game runs a low fps but blends stuff together (gave me some headaches early on)? Also the ingame and dsmfix.ini sensitivity definitely has an effect for me, so you might have typod something in the dll chain (where you put the dsmfix.dll into the dsfix.ini).

Also turn off "camera auto wall recovery" off while you're at it, it's awful and will kill you and it's on by default for some terrible reason.

e: posting from my phone cut of the last half of your post, disregard my edit

By stuttering I mean that if I move the mouse slightly, the camera does its best emulation of running Crysis on a Mac from 1995, while as long as I hold it still or make large movements, the visuals are as smooth as a baby's bottom. Googling it told me it's apparently a Thing from porting over to PC, but hasn't given me much advice on how to help it except tinkering with mouse sensitivity (someone recommended turning it way down on my PC and way up in dsmfix, hence my comment regarding that), which hasn't done anything with it for me. I'll try changing some graphical stuff around more I guess. As for the dsmfix sensitivity, I meant it doesn't affect the camera stuttering for me - raising/lowering the sensitivity in dsmfix.ini definitely impacts the mouse sensitivity, so it's being picked up by dsfix.ini.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Holy poo poo I just one-shot O&S my first ever time seeing the fight, unspoiled (besides 'they're tough') and with no help. This is the first time I've actually felt p. good at this game to be honest. And man does it give you an adrenaline rush!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I decided to try a Faith character for once on a whim, and join sunbros so I could get my lightning spears. Now that I've joined I can't get any summons going :saddowns: I mean I wasn't getting tons before either but I was still getting quite a bit more than now, even last night at 2:30 AM. Since joining I've only been summoned once in an hour of staying tabbed out and browsing poo poo even though this should be pretty much prime time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, either DS EU is dead as gently caress, or I'm having connection troubles. Yesterday I could barely get summoned (about 15 times in 8 hours for O&S) to earn my Sunlight Medals, today I've spent hours and hours in various places in Anor Londo with the Blue Eye Orb and Darkmoon ring and haven't been able to invade even a single time. Thing is, it felt decent before I decided to actually try PvPing - when I was human I'd get invaded decently much, there were always several summon-signs near bosses and bonfires, etc. But now that I'm trying to participate I can't get anything going and it's really loving boring.

I guess I could do Darkwraiths for more consistency but I want to grab Darkmoon blade and I don't want to do New Londo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I didn't watch the video but I'm 100% agreed that Lifegems, specifically being able to buy them at-will, being probably the part I like the least about DS2.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Naaah, it's not very tough to heal in fights in DS2 especially with gems since you can still move using them. But personally I'd far prefer a Souls game that's designed around a very limited amount of healing items - even less than DS1/BB ideally, the 12 Estus of DS2 without gems would be nice - and managing resources with paths between bonfires meticulously tuned with that restriction in mind for the player. Though I admit that would be tough to balance. At any rate, DS2 is certainly the furthest away from that kind of design even though none of them really hit it, so lifegems are not to my tastes at all.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I did OnS fine with Zweihander in my last run, though I think I might have had it at +13 or something at the time. A tip for using it (spoiler in case you just want to know it's doable): Zweihander's 2H strong attack will stagger both of them. I dunno the intricacies of stagger mechanics though so I dunno if you need it upgraded to at least X or something before it staggers then, but you can certainly try it easily to test. Anyway, you can at least stunlock super-Smough from 100 to 0 without an issue, and you should not need more than 4, maaaaybe 5 of these attacks to kill Ornstein in phase 1 either. If you want to kill them in the other order it gets trickier but the stagger is still useful.

And running around is super useful. Most of the time Smough's shovel is short and will never get near to catching up, and using the pillars it certainly should be easy to keep him away. Just gotta be patient waiting for the time to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

Today I finally died to Capra once after always oneshotting it before. My spell of being not poo poo at this one boss people tend to complain about has broken.

My first playthrough I died something like 40 times to capra before I got the kill :negative:

On the other hand I beat OnS my first try, blind, with no summons at all. The first and last time I was Good At Dark Souls.

• Locked thread