Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Just got into this game after picking it up in the Steam winter sale. I watched a fair bit of Geop's LP so I know a few things about what's coming up. I've just reached the undead parish but I skipped the rock dude in the basement I opened with the master key cos I got wrecked after running into him while at low health and assumed I wasn't meant to take him on yet.

Is it worth me heading back and trying to fight him or should I press on and fight him when I'm a bit stronger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Backstabbing is key too.

I did find that his reward was really great since I am playing as a knight and my most crippling weakness is the weight of my armor (spoilered, because of hint to reward)

Yeah I know what the reward is (like I said I watched Geop's LP and he used that ring loads) and I'm a Knight which is why I'm quite keen to get it. I think I'll go with the thread and come back later though, I've pumped some stamina so I'm below half encumbrance with only replacing 1 part of the Knight starting armour with something weaker.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

NotInventedHere posted:

I'm going to disagree and encourage you to kick his rear end. His attacks are really slow and telegraphed, so you should be able to avoid them without too much trouble when you learn what to look for. With a good stability shield, you should be able to shield-tank the occasional hit without dying if you make a mistake. Then, it's just a matter of back-stabbing him until he dies. Be patient and don't get greedy, and you should be able to take him apart. Learning to evade and back-stab well will also be pretty helpful for the rest of the game. I'll also say that defeating him early on feels great.

Still, a few weapon upgrades would probably be a good idea if you haven't gotten any yet.

Yeah I reckon if I went back I could beat him, but I'm probably just going to press ahead for now since I don't massively feel like sitting there and plinking away with my puny +1 rapier for 10+ minutes when I could go wreck face in the parish instead.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Followup on the questions I was asking before. I pressed on to the gargoyles (gently caress those guys it took ages) and then went back and kicked Havel's rear end no problem. Solaire also helpfully got me the tail axe from the Gargoyles which I'm now rocking and it rules so much :)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Took out Gaping Dragon last night. I have to say, for such a badass looking boss I think he was one of the dullest boss encounters I've experienced so far in the game. I spent most of my time waiting for him to charge forward so I could hit him in the butt a few times and rinse repeat for about 10mins.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Yeah I thought he might have a tail weapon so I was wailing away at it with my axe as much as possible but it never came off sadly :(

quote:

The Gaping Dragon's tail does not come right off where it meets its back, you have to hit it further up where you can see it being segmented.

That'll be it then. Oh well I'm so in love with my gargoyle tail axe that it hardly matters. Would be nice to have a butt-weapon collection going though.

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 16, 2014

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

As a first time player who's played up to Blightown so far, I've killed most bosses in 1-2 attempts. The only exception was the Gargoyles, I found them far far far more challenging than the Capra demon. Took me about 8 attempts and I couldn't even get close to winning without blowing extra humanities to unhollow and bring along SunBro.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

NaDy posted:

You guys must hear this a lot but after getting this game in the sales I finally beat Capra Demon today and it feels good. I tried for a good few hours yesterday and got annoyed that he was just wrecking my poo poo.

I came back to it today, spent a while farming souls and upgraded my axe, managed to kill that Titanite Demon near the blacksmith and thought wow, if I'm patient and learn their attacks it's actually doable.

A few tries at the Capra Demon later and he went down fairly easy. Phew.

I'm about to go into the depths now (I think?) so if you've got any tips, they'd definitely come in handy.

Keep watching the skies.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I'm in the middle of my first run through (just finished Sen's fortress) and I've got a Black Knight halberd sitting in my inventory from ages ago. Right now I'm sitting at roughly equal Str and Dex. How worth my time would it be to pump some strength so I can use the Halberd? A lot of people seem to talk like it's a really good weapon.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

So I killed the Fire Keeper murderer in Anor Londo (by cheesing it horribly using the stairways) and got his ring. I'm unsure about equipping it right now though. is there any reason to hold off or should I just go for it? Right now I'm basically permanently using Havel's ring on one finger and varying the other finger (normally either steel protection or covetous serpant)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I'm getting a bit bored of using my elite knight armour. What are other good medium armours I could try? I have Eastern, Favour and Silver Knight sets on me right now.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Lore question. Kingseeker Frampt wants you to go with the rekindle ending whereas Kaathe is pushing you towards the dark lord ending correct? So how come the dark lord ending cutscene has both Kaathe AND Frampt bowing to you. Is Frampt just taking the winning side? The motivations of the serpent dudes don't seem to make a lot of sense.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Finally kicked Artorias' butt after about 20 attempts. I decided early on the blocking didn't seem too good so I went light armour wood grain ring ninja flip out mode with Grass Crest shield and a claymore. The fight basically devolved into both of us flipping all over the arena like some sort of interpretive dance show.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Was doing some Sunbroing tonight and since I was in Anor londo to grab some stuff I'd missed I threw down my summon sign even though I thought I'd be too high a level (71). However I did get summoned just in time to see the summoner fighting a Dark Phantom. The summoner seemed fairly new and the Phantom was clearly experienced, he had sorceries from the DLC area. However I was able to charge in and backstab the hosed dead in 1shot. My only PVP experience so far was being ganked once in Oolacile so saving this dude felt really good! I helped him kill the Titanited demon but sadly he died to a Silver Knight on some stairs just after :( I wanted to get you through O+S buddy!

Edit: Is there any way to be alt tabbed out of the game while waiting to be summoned and know when to tab back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Beat the game a while back as a strength based character. Starting again as a sorcerer with some focus in Dex as well. What level does my strength need to be at to use all the good Dex weapons?

• Locked thread