Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Preordered because of the ongoing LP, and I've been trying really hard to stay away from too many spoilers. I'm excited to die when it's finally released!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Just started, now in the Undead Burg! This is my first time playing, so I thought I could defeat the first Black Knight.

That didn't go as well as I was hoping it would.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

YES! I just beat the Taurus Demon! After 3 tries, and 2 uses of the lightning resin, the bastard's dead!

Quick question though, I ran across the bridge the dragon fires on, and there's a bonfire and a wrecked statue. I thought I could get the Praise the Sun gesture from it, but there's no prompt or anything. Am I missing something? I just want to be more like Solaire.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

You need to help a few people beat bosses with the white soapstone Solaire gives you

Aha, gotcha. Do I need to beat the boss first? Also, I'm not very good at this game, so if I die before the bosses are done, would it still count?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

So after Solaire trivialized the Gargoyle fight for me, I'm thinking of helping folks with it. I had a lot of trouble summoning folks for my fight (hence just going with Sunbro), should I expect to wait around for a while? Or can I lay the sign, and then run off to farm Balder knight souls or something?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

You can totally farm the Baldur Knights and others, but if you leave the Parish area (for example to go back to Andre's bonfir, or to Firelink) then your sign will disappear until you place it again.

Uhhh, it may be premature, because when I restarted the game the load game option was gone :stare:. The only thing different I think I did was change the name of my gamertag on GFWL.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Savegames are stored in some folder named after your gamertag. Change your GFWL name back, or just go into the files and change the name of that folder to your new name.

Phew, thank you. I was worried there. Well, if anyone wants a lvl 24 knight to help them with the Gargoyles, I am willing to fall off the roof for you!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Man, does anyone have recommendations on how to beat Havel? That, or which bonfire should I start from, because he's a little awkward to get to from the main Undead Burg one (the one with the ladder). So far my tactic has been to take off my knight's pants so I get the faster roll, and then pyromancy him with combustion on a +5 glove, but drat my eyes one loving hit and I'm down. I WANT HIS SOUL.

Also, what's the use of the Moonlight Butterfly's soul? I don't want to just use it for souls, but is it useful for a strength guy?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I beat the miniboss near the forge guy but I'm scared of the boss of the area behind it. :ohdear:
I'm still running around in leather armor, when should I actually upgrade to a different set? should I upgrade evrything to +5 before moving on?

Also playing with a 2handed sword now. I can't block physical damage fully anymore, but it feels a lot more effective still at killing things.

I just beat the guy. It was pretty close at the end, but when I switched from using my claymore to firebombs, that last 1/3 of its HP disappeared pretty quick.

quote:

Havel advice
Thanks folks. Can I backstab with a claymore? The light attack is a big swing, and the only time I got backstabs on other enemies was with my broadsword.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Havel is dead, praise the sun! Thanks for the advice, backstabs worked perfectly on him. Now it's off to the depths so I can get poisoned! (Oh God how do I increase my poison resist)

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

So after not getting any bites on the gargoyles last night, I'm hoping to help people with the Gaping Dragon. Is 30 too high for it?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Alright, well I've put my sign down by the bonfire in the depths, so if anyone needs some help with the Gaping Dragon hit up FriarRJohn.
Edit: I'm SL 30, if that makes any difference.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Anyone be up for some Jolly Cooperation in about an hour? Heading home from work, and want to coop my way through the Depths/Dragon/Blighttown if possible.

I'm around SL24/26, and a member of WotW, so shouldn't be to hard to join me.

Sure, I'll have my sign (FriarRJohn) at the Depths bonfire.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Man, a lot of Knight Shield/Drake Sword combos in the Depths. One of my hosts even bought a crystal shield before the dragon, but we beat it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Rookersh posted:

gently caress yooooou Gaping Dragon.

I have a +4 Winged Spear, a nice set of armor, and Solaire and Lautrec, why are you murdering them so quickly, why are they not casting awesome spears of death at you like they did the Gargoyles, and why am I only hitting you for 18 damage with my nice spear and 24 Strength.

I'm still at the bonfire! I've been getting summoned a decent amount though. Send me a message when you want my help!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Yes! I am now a warrior of sunlight! Is it worth it to put the 9 levels into faith to be able to use it, or should I stick with the pyromancy, and just feel good about sunbroing it up?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Whatever you want! It's a good spell, but the question is do you think you'll also want to use other Mircales in the future as well? With more attunement slots, you can compliment the lightning spear with other nice stuff like Heal. And some of the miracles later in the game are very good, if you're willing to invest even further in faith.

Or you can just ignore faith and do other stuff. Both plans work very well.

Argh so many choices! After the utter windfall of souls I got helping folks with the Depths, I upgraded my flame from +5 to +15, so I think for now I'll just stick with that. I can still praise the sun!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Lautrec... :(

That's enough Dark Souls for me today. But if anyone's got some tips on what I should do on the swampy bottom of Blighttown, please give me what advice you think is necessary.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Phew-ee, Sen's fortress got a little hairy right before I found the bonfire. If anyone wants a sunbro to help with the boss, FriarRJohn (SL: 38) will be at the top of the tower.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Err, where should I look for summon signs for help with Priscilla? She one-shots me with that scythe of hers. Or does anyone in the thread mind helping me? I'm in the upper 40's in my SL.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

hcenvirons posted:

Just before Blight Town Boss there's a random NPC in all black robes in the swamps. I kind of murdered him because, hey, he's wearing terrifying looking robes and just chilling there. Does he do something incredibly important?

She, actually. Unless there's another vendor, you lost out on advanced pyromancies.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

OK, now I definitely need to send out an SOS. If you wish to help some poor bastard defeat Priscilla and get out of the Painted World of Ariamis, I need your help! SL: 49, if that makes any difference.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I've not gone to the Painted World on PC just yet, but I've got the doll. Hang around the bonfire for a few, I'll load up the game and head out there.

Thank you so much. Who should I be looking for?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Eastern Armor, falchion, crest shield. White sign.

I tried summoning you, but failed twice so far. I'll keep trying.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks, Shima. I really appreciate the help!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Huhbluh. bluh.

Ornstein & Smough can run a train, that's for sure. If anyone wants to lay a summon sign down by the first bonfire in Anor Londo, I'd appreciate the help.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

What's your soul level?

54. Not much more than last night.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Had my first real taste of PVP today, when I got invaded in the forest. I defeated the first two at the same time (that made me cheer!), but the 3rd guy got me when I didn't have anymore Great Combustions to throw at his face. Fun!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Just started the DLC stuff, had a tough time with the Guardian but took him down after a few tries. Is upper 50's an acceptable level?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Man, I didn't have any trouble with those archers when I ran through Anor Londo myself the first time, but when I sunbroed there was always something that went wrong.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

gently caress Artorias. loving fucker who blows through my shield that can withstand drat near anything else, laughs off my +15 great combustions like nothing, and then has the bullshit temerity to CHARGE UP like a GODDAMN SUPER SAIYAN just so he can one-shot me and ARGH.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

After getting murdered enough times by (do I need to spoil this now?)Artorias he's finally dead, and I'm planning on running a sunbro train on him all night long until I am satisfied.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Where should I look for summon signs for Kalameet? I'm hoping to get his tail, and it looks easier with other folks to help (he says after just having done so with someone else).

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Veev posted:

Right next to his door, in that valley area. The one's on the plateau above are probably just looking to help with Artorias.

Gotcha, I'll wait around until some show up then.

Edit: Will I need to go through the fog door for the signs to show up?

Friar John fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 31, 2012

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Someone mind helping me get the dragon tail in the DLC? The bastard's been giving me a bitch of a time. SL:66

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Anyone want to help me murder Kalameet? I've got the tail, just having trouble getting hits in by myself. SL: 67

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Arujei posted:

Anyone want to help me murder Kalameet? I've got the tail, just having trouble getting hits in by myself. SL: 67

Anybody? I haven't even seen a single summon sign from anyone outside the fog door so far.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still have not seen anyone from this thread as far as I know. I must be on the non-SA server?

I've summoned help from SA folks before, and just two days ago there were plenty of signs outside the gate, but tonight there's just nothing except messages.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

Kalameet seems very hit or miss. I've occasionally seen signs there when I was waiting for help with the tail, but usually it's empty. It's a fun place to farm invaders though because they never look there, and usually end up falling off a cliff somewhere.

I'd just rather not fight him myself again and waste this humanity I've used. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Stokes posted:

For the longest time I was under the impression that once you've beaten the boss of an area it was no longer possible to invade someone there, but I guess that's wrong? Because I invaded someone in Darkroot Garden after beating Sif. I guess it only matters if the host hasn't beaten the boss yet?

Exactly, it only matters for the host.

• Locked thread