Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
If you haven't played this game before, absolutely do not read anything about this game. Play through blind and experiment until you get it right. Savor that first playthrough, because part of the magic is lost when you know what's going on.

E: this is one of my top 3 games of all time. Do not sleep on it if you are at all interested

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Anyone know if there's going to be a demo release anytime soon?

I'm interested in this game but with its brutally hard reputation I don't want to buy something I'm gonna get frustrated with and hate because I'm a scrub.

Saying that Dark Souls is hard isn't really a proper description. The actual gameplay itself is rather easy, the difficulty comes from the fact that things can kill you quickly if you let your guard down. You can make the entire game a cakewalk by using a strong shield and always blocking. You can summon allies for any boss which makes them incredibly easy. You can more or less tailor the difficulty to your liking by choosing how to spend your souls.

Most people who are like "drat this game is hard as balls!" are in the wrong area at the wrong time, which is part of Dark Souls.

Edit: ^^^ You need liquid humanity, use your Humanities to get it.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Firekeeper Souls can be either used for lots of souls (DON'T EVER DO THIS) or taken to a living firekeeper NPC for a very special upgrade.

They actually patched out the ability to use Firekeeper Souls a long time ago on consoles, I assume this carried over to the PC version.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I'm noticing some funky hit detection stuff that seems new to the PC, but maybe I just never noticed it. For example, if you press block right as an enemy casts Force, you block the spell and take no stamina damage. Did that work on PS3/360?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Once you play through the game once or twice, the game stops killing you. For the most part, anyway :twisted:

There are also some good spots to farm humanity. Rats in the Depths will get you quite a few early on, and then towards the end of the game you can farm small skeletons in Catacombs or Pisacas in Duke's Archives and get 99 in about an hour (assuming drop rates are the same on PC).

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 25, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

That Gobbo posted:

It seems like it always takes me about 5-10 minutes of using the red eye orbs until I finally invade someone in Upper Blighttown and then get invasions every time after it starts working, I have the same concern as you. Is there just nobody here or is the online not working or am I not connecting?

Upper Blighttown has always been hard to invade, because it's a very threatening and long area that experienced players tend to skip. People rarely go through there in Human form.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Is there a way to rebind gamepad buttons? I'm not used to 360 controllers and having L1/R1 on LB/RB instead of LT/RT is really throwing me off. I tried to rebind in the options menu but it will only allow keyboard/mouse input on that screen.

e: I still can't figure out what it is but combat just feels really weird on PC. The mechanics aren't a carbon copy of the console version. There was a Hallow Warrior in the middle of an attack animation (not blocking), and I hit him with a two-handed spear R2, the attack did 8 damage, failed to interrupt his swing, and bounced off as if he was blocking. I've been able to block some spells by pressing L1 right as the cast goes off, at which point I take 0 damage (regardless of shield) and minor stamina damage. I've also had enemies fully interrupt my attack animation but still take damage from it. I don't know if I just never noticed this stuff on PS3 but it's really frustrating.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 27, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Brackhar posted:

Man, just not feeling my dex build yet. It seems so lackluster compared to a strength build.

Dex pairs very well with Sorcery. Dex increases cast speed, and Dex weapons tend to hit fast. Weapon buffs add a set amount of damage to your attacks, so faster attacks = more damage from buffs.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Abalieno posted:

So what's the expected playtime for finishing the game the first time, all DLC included?

My very first playthrough took around 40-50 hours, I'd estimate another ~10+ for the DLC if it's your first time through. It varies though, you can beat the entire game in 2-3 hours. Most of the playtime in your first playthrough comes from exploring and trying to find your way.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Pochoclo posted:

PS how do I cast? I keep pressing R but nothing happens. I already rested at a bonfire, too. I have a fireball there.

You will need to equip a Pyromancer Flame and then do a weak attack (R1/RB or L1/LB on gamepads, not sure about keyboard) with the Pyromancer Flame.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Lord Yod posted:

Just rang the second bell. Is this a good spot to try and get summoned? I'm SL38 as I levelled too fast in the parish.

It's hard to say on PC because people don't seem to be following the general level guidelines in the same way that they did on consoles. You can probably get a few hits at Quelaag, but your best bet would be Sen's Fortress (the next area) or leveling up to 40-45 and going to Anor Londo (the area after Sen's Fortress)

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Mindblast posted:

To stay ahead of the curve I've been eyeballing my inventory of weapons for any candidates to upgrade so I have something to switch to once the Drake Sword becomes obsolete, but I can't make up my mind.

I'm going for a strength build and recently gotten through the Depths. Any less than orthodox strength weapons to look forward to? Everything I have is of the plain(yet good) variety so far.

Make a Dragonbone Fist and uppercut everyone in to oblivion with your superior strength :hellyeah:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Did they move Solaire's summon sign for the Gargoyles? I talked to him and everything but his sign isn't up.

e: save and reload fixed it, duh.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 28, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Anti-Hero posted:

Goddammitt I was farming the Depths as SL35 for some large shards and I got cursed by those loving frogs for the first time and then died on the way back to my stain. I lost 35k in souls and 3 liquid humanity. gently caress! And then it took me about 15 minutes of tense farming to get the 6k needed for a curse stone.

If multiplayer is working for you, 35k souls and 3 liquid humanity is about 10 minutes of assisting at Quelaag.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

The Proper Gander posted:

I'm new to this game and I got lucky early on with a Black Knight's Greatsword drop off of the black knight who hangs out above the bridge drake. I then spent hours farming the poo poo out things until I could equip the bloody thing.

Now everything seems easy. I killed bell gargoyles on the 3rd try, capry demon on the 5th and open-toothy-guts dragon on the first crack.

I got a cool-looking helmet from the gargoyles too which the wiki says is rare too.

Is it common to get this gear or did I win the 1st-playthrough lottery?

The helmet is pretty common and you're practically guaranteed to get at least one, the sword is a little more rare. The thing about Black Knight weapons it that they can only be upgraded to +5, a +5 Black Knight weapon and a +15 regular weapon are comparable, and a +0 Black Knight weapon is roughly the equivalent of a +10 regular weapon.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

WayneCampbell posted:

First time playing a souls game and I will be playing solo. Can someone give me an exact build to shoot for this purpose? I tried playing as a knight and more or less randomly been distributing stats because I don't know what the gently caress.

There's no need for a set or specific build, but if you want a safe character for learning the ropes, getting Endurance to 40 should be the first thing you do after getting Str/Dex high enough to one-hand the weapon you want to use.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

The Quake posted:

Lost like 45k Souls and 11 Humanity to the Capra Demon because I thought I should take the route with the Dragon :downs:. I wasn't using any of it anyway, I didn't want to SL up anymore and I can't buy large titanite shards yet, all my stuff is upgraded as far as titanite shards can go.

The hell are you supposed to do in that situation? I guess all that balder farming got me bloated with souls.

If you ever have excess souls and don't know what to spend them on, buy consumables. Black firebombs, Lightning/Fire resins, Grass, Moss Clumps, etc. You can never have too much of that stuff.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Osmosisch posted:

This is just dumb. There are only 3 (three) things that need to be done for the kb/m interface to be perfectly fine:
- change the button popups so that they actually reflect the key/mouse button that should be pressed (wtf is this poo poo even)
- change it so that rotating the camera with mouselook doesn't automatically lock onto different enemies.
- allow mouse button rebinding

Every other aspect of the kb/m controls is perfectly fine. Nobody is complaining about the actual controls, they're complaining about the issues surrounding them.

Not quite, the game also has some weird reverse mouse acceleration thing. Fast movements turn the camera slowly, slow movements turn the camera quickly. That's the only thing preventing me from using KB+M in Dark Souls.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Edit: Wait, you can't run past Dragon Butts without them aggroing on PC? :wth:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
I'm fairly certain you can, as well. I know that you can parry Havel, and you can definitely parry Gwyn.

Edit: ^ Dragonbone Fist :hellyeah: What you put in your offhand doesn't matter because you're not going to use it outside of parrying, you could do a Dark Hand which works as an 80% (?) all damage shield.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Lord Yod posted:

Where's a good place to farm humanity?

The alternative to the baby skeletons mentioned above is Pisacas in Duke's Archives. It's slightly slower than baby skeletons, but you can get a very large amount of souls in the process. They're kind of annoying if you don't have some good magic, though.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

FrickenMoron posted:

I tried to get into blighttown via the back entrance from valley of drakes, but it seems I got stuck there. I got the soul and backed out, but it seems the game wants you to use the water wheels? are they safe to step on?

Yes, you can stand on the waterwheels. Here's a big tip for climbing out of blighttown: Just follow the torches and ignore the flies/spiders, it only takes about a minute to climb out

Reminalt posted:

It's garbage.

The Claymore is good and that's where it is.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 31, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Zero VGS posted:

I tossed all my junk weapons a while back, thinking they affected my speed, but it seems like that's only equipped stuff. Is there any place to sell crap or am I supposed to just toss things if my inventory is too big to manage? Any other way to recycle things? Do I even have a limited amount of inventory slots?

You can sell things later in the game, but the soul return is minimal. You have unlimited inventory slots and you can also buy a Bottomless Box which is an item storage system that can no longer be abused to transfer items to new characters. Don't worry about ditching your junk, you're only missing out on a couple hundred souls each.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Edit: misread

^^^ You can always be invaded in Dark Anor Londo as far as I know.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Does anyone know why R1/RB has rebound itself to Start on my 360 pad? I have to press start to enter the menu, then start again to leave the menu in order to do a weak attack with my right hand. RB does nothing.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Volt Catfish posted:

Dark Souls hosed up binding your controller, somehow. It usually doesn't do that with straight 360 pads.

Yeah it's actually a third-party pad. It was working fine for a long time and then suddenly it decided to rebind things. I was able to use x360ce to fix the problem.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

sicarius posted:

Alright - so I just started, or at least I feel like I did. I'm SL 19 or 20. Started as a Knight and I've focused mostly on Endurance, Strength, and Vitality. I've "finished" Undead Burg I think - taken down the boss and located the entrance to Undead Parish.

I back tracked and grabbed the Astoria Sword and Shield. Now I feel kinda stuck. Parish is a BIT too hard at the moment and I think it may be the fact that all of my gear is the default stuff except the shield (I can't use the sword yet).

Any tips of suggestions? I could probably soldier through Parish, but it seems pretty rough as I have yet to reach the first Bonfire. I usually end up getting poisoned by rats which wastes my flasks and I can't find anything to cure poison.

Parish is where you need to head. This is where the real Dark Souls starts and there is a bump in difficulty, you'll be able to upgrade your gear towards the end of Parish.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

sicarius posted:

Alright - just wanted to make sure. Is there any way at all to deal with poison right now? I drat near got past the rats once without getting poisoned but since they poison past my shield it got me on the last hit. I would try dodging, but being a slow fat knight means the rats are faster than me.

You can get things to deal with poison later on. There are only three rats down there, you can always remove some armor to get faster dodgerolls, taking off your chestpiece should be enough. If you're having trouble with them, go buy a spear from the merchant in the Burg, it has great range and can poke from behind a shield. You could also buy a few firebombs from him if you don't have the stats to equip the spear.

E: Alternative option is to trick the dragon in to landing on the bridge then run between his legs to get to the Parish bonfire, this lets you skip the rats entirely.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 4, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

misterdoo01 posted:

If you're under the bridge at the moment, grab a bow with some arrows (at least 20 of the cheap ones) and shoot at the dragon's tail for awhile for a prize. I'm just about to do the depths and I'm still rockin' that item.

They've increased the dragon tail's health, if you haven't been leveling Dex expect this to take around 200-250 arrows. I've always found that the amount of time it takes to shoot the dragon's tail off is longer than the time it takes to just fight your way to Andre and upgrade a weapon to +5

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

This is wrong by the way.

Bottom level dex with the bow you buy and normal arrows will take about 35-50 shots max.

You were probably missing.

I haven't actually done it on PC, maybe they re-nerfed it, but on PS3 on my first playthrough it took me about 220 direct hits with the cheapest arrows and a +0 Longbow with a Pyromancer start. That's the only time I've even bothered getting that sword though, it's not very good beyond the Parish, and you can breeze through Parish with just two resins and a weak weapon.

e: ok, if it's back down to like 20-30 arrows it's probably worth grabbing on your first playthrough.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 4, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
You're better off just upgrading another weapon that you like to +5 at the blacksmith next to the church. If you haven't found him yet, think of the church as a T, with the big slow knight being at the the spot where the top of the T and the vertical line meet. To the right is an exit from the church, exit through that door and keep going straight and you'll find the first Blacksmith.

A +5 weapon is slightly weaker than the Drake Sword (enemies will probably take 2-3 hits depending on the weapon), so you'll still have a decent challenge. You can also then upgrade it beyond +5 later on.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Yep, I know they don't revive. However, the Wiki states that "A Divine weapon is more effective against Skeletons and Darkwraith", so I thought it would be worthwhile.

Divine weapons do an additional 10% damage to dead targets, i.e. skeletons and darkwraiths. Occult weapons do an additional 10% damage to living targets, e.g. players.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

sector_corrector posted:

I've gotten the stupid headless demon at the bottom of Sen's down to a sliver of health around 5 times and then make some dumb mistake and he crushes me. I also feel like I could just drop down the hole a little bit further down and avoid him altogether, but I want to kill the fucker.

You mean the Titanite Demon in the tar? There are about five more of them down there :ssh:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Evfedu posted:

No yeah, I'm back-stabbing, get the animation and everything, it just does 29 damage to Havel.

To normal dudes it does 100+ but not him.

Havel is wearing Havel's Armor which is (afaik) the highest defense armor in the game. He reduces all damage by a shitload. Try using the Gold Pine Resin you can find in the Burg to add a little extra damage, but doing very little damage to Havel with an unupgraded weapon at low level is pretty standard - he's not "intended" to be fought until later on. If you want to kill him early, you should be able to dodge all of his attacks (his weapon is very heavily telegraphed). You can also cheese him with various tactics, such as poison.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

teh_Broseph posted:

I survived the DLC bosses better after 2H-ing the entire time and using the ninja ring. Once you dodge EVERYTHING instead of blocking, you're better off. Stand still, dodge, then do it again but start to bring your shield up when you do - I was noticing a very slight delay to the dodge animation. Not much, but enough that I died a few times from instinctively hitting L1 and trying to dodge. The extra frames of flexibility between not shielding and ninja flipping felt helpful since you have a huge enemy life bar and plenty of opportunities to gently caress up. It's the standard advice for everything Souls: "Having trouble there? Oh, all ya gotta do is just not get hit." Note: Applying the 'just don't get hit' philosophy to other games may break any and all difficulty with how much better you do.

After playing several hundred hours of Dark Souls, it really upsets me when I play a new game and there is no way to 100% avoid taking damage :mad:

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
e: Nevermind, I got this all sorted out.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Equester posted:

True. And besides, I only used it untill I could use the dark knight sword, I got from that first Dark knight that guards a ring. It's probably considered cheese, but I killed him by bombbarding him with firebombs. But meh, it's a game, who cares.

I cheesed my entire first playthrough by using a bow to pull every enemy to me instead of running up to them, it made the game piss easy :v: There were a few that I killed outright with the bow because they didn't move when shot. That's one of the things I've always really liked about this game, though - the difficulty can almost always be avoided by changing your tactics and I feel like it is one of very few games that truly offers tactical options that completely change the way the game plays out. I'll always laugh at people who quit the game because it's hard because the entire thing outside of a couple boss fights can be completely trivialized by holding down your block button and pulling enemies with a bow.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 18, 2013

• Locked thread