Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

The Gripper posted:

Apart from the HUD being slightly different scale than on consoles, it looks like it does on console. Motion and gameplay in the game is fluid, the resolution shouldn't have any impact on the game unless you're one of those people that can't play games that aren't pretty.

I think people are just upset that they aren't putting in the effort to take advantage of the extra power pcs have over consoles to make a decent looking game look absolutely fantastic. Especially considering lots of pc gamers, especially of this niche, are hardcore and probably have really good computers.

I've been following the LP and it looks like a fantastic game. However, considering that it's GFWL, which is pretty awful, and some of the worrisome limitations like upscaling from a lower resolution (which looks awful like in ArmA2) I'm going to wait to see what people have to say about it before making a decision to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well that guy has essentially my computer so it'll run fine. As for the other aspects of the game...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Here is a guy livestreaming, and he there is already a patch to up the resolution: http://www.twitch.tv/slayer . He just downloaded it and said that it looks much better.

edit: Beaten like the undead merchant, but the stream is good.

This guy's pretty good and it's fun to watch him play. I might get this despite the problems...

Also, why did they not let pc players get higher resolutions especially if it took someone like an hour to get the resolutions working fine?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I'm around the first belltower. I did not free the knight in Gold armor. Now he's at the first bonfire and angry at me. Did I make a mistake?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I'm almost to blighttown. I know the back and front entrance. I just defeated the gaping dragon and got the key and a lot of souls (relatively for the beginning game).

What should I spend my souls on. I'm still using what is basically starter gear + the sword and shield by the undead dragon (sword + 2). Should I continue upgrading the sword and what armor should I get? There's that merchant by the entrance of blighttown that's selling a set of armor.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Any advice for tomb of the giants? I have a skull lantern and it still blows and I hate it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Is there a decent place to farm souls at around level 66? I'm hanging around the Duke's Archives and just repeatedly killing those blue medusa things which are super easy to kill. I get around 11K souls per run and occasionally a humanity or two.

I want to get my pyro glove to +5 ascended asap and get some neat spells.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 6, 2012

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Lazy Programming posted:

Have you killed Sif? If not, then go to the forest as human.

I know of Sif but I don't wanna kill him :(.

sector_corrector posted:

I may have done something stupid, but it's working out in the short term. I upgraded my scimitar to +3 and now it's doing decent damage. I can kill hollowed warriors in two shots, where it was taking 3-4 before. Definite quality of life improvement, but I'm not sure how rare the upgrade shards are and if I should've waited.

Upgrade it +5 and then ascend it to +10. Do not make it a raw or a lightning weapon. Once you get a certain boss soul and get to the smith in Anor Londo, you can make a fantastic furysword which is very very nice and scales well with dex.

Question, did I just screw up the game by (lord vessel) falling into frampt's pit and then placing the lord vessel there? This is my first playthrough.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 6, 2012

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Lazy Programming posted:

Perfect, go into the forest in human form and some people will meet you to give you their souls.

If you are talking about npcs, I'm a catbro so nope...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Welp video is gone already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnscHV9n40

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Akuma posted:

Are you hitting the right one? You might need to hit it nearer the tip, too.

I don't think it matters that much. You just need to hit the middle tail. Have Seath stun himself by having him destroy the crystal. Then run back there and dual wield your weapon and wack him a few times. It should come off somewhat readily.

Also, turn off auto lock on should help a ton.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Dreggon posted:

Trying to drink when he's out of estus :allears:

using divine blessing and not doing a plunging attack on the taurus demon haha.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

fennesz posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised so many people have trouble with the Capra Demon. He telegraphs his attacks like crazy and the only curve balls he throws at you are when he chains attacks which don't hit too hard.

Maybe most people ignore the dogs and/or rely on shield blocking too much?

It's more the enclosed area. Capra demons are easy to kill but with the camera, dogs, and low stamina you are screwed if you don't know the layout and how to abuse the stairs.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
noooo Laurentius why are you attacking me in blighttown?!!?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yes certainly, some of the inspiration... :v:

Genocyber posted:

gently caress, I really need to get around to watching and reading Berserk.

You really want to just read the manga. The movies are too truncated (just because it's many many volumes in a 2 hourish movie) and the anime was too different and truncated.

Question, any advice for a low level bandit doing O+S? I'm trying to kill smough first and always get ruined but super oberstein.

I have a ascended pyro glove +1 with combustion and great combustion. I have a +5 fire barbed sword and a +2 lightning dagger. I have +10 dingy robe. Using the ring of favor and protection and dark wood ring.

I summon solaire and he lasts for a moment against super oberstein. I can get a few shots of combustion on him but he always hits me through my shield (+2 dragon crest).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Working on my SL1 run. A couple of observations:

- Normal Smough is vulnerable to lightning. A Lightning Reinforced Club +3 will do about ~230 damage per hit.
- Two Great Combustions or three regular ones will stagger Normal Ornstein.
- If you get clipped by Super Smough's electric buttslam, it's not a one-shot unless you're directly under him or you're not topped off.

Just some advice to anyone else trying it, or struggling with Abbott and Costello in general. If you're killing Smough first, lightning helps for round 1. Fire and fast weapons are your best bet for round 2 (no matter who you kill first), unless you're a smashbro in which case strap on a greatshield and your heaviest, smashiest weapon and nothing else. Maybe Havel's ring. You don't want to fatroll in this fight. Midrolling is okay if you can time it right.

I swapped to my Jagged Ghost Blade +5 for Super Smough and I can't really tell if he's vulnerable to bleeds or not, but a few solid hits staggered him long enough for me to get away and regain stamina.

Any idea what I should do for super ornsein? I'm doing a SL8 run with a thief and my melee weapons don't do much damage to him (barbed fire sword +5 does 44 damage to him) and great combustion does like 400 damage but is too slow and I get smashed so easily. I'm using the dragon crest shield +2.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Can you two hand the Crystal Halberd you get from the Mimic in early Anor Londo? That thing does a ton of damage, especially if you poop in some upgrades. I was practicing some speedrunning and used the crystal halberd to fight S&O, which was wonderfully strong.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Use great combustion and dodge better. That's really the only advice I can give you. Or summon a friend.

Cool thanks guys. I'll practice and since I've boosted my glove to +5 ascended it should work. I'll also check out the crystal halberd.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
yay beat O+S finally. The difference between a +1 and +5 ascended glove is pretty staggering. Also learning how to dodge forward with super ornstein helps a ton.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Are you saying my Knight's shield isn't good enough for you?

More seriously: Managed to get myself quite a bit further, pretty much to the end of Darkroot Garden, except I need to go back at kill myself the Bell Gargoyles. Also, those Stone Guardian/Golem/things, holy poo poo are they cool. Not-too-difficult, but still requiring precision, and 600 souls per kill? Why yes I'd like to take all 5 per run, plus all the bushes running about.

Also managed to get myself the Wolf Ring. The extra 40 poise I think is gonna do wonders for me.

If you want to farm souls, go to the depths bonfire. Kill slimes, then kill rats. Most useful for farming large titanite and humanity but you do souls too. Best place for it at the point where you are at now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

xanthan posted:

Decided to see if shooting the dragons tailwould do anything, it moved, decided to keep doing it. Now I have a badass sword twice as strong as my axe.

This thing won't last me long will it?

drake sword is strong for the beginning game but it scales horribly with stats. Don't stick and get too comfortable with it and upgrade other poo poo.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Is there some trick to backstabbing? I can't pull it off reliably. I'm not guarding and I get as close as possible, but the exact positioning seems a bit wonky.

Its a bit variable with enemy types. The starting guys have a pretty wide area behind them when it works. You just have to be right next to them (as in you are strafing around them and pushing the movement stick into their back) and you do not have your shield up. Press R1 and it should connect.

With some enemies, like the silver knights, their back stab hitbox is about the 5 o'clock position.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So I'm getting back into this game after a break and I'm continuing my low level SL8 character. I just beat O+S and I don't know what to do really. I've maxed out my pyro glove, my lightning knife as far as I can (I was originally going to to a riposte build but haven't followed through with that), and light armor.

Things take a long time to kill and the game is becoming a bit tedious. What should I upgrade and where should I go? I tried to go to New Londo to drain the flood and it takes two hits to kill a ghost. Once I get to an area with a bazillion ghosts, it's annoying as hell.

Any advice to progress and upgrade? I want to switch to another weapon that has more damage output but doing a low level build restricts what I can use.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Go save Dusk, get the Dusk Crown. Go buy the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring from Griggs, use those two pieces of equipment to buff your pyro damage.

If you can use it, a lightning reinforced club is pretty great. You might be able to two hand some other weapons, like the Blacksmith Giant Hammer (but you have to kill the Blacksmith Giant to get that)

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If you know where you're going you can just run past all the ghosts up to Ingward (sometimes one will catch you on the ladder though). You can also run back out and drain the water but it's easier just to homeward bone after you talk to/kill Ingward and run back through to the seal.

Don't know your stats but a reinforced club, hand axe, or lightning/chaos straight sword (they all have their various charms) are pretty undemanding statwise and have pretty good DPS. If you haven't placed the lord vessel yet obviously you want to do the 4 Kings next.

I have 10 strength, 16 dex, 12 int, and 11 faith. So I can't use the reinforced club one handed. I have also an upgraded +5 fire barbed straight sword which works okay. I'll go grab that ring and hopefully I can get by New Londo.

What are the essential next goals I need to head for after placing the lordvessel? I know how to get to Nito and Searth. There's also the lava place I haven't really explored. And I know if I go fight 4 kings at the moment I'll die instantly.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Those are the things you have to do, and the DLC if you want. Nahxela was right that you should get the dusk crown ring (and buy the bellowing dragoncrest or if you're super manly use red tearstone) and pyro the 4 Kings. Power within and it'll take all 8 of your great combustions and I think 5 combustions to kill them. It's not actually that hard unless they spam the grab or explosion attacks, otherwise you just have to dodge like 1-2 sword swings a king.

Are you doing a SL8 run as your first playthrough because geez.

I do have both of those spell boosting items.

I've played a decent part through up to about lvl 60. I think the last boss I killed was Seath and Nito. I was going down to the lava place and restarted. My buddy convinced me to do a low lvl character with him but he's lost interest in the game and I just want to beat the game. It's hard... :P.

I have 2 magic slots so I can only have great and normal combustions.

I just found out that Quelaag's sword works well two handed (I'm too weak to use it one handed).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Any tips for a low level Artorias fight? I'm terrible at dodging and the only thing I have that does damage to him is my maxed out pyro glove (anywhere from 200 to 500 damage). My strongest weapons (reinforced club +10 divine and +5 fire) do about... 50 damage.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Empty quote this if you got the Black Knight Sword as one of your very first drops and just used that the entire game.

I just discovered how awesome this thing is and wished I had started using it a lot earlier.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Any advice on how to parry gywn reliably? I'm trying the block first hit and parry second but I keep running out of stamina and take a ton of damage. Also random grabs screw me up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Try a shield with higher stability. Do you have a black knight shield or a silver knight shield by chance?

Yes, using a black knight shield and sword both maxed out. Might go ahead and get some levels in endurance to make 40. I'm currently low 30s.

• Locked thread