Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Gwyndolin, son of Gwyn, lives in the bottom of Anor Londo, city of the gods, projecting an image of the city as it was before Gwyn left to link the fires to try and keep their age of prosperity (the Age of Fire) going. He also projects an image of his Sister (who left because poo poo went tits up) to pass the Lordvessel to the "chosen one" who gets to her. Basically everything to do with you getting to that point is a test from Gwyndolin to find someone strong enough and gullible enough to take over his father's place, burning to death for hundreds of years to keep the fires linked.
Frampt, the serpent who directs you to the city, was a servant of Gwyn and is in cahoots with Gwyndolin to get someone else to link the fires because he doesn't fancy having to serve the Dark Lord (the other ending) or have to fend for himself if everyone fails.

The greater subversion of the "you are the chosen one!" trope is in the other ending You actually become the "chosen one" by ignoring Gwyndolin/Frampt, thus showing you're not a big strong idiot, and take destiny into your own hands

To expand on this, the player is the descendant of the Furtive Pygmy (ever notice how big the humanoid bosses are? Yeah.) from the intro, who got the Dark Soul, from which humanity sprang forth. With the other lord souls gone, the age of gods dies, and the age of humanity begins (or rather, continues; Gwyn held it back by linking the fires). It is this prolonging that is creating the undead.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yohan posted:

Just walk up to it and touch it.

Wait, do I have to touch it before I leave the covenant? I gave her 30 humanity and immediately when sunbro. gently caress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muike posted:

You just kinda owned yourself, good job. The good news is you can kill the hatmaggot through the gate if you use poison mist or something similar.

I've got Dark Fog, hopefully that will work. Solaire I've failed you. :negative:

Would I have to hand over 15 more humanity? I thought ranks only reset if you betrayed, not if you leave for another.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A bit of a silly question but who says the quote in the thread title? I don't think I've heard a npc say it ever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeurosisHead posted:

Sunbro's don't have to be in human form to be summoned? :aaaaa:

No one does, you can be summoned whenever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

edit: Is that an eclipsed sun between the K and the S?

It's the Darksign.

e: drat it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Akuma posted:

Didn't curses stack originally? That really sucked.

Up to leaving you with 1/8th of your max health, if I recall.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Gigas posted:

This is about a spoilered section of your post but where is the in-game confirmation of Ariamis being some person? I'd love to see that, and I think I missed it.

If you talk to her again Priscilla asks if you know why Ariamis made the painting in the first place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After way too much DS2 I think I want to do another playthrough of DS1. I want to do a Dex build since I never have before but don't really know anything about what is where for that in the original game. Any tips on what to look for and how to build my character, bows to use, boss weapons to keep an eye for (and what weapons I need for that, if I can remember how the upgrade path works), things like that? I'm not really going to care too much about pvp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In that case I think I'm going to go 40 dex/30 faith so I can mess around with miracles too, since my previous characters ignored them entirely except the gravelord sword dances, but those don't really count. I used the furysword on my last character! I'm going to try to do the whole game co-oping with a friend so we'll see how that works out. I have the 360 version of the game and the framerate is really, really noticeably bad going back from DS2, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I go to fight Havel and a random hollow just wanders in and tagteams me. Not that it matters because Astora's straight sword did 60 whole damage on a backstab. gently caress Havel. :darksouls:

Also, wow, 360 version is dead isn't it? No darkwraiths, no summons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's a little sad. I figured it'd be a ghost town, but I didn't think it'd be quite so empty. Good thing I planned on going through with someone and didn't want to do PVP I guess. Though I could always just buy the pc version and put up with GFWL if I wanted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've completely forgotten; what determines how much damage the Hellkite's flame breath does? A quarter of the time it's an instant kill, the rest it's half damage. I do nothing different on any occasion.

Also, jesus gently caress since when did Havel have a 360 degree spin attack god drat it.

e: Alright I give up on Havel he's killing me by hitting the wall next to me after I've rolled behind him.

e: Between Havel's assfucking, the Hellkite just randomly killing me, and now the boar not giving me the boar helm after killing it first try this replay of Dark Souls is not off to a fun start.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 16, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

just parry havel it's easy.

just kidding havel is a bitch to fight, I usually end up dodging and backstabbing the prick. Hellkite I leave alone until I've got a +15 weapon and curbstomp that annoying piece of typhoid pusstained mothball.

Yeah, that's what I tried, but since he one-shots me, I inevitably hosed up around the tenth stab and died. The hellkite's just a pain because I kept running past the bridge to get to him because it's faster. It's gone a lot more smoothly now that I've left that area. I even saw a pair of phantoms to help with the Parish! Too bad I can't be summoned though; I need to beat the gargoyles twice so I can get the lightning spear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Havel's crazy easy, but if you're having trouble you can always make him follow you up the stairs until he gets too far away from his spawn area and starts walking back. Free hits. Really tedious though.

I actually tried that and it went well until he figured out how dumb that was and he just charged through. :shepface:

The problem with hugging his right forever is that he kept doing a spin attack that tracked me anywhere and annihilated me. I'll just go kill him in Darkroot. It's not worth the frustration.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, I didn't have any issues killing Havel on my first ever attempt, either. I was SL ~60 or 65, focusing mostly on Strength and Endurance, with Black Iron Armor +2, a basic Black Iron Helm, Elite Knight Greaves +2 or 3, and basic Silver Knight Gauntlets. I was using a Large Club +5. He was relatively easy to walk around, with attacks that were completely telegraphed. I just watched him charge up an attack, stepped out of the way, beat on him with the club a couple of times, and repeated for a few rounds. No fancy rolling, parrying, or exploits.

Then again, I'm not sure if I was overleveled for the fight or what (since it was my first time, I have no point of reference). And I've had trouble with other fights that were probably pretty easy for most players, like the Greatsword-wielding Heavy Knight toward the end of the Painted World, and those Royal Brass Giants right before S&O.

Yeah I was SL 10. :v:

I'm now convinced those two phantoms and myself are the only ones left in the Undead Burg/Parish area too. It's kind of sad how empty it is. It reminds me of the broken multiplayer from launch.

e: The rear end is pretty nice. Should I bother upgrading any other weapons for a while or stick with this until later on? Dex/Fth build.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

The Astora Straight Sword will do you well for now, but it really doesn't hold up, it's like the Faith version of the Drake sword. You might want to start pumping another weapon because that thing is gonna become useless around Sen's Fortress.

That's about what I thought, thanks. I'm thinking either ending up with a falchion or some hanzo steel as my main weapon and just lightning infusing it. Or maybe the gold/silver tracers if I feel like it. My first runthrough I used the Gravelord Greatsword and my second I used Quelaag's Furysword, so I want to do something completely different this time around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

Drake Sword and Astora's Sword is funny because they become useless at Sen's Fortress, which gives you a weapon that'll basically last you to the rest of the game. And this weapon encourages turtle style.

The Lightning Spear? I've actually never really bothered with spears in Souls games. I forgot Ricard's Rapier drops in there though, that'll be worth going for.

e: Before I forget to ask can I use Sunlight Blade on lightning-infused weapons or only normal weapons? I don't recall.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 16, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only faith weapons in the game that I can think of are strength based. You can infuse something with divine or occult but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that really benefits from it out of the dex weapons.

Really it's just a supplement for some more fun.

quote:

edit: lightning isn't faith based, it has no scaling in DkS1. Same with fire.

Ah, I didn't remember that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Balder Knights being able to parry you backstabbing them is weird as hell. You both hold perfectly still, then the player slides in front of them, performs a normal attack seconds later, then they parry you. And in two hours I got summoned once. I could just go back in a few hours for lightning spear but I was trying to grind these lovely Balder guys anyway. I regret that decision.

e: Now that I'm out of the Parish and I've forgotten what the hell is in Darkroot, I'm back to getting really tense and feeling like I'm about to get jumped, even though there is surely no one still bothering to invade. I got my lightning spears too. I'll never get Great Lightning Spear but they do some heavy damage, and it looks like GLS is only marginally stronger anyway. Also I managed to fall to my doom after killing the Moonlight Butterfly. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 17, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

Outside of the Solaire summons and the free sunlight medals, you could also farm sunlight maggots. It's not fun, but you can get your miracle, the same as you would with DMB.

Oh cool, I didn't know they were drops off those things. I'm hoping that areas like Gaping Dragon might still have a few biters, though. I actually had a couple at the butterfly. I'm still going to drop offline if I want to grab the loot from the forest invader area though.

e: Or just go in hollow I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's always fun going into the catacombs but a bit less fun going out. I got a bonewheel shield though! Also Lightning Spear is stupidly strong even at 20 faith and with only the thorolund talisman. Speaking of which I already offed Petrus, that won't affect Rhea selling me miracles later right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oops. Well they hadn't shown up yet so maybe it'll be cool. I was gunning for Wrath of God. Oh well! I'll make do with lightning spear, heal, sunlight blade, and emit force if they're grumpy.

e: I have enough in soul items now for absolution so no big deal.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 17, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually should I request absolution before or after Rhea even shows up?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Lightning Spear obliterates the Capra Demon. Two shots took 90% of it's health off. I killed it with a plunging attack with my titanite catch pole. Amazing how much of a problem that guy was a couple years ago compared to now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tae posted:

Sounds like you're way overleveled for Capra. Most people take him on after the Bell Gargoyles.

I did take a shortcut to Moonlight Butterfly first, maybe that's why then. I found my first invader too! I got summoned as a phantom in the Depths and immediately killed by a lightning avelyn. :allears:

Now I'm at the doors to Blighttown. I don't remember if I ever went through the top of it myself on either of my previous runs or if every time I went "gently caress it" and went in the master key route at the bottom.

e: What's the difference between the scimitar and falchion besides like five points of damage? I'm looking at them on the wiki and can't tell. Is it that the falchion has better scaling? I'm thinking of going with a falchion as a main weapon, a straight sword if I can get a good one, the darkmoon bow, and because I'm having fun with it the titanite catch pole.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 18, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're not really supposed to go to Darkroot before taking on the Capra or the Gargoyles, that's why the titanite demon is sitting there. There's a lot of instances like that in the early game where it tries to tell you to go another way by having a tough monster sitting in the way.

Also gently caress you for getting the catch pole drop so early. :mad: Took me forever to get that thing.

Honestly I couldn't remember what the 'right' order was and I was at Andre anyway. The demon didn't really do much of anything to me this game! Outside of Havel, the weirdness with those Balder knights, and that lovely dragon (which was my own fault for going up there so much) it's been smooth sailing actually. I bet the Hydra will gently caress me up real good though, I left that thing alone for the time being.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Upper Blighttown's framerate is somehow worse than lower Blighttown. And these ladders with enemies below them you can't hurt and they can instantly grab you off the ladder and combo kill you suck. One of the fat ones clipped through the level, hit me in the face, clipped me through the level, and off the cliff too.

Also it turns out requesting absolution does absolutely nothing to Rhea, Vance, and Nico. Kill Petrus and they are pissed no matter what. I have enough humanity to save Solaire now though!

:smith:

e: By the way Pinwheel didn't drop a mask for me when he died. What's up with that?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 19, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God I hate the Stray Demon so much. An attack that hits the entire arena even though the hitbox is like a fifth of it? Yes please!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manslaughter posted:

It doesn't hit the entire arena.

Six light dodge rolls away from the horizontal one and it still hit me. Breaking lock-on and sprinting and it still hit me. The vertical ones are easily dodgeable but that horizontal explosion is a bitch. Especially since it seems to ignore my shield half the time. He's actually the only guy I didn't beat my first runthrough of the game; only now and on my second run.

Would it be worth it to make my falchion +15 or lightning infuse it instead? I remember they nerfed it eventually but don't remember how.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress you Iron Golem stop punting me off the arena. This run is a trainwreck compared to my battlemage run.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Run to the walls. It does not hit the entire arena.

I didn't make it before it blew me up, sprinting or rolling as fast as possible from the moment I saw the windup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

If you back away, you will generally get hit or need to block it. As other people said, generally stay behind it. On the version where he swings the staff sideways, he'll swing from his left to his right and the shockwave will emanate from his right. So you generally want to run past and behind him to his left.

I spent most of the fight hugging his butt, but whenever he did a ground pound or melee attack he'd reorient, then do the horizontal attacks I couldn't dodge, and even being behind him when he did them it hit me (the vertical ones I could back up off his rear end and evade). The actual start of the fight wasn't really an issue except one time where he opened with an explosion. Like I said I already beat him, I just really loving hate him. I have more trouble with that rear end in a top hat than Bed of Chaos.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't really sure what the damage type was, that's good to know if I ever fight him again. But I may just snap my disk in half if the loving Anor Londo snipers don't stop shooting arrows at me that somehow make me moonwalk or ricochet me 90 degrees to the right.

e: There we go, christ. Dark Souls 2's definitely babytown frolics compared to this.

e: Ok what's the deal with the game delaying backstabs by a couple seconds after I've pressed the button then turning it into a regular attack right as a normal enemy attacks because it's making the silver knights a lot more tedious than they need to be.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 19, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can sprint up to the archers easily enough usually, but I had the unfortunate realization up when I finally stopped getting pingponged off the level in random directions (seriously how do I get shot in the back and get launched to the right) that the falchion doesn't have the kick.

Also holy poo poo Ornstein isn't poo poo after fighting him so much in DS2. And Smough is easy to avoid. How did these guys gently caress me over for like two-three hours straight the first time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My personal infuriating enemy are those goddamned royal Brass Giants right before O&S. I play a slower character, so I struggle to outmaneuver their perpetual defenses and hit them while they're exposed. Generally it's not such a problem because you can whittle the ordinary giants down when they whiff/misstep, but those goddamned royal versions heal themselves, undoing any progress I've made. I'm not always patient enough to deal with them.

I managed to get into a stupid dance with them on one of the staircases on the side where they would both go up the stairs, I'd nearly kill them, they'd trip over each other trying to get to me, one of them would fall off the stairs and heal, then it would repeat with the other falling off after. To make it worse the catch pole's first R1 attack aims directly at their shield from the front so I couldn't hurt them on those stairs except from the side, meaning I had to go up the second flight and start poking. The Lightning Falchion I made may have taken all the scaling off, but the split damage is handy now, and at 180/180 is almost on par with the pole, but twice as fast. So I don't regret that at all! And the longbow I'm going to make into a Darkmoon bow isn't that great anyway so who cares, and I already have 9 demon titanite. I'm considering making the dragonslayer spear but I'm not really sure if it'd be worth it at 16 strength and 30 faith.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since I was in the area I killed the crystal golem that drops the broken pendant. It didn't drop it, though. I hadn't gone and rescued Dusk yet. I didn't just gently caress myself out of playing the dlc again did I?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flytrap posted:

No, he endlessly respawns. He'll drop it after you save dusk.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if he was unique or not. That's good!

e: There is something seriously wrong with the 360 version now. It delays my rolls sometimes, if it ever recognizes it. It only occasionally cares that I have my shield up. It's like the game randomly gets like a second or two of input lag, but it delays the actual actions as well. I mean gently caress just now against the Sanctuary Guardian I go to roll, the character stands there, I get hit, then the guardian goes into the air to shoot lightning, THEN it recognizes I pressed the B button and rolls out of the way. What the gently caress is that?

e: Oh for gently caress's sake I seriously can't use Sunlight Blade with either the lightning falchion or catch pole? This entire run is a mistake.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 20, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You want Darkmoon Blade I think.

Well I killed that guy for his bow. :smith:

Also wow, the Falchion is absolute garbage. Oh boy a total of 30 damage to Artorias! And none of the straight swords dropped so I have the rear end, the catch pole (which can at least do 75 damage so that's something), and the lightning falchion. I have zero chunks to make something else not garbage with. I hosed up everything possible on this run. Dex sucks and is dumb and I hate it. <:mad:>

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, making your falchion lightning is dumb because lightning is not based on faith or dex. It doesn't even have scaling, it and fire are like elemental versions of raw infusion. Divine and occult weapons scale on faith in Dark Souls. It's probably also why you can't use Sunlight Blade on it since the falchion can be enchanted.

Ugh, it looked like the raw damage from adding lightning was stronger than the scaling bonus. At +10, anyway. I guess I'll back out, grab the scythe and see if I like that, downgrade the falchion, see if I can't grind chunks anywhere, and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Time to go rub my face in giant butts! I did get Artorias down though. As it happens, two other players with seriously messed up equipment were smashing their faces against Artorias and losing, so we joined forces. My lovely falchion drew his attention while their lovely crossbows and scythes ground him down. It's actually pretty funny.

• Locked thread