Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before - the thread is chock full of spoilers so I don't want to read through every single page to look for whether this is a known issue:
I was summoned by someone earlier for a boss and got disconnected just as the boss cutscene ended. What is likely to have caused this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

So I killed Havel, but he killed me simultaneously. I do not have the ring and Havel is not spawning. Is there a way for me to get his ring?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

Does restarting the game still fix this kind of thing?

Not for me - I quit shortly after not getting Havel's ring (because of the simultaneous kill) and started the game to test now - I don't have the ring and Havel isn't spawning.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

UberJumper posted:

Check the lost and found chest in firelink

Nope, no Havel's ring there either. Thanks for the tip, though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

SL 23. Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly are dead, plus the two starter bosses. Thanks for the offer!
E: I have the Master Key so I could pop into the relevant areas available from Firelink.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

OK this is the first time I've done some deliberate meeting things. Should I just be human and stand around in the New Londo ruins? My GFWL name is Gaesadair.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 5, 2012

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

All right, in place and waiting. Thanks a lot for this!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Veev posted:

This is the first time Dark Souls has ever crashed for me but I'm logging in and I'm in the spot!

Does't seem like the network wants me to see your summon sign. Unless it was that white donut thing that appeared for a while that I didn't get any text for.

Cowcaster posted:

And then they realized they were on two separate servers.

Doesn't the network sort of change around over time? I know I've seen summon signs phasing out of and back into existence at the same location before.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Veev posted:

Well all my text just got replaced by white blocks and then fixed itself and now my game is running great and I'm really weirded out, but I'm still sitting here. It's right next to the undead trapped in the pot.

I'm gonna call it a night. Thanks for trying to help me; too bad :darksouls: wouldn't let you.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Instead of nagging more in the thread or save editing I decided to just start my second character over again to get Havel's ring. This time I had incredible luck with drops. From early BKs I got BK sword and BK shield, also I got a Stone Greatsword while going to get the Elite Knight Armor. Oh, and the Boar helmet.

As this is a END/STR build using the Zweihander from Firelink onward, I don't use shields much (I just put my strength at 16 and two-hand the thing). What should I use my first few Twinkling Titanite on, i.e. are these weapons much better than a +5 Zweihander at this point, and is it worth upping my stats to be able to wield them?

While I'm here, my first character got the BSS while dicking around waiting to be summoned on top of Sen's. It is a (somewhat schizophrenic) DEX build. I see the BSS mentioned a few times in the thread, what should I do with it? I've a +10 Uchigatana (a serendipitous discovery from an accidental attack) currently.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks, I'll get it to +10 the next time I can get the titanite for it and see how it stacks up.

The Uchigatana didn't seem to do much against the Sen's boss, but that may just be him being big and tough and me not putting 2 and 2 together with the spear I found in there, I don't know. I did get him down eventually.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I've made a strength/faith character specifically to go after Grant and use it as soon as possible. Before I go waste a lot of time in the Tomb, does anyone know if Paladin Leeroy's invasion spot is accessible before you open the gold fog door?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

If only the game actually recognized the input device with a "start" button on it, I wouldn't be repeatedly trying to get it working with a keyboard:v:

Dark Souls, for all that it is a great game, is also a lovely console port. I assume you have DSfix. If not, get DSfix. Anyway, couple things regarding input devices:

Dark Souls will only recognise the first input device (beyond keyboard and mouse) that it sees. I have to plug out my Razer Orbweaver whenever I want to play Dark Souls (which is most of the time).

Also it only really recognises xbox 360 controllers, if you have something else you're best off looking into a program that lets your other gamepad pretend to be an xbox 360 controller.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

EightBit posted:

Edit: I saw a summon sign right before the Bed of Chaos today :psyduck:

Now that is true dedication to jolly cooperation. Helping other players with Bed of Chaos may be the most charitable act I can think to do in dark souls.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I realise this is the Dark Souls 1 thread, but the Dark Souls 2 thread doesn't care about discussing spoilers from material that has been shown, leaked, or otherwise come under public scrutiny. I want to go into that game as blind as possible, but I am also interested in not paying through the nose to get it. What's my best resource for finding deals on the game & whether the PC port is actually less terrible than the Dark Souls 1 port, given that I care about spoilers and the Dark Souls 2 thread here is therefore off-limits to me?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Almost all secret rooms are located in places that seem to be empty, it's quite ridiculous actually.
Once you figure that out, finding all secrets usually isn't a problem.

I don't know about that. There are plenty of elevator rooms, ladder rooms, bonfire rooms, treasure rooms, and so on in the game without secret doors in them, so you might expect a player to give up before they get to ones that actually have one. The few that are in otherwise entirely pointless empty rooms, sure, but there aren't really that many of those.

Assuming you mean "empty" to mean "doesn't have enemies," of course.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

If you have the Master Key, you can get there through the Valley of the Drakes, which does require a trip technically into New Londo, but well before any ghosts. If you don't, you should go to Lower Burg. Go back to where you met Solaire for the first time. There's a door on the big bridge. You picked up a key for it while in the Parish (thanks Tarezax). Note that even if you DO have the Master Key, you should probably go through the Lower Burg instead of trying to sequence break.

You want to go to the Lower Burg anyway, because the Large Ember is there and weapon upgrades are like, important and stuff.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Does the resistance of my armour affect how much stamina I lose when I block a hit or do resistances only come into play during actual health loss? Also, what happens If I block with a shield that I don't have the Strength for?

Your shield has a stat called stability that determines how much of the blocked damage gets absorbed by the shield. The rest goes to stamina. This is different from the stat that determines how much damage gets blocked in the first place. Stability is the most important shield stat.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

pisshead posted:

Huh, blocking it made it laughably easy. Didn't know it could be cheesed like that. Who'd have known that I could block a hammer bigger than my character. Got past the bull too, but died to one of those big knight things in the next area. This game really needs some checkpoints, the amount of time you spend grinding through poo poo you've already done to get back to wear you died is criminal.

If you mean the knight with a big shield and a mace, there are two bonfires between the Taurus demon and him. One where you kick down the ladder to your previous one, and one if you go right instead of left at the church.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Back when hacking was A Thing (as in people would drain your stats, curse, egg, or teleport you by hitting you with their weapon) I blocked the GFWL ports on my computer. GFWL complains when I start Dark Souls but lets me play offline with an online profile just fine.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I can't get anyone to play my game :(

I just want to follow people around the Burg with my SL1 dickwraith and shower them with Lloyd's Talisman until they die.

They either run into a corner to suck their thumbs or go into berserk mode.

No one who has ever been invaded in Dark Souls will try to progress while there's an invader right there. The invader will be their main focus until the invasion is over one way or the other. If they know a quick way through the mobs to the boss they'll take it, but veterans don't tend to be human in the Burg unless they're there specifically to fish for invasions.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Try bleeding.

Seriously, Thief starts have a ridiculously easy time with the Stray Demon because their starting weapon accumulates bleed damage easily with little stamina cost, and he's really vulnerable to bleeding. If you put him off until you can get the Lifehunt Scythe, the tail that goes with it, or the tracer, he just rolls over and dies.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The game throws a lot of solid humanity at you; if you are conservative with kindling bonfires and don't go human to summon and stuff you will end up with more than enough for level 2 Chaos Servant by the time you're done with O+S.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Those guys are a bit of a trap, they seemingly fit nicely in the progression where each consecutive enemy type is slightly bigger and wears more armour than the last one but they are actually late game content strewn throughout the map and you can't even utilize their primary drop until the second half of the game. Think semi-legendaries hidden behind pools in low level routes in Pokémon but without the gating and signposting to stop you from stumbling into them. You can kill him at any level but he's going to be harder than the area boss and unless you get a random weapon drop, you're going to be just lugging his loot around for a looooong time.

Note that this does not apply if the guy has a tower shield (big square shield) rather than a smaller kite shield like that dude you're talking about specifically - if you avoid the first tower shield guy you see you will never finish the game.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Oh it's just a giant croco... :stonk:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

:darksouls: http://www.twitch.tv/GlassLotuss

Back after a long break, I'm co-commentating on my Fiance / Girlfriend's Sorcerer blind run!

Level 46 Just leaving blighttown.

Hey, why don't you guys have archived footage enabled? I like watching Dark Souls, but I tend to miss these streams; I'd still like to check them out.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, only insuficcient strength will alter your moveset. You can swing around any weapon to see the moveset as long as you have enough strength. It will do poo poo for damage if you don't have enough dex, int, or faith depending on what it scales with, though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Ooh that makes sense. I'd never seen that effect before so I just assumed it was something they did to me.

The same person got their revenge about 20 minutes later by invading right when I was in the middle of fighting 2 silver knights I accidentally triggered at once.

To see an example of the same effect, equip the blood shield you found in the painted world and immediately quit the menu.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

legendsuper posted:

Spending some time at the Undead Parish helping random people killing the Gargoyles is certainly the best time I had so far with the game. This early in their adventure, they never fail to send you a cheerful message thanking you and praising the sun !
Some people were even kind enough to kill all the enemies except the boss before trying to invoke phantoms, they're the best :allears:

When going for Great Lightning Spear as early as possible I had helping people with the gargoyles down to a science. Chop tail, kill first one with three casts of lightning spear, kill second one with two casts of lighning spear. Praise the sun!

I wonder how many of those players went on to give up at O&S because they hadn't learned to fight two boss monsters from the gargoyles.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Some idiot left Nito's coffin open for like centuries. All that moisture evaporated and gathered up-funnel in the room with the pinwheels. Why do you think that water spawns skeleton babies?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Sadly, Maneater Mildred was not a player phantom, but an NPC one.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You haven't mentioned any DLC bosses, so I'd look into showing Dusk that amulet you found in the Duke's Archives. It does mention Oolacile.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Artorias! What have you become? :stonk:

The best boss since Ornstein and Smough.

Also, since Lost Oolacile is far in the past, apparently Artorias was less successful at traversing the Abyss than people would have you believe.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Next playthrough you should do the DLC before Sif (and therefore the 4 kings).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Solaire is very inconsistent vs. O&S. One time he killed Ornstein before I could kill Smough.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The Sealer in New Londo will talk about how Artorias is the only one who's traversed the Abyss. Alvina will say (if you say "yes I'm looking for the grave of Artorias") "that myth about Artorias traversing the abyss is hogwash, don't believe in it". I'm pretty sure there's a couple of item descriptions hinting toward it, too. And the key you buy to get into the forest is the "crest of Artorias", so that points you in the right direction.
e:f,b

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Downs Duck posted:

As of now, The Four Cocksuckers is taking away all my motivation for the game. It went from super to sour in a few hours. I've tried everything, including preparing and combining armor for highest magic defense, and pummeling away at them for 300 base dmg with the Drake Sword +5 at level 89, but it doesn't matter. They kill me every single time.

Time for a break. Maybe an hour, maybe a week.

Did you invest everything in resistance or something? At level 89 you should have plenty of stats that weapons scale with to make them vastly superior to the drake sword.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Also with 25 strenght two-handing a strength-scaling weapon will give you near max damage for it (it tops out at 40 before severe diminishing returns, and your strength is multiplied by 1.5 for wielding a weapon two-handed). Upgrading a Man-Serpent Greatsword to +15 will give much higher damage output than your +5 drake sword, for instance.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

animatorZed posted:

Staggering is based on poise, which is a different mechanic.

Yes, and that mechanic does feature an "invisible bar" in that it works the same way as bleed and poison; every attack deals poise damage which goes toward your poise value, once the poise value is exceeded you stagger. This poise damage goes away over time, just like poison and bleed damage go away over time unless the bar is filled. I think the source quoted may have mixed up critical damage and poise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Those tall humanoids like the Silver and Black Knights aren't regular 'humans' like the player character, but are sort of semi-divine creatures. They're basically lesser versions of gods like Gwyn.

Or alternately, humans are tiny compared to everyone else because they hail from the Furtive Pygmy. Did you forget him?

• Locked thread