Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I am completely terrible at this game :negative: From Firelink I should be going to up to the Undead Burg first, right?

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Well, I beat the Undead Church and am slowly getting better at this game. Still utter poo poo at PvP though - makes it hard to keep my humanity.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Fun bug I encountered in normal circumstances: if a drake to does the gliding lightning attack near the doors to new londo ruins it can fly through them and get trapped on the other side.

That's nothing, I had one phase through the floor and fall to its death as it was trying to leap away from me. That was an odd experience.

It's really funny when you get them to dodge off the cliff though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Certainly the safest. I wasn't confident in parrying him so I went with the circle-dodge and backstab.

Any suggestions for getting summoned at SL 60? I'd like to engage in some jolly cooperation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any way to see where NPC summoning signs are, without checking all the summoning signs?
I can't summon players because of my NAT bullshit.

EDIT: I meant, is there any visual difference between normal and NPC summoning signs.

There's no visual difference between normal and NPC summoning signs, but NPC summoning signs will generally be out near the boss door somewhere while player summon signs are usually placed at the nearest bonfire.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Straight swords are pretty fun. My personal favorite is the Silver Knight Str. Sword.

Seconded, that thing is a beast when fully upgraded. I use a Silver Knight Shield with it. The SK Shield is the highest stability shield that can still parry.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I really like the Gold Tracer from the DLC. Does pretty good damage and causes Bleed, too, and I like the curved sword moveset. The only downside is that I can't kick with it.

Also rocking the Lord's Blade set because it looks awesome. Sorry Ciaran.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

After dying to him a bunch I used the bow exploit to take him to 1% and then jumped down there to deal the last hit :v: It was cathartic but next time I'll do it legit.

Having a high stability shield and plenty of stamina really helps to tank his combo, which was easily the thing that killed me the most.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I had a pretty awesome PvP battle in Anor Londo while I was doing Sunbro coop. Someone summoned me right as he got invaded. I met the invader in the hallway outside the bonfire room and there was some dancing around as he tried to toss some fireballs at me. Then the host managed to distract him a bit and I landed a backstab that took the invader to low health, and when he ran around the corner and tried to pop a humanity I ran right up to him and cut him down with my Hanzo steel (+15 Uchigatana).

I think the funniest PvP I had was while doing Forest Hunter. I and another Forest Hunter dude boxed in a guy near Alvina's building, and we managed to make him walk backwards right off the cliff.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

(Continuing discussion on the Capra Demon from last page) In addition, it really helps to have a weapon that can take out the Capra's dogs in one swing. That way you spend a minimum amount of time stuck in attack animations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I made a 2H BKH gimmick character named Guan Yu and while trying to get the dogs I suddenly won the boss fight, because I'd been hitting the Capra Demon at the same time. Shortest Capra fight ever.

Jesus the Black Knight Halberd is OP. I even killed the Hellkite Drake with it (after getting 1-shot several times by his fire) before taking down the Gaping Dragon.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

An upgraded Claymore would probably work, it requires 16 strength to 1-hand though. If you're good enough at rolling, honestly, you don't even need a shield. The Capra Demon's attacks are fairly easy to dodge through as long as you aren't being harassed by dogs at the same time.

Try going through Darkroot Garden (past the Titanite Demon next to Andre's smithy) and getting the Wolf Ring. The 40 poise it gives you should help you avoid getting stunlocked.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 26, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Well, the Drake Sword is going to be stronger than most +5 weapons at that stage of the game. Meat Recital would probably have to 2-hand it though considering his low STR.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I've been watching this Taiwanese guy stream Dark Souls and he's pretty fun to watch. Right now he's trying and failing at Bed of Chaos.

http://www.twitch.tv/sss99818

EDIT: Seriously, even if you can't understand Chinese his attitude and energy is great.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 27, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I cut off Kalameet's tail and also killed him, all solo. :smug: Took a lot of tries though.

Staying under him and making him do the stomp attack was the key, it's really easy to avoid once you can tell which legs are going to stomp.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Decided to mess around early-game and try to go human to do some PVP in the parish for funsies and a dude showed up who looks like this.

I'm soul-level 12 or something, skipped the taurus demon and the dragon bridge and just went human by the church and this guy invades me with a spell that splits into 5 purple things, a helmet i've never seen before and a spell that creates this huge purple miasma around him. He pretty much just owned me with whatever it was he was using and I sat there kind of dumbfounded. I thought I might have some fun invading lower level people who happened to be human around there because I managed to get through some of the early game while still being low level, but I just ran into someone even more heavily twinked and way more experienced and got wrecked, and I'm starting to run out of humanity now. :(

Is it even possible to have the gear/spells he had at the level he was at without killing the gargoyles and he save-edited, or was he just super twinked out? I just wanna try to parry people and hit them with my caestus, I don't want to fight save edited guys.

Edit: just fought two legit guys and was pretty fun, makes up for that dude.

Couldn't he be a low SL NG+(+) character?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Taiwanese streamer slipped off a ledge in Tomb of Giants followed by a giant skeleton, ran into Patches, and accidentally whacked him off the ledge into the pit :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Lavender Philtrum posted:

It wasn't Pursuers

A better view of his weird helmet

He parried me the second time he invaded me. :(
I feel that makes him less bullshit and more skilled and I could just be a whiner.

That's Dark Bead, which requires a mere 16 Int. And he's wearing a Bloathead Sorcerer helm. Both of those are from the DLC. Yeah, he's probably a low SL NG+ guy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tallgeese, is that you on the Taiwanese stream? Because there was a Knight Tallgeese in his game for a little while. :tinfoil:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pivotal Lever posted:

You don't have to be in NG+ to be able to cast Dark Bead, I have an SL8 invader that can cast Dark Bead that is still in NG. Whenever I invade parish, I just use +5 weapons and reserve Dark Bead and Black Flame for twinked sunbros and NG+ people.

Oh right, you can still invade if you've defeated the area boss. Somehow I didn't realize that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Man I've gotten a lot better at parrying. On a new character (Thief) I actually managed to parry & riposte Havel to death on my 4th try.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

It took me like 15 attempts but I finally beat Manus legit. I thought I was going to die again when he pulled out the magic shotgun blast but I managed to dodge it and took him down. Such a great feeling.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I ctd when I set the vertical render res to anything less than 720. Try setting it to like 800x720 and see if it works.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Zoness posted:

Look at this kid who got hit by the Iron Golem :smuggo:

Also yes, he is a literal pushover, or rather, kick him in the feet and he falls over.

Sometimes right off the platform you fight him on!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

So I'm about to do Gargoyles on a new character, when I realize that I haven't talked to Solaire yet and would like to get the white soapstone before doing it. I run all the way through the Parish, and get all the way across the dragon bridge (no dragon because I didn't go through Burg) when I get invaded, and Solaire isn't there. The invader immediately takes off in the other direction, assuming I had run through to the Sunlight Altar and beyond.

I've been sitting here at Solaire's sunbathing spot for about 20 minutes and the guy still hasn't found me. He's come back to the dragon bridge twice, but never crossed it all the way.

Edit: Eventually he found me, but he just ran away and was tossing prism stones everywhere... I just alt-F4ed to fix my framerate instead of trying to chase him down.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 13, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Sometimes Dusk's summon sign is underwater and invisible. Try walking around in the water near the body that carries the Knight set and see if you get a prompt to summon her.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Tried that before, the magic goes through anyway.

Against the rain magic, you have to roll out of the way at the end because some of the projectiles will hit dead on and not be deflected. Those projectiles will hit you if you don't move far enough as the shield goes down. The others get deflected without issue.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Can you kill the monster without the head, the lightning rod, and the 3 arms? I am doing a bit of damage, but he keeps murdering me. I feel like I should take all my armor off so I can just roll around him since he's so slow. Thoughts?

If you've upgraded your Claymore to +5, then it should be doable. Even then, it takes some time. Roll through his melee attacks around to his left side (the side missing a leg), and he won't be able to hit you for a bit. Watch out though, if you hang out there for a while he will use his jumping attack which is really strong. If you keep circling him counterclockwise and roll you should avoid it though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Zedd posted:

I killed the undead burg merchant by accident; where can I buy/find a bow if I am currently being bad at parrying working through the depths?

You can get a free longbow if you explore the forest basin area past Andre the Blacksmith

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

:sigh: die at the same time as super Ornstein and it doesn't give you the leo ring, gently caress.

Try poking around where he died. Sometimes the item is actually there, but turns invisible if you died before you could pick it up.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I really hate the Halberd. I don't know, I should probably try using it properly at some point, but anytime I've picked it up because of always hearing how good it is (and it is, like, objectively) I just end up being really bored by the move-set.

I just hate how finicky the R1 hitbox on the thing is. I much prefer the chopping halberds like Gargoyle's and BKH. My favorite weapon classes though are curved swords and greatswords - nice arcs while still being perfectly viable in narrow spaces. I made an Artorias cosplay character, and even though the windup on the 2h R2 of the Abyss Greatsword is really long I love it. You can usually start the windup from safely out of reach and then smash a dude into the ground with the leaping hit.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Dude, I have a computer that tanks to 5 FPS on certain bosses unless I turn the camera away from them and I still have fun fighting them. Capra is indeed annoying because the camera can wig out on you due to the arena being so small, but that's about the worst it ever gets.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Music Theory posted:

So I'm at O & S, I haven't beaten them yet, and Solaire has disappeared from the bonfire and I can't summon him. Is there a way to get him back, or do I just have to beat them by myself?

The hell? Solaire shouldn't leave the bonfire before O&S until you've beaten them. Are you sure you talked to him enough back at Undead Burg?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Go to the bonfire, quit and reload I guess. I think that should fix it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah I'm avoiding the DS2 threads until april, good op though!

So help me figure something out about the byzantine multiplayer. If I've got this right: you can only be summoned in an area where you've yet to beat the boss, right?

And ng and ng+ can't mix? So how is there a dude waiting to be summoned at Anor with the Orn set? Or am I wrong about that second bit?

You're wrong on both counts. You can BE summoned whenever you want, as long as you're within +-(10%+10) of the summoner's level. NG or NG+ doesn't matter at all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Sen's Fortress.

Redirect the boulder so that it goes to the left of the "safe" open area. That is, if that safe area is "North" send the pillars "West". Let them run for a while, then change the direction so you can run down the path. They should have stacked up and knocked through a wall. The ring is there.

Why are you in New Londo anyhow? If you're there following the plot, most of your weapons should one-shot the ghosts.

edit: Yeah, that'd explain why you're having trouble. No, you're way, way early at attempting New Londo on your first playthrough. You want the Lower Burg. Check back near where you found Solaire for the very first time. The Gargs dropped a key for you that unlocks a door. If you're facing the Bridge Wyvern, it'll be on your right before you cross the bridge

Actually, the key is on a corpse next to the gate in front of the Undead Church, behind where the boar was.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

None of that was remotely helpful.

I've played the game through three times and struggled with the AOE attacks from both the Firesage and Stray Demons, barely surviving it by hiding behind a maxed out fire shield. Everyone struggles with that attack, and I'd also like to know how to avoid his patterns without tanking.

But if you're not going to divulge the method by which the attacks can be 'easily' avoided, stop smugposting, nobody gives a poo poo how awesome you think you are unless you're going to actually post something useful.

Stay unlocked, get up close and try to circle around behind. If you're still far away when he moves to do an explosion, dodge away from him. If you're already close, sprint past him and you should avoid getting hit. Staying close can get him into a cycle of buttstomping over and over - run in and hit him right after he comes down, then go to his rear again.

I find that one of my biggest issues when fighting Demon Firesage is that he gets the ability to jump backwards, which his brothers don't have. If he jumps away from you and leaves no space to get behind him, just stay away and let him come back to you. You need that space behind him to avoid getting hit by explosions.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Weapons with a wide swing like the Great Scythe and the Zweihander are really good in PvP because they are effectively lag-proof and can do dead-angling to get past shields. Not to mention they hit really hard.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I just feel kinda defeated because I resorted to grinding levels and now farming dung pies because I had to read up a method to get one of them toxic and keep running away. I am amazed how folks can beat them at SL40-50 without Sunbro

For me the trick to soloing it was learning to bait out one of their attacks in order to go after the other guy. If you're going after Smough first, you want to approach Ornstein and trigger his spear combo before going to hit Smough. If you're going after Ornstein first, get Smough stuck behind a pillar or in an attack windup before you wail on Ornstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Artificer posted:

Wait. How bad is his computer?

Not that bad. It only lagged up really badly in Blighttown, we were watching him play through Sen's Fortress in 720p at good FPS.

• Locked thread