Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Vertigus posted:

Yeah there are games from studios with a history of developing for PC that ship with tons of problems (Rage, for example), so it'll definitely be worth waiting to buy Dark Souls until reports come out. The GFWL, the low resolution, and the 30 FPS limit are all things we know about, but who knows what other problems will crop up once people start playing it on computers that aren't exact copies of the ones the developer was able to test it on.

I mean, poo poo, the download for it will be small and all you have to do is wait a couple hours after release to find out if there's something like "It flat-out doesn't work with ATI cards" going on.

Most of the previews mention that the game runs fine, so I wouldn't be too worried about that stuff.

But if you're worried I'd wait for the trip report. I don't mind spending $40 to test the game. :v:

Sanzuo posted:

I'm guess you will pretty much have to play this with a gamepad. I can't see keyboard controls being very intuitive.

Sounds like a challenge to me. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Rirse posted:

Can't wait to play this tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm trying to finish Demon Souls. Don't think I will beat it before Dark Souls unlock tomorrow, but at least I can try. But one thing, do they still have the world tendency, or you shouldn't worry too much about hollowing if you know there isn't coming up that will gently caress you over?

Never worry about unhollowing.:unsmigghh:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really dislike this trailer. The music is okay but the trailer is edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.

To be fair, none of the trailers for the game did anything like that. They were all quick cuts of the player dying and/or two second clips of bosses/enemies.

I just like the Bartholomew trailer because it's :black101: as gently caress.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Dreadwroth posted:

I am really tempted to grab this on Steam, it looks like the kind of hardcore fantasy survival(or not so much) horror to beat my face against. It is one thing to accept that dying a lot is an intentional game mechanic, and quite another if it is just crap design.

It is a beautifully designed game. The game is built in such a way that death is more of a learning experience than a punishment. You die because you weren't properly cautious or got too cocky, and you become better for it.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Lazy Programming posted:

Yeah, really easy to tell the art wasn't designed for higher resolution, can't say it looks better.

100% agree here. That doesn't look any better at all.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

If we could have something like that added to the OP that would be helpful. I want to go in blind, but I also don't want to be a fuckwit about applying stat points.

No. You will go in completely blind and you will like it. :mad:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Bardeh posted:

As far as I can tell, my connection is fine. Steam is staying connected, etc. The most annoying thing is that if I'm playing online, but then Windows Live decides to poo poo the bed, I get booted out of the game. Then I have to watch those intro movies again to get back to the menu. Then I try to reconnect Windows Live. Then it maybe connects. Then I go back into the game. I get disconnected again 5 minutes later. :sigh:

I could play offline, but half of the fun of the game is seeing ghosts running around and reading the little messages people leave.
Make sure your ports are open.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Azraden posted:

SUMMONING FAILED.

GFWL! :argh:

No that's pretty much just how the Dark Souls summoning system works.

Or doesn't work, as it were.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

:( I'll keep my sign down there in case it eventually lets you summon me.

It's a better idea, if you're trying to get a specific person, to put your sign somewhere where people don't usually go unhollowed. Right next to Solaire means people are probably trying to summon you which is loving up your availability.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

SO how do I get [DLC SPOILERS]the outfit/armor/stuff of the guy with the mask who hates me for some reason?

I want his face and also his hat and pretty much everything. I wish to consume him.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

I asked way back yesterday before anyone knew, so I'm going to ask again:

Where does the DLC start? Don't spoil what it is, just how you enter it please :) I've finished the game multiple times and want to take a crack at the DLC while I'm still low level/undergeared rather than turning into a powerhouse before I find it

Where it starts You have to get a Pendant from the Duke's Archives (it's in a crystal golem), you'll know it when you get it, then you go back to the place where you find the golden crystal golem that has Dusk in it. It's fairly late game, unfortunately.

I think it may also work if you have the pendant you get as a gift, but I'm not sure.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

A feature? It's a deliberate non-feature.

Dark Souls says: gently caress friendship you die alone.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Snoop Rocket posted:

Playing this with Turtle Beaches on makes it a whole new experience, this poo poo is scary.

The first thing to hit me was the audio.

I keep hearing noises that are obviously enemies but I can't tell if they're real and/or if they're aggroed. :ohdear:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've found a couple of areas in the DLC content where there is obviously a hidden door. I don't know how to open it though. You see a slight indentation in the wall, and hear a pounding noise when you get close. Any clues?

Rumor has it that you're supposed to shine light on those areas. I have no idea how, though.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Make your own!

Jolan posted:

Great, thanks.

Two more questions, though:
- Does the game save your number of souls etc. when you quit, or only when you rest at a bonfire?
- Why am I occasionally getting liquid Humanity? I know you get an extra Estus Flask when someone kindles a nearby bonfire, but I don't get where those Humanities keep coming from.

The game saves your souls whenever it saves. Just don't quite in the middle of an autosave or you'll lose your progress.
You get liquid humanity from killing normal enemies before the boss of the area is dead.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

PalpableDefeat posted:

Well at least getting through the caves again isn't bad once you've been through there before. Also if you look carefully at the falling particles you can tell where the invisible walkways are without having to use the items to find it.

You will also eventually just remember how they go.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

New Londo is where that thing is at. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

They really go out of your way to hide it from you, too. The area's in a tree in an area of the game you never really have to explore, behind two walls and under an area made of falling deaths and mushrooms.

Paracelsus posted:

Does anyone know what the conditions are for triggering Quelana's request, or whether receiving it is necessary before killing the Bed of Chaos if you want Fire Tempest? My second character bought all her stuff and fully upgraded their hand, and has placed the Lordvessel, but she hasn't made the request; after telling me not to mention the Witch of Izalith, she's just saying "Pyromancy is the art of invoking fire, etc."

I don't think anyone's been able to figure out what exactly trigger's it. I've heard you can get it by killing the pyromancer before the Bed of Chaos and then running back to chat with her after you've bought all her spells and upgraded your pyrohand. I've also heard of triggering it by running back and forth between Lost Izalith and her a few times. You may also need to wear the Old Witch's Ring.

You absolutely do need the request to get the reward if you want to go that route (except when sometimes it will think you triggered the request and you get the pyromancy anyway). I usually just kill her for it. :shobon:

That lady's buggy as poo poo, I tell ya.

• Locked thread