Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I picked up this game yesterday, knowing a only a little bit about it and having some early game tips.

Today I murdered a big ol' armored boar and now I'm wearing its head.

I think this game seems pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Game mechanics question - is it possible to go to a boss arena to get your bloodstain and then retreat or do they seal off once you enter? I didn't think to try this when facing the Taurus Demon but now that I'm at the Gargoyles I want to be human to face them so I can summon NPC help. Even if it is possible it's probably easier and safer to just use one of my Humanity items but I'm curious.

I was doing well on my first attempt until suddenly I was on fire. I didn't even realize there was a second Gargoyle burning me until I was dead. :saddowns:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dreissi posted:

If you haven't upgraded your weapons and armor, I would try that before you try a summon. You can buy materials from the blacksmith, so no need to save them really.

I have! I just wanted to engage in some jolly co-operation because that chap with the sun made it seem like so much fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

None of the boss runs in this game are awful, unbearable slogs, but it seems like the worst of them are all right before problem bosses. The Capra Demon is another good example of a boss with a long boss run no matter which bonfire you're rested at (though I don't really die on him anymore, you probably will a lot on your first playthrough)

This is where I am now. The thieves and dogs in the lower Undead Burg are all really annoying to have to get past. I've only made two attempts so far but I'm already dreading having to go through there every time. The second time I tried just running but... that was a really bad idea.

The one time I've actually fought the demon so far he knocked me down immediately and then I was surrounded by dogs and died.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

When you get to the fog gate, take a right instead of going in. You'll open a shortcut to Firelink that way.

It's a longer run, but the enemies you have to get past aren't as bad.

:aaa: Thank you! Man this game is full of stuff like this. It's so neat. Like earlier I found a secret area down an elevator shaft with some nice treasures when I happened to notice that there seemed to be floor down where I originally thought there was just blackness.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

If you have Alluring Skulls or the sorcery with the same effect, the Capra can easily be distracted by it. In fact, he instantly switches to the source of the sound even in mid-swing so you can go through the fog, throw a skull/spell and take your sweet time getting up the stairs. It distracts the dogs too.

Ha, that's wild. If I'd known that it probably would've cut my attempts in half since it seemed to come down to chance whether I managed to flail my way to the dogs dying or not.

That said, once I finally got to fight the demon a few times by itself it was really satisfying to finally have it click into place and realize what I needed to do not to get hit.

Now I'm in a sewer and got eaten by a slime thing and then cursed by some bug eyed lizards that I thought were harmless the first few times I fought 'em. Oops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no the Depths has 3 whole boss doors to choose from, I am wracked with indecision. :ohdear:

Also gently caress those bug eyed frog lizards they are the worst enemies so far. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Odds are two of those "boss doors" are actually the same fog door that you're seeing from opposite sides. There's only the one boss door in Depths.

Oh are there fake fog doors or something? How silly! Well I'm pretty sure I know which one the real boss door is then. (It's the one that goes into that gigantic terrifying room that's going to have something really horrifying in it I'm sure.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

Yep! Take, for instance, the non-boss fog door between Firelink and the upper undead burg.

Oh you're right. I'd actually forgotten all about that, probably because at the time I hadn't yet made the connection that fog door = boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

legendsuper posted:

Enjoy your trips to the Parish if you get killed by one, buddy !

Three times so far. :negative:

Fortunately I finally figured out they're weak to fire so I stocked up on firebombs to kill 'em from a distance. And now I've completely cleared out the lower area as far as I can tell so I ain't going back down there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

(It's the one that goes into that gigantic terrifying room that's going to have something really horrifying in it I'm sure.)

It's worse than I could have imagined. :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I was expecting some huge creature but seeing him rear up was really something awe inspiring.

Nightmare inducing appearance aside, he's actually the first boss since the Asylum Demon that I've found easy. It still took a fair few attempts to figure him out (and apparently I can't fight a single boss without falling into a bottomless pit at least once) but once I realized I could force him to only ever use two attacks he went down really quick.

Then I was so pleased with my victory that I went and ascended my sword and buffed up all my other stuff to the max I can with only regular titanite shards and went to take on the two Black Knights. They went down without too much trouble and, feeling pumped, I decided to forge right on ahead. To Blighttown I charged confident nothing would be able to stand in my way...

and then a fat man stove my face in with a club.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stringbean posted:

I started my Fth/Str dude yesterday and decided to buckle down today. So I nabbed the sword and shield from the valley. Then killed Taurus, Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, Queelag, Pinwheel, and Iron Golem in a 2(or 3) hour session :(

Holy poo poo I don't even know where most of those are yet! I made another attempt at Blighttown but these fat men are really annoying so I'm thinking I might see if I feel like I'm strong enough to get past whatever that scary thing throwing lightning at me near the blacksmith was.

Also I just spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to equip a pyromancy spell before giving up and going back to a bonfire only to notice "Attune Magic".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Take a few minutes practicing parrying on the fat guys. Alternately, backstabs.

Oh right! Thanks for reminding me that parrying exists. I practiced it early on and it saved me a few times against the skeleton knights in Undead Parish, but since then I've gotten out of the habit.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

You can just run around that thing if you're only doing it to see what's on the other side.

That's what I just ended up doing. Got to Moonlight Butterfly and died but she doesn't seem too difficult so I'll give it another try later. I should probably look at my shields and see if I have one that's more effective against magic than the one I'm using.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow this game really starts to open up once you're strong enough to survive in multiple directions. My fear of the Fat Men in blight town led me to explore a whole bunch and now I've found like 6 different ways to remember to go at some point. Also got an awesome ring from someone I assume must be called "Havel the Rock" and now I can wear my boar helmet with impunity.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

That is literally the best ring, because it makes so many builds viable. Also, Havel is one of the hardest enemies in the game, so I think you should be ready for most everything the game can throw at you now. :thumbsup: Like, since you've beat Havel you really ought to have no trouble with the fat men in Blighttown.

I suddenly wanted to recommend the shortcut to you, but then I remembered that route has three of them in close proximity. :v:

I just cheesed Havel by avoiding his attacks and then smacking him once at a time. It took a while but I only died the first time.

And yeah the fat men aren't so bad after all once I followed the backstab advice. Heck the gross mole men or whatever they are killed me more times with their stupid jump attack. Though I'd love to know where this shortcut is because yuck I am hating Blighttown.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't really want to skip Blighttown. I don't think I can be satisfied without exploring everywhere.

Anyway it doesn't sound like that shortcut would help me much regardless. I've already made it to the first bonfire and proceeded a bit further down before taking a misstep and falling to my doom. So I may as well just keep forging on rather than go all the way back around through the garden.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

None of your level up stats affect your pyro damage. What you'll want is Vit, End and Dex because Dex increases casting animations.

Oh poo poo for real? I'd been focusing on Vit, End, and Strength as a Knight but I recently discovered that Pyromancy is awesome. I may have to think about putting some more points into Dex...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay thanks! I'll keep going the way I was already then.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You'll also need to find the slightly hidden pyromancer trainer to max your pyromancy flame level.

Is that the guy in the barrel who gave me the flame in the first place, or someone else?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That ring would've been really useful if I only knew where it was. Ah well, I've made it to Queelag already so there's no sense going back. I think I've got her measure for the most part, except I haven't figured out what to do about her area attack that keeps instant killing me.

I also had my first real invasion (as in not Kirk or Mildred) tonight! He kicked my rear end with giant lightning bolts and some kind of crazy super fast slashing attack. It also didn't help that he attacked me right when I got to the front of Queelag's Domain for the first time with three fat men with boulders also attacking me. It was still pretty exciting for all of the minute the battle lasted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sivek posted:

This is probably the best reason to not strictly attack her from behind or from an obstructed side-view since your vantage of her human form may be blocked

That's definitely the problem I'd been having. I'll try to figure out a better vantage point to attack from so I can figure out the tell for that attack. Thanks!

E: HAHA TAKE THAT SPIDER LADY! That was so close! She stopped spewing lava and just kept attacking over and over again and I used my last estus flask and decided to just charge in and slash away until she died.

And now I rang the second bell and a GIANT or something opened those big gates and now I'm basically in hell. This game is so cool you guys. Why did I wait so long to play it!?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 10, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

For all that is holy, go back up a little and check for invisible walls in the room that is below where you rang the second bell. It might not seem like much, even if you don't plan on playing that covenant, but the bonfire there is one of the only you can teleport to later in the game. And there are a bunch of shortcuts that will make the later game awesome.

Just please don't attack the servant.

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Fake walls is a pretty mean trick. I take it there are more of these in the game?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh good, now I get to choose between the route with 10 Capra Demons or 10 Taurus Demons.

I... think I'm done with Hell for now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I figured that gate was where the game wanted me to go. It's just such a loooooong walk back through Blighttown that I was hoping to find somewhere else to explore and maybe another shortcut or something.

I still haven't found the path between Blighttown and the Valley of the Drakes. Is it worth searching for that down here or should I just suck it up and start climbing back up?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd climbed all over the water wheel area before (getting the Fire Keeper soul, etc) but somehow I'd managed to miss one ladder that kept going up. What a relief to finally get to the safety of the Darkroot Basin bonfire.

That shortcut's pretty neat. If I hadn't gotten scared of the drakes when I came at it from the other end I could've gotten down to the bottom of Blighttown when I was exploring a few days ago. Though it's better this way since now I've already got Upper Blighttown totally looted and probably never have to go back there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Somebody murdered the Firelink Firekeeper. That's so sad. :(

It seems like I'm supposed to do something about this but the orb I found doesn't do anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I figured that out right at the beginning of the game. I'm currently at +2.

E: Oh wait in addition to reinforcing?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 10, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh okay good. That was explained pretty clearly when I first tried to talk to the Firelink Firekeeper.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just found an exposition serpent! Nice to finally learn what my mission is. Kinda. What does feeding him do?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A TREASURE CHEST ATE ME :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Incidentally, you should go back kick that treasure chests rear end. You never know what you'll get. It might even be treasure.

I did and then got crushed by boulders trying to get back out. Now I'm trying to work out where else to go.

I feel bad for poor Davos Onion Knight. Waited all that time for me to open the gates and now he can't outrun the boulders.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well through a series of very unlikely events and an insane amount of luck I somehow managed to find and kill the giant who opened the gate. Don't think that gets me anywhere important but it was fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HGH posted:

That one's pretty amusing. Falling to the bottom of the tar pits, rolling around to get away from all the Titanite Demons, and suddenly you find an invisible wall with a ridiculous ladder and an enemy but not the way out that you wanted to find.

Yep this is exactly what happened.

I've made it onto the battlements where another giant threw bombs at me and then got careless during a fight with a big shield knight and let him smash me. It's a long walk back but at least I know the route now and each run gets a bit easier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey, just as a word of advice. When you get to the battlements and are heading upward. You might have noticed one flat area where a dead body with an item on it is. You might also notice that the battlements are broken there, and their is a gap you could fall off from. I might suggest you try dropping off that, never know what will happen.

Found it on my next attempt.

Wow the Iron Golem hits hard. I keep dying from getting knocked off the edge.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You just need to practice! Try kicking the shield guys to break their guard. Don't worry, you'll get better.

I was dying to Hollows just a week ago myself. :unsmith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anor Londo! :swoon: Oh man I'm so pumped!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So uh... Sif is the easiest boss in the game right? I kept expecting him to pull another trick and kill me but he didn't and just let me get inside his reach and slash away.

(I know this isn't Anor Londo but I wanted to spend my huge mass of souls first and then noticed I could buy the Crest and well one thing led to another and now I murdered a wolf and some cats.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You might be right. The mythological figure was female: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My guess is that the boss you're all talking about is "the furtive Pygmy, so easily forgotten" because that'd be funny.

That or the Pygmy is the final boss. :shrug:

• Locked thread