Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Orv posted:

I even knew this and didn't update it. :smith: Thanks for reminding me.

However, I have heard that GFWL won't be unlocked for use until sometime on the 24th, so even though Dark Souls comes out in less than 20 hours now, it may not actually be playable for 24 or more from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've heard that the game runs properly for most reviewers, but there's no telling for all of us. If it isn't actually running that well, I get the feeling not many people will make it past Blighttown.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I doubt the 30FPS cap is going to be all that bad. Lately I've taken to using an outside program (MSI Afterburner On-Screen Display) to forcibly lock my FPS in games at about 30-35, which lets me crank the graphics whilst having a fairly solid gameplay experience without the FPS jumping around.

The real question is whether or not Dark Souls will run at a constant 30 or not.

As for Dark Souls spoilers, the way I see it, the console thread is open for general Dark Souls chat but not DLC chat, while this thread is for both in a limited manner until an indeterminate point in the future when everything can be expected to be common knowledge.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I have a nearly omnipresent lag in Dark Souls on my Xbox, but honestly I think my Xbox is slightly defective since it lags like that in a lot of games. I'm used to it. The worrisome part is that auto-disconnect - I'd be fine with Blighttown still dropping me to 3FPS like on Xbox, but not if it means my game kills itself.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It might be possible, but it could also depend on some other factors. Dark Souls will more than likely be able to be changed around using something like the nVidia control panel, which'll let you force AA or what have you, but I don't know how GFWL will interact with that, and I don't know how it may affect the overall FPS in the game until we've got it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Another way to get the PS3 controller feel is to get a Logitech controller, or to buy a PS2-to-USB adapter and use a wired PS2 controller if you have one.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I use a PS2 controller with an adapter as my PC gamepad, works really well. Since it has the same amount of buttons it should be fine. I wonder how the sixaxis gestures are going to work on pc though?

First you hit the select button, then you use the D-pad to select which one you want to execute, then you hit X. As far as I'm aware, the PC version is more than likely based on 360 version coding, so it probably will not have sixaxis support at all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

dreffen posted:

What the gently caress am I even watching?

I'm at work and I've watched this four times now and I don't even know what the gently caress

What you watched is Dark Souls. The true essence of it, what it does to you. The real Dark Souls has started here.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Holy Cheese posted:

....... so G to taunt yeah? Think I got it.

That's no taunt. You'll understand once you become one with the Dark Soul.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Today is a good day to get my internet replaced, poo poo took ages but I'm now pre-loading Dark Souls at 700kpbs instead of my old 300kpbs. Man, I'm excited for when I get come from class.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Almost anything is potentially viable in PvP. If the lag issues are sorted out on the PC version, well then, ANYthing aside from bare hands or the two broken hilts is viable. I've seen footage of dudes with whips - one of the worst weapons in the game - beating rear end in PvP. It's not about the power, it's about playing smart and having skill.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

So the game has been pirated already (lucky bastards) and word on the street is that its a bare-boned port as expected, Blight town seems to be in the same low fps it was before, and there are a few bugs here and there. I took away my pre-order based on what I heard and will be waiting a few days before I bother buying it, even if its only 40 bucks.

There were streams earlier that showed basically the opposite, including high-FPS Blighttown. Removing your pre-order, you probably lost a few bucks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MrTheDevious posted:

Can someone spoiler *where* the DLC starts and not what it is? I want to go in blind, but I don't want to pussyfoot around the whole game looking for it

I haven't pirated the game so I can't speak with 100% certainty, but more than likely it involves rescuing Dusk, possibly going down to Ash Lake, and the portal to the DLC content area will almost certainly be where Dusk was. Now that folks have cracked and pirated the game, though, you might be able to find better info elsewhere.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
^^^^I'm not using it, it looks fine to me with the AA off.

Man, the game is still loving great.

Astora's Straight Sword +3 and the Wolf Ring rocks socks in the Parish

I noticed it periodically dips to 28 or 29, but a solid 30FPS all other times. The only time that it went down below 28 is at the Hellkite Drake, its flames made me dip to 15 until it stopped breathing.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 24, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
So many summon signs at the Parish, it's beautiful.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Good(?) news, I don't know if anyone else posted it, but the BB duping glitch is fixed. I bought 999+1 wood arrows and it cannot be duped.

Danith posted:

I got myself embarrassingly killed because I forgot how to do the fall-stab attack.. how do I do this?

Whilst falling, attack.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 24, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Hmm, I've already done a dex character before. Do I want to do HULK SMASH strength or Sorcery for my first go, here? Or Faith perhaps, be a Sunbro and hurl lightning?

Someone decide for me, I am weak of will. :(

Sunbro with lightning. Go get the Dragon Crest Shield and Astora's Straight Sword ASAP, those'll set you up for a long time.

Has anyone tried the BB new character glitch yet? I'm interested to know if that one still works, since the other one's been fixed as near as I can tell.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Awesome. It'll be annoying to have to build characters from scratch, but the BB glitches being gone is going to do so, so much to keep invasions and even Sunbroing fresh in this game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't find that sword very remarkable even in the hands of my 50 faith sun...sis, but it's definitely my favorite LOOKING sword in the game.

edit: can anyone tell if the damage output from split-damage weapons has been adjusted/increased, so it can better compete with single damage weapons? That's the reason why the silver knight sword was still better for the character above.

With the lack of BB and whatnot now, stuff like the Astora Straight Sword become much more viable. A +3 rear end has twice the AR of a Claymore +0, doing magic damage as well as regular. That might not seem like much, but it's very easy to get the titanite for +3, and it does a pretty huge chunk of damage even with just the bare minimum stats to wield it. It'll be a while before people can get on to better stuff, so might as well make use of what you can get now!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

srb posted:

Game is running like a dream on my four year old quadcore and GTX 260. Much smoother experience than on my 360. Not sure what to tell you :(.

Just had a riveting ten minute fight in the burg with some guy, I ran up and bled and backstabbed him a couple times when he drank a flask, but for the most part I tried to just get in a hit here and there. He wasn't aggressive enough, I've been two-handing my knife or estoc a lot just to get people to be a bit more aggressive, but nope. :(

Newer players more than likely won't be super aggressive since they don't know just how well being aggressive can help them yet. They treat invasions like being attacked by hollows or something, and that won't always fly.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

BB is what? I missed the last, oh, 6000 posts in the old thread.

Lack of BB glitches, I should say.

The Mimic posted:

Oh poo poo. Maybe that's why my 5850 is going back and forth between fine and slow.

Anyone have some advice for Wanderers? I understood that they're somewhat of an advanced class and I'm fine with that, unless I miss out on anything really fun for trying it. I liked the potential versatility. I know absolutely nothing about the game though. Could I branch into Faith? Or pick up Pyromancy somehow? I found a huge rear end Zweihander and I was tempted to get the strength to use it, but the requirement is double what I have.

Literally ANYthing is available. Starting class just picks your armor and weapons for you. Aside from min/maxing, the only difference between every class is a couple of extra or less soul levels.

The trick with Wanderer, though, is dexterity, if you want to stick with the scimitar and similar weapons. You'll want to get yourself some poise but generally keep a fairly low equip burden, and you'll absolutely want a shield with somewhere between 95 and 100% physical block. Get good at parrying, and you can eventually branch off from curved swords to stuff like rapiers and knives, which will boost your damage whilst riposting, while also scaling well with dex.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 24, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

srb posted:

Bottomless Box, bonfire inventory management. BB glitching refers to a dupe and transfer method where you could get stuff from one character to another via the bottomless box, so you could load up a new character with lightning weapons, fully upgraded pyro flames, upgraded armour, and red eye orbs/humanities/divine blessings.

This, along with the other BB glitch, which allowed you to have infinite of an item as long as you had 99 or 999 +1. So let's say you had 99 humanities ground out, get one more, and boom, you can have infinite forever as long as you maintained that balance. This allowed people to BB glitch their inventories to new characters, and then as soon as they had access to a single item that they had 99 of - such as humanity, which you get in the Asylum - they will have access to infinite of that item.

Volt Catfish posted:

Did they fix the Dragon Head too?

I've heard yes, but I've not been down there yet to find out for myself and since BBing is gone I don't know if I'll be taking the time to grind the dragon stuff, unless there's a resurgence of people dragon dueling.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nebelwerfer posted:

Sounds like CPU problem or lovely optimization. I had this problem with ARMA 2 also and that game is notorious for being insane cpu-hog and leaking from every seam.

I've heard before that on consoles Dark Souls has CPU issues (Apparently that was the cause of most of the Blighttown lag, somehow), but in my own experience it might actually be an overabundant use of particles and sprites. The only time I've really dropped loads of frames so far is at the Drake bridge whenever I look at it while spewing flames. On console you'd notice similar stuff if you backstabbed close to a wall, the blood would cause the game to chug down to like 2FPS until the effect disappears.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Either drop rates have been adjusted, or I just got real lucky. Channeler's Trident off the channeler in the Depths. I think I know what build I'm going for now :smug:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
A well-upgraded crossbow can also do 300+ HP per shot. If someone isn't expecting you to quickly swap and shoot, you can easily turn the tide of a PvP fight. That's not even getting into the special crossbow, that thing is a wrecking machine.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DMBFan23 posted:

Is there a good source for information on the rebalanced items? Someone said the Eagle Shield is 95% block now, and if that huge hunk of poo poo isn't 100% block I don't know what is.

Oh well 420 target shield parries errday

No telling the full changes just yet, but I've been noticing drop rates seem well improved. I got a channeler's trident off the second one I killed, and I've gotten a load of man-serpent greatswords and flamberges out of Sen's Fortress with the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring equipped, with no liquid humanity.

All told, they more than likely changed everything that saw a shitload of action in PvP beforehand. The Dark Wood Grain Ring is nerfed, Eagle shield is nerfed, it wouldn't shock me if the Zweihander, Black Knight Great Axe, and Uchigatana (Possibly also the Washing Pole) are also nerfed in some way.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

redmercer posted:

Picked a thief, kind of stuck in Undead Burg. Up, down, or other, more further down?

Keep going forward. Go past the firebomb bridge, up some stairs to a small plaza, then down more stairs where a number of sword/spear and shield hollows are. You'll know that area because the crossbowhollow on the turret above you will start shooting you. When you get there, take stairs up, then keep going up. Eventually you'll hit the top of the wall, begin crossing that. When you reach the end of that wall, you'll have completed the first part of Undead Burg.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

cat doter posted:

high resolution stuff

So that's what the chain gear actually looks like.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MysteryNad posted:

Same, it's weird, I've never had problems this bad on the console version and summons were working amazingly last night after release. Was sometimes being summoned within a few seconds of dropping my sign. Today I'm seeing signs pop in and out too fast to activate them. Rooms full of signs just going blank. Summons failing constantly. Being summoned and having it just stop as the loading screen is about to pop up. Something must be up with the GFWL servers or something.

I was having bad problems with summoning last night - instant summoning fails when I try to summon people, getting messages about not being able to connect when I try to get summoned, etc. It only happened in one area, though, The Depths. Everywhere else it's worked fairly well, I even helped some dude beat O+S earlier (I'm surprised he waited for me, actually, I was AFK when he summoned me and stood around waiting until I came back instead of black crystaling me out).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Anyone else having trouble with SA's database dropping every now and then? Tried posting this earlier and it didn't go right.

So I decided to bump AF to 16x (No AA because I like performance) and pop on the resolution fix since it works now, and here's some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality of the .jpgs, I foolishly used Steam's overlay picture thing, but it shows some armor and how much better it looks with just those two changes.

Look at them medals.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Being that Domhnall is a travelling merchant, I think a lot of those are actually supposed to be an assortment of various coins from different regions.

Strange armor from the ancient land of Zena, birthplace of the curious dealer Domhnall.

The many medals are believed to symbolize glory.

Admittedly, they do look like coins and family heirlooms more than medals, though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

edit: I accidentally attacked and then eventually ended up killing a guy in the first bell tower(the undead parish one). Will anything bad happen to me as a result? I got a nifty item out of it.

Was he standing with his arms outstretched and wearing black?

Yeah. Yeah, bad things are going to happen to you, very bad things.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

gently caress!

I walked up to him and tried to talk; no prompt came up so I was wondering if he was an invading player or something. This won't affect my NG+, right? Just this playthrough?

Technically it will tangentially effect NG+, but the effects are mostly NG.

Spoilered for fun times!

He was Oswald of Carim. He's the main source for purging stones which remove curses, and for indictments, the only way to give invaders who kill you sin. He's also the only person who can safely remove you from a covenant which I think preserves your rank or something (I've never done it myself), and most importantly, he's the only person who can reset your own sin and remove the aggro from other NPCs if you happen to attack them. Having killed him, you lose access to all of that except for purging stones which can be bought elsewhere, and more importantly, you've gained at least one point of sin for killing him - which means you are now open to be invaded by Darkmoons, the blue spirits. The red spirits are the other type of invader, blue phantoms can only invade someone who has sin. Like you! Your sin will carry over until Darkmoons have killed you once for each point of sin you have, or until you remove sin via Oswald. Who's dead now. This sin will carry over into NG+ if a Darkmoon doesn't remove it for you now, and as you've probably been leveling up, it will cost a fuckload to get rid of it in NG+ from Oswald next time around.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Harry Joe posted:

God drat it, I just did that too. I think I've killed near every npc I've encountered so far though, I just can't resist my curiosity to find out what kind of stuff they might be carrying.

I should probably stop doing that.

Do that immediately before entering NG+ instead.

If you've killed Andre or the other blacksmiths, delete that character ASAP because you've hosed up unless you know all the ins-and-outs of the game and are very good at using unupgraded weapons or magic-only.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Wow, okay. Thanks. I'll be more careful in the future. Hopefully I won't get hosed over too badly by the phantoms who come for me.

If it ends up like the console version, Darkmoons will destroy you as fast as possible and without a hint of mercy or honor, because it takes them so long to invade a target.

Even better, unlike the other covenants, they don't have a level limit. They can be max level, the only thing that has to be met is that there's someone with sin for them to invade.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Rookersh posted:

Does the -Faith for Sunbros go down for all Co-op Boss fights you participate in? Or just ones you are a Phantom for?

I want to be a Sunbro, but am still picking up the ropes of the game, so I'm usually summoning people, rather then putting myself up for summons. It also doesn't help that I'm playing a tanky style guy without heals.

You have to be summoned as a white phantom, and you have to be alive when the boss is killed (And so does the host). If you get souls from the boss, then that event will lower the amount of Faith you need to join Sunbros. You can do this enough that the faith requirement functionally disappears, and even better, I'm pretty sure that unless it was changed, you unlock Sunbro-at-base-faith for any new characters you make, as well.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Speaking as someone who loves curved blades and wished there were more good special ones besides the Furysword, I'm pretty sure that thing qualifies as easily one of the best DEX weapons in the game.

A scaling, good base damage, loving bleed, and it's super light. All of this with the curved blade moveset or some variation thereof, rather than being stuck with the loving terrible katana R1 attack. The only question I have is how large it is, because if it's anything like the Painting Guardian Blade then a small size could make it not worth using.

If it's at least the size of a normal curved sword, I would be amazed if it doesn't automatically become one of the most-used weapons in PvP once more people get through the new content.

I don't like how people post stats, but never pictures of the weapons/armor. The Gold Tracer could be the best curved sword in the game, or it could have less range than a fist like the weapon you mentioned, rendering it worthless. We don't know without pictures or testimony!

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 25, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

darkgray posted:

This game is hopelessly unhelpful. I've been lost ever since killing some Gargoyles, and there's literally nothing to tell me what's next. I just wander around and die to strange ice dudes or lightning dragons or butterflies or whatever the gently caress the game throws at me. That includes horrible scythe ghosts and invincible skeleton ninjas. *sigh*

As soon as you get to Firelink Shrine it lands you in a place with the camera facing someone who literally tells you what to do for the first half of the game the first time you talk to him.

If you need more help on it: At the portcullis in the Parish, there's a body on the stairs with an item, "Basement Key". Check your inventory for this. Now, do you remember where Solaire was, right after killing the Taurus Demon but before meeting the Drake on the bridge? There's a door there. Use the key on that door and go down. Have fun down there, the next few areas will be a joy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The worst submarine posted:

Anyone wanna help a level 22 out with the ornstein fight? I'm stuck here and I've got one humanity left :(

If you can level up to 30 or 32 or something you should be able to get a lot more help there. I'm in that area around level 45 or so at the moment and I get summoned a fair bit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mindblast posted:

DS newcomer trip report here:

My first Dark knight or whatever it was was brutal and scary. The messages leading up to it encouraged all sorts of suicidal behavior. The way it was just standing there did not make me feel better upon approaching it. Cool thing was I got decent at reposte's or whateveryoucallit and succeeded by a sliver at the first try.

Then I ran into the Tautus Demon and now my bloodstain lies behind where it spawns :v: and that bastard pretty much oneshots me.

..I don't suppose blood stains stay after logging out? I don't wanna go back there :cry:

Last thing: Did Twin Humanity really just give me 2 humanity and thats it? I browsed the other items and thought that it may be a trinket to increase spawn rate or something.

I hit X out of habbit at the start and ated it right there. What a squandered gift. :downs:

The knight you killed was a Black Knight. They have a rare chance to drop their specific weapon, or to drop their Black Knight Shield. Around the end of the game you can also find their armor. Their weapons are very powerful but have high Strength/Dexterity requirements, so you have to build yourself around them. Collect them all, they're required for the rare weapons achievement.

Bloodstains last until you get killed again or until you retrieve your power. If you're in danger of dying but on your way to a valuable bloodstain, use the Dark Sign. This will destroy any humanity or souls on your person but it will NOT overwrite your bloodstain.

There are no trinkets in the game, the nearest to that are rings, of which you can wear two at a time. Humanity and Twin Humanities don't just give you 1-2 humanity, though. They also act as a full heal, which you can use while as a phantom of any color. Gonna have to learn that X is not attack - other games have trained you well, Dark Souls preys on those who can't relearn.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

TalonDemonKing posted:

Armor Spoilers

Atorias Armor Set, avaliable after you defeat Atorias for 20k souls apiece from Domhall.
http://imgur.com/a/WY1HQ#7

Still trying to figure out how to use his soul to upgrade into his sword -- It's not the broken hilt +10 from what I've gathered so far.

Looks like I was possibly right with a joke in the console thread. His armor doesn't seem to be that good overall. It seems to only be marginally better than, say, Silver Knight Armor, as far as I can tell. Biggest advantages is a low weight and high resistances versus Bleed/Poison/Curse. Does it upgrade?

• Locked thread