Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I finally beat the (I don't know if it's worth spoilering this) Capra Demon with the help of a random person. It only took me 15 or so deaths before I decided to get help. I spent about 20 minutes trying to summon a friend and having it fail. When they had to go, I just started trying random people. It still took a couple tries.

Please tell me that's the worst boss in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Are there any mods that revert all the various instructions at the start to PC controls? (Seriously, the laziest bloody thing). I can't even ESC to check the control in the menu, for some reason. Had to kill that first demon with a broken dagger and no shield because I couldn't figure out how to equip stuff.

Here's the one I use. It must use that exact file name (40fbc4ad.png).

quote:

1. You need latest DSfix installed
2. In DSfix.ini set enableTextureOverride value to 1
3. Put PNG file in "[your dark souls folder]\dsfix\tex_override"
4. IMPORTANT! PC version of DS have two different sets of buttons for switching in menus and ingame (when picking up items etc.). There is no way for me to make both sets work at the same time, so you will need to change keys so they match "Ins"/"Del" switching in menus. Sorry, cant do anything about this.

I edited this one slightly since it had RMB RMB instead of LMB RMB icons.

If you don't want to rebind keys, you'll have to use ENTER/BACKSPACE to navigate menus. If you want to use ESC to open the menu, you'll probably have to rebind "Open Start Menu" from Key Settings.

Good luck.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Sen's is such a fun place to invade in because of all the poo poo you can use to your advantage. Arrow traps, snakeman, narrow hallways and walkways, boulders, pendulums, and many opportunities to get surprise plunging attacks

A friend who's already beaten Dark Souls linked me this after I finished Sen's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2U-zKGMK-s

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think people try to summon for him very often because there's no easy/agreed-on location to look for signs (especially since it would be a fair bit from any bonfires) and people don't try to drop signs because there's such a huge chance that the host will just go through the fog gate and die before the summon has a chance to assist, so both sides have disincentives to making it work. I'm almost never human when going through there myself.

I saw a bunch of signs on the small bridge right by the fog door. That's where I finally managed to successfully summon someone to help me with the boss. I just survived until they got through the fog door and killed the dogs.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Hopper posted:

On the Topic of blacksmiths.
I am in the Undead Burgh and thanks to dying to the Taurus demon a lot, I have collected 3 Longswords, 1 Shortsword, several Battle axes, several Armor items and 6 Titanite Shards.

1. Is it worth having multiples of 1 Weapon?

Sure, why not. It's not like you can do anything with them other than drop them (until later) and as far as I can tell, you have a lot of inventory space and the items don't have weight when they are in there. Just put the extras in your Bottomless Box so you don't have to scroll through 20 longswords.

Hopper posted:

2. The Titanite Shards say +5 to weapon. I assume I need to wait until I meet a blacksmith to use them to power my weapons up?
Can I use multiple ones on say 1 Longsword? Or should I generally wait until I have a special weapon to use them?

The "+5 to weapon" means you can use multiple shards to upgrade a weapon to a limit of +5. You will need to use multiple shards on 1 weapon. And I personally waited until I found a weapon I liked before upgrading. If you like a weapon, might as well upgrade it. There are plenty of chances to get shards.

Hopper posted:

3. Someone wrote a message ingame next to the Merchant in Undead Burgh basically saying "Kill for weapon".
I already bought the Repair Box and Bottomless Box of him, I assume if I (somehow manage to be lucky and) kill him, he will be gone forever?
Will this butcher my story?

First off, don't trust the messages, especially if they say "Jump." That doesn't mean to just ignore them. Rather, assume the person who left it is up to no good. The merchant will be gone forever. As for butchering the story, I'm not sure, since I didn't kill him and I haven't beaten the game yet.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
My favorite glitch was stepping on a tree branch and getting flung halfway across the Blighttown Swamp.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Lazy Programming posted:

Where does it say that? That link is for age of empires online.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Gotcha covered.

From the main Steam thread.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Mailer posted:

There is some luck involved but it's nowhere near as bad as a few of the other bosses. It's really difficult on a blind playthrough. Once you know the mechanics it's just a boring routine followed by hoping that you don't eat two firestorm hits.

It took me four tries, since I was given some hints by a friend. First run, I got (spoilers for how to beat it) both side orbs, dropped into the middle, over-shot that orb with my attack and promptly died to fire before I could swing again. Second run, I slide down and as I'm sliding, fire appears at the bottom. I die before I can stand up or roll away (not that there was a safe place to roll). Third run I get clipped by fire, mistime the regular attacks and those kill me. Fourth run was fine.

Now the real fun was when I was summoned to help with the boss. I'll just say that the host died five times before I could reach the bottom of the ramp. I managed to convince the person they could beat it solo. I even had to link the first video I found on YouTube to show the proper way to drop onto the middle root since even though his English was decent, I wasn't sure if I could explain it well enough. Even then, it took a while.

After about two hours of trying, he ran out of humanity. That was when he started trying solo.

[Host]: this boss ... i will have nightmare about him tonight ....:-/
Polka_Rapper: Did you win?
[Host]: no i didnīt ...i try 5times and every killed me about 2 minutes :-/

The next day, I got this.

[Host]: hI :) Today i killed the tree :)

Being a SunBro is tough but rewarding work.

SynthOrange posted:

Frampt's teeth are the scariest thing.

I find it so funny that now and then I'll warp back to Firelink and he's just snoring away.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Are you unlocking your frames by any chance? When you re-enter the fight and Bed summons fire pillars, I don't think you're supposed to be able to get hurt by them, and I think unlocking FPS might do stuff to that, like Hellkite smooshing dudes in Burg or the Barrel guy in Burg dying to his own barrel.

It's not unlocked. I was considering it for a while since I have some FPS issues (mostly fixed with some DSFix shadow/DoF changes) but decided against it. The third and fourth run, the fire pillars appeared behind me on the slide, so I have no idea why they appeared at the bottom that one time.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
NG+ Four Kings are giving me trouble. After the first four (yes I know) attempts, I tried to summon some help. First summon died instantly because he didn't have his ring on. After 45 minutes of looking for another sign, the second summon Black Crystaled out as soon as he spawned. Third summon was a friend, and well, he lasted a bit longer than the second guy. I feel like I've hit a wall.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I know it's frustrating but goddamn that must have been hilarious.

It was. I think a big part of that was probably because I had only spent about 15 minutes waiting for that sign. The guy who BC'd out was also kind of funny because it was just a slap in the face.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nahxela posted:

What sort of build are you running? Perhaps one of us could offer more specific advice.

This one. http://mmdks.com/3qmw I have a few shields for different situations.

Also I'm playing KB+M and have FPS problems at times (which makes dodging a pain).

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Nahxela posted:

I'd recommend dropping one of those Great Fireballs for Power Within and going into the fight with that buff to help out your Great Combustion/Black Flame Damage. I might also switch out Great Fireball for a slot of combustion just because it's easier to use. What ring do you drop for the Covenant of Artorias? I think it'd be preferable to keep the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring to keep your Pyro damage as high as possible. You'll be fat rolling if you keep all of the same equipment, but I imagine you're more interested in poise tanking what with that 62 poise.

It's also worth doing a couple of extra things, like Kindling your bonfire of choice to 20 Flasks, get your Estus up to +7, keep some humanity on your hotbar just in case, etc. Also, it might be worth bringing your Vit up towards 40 or so, just in case, unless you don't want to level up that much. Up to you.

If you have FPS issues, have you tried playing around with DSFix's framerate settings? It can help stabilize your FPS for better enjoyment.

Power Within takes off way too much of my life with a Ascended +5 flame. I didn't know about poise tanking, and I had one terrible run where I was trying to fat-roll dodge. After reading your advice, I swapped Havel's for Bellowing Dragoncrest and didn't bother rolling at all. I beat them. Thanks for the help!

As for the framerate issues, I don't want to unlock my FPS. A week ago I messed around with some settings and it mostly fixed my problems, but certain areas and particles (I drop to 15 frames if I look at most fog doors) are trouble.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Also I don't get what you mean by PW draining too much. It just means you need to Estus a bit more. So long as you stay close you should be able to tank as long as you keep an eye on your health.

What it means is that the last time I used Power Within I had much less HP, and attributed the increased HP loss to my Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring or the Ascended Flame.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Power Within does a static % of your HP in damage over time.

Upgrading the hand used to affect the amount of damage it did but that was before the PC version and the patch that came to consoles shortly thereafter.

Yeah, one of the people I was talking to told me that upgrading my flame increased the self damage. I didn't bother looking it up since it was my blind (except for hints) playthrough. I'll have to start using it more often.

On a different note I'm level 90, probably about to jump to 98 tonight, and back with the SunBros. Where are some good areas to place my sign?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Arivia posted:

Why would someone need assistance on Seath? Just stay right behind one of the small tails and whack away. So easy.

Because all the crystals he spews tank my framerate. Chopping off his tail also does that until the shower of crystals stops. It was impossible on my own. It didn't stop me from helping a lot of people with him while I was in NG. I was at least able to hold my shield up and tank his hits, or throw fireballs at his back.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

No, you're right its most likely the glitch the doesn't reset your bonfire after a connection. Happens to me pretty often, usually when an invasion fails or right after one resolves. You can check to see if there's still an invader by looking at your homeward bones on your quick switch. They'll be greyed out if he's still there, and if they're not then just use one to fix the bonfire glitch.

Also check to see if you can quit from the menu. There's been a few times that my Homeward Bone/White Soapstone has been grayed out and I was still able to quit from the menu.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Gazaar posted:

Gonna go HARD on some invasions hopefully http://www.twitch.tv/gazaar

How often does that happen when invading in Sen's?

edit: The target just dying on their own, that is.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Huh.

You know how certain armor pieces impose a stamina recovery penalty when you equip them? It looks like there's a separate thing where they can also penalize how fast your poise bar recovers. For example, the Silver Knight Chest gives a penalty of 10% to poise recovery rate.

I've been using that piece throughout the whole game ever since I picked it up. :(

It looks good though, so I won't stop.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Uggghhhh. WHY must bosses have SO much poo poo between them and a bonfire? gently caress you, Sif. I hope I can get my 32000 souls back next time I play.

If you have one or two certain rings, you can stick to the right side and avoid pretty much everything. You'll first have to kill the cats though.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I've heard they do!

Oh god, which is it?! :ohdear:

Silver stacks, gold doesn't.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I've got a few questions about summons/being summoned. When I get summoned to help someone, will dying to something in a way that normally afflicts a status (Curse Frogs, Seath) affect my non-summon character? I haven't been cursed as a summon in The Depths yet, but I'm kind of wary since I don't actually know what will happen if I am.

I just joined the Forest Hunters on my current character for access to the katanas. I'm down in Blighttown swamp, helping people with Quelaag. If I actually use the ring and get summoned to the forest, where do I respawn if I either win or lose? Do I have to go find my bloodstain or anything?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Galick posted:

Dunno about the first, but if you win you're sent right back where you were at the start. If you die, you're back at the bonfire you last rested at and have to go get your bloodstain from where you were summoned.

I'll just stand by the swamp bonfire with my sign down and cat ring on then. Either way, I'll have fun. Thanks!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, I hate it when I screw up and a shitload of souls and/or humanity go down the drain. I ended up losing 17 humanity on a newish character I made and just lost interest in playing him for a while, so I switch to my main and did it TWICE, once right before Gwyn and again in the next new game + for over 500,000 souls pissed away. I know it's still my fault but now I feel fatigued after that.

:bang::bang::bang:

As I progressed through the game, I went from raging at losing 15k souls + 10 humanity to not batting an eye at losing ~400k souls and a large amount of humanity. By then, I had figured out hyperfarming (Painted World + Chasm of the Abyss/Depths), so it was only a half hour's work to replace it. I still don't like losing them, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

kazil posted:

You should just get used to repairing more often or buying a repair kit.

Stocking up on repair powder is also a good idea. It won't fix everything, but it will save you when your main weapon breaks.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Genocyber posted:

e: It is actually possible to never die from Power Within; it involves having base Vit, dusk crown ring, and being cursed. Because your max HP is so low, the drain from Power Within is actually low enough to be completely offset by the Sanctus. Manage to get your hp low enough and you have perma RTR and PW.

Well, I found a video of that in action. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWTJzOss94

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I didn't have any idea what I was doing when I started this build, and I'm not liking it. I intended it to be a low level co-op build but I went to 24 STR/DEX for the Dragonslayer Spear (which I like, but it doesn't seem to do that much damage even at +5). The other weapons I have lying around are a Divine Zwei +5, and a BSS +14. Is there a way to salvage this build, or should I just start with a new Faith character?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Thanks, I might just do that and see if I start having fun with it. I'm currently 50/50 on either keeping or deleting the save. I'll probably start a low level Cleric anyway.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Aww man, it seems the mouse fix isn't working. I just loaded up one of my saves, and I couldn't control the camera with my mouse at all.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Even though I can't really play without the mouse fix, I decided to grab the updated DSFix and see what happened when I unlocked my FPS to 30. I hadn't unlocked the FPS before today.

It turns out one of the areas that previously dropped me to 15 FPS actually stays at 27 FPS. :negative:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Or just hit them with any ranged thing so they jump backwards into the abyss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntaDzWOHFVU

I laughed so hard after I did that the first time.

Time_pants posted:

Anyone feel like running 4K right now? Friend me on GFWL. My username is CitricAunt12

It helps if you tell us what level you are. :ssh:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Raygereio posted:

With the DSFix and Mouse Fix linked in the OP, the keyboard and mouse controls function fine.

The problem however is that the last patch broke the Mouse Fix and it hasn't been updated yet. If you really don't want to use a controller, you can still play the game on the previous patch version. The downside is that you can't have any online interaction (unless it's with someone who's also playing on the previous patch version).

There was a unofficial update for the mouse fix. http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/864979455329386779/

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

CloFan posted:

I was doing the Tomb of the Giants earlier, and have two questions.

First, at one point (after being kicked off the ledge) I found a tomb that looked much like Pinwheel's tomb. There were two archers covering the entrance, so I quickly dropped down the hole. Inside, there were a ton of giant skeletons.. I killed three, then two more came up and killed me. I never went back to that area, as it seemed pretty much like instant death.. what's in there?

Second, I found the chick and killed her two hollowed guards; how do I get her back to Firelink?

In the death pit there lies a useful ember.

For the second, just talk to her. She won't appear at Firelink however, but at a place of worship. And you'd better find her quickly.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

kazil posted:

"Useful"

(After catacombs, divine weapons suck and only really useful for Nito and for that they don't need to be +10)

Argh, I mixed it up with the very large ember. No point in getting that one then.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Traveller In Time posted:

So what's the deal with DSCfix post-patch? I'm hearing conflicting reports on whether it is needed, or even works.

It worked when a friend summoned me. Without it we can't even see the signs. Take this secondhand anecdote from a stranger on the internet as proof that it works.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Artificer posted:

Edit: It's going to be a really long wait until my next summon here, isn't it. :smith:

At least you can farm humanity/slimes while you wait. It's not as bad as waiting to be summoned at Capra or various other places.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Just lost 40,000 or so souls and 19 humanity because my bloodstain spawned in the air so I can't retrieve it. The serious bugs in this game are infrequent, but devastating. :smith:

Was it by the Iron Golem? That's the only place I've seen that happen.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

tcp ip fanfic posted:

I do not think DSMFix has been updated to work with the most recent patch. The OP might want to mention that.

I posted that a while back. It's been working perfectly for me.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Artificer posted:

I haven't gotten the friend summoning thing to work yet though so it may not be worth the trouble. Good lucl!

Do you mean DSCfix? Because I might be able to help with that.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Still Doesn't work. I have GFWL open in the background and I have nothing plugged into my USB slots. I'm launching the game for the first time after downloading it but the stupid thing wont go past the black screen with the bonfire on the left corner. Hmm...

Just to double check, you are running it vanilla, correct? No mods or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Artificer posted:

Where is a good place to get some more of the titanite I need to upgrade my +7 Zweihander?

Those slimes by the bonfire in the Depths drop Large Titanite Shards sometimes. I'd suggest using fire to kill them.

• Locked thread