Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I like the winged spear myself, but you need to morningstar-riposte your way through a pack of skeletons in the Firelink graveyard and run like hell when the giant pile of bones wakes up. They won't follow you into the temple ruins, at least.

While putting off the Tower Gargoyle fight, I decided to brave the ghosts of New Londo and liberate the parrying dagger. I started as a knight, so this thing rules.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Got invaded by a KewlFace42. Solaire's helmet and all. Stood there bowing at me in front of the Parish altar. Assumed he wasn't there to duel exactly in a good faith, so I just shrugged. The next thing I know I'm being backstabbed by Smough's hammer. Never even saw him move.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I can't find the next bonfire after the Undead Burg one though, where is it?

The next one is all the way in the Undead Parish. However, there's shortcut underneath the midpoint of that big stone bridge to the one you've been using all this time. Kick down the ladder.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh and that parrying video up there somewhere owns. I never thought that I could do that poo poo to Havel until oh what do you know your fuckoff petrified club done snagged on my dagger. :clint:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Call Now posted:

What do I do with the Enchanted Ember? None of the blacksmiths will take it from me.

Head to Firelink, go down the steps and the elevator to the New Londo Ruins. Find the Hollow zombie lounging on the edge of the tallest cliff, looking out toward the flooded ruins. Go down the steps to find a prisoner in a cell.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

For those of us dopes with tunnel vision that don't tend to glance up at the health bar, the fact that you're glowing like the sun in mid-fight is great shorthand for "retreat, dipshit!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

:woop:
He really is kind of a pushover once you get into the rhythm of things. And stop fatrolling for one fight.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's manageable, but much worse. Sinking an extra $20 for some Logitech PS2 copycat along with this thing is completely worth it, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Okay, my the fps in this game is weird. My gpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, but if I don't use that dfix thing I can usually get 30 FPS, but the framerate will drop randomly then go back up to 30.

Also, I just got to the outside area and met a paladin-type dude. Learning miracles from him requires joining his covenant, which will abandon my current. Do I, from the start of the game, already have a covenant?

I think the only covenant you can belong to from the start is the Way of the White, the one he's asking you to join. You can leave without much repercussions, too.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Industrial posted:

I was nervous about upgrading because I didn't want to waste my titanite, is it fairly easy to get more? Is the spear or winged spear a decent choice to upgrade? I use the....thief knife (forget actual name) on most enemies but it does nothing to the gargoyles.

As long as you have souls, you have titanite shards. To save you a little trouble, the large ones are dropped by slimes and swamp leeches for the most part.

The winged spear hits marginally harder than the ordinary one, in exchange for less Strength/two-handing bonuses, an extra kilogram of weight and harder stat requirements. If you started as a Thief or are otherwise in good Dexterity, it's as great a spear as any to +5 early on.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yes. The only stat that being not-hollow improves is curse resistance.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Opps. :cripes:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

So I found a Black Knight longsword on my Deprived strength build duder and eh uh I think I broke the game. Nothing else even comes close at this point (just before Depths).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The stone giants only have something like 200 hitpoints, they just have massive slash/pierce damage resistances. Whack them with a club a few times and watch them crumble.

The moth doesn't like fire at all, but you need a lot of health, a fool's luck or a high magic resistance shield to weather its crystal ray volleys until it lands for a bit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I like the Zweihander. Two-handed R2 is just an overhead smash that crunches undead soldiers into the ground in the same way the Asylum demons smooshed you on the first few tries.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

... are you wearing metal leg-warmers?

Balder leggings, motherfucker. They're just dingy shinplates with some leather undies.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The quickest way is forward (there's a shortcut at the bottom), but honestly, I'd just backtrack through the depths to the Parish and buy Andre's repairbox with the souls you make from clearing the way back.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

..Wait, there's a merchant in the Undead Burg? Where at?

Right near the Burg bonfire. Kill the two spear undead outside and roll through the crates to reveal some stairs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm guessing there's something wrong with your connection. I get a bunch of summon failures and many times the bonfires going out and the whispers starting up end with nothing happening, but there's definitely people playing this here.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's no excuse to not having pyromancy at that point in the game.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ninja set.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The strength of the Balder shield is its stock stability. It's as good as a +5 kite shield without any upgrades, but when you titanite them both to +15, it's only 1-2 points ahead. The non-physical resistances are also pretty low. Magic protection especially is really terrible.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

He gives you 1000 souls, just to put his rank in perspective. If you're really insistent on whacking him at this point, stay to his left as much as possible. He doesn't like lightning one bit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Sober's talking about the titanite demon.

Yes, he is? :confused:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there any upgraded greatswords better/stronger than the Black Knight Sword +5? I'm sure there are, but I want to know which ones are worth it. I have 40 STR and 29 DEX if that matters.

The man-serpent machete gets mentioned from time to time. It loses about 60 base damage, but gets an A to strength scaling. The R2 moves also aren't as ponderously slow. The BK greatsword deals exactly as much damage, but scales to strength with a B instead of C.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Once I realized that they can't parry jump attacks (or sorcery and pyromancy, obviously), that stance got way less irritating.

Parrying also has a maximum range, so careful spear-poking also works. Horfing a little Sunny D in front of them also gets them back on the offensive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Avian Pneumonia posted:

So I'm also at the point in Andor Londo where you have to sprint up a buttress while being fired at by two powerful archers.

...and I have no ranged weapons or spells.

What is my best and fastest option to acquire something that can take them down?
Is there any alternative way of dealing with this area?

You swallow your fear and run right up! There's a Hero's Soul behind the guy on the left, progress is to the right. Once you reach one of them in melee engagement range, he'll stop shooting and the other one's line of fire to you will be blocked. The hard bit is running on that tiny little ledge and surviving the 1-2 dragon arrows to the back before you make it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I can't talk for the heavy deflection bit, but you're hard pressed to find 75% lightning protection anywhere else at that point. I don't like it that much because it only blocks 95% of physical.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Is there anything I can do to mitigate the lightning damage from the serpent mages? I'm thinking about swapping out Grass Crest for a shield that reduces lighting damage and wearing whatever armor would have the same effect, but I'm not sure what's available at this stage in the game.

I don't know about what the nagazard stuff counts as, but the Eagle shield's 75% lightning defense is the best you can have at that stage.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No. The only shortcut is accessed from the very bottom of that rickety clusterfuck. You're going to be stuck away from the sun for a while.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Spent a while doing themed cat invasions. The highlight was actually getting a guy in the Stone Guardian getup. Too bad most of the rest were all the same guy, ninjaflipping around in Havel's armor and swishing around a dragon greatsword. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

pentyne posted:

Are those people cheating, or is their endurance stat maxed out and they use Havel's ring?

99 END and both burden-reducing rings at the same time only allow medium rolls with that setup. And since he was doing ninja rolls all the way (Dark Wood Grain Ring, replaces fast roll), he was haxxing like heck.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

How much liquid humanity is good for farming humanity from rats? I really want to stockpile before I get any further in to Anor Londo.

1 humanity ups your itemfind from 100 to 150. The other nine raise it in 6-8 point increments to a maximum of 210.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's the aftershock of somebody kindling a bonfire near you. It gives you an extra Estus swig.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Captain No-mates posted:

Also whats a good strength weapon near the start of the game, I've upgraded the starting axe to +5 but it seems pretty slow.

Club scales wonderfully, but the moveset makes me pull my hair out. The two big swords mentioned above are some trickery away, but Andre sells his own brand Bastard Swords for 3000 souls. It's almost exactly like the Claymore, but it hits a little bit harder in exchange for no thrust moves.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Gaping Dragon isn't really that hard. Also, the Depths are miserable enough that people don't tend to wander around down there in human form. I got invaded a few times, though, but that could just be bad luck.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

UnholyCow posted:

Having fun with a STR build and am finally understanding the love of the Zweihander. A strong attack that tells most enemies to go gently caress themselves is so great.

Wait until you hit Anor Londo. Pummeling silver knights flat on their faces with single blows feels incredibly satisfying.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Atomicated posted:

Well trying to gift this to my friend may not have been a great idea. He says he may be done after having played it for 90 minutes. He somehow missed the starting weapon on two different characters and was trying to chip away at the Asylum Demon with a broken sword hilt.

Does he make a living commentating Call of Duty on YouTube? This is an earnest question.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I'm considering going down to the flooded area with the ghosts. How long do Transient Curses last?

Long enough that you sorta lose track just as they run out. 90 seconds, two minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Did anybody ever figure out what the Pendant did? I remember the witch ring lets you talk to Quelaag's sister and the Binoculars were just for screenshots, but last I checked that was a big mystery.

It was all just Miyazaki loving with people.

• Locked thread