Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Do I need to be playing through this with a guide, at least to character builds or something?

I'm really not all that far in, and I'm still terrible (currently dying to the Taurus Demon.) I'm using this Rapier I bought off a merchant, as opposed to the Estoc I found, and running around with the Spider Shield and no magic killing things. Is there something in particular I should be thinking out before I spend more souls or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ick.

This game is being frustrating.

What determines what bonfire you spawn at when you die? I went across the bridge after the Taurus Demon and sat down at the bonfire down there, even used it to level up. Then I poked my head into what I'm guessing is a lower part of the Undead Burgh and found the Undead Parish. And then I proceeded to die to poison after seeing what's on the other side of the bridge and finding the second giant black knight dude.

The problem is, when I died I respawned all the way back at the bonfire in the Undead Burgh, what the hell? Is that a bug or did I miss something?

Also is there anything I can do about the end of the bridge with the dragon and the random piles of loot on it? It's tempting, but of course if I go straight forward I just get burnt and die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

The bonfire you rested at is the same bonfire you spawned at. Look around you carefully and you'll see the ladder that leads back up to the bridge.

:aaaaa: Was that always there?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I got this crazy sword by arrowing off a dragon's tail somehow.

It one-shots things but has no scaling. Oh well I guess it's an excuse to level endurance and vitality a bit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so I just found a blacksmith in the Undead Parish. But now I'm totally confused. What's different between that guy and the one I found in (New?) Anor Londo? Isn't there a kind of blacksmithing upgrade you're not supposed to do? How do I tell different blacksmithing stuff apart? Coming from D&D it all looks the same so far - just +1 and so on.

Is blacksmithing worth doing right now or should I wait for something better than my rapier or estoc?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aaaaa the gargoyles and the FIRE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Fucks sake, I'm playing on a laptop and I've never gotten a bad frame rate drop.

I've had some, and I'm on the most recent MacBook Pro! Happens differently for everyone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

People have already answered this, but let me point out that there's no one you can kill that will butcher the story. You might feel bad about what you did, but that's your own baggage. In general it's best not to kill vendors (and especially blacksmiths) since you might lose access to items, but if you're going to kill any of them the undead merchant is probably the best one. Drops a pretty decent sword, doesn't sell anything that other people don't as well.

Also, killing people will give you a line or two of dialogue you would never hear otherwise. If you want to juice every single piece of content from the game, you NEED to murder every person you come across -- but I'd definitely say not to do that until you're on the run up to the last boss.

And while we're on the subject, if you stab someone by accident there's a way to pay back into their good graces, but only after you ring the first bell.

Yeah I'm gonna need to use this, accidentally tapped my touchpad while I was next to the blacksmith in the parish. Cue me losing a very quick fight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What's a usual soul level to end your first playthrough at? I'm stuck on the Capra Demon, and I'm already SL 28.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you get framerate drops while running through the water in Firelink? If so, you should turn on DSFix's framerate unlocker, but set its cap to 30 fps so you don't end up with all of those crazy 60 fps things.

This worked perfectly, thank you for the tip. Time to die to Capra Demon some more. I have killed the dogs once and done not much else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is the Stone Armor set viable for the whole game? I may start a second strength playthrough after this first one just to be a giant stone monster.

edit: also holy hell moonlight butterfly is cool but I have no idea how you'd even hit it

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 11, 2013

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Yes, as long as you are able to medroll in it. I mean I'm sure thousands of people can and have beaten Dark Souls at SL1 fatrolling the entire way, but if you are looking for a good set of armor then yes stone armor is good. I'm rolling stone armor for PVE on my current build, but I switch to the eastern set for PVP because I like the way it jingles and jangles.

Moonlight butterfly is when I figured out there are NPCs you can summon for bossfights during my initial no-walkthrough playthrough. :toot:

Huh, I wandered up there unhollowed and didn't see any summoning signs. Are they hidden?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Forgall posted:

In the bushes under the stairs.

ooooo. Well, going to see if I can kill Havel first and then maybe take another shot at Capra. Man I am excited, exploring in this game is so cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I ran past the big lightning demon, and made it a little ways into the Darkroot Garden. Then I found four red frog/stingray things, and a huge dude with a huge sword. I'm back at the bonfire by Andre now. :shobon: I'll try taking on this lightning demon.

The easiest way to do it is to grab a bow and rush to the far side, then take pot shots from the doorway. One shot, get back behind the wall, repeat until it's dead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just got to Blighttown for the first time. :stonk:

That place is super-cool and scary, and tough. Man this game is rad amazing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh god Blighttown. Oh god Queelag. I want to be done here so I can never see it again until next playthrough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yay I killed Queelag.

Is there anything I'm really gonna miss out on by going Chaos whatever for a covenant? I'm just doing Dex stuff and I want to save my buddy Solaire since apparently that's a thing eventually.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ahahahahaha.

I was so excited to finally be out of Blighttown that I fell down a hole in New Londo and died. And now I need to climb the whole way out again. :darksouls:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't even gotten to any of the stuff people usually hate in Sen's Fortress and I can already tell this place is rough. Jeez. :psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How far in is the first/only Catacombs bonfire? I'm thinking about doing that before taking another swing at Sen's, but I have no bonfire at Firelink right now so that makes the run a pretty long one from the Parish or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Right, that makes things a lot clearer. I'll be kindling some fires then. Got a crippling estus addiction to feed.

Yeah, don't worry about humanity too much. To give you an idea, I'm four or so areas ahead of you and I didn't worry about dropping seven humanity to get some summoned allies to help me out with a boss.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wow I am really bad at everything to do with Sen's. Like I can't read the snake enemies at all and stuff like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

A word of advice: Snakemen have a pretty big windup to all of their attacks, which gives you more than enough time to just walk around them and make them look silly by backstabbing them. Also, they have huge physical resistance so backstabs and parries are probably the easiest way to kill them.

Oh, that explains why I feel like I'm fighting with a q-tip with my BSS +10.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Well, I'm getting through Sen's slowly. I can take down snakes now! I haven't found the bonfire, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm disappointed the boulder-dropping giant in Sen's respawns. I get why, but it's still disappointing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

No he doesn't?

Not the one that throws boulders down on you when you're traversing the roof, but the one that throws boulders down the tracks inside the fortress itself. If you leap off the top platforms where you can access the merchant, you can just reach that side and kill that giant. He respawns, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Galick posted:

The Gaping Dragon has been fisted to my satisfaction: to death. I ended up getting a Caestus+10 to handle it (and to turn into the Dragon Bone Fist later) and it wasn't as hard a fight as it was when I was first raging about it here, it was still loving long. Doing less than 100 damage to that thing at a time makes things a bit more tedious.

Now then, I'm going to go skip Blighttown because gently caress every last thing in there. I don't need any of it.

Don't need the firekeeper's soul on the way to New Londo?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Crosspost from the console thread because really it can't be overstated:

BLIGHTTOWN :argh:

I had this happen to me while I was on Skype with my boyfriend. I was getting really frustrated at dying to Quelaag a lot, so I took a pause standing on the closest island to her cave before running past the barbarians. Cue a rock flying out of the darkness and one-shotting me. I couldn't help but laugh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Well I took a wrong turn inside Anor Londo and ended up in the Painted World. Now I have no idea how to get out!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
But the pass/fail parts of this game are the best part!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Yes, Bed of Chaos was a wonderful boss encounter.

I'm not there yet. But I did feel kind of cheated when I did Gaping Dragon on my first try without dying.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Isn't the Catacombs boss Pinwheel, or did I just :thatsthejoke: myself?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh poo poo the parrying dagger want that/want to try that

First I need to get out of the Painted World, though

Is there a trick to getting all these items out of random broken floating doorways in there or do I just need to land a very very hard jump like I've been failing to do?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

You can drop down from the rooftops ;)

Huh okay I need to get to the rooftops first then! The giant tumour hollows are creepy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hopper posted:

It was rather easy for me. Took 3 tries. Two if you dont count me getting butchered when I first went through the fog door expexting just another sectiono f the level. All I will say is make smart use of the stairs.

One thing that got me is that you can go all the way to the right. Like don't worry about it, just go right and you'll hit the wall and be fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also ugh the Painted World. It's like Phalanx from Demon's Souls except I have no idea what to do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my god I just got to THOSE ARCHERS for the first time. I just died while laughing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
AaaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAAa Ornstein and Smough are hard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

Trying Artorias as my pyromancer. The fight is really a lot of fun, and I think the DLC bosses are the best designed bosses in the game.

That said, gently caress the run back. Why do all the bosses in the game have to be a mile away from any bonfire?

O&S is 2 small fights and a juke from the bonfire, that's not far.

Also man I have done the thing with Frampt and now there are way too many places to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Galick posted:

Nonono. It was the director. He's also the one who had a hand in Mimics :allears:

The first time I got et by a mimic I was all "THAT'S BULLSHIT" and then I realized no, that's just :darksouls:

This game is so good.

• Locked thread