Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I (randomly) left a summoning sing in Darkroot Garden, just after the door you need to open with the crest. Someone summoned me and ran towards the boss of the area (Sif), so I followed him. However, when we got to the fog door, he didn't go through it and was gesturing for something I really couldn't understand.

Was there something I was supposed to do? Is it even possible for me to follow him through the fog door? Something else? This was the first time I've been summoned so I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to work.

Later on we were invaded by someone who I almost managed to kill, but he managed to backstab me one last time before I could finish him. But fortunately, the dude who summoned me killed the invader right after that. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Flat damage reduction is, in general, a gigantic pet peeve of mine because it leads to some really stupid consequences in a lot of games. The new Fallouts are where I really started hating it THAT much (New Vegas did flat damage reduction really, really terribly in a way that makes most weapons useless come lategame), and I think that percentile damage reduction is a universally better system.

The only reason D&D 3.5E gets a free pass from my scorn is because it's a pen and paper game, so you have you calculate your damage in your head. Percentile damage reduction does not lend itself to speedy mental calculations of damage dealt, while flat reduction does. In any video game though, there's no reason for flat reduction

You're so very wrong. Getting rid of Bethesda's percentage based damage reduction (read: hit point multiplier) was one of the best features of New Vegas. Pure percentage based damage reduction scales horribly (Skyrim) and makes every other attribute of a weapon than pure DPS moot. The flat damage threshold system in New Vegas, original Fallouts and Dark Souls enables great deal of tactical variety in weapon/ammunition selection and is infinitely more interesting than just a effective hitpoint multiplier.

E: Percentage-based damage reduction can work well when used judiciously (like 20-30% max) and when used in combination with some other mechanic, such as flat damage reduction.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 6, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Man, Arturias is kicking my arse. Most bosses in the game haven't given me too much trouble (beat O&S on my second try, etc) but this must be my fifteenth death on Arturias. He sure as hell doesn't give you many chances to attack him or to chug estus safely.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I just beat the game for the first time (and loved it) with a dexterity-based character who also dabbled in faith a bit after I got dex to 40. I pretty much used the Uchigatana and Balder Side Sword for the entire game.

I'd like to try out something new and perhaps make a character that would hide a little less behind a shield. Any recommendations, build or equipment-wise?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Third try is not the charm here. I followed the :black101: advice someone gave and grabbed the Zweihander from the Graveyard. Kill the Taurus Demon and decide to give Havel a visit. Ten tries or so later (with several tries where I was one backstab short of killing him) I decide to even out the fight with the Gold Pine Resin I found from the burg chest.

But like clockwork, Havel flattens me on his first swing each time I try to use the Resin. :darksouls:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I loving love two-handed weapons already :black101:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112764654

E: Three-hitted the undead burg black knight. Why didn't I try this before. :stare:

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

What kind of armor should I be using with a fast-rolling Zweihander character? Grass Crest shield seems to be a must-have but other than that I'm not really sure what the good light armor sets are.

Currently wearing the starter Bandit armor.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah I don't want to overtly optimize it or anything. Just something that looks cool and isn't the Worst Armor in Video Games Ever.

E: And probably not the Elite Knight set either. I used it on my first character for pretty much the whole game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

What the hell I keep invading people as a dark spirit when I use the White Sign soapstone. This is like the third time in half an hour. :wtc:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I got Target Destroyed and humanity. And yes, it's great fun either way.

On an another note, while I was sunbroing, I saw an invader in in full Havel's and he wasn't fatrolling either. I'm only level 18, so the invader must've been cheating, right?

Edit: VVV Yeah, he was. The whole shebang.

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 11, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Tallgeese, I wanted to kill some more gargoyles. :qq:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I'm sunbroing at O&S. Is there some community agreement as to which boss to kill first? Usually, the player will take Smough while I'll be taking Ornstein, and more than often I can kill Ornstein a lot faster than they can kill Smough. I haven't received any angry messages yet, but I'd like to make sure I'm not breaking some unwritten rule here.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Just upgraded my MSGS and DGM to +15. Both weapons are great, the only problem is that I can't even wear the Crimson set and fast roll while using the DGM (40 END). :staredog:

I'm guessing that I should forget the ring of favor and protection and just use Havel's ring and the Wolf ring, if I want to have a decent Poise, DGM and still fast roll?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think I would mind that. Whenever I aggroed multiple butts, they just killed each other.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I think I get "man mode" now. 4 or 5 shotting bosses with Power Within and Demon Great Machete never gets old. :staredog:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Is it possible to get Kalameet's tail solo? I never seem to be able to get to his backside fast enough.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Manus and Kalameet. :staredog:

I beat both on my first try with my first elite knight armor, balder side sword and silver knight shield character but holy crap they're kicking my arse now. This time I'm using just robes, a big-rear end sword (MSGS or DGM depending on the mood) and a grass crest shield on my back. But somehow I just can't seem to be able to dodge their attacks.

I guess the real dark souls started here. :negative:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I had good summoning luck at the gargoyles at level 20 or so.

Managed to finally beat Manus. Still no co-op luck for Kalameet though, and it doesn't look like I'm good enough to get his tail solo. Where do people generally leave their summon signs for Kalameet?

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

An updated version of the no-logo mod is out:

http://blog.gib.me/2012/12/20/dark-souls-no-logo-hack-forpc_2012_08_09/

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Finally beat Kalameet with the two-hander dude. I think the trick was to use stone plate ring. That extra defense really almost seemed to halve the damage he did to me.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Lore question: is Blighttown related to the Great Swamp?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

xanthan posted:

So any advice for the Capra Demon? Thing just bumrushed me.

Kill the dogs ASAP. The stairs are a friend.

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 28, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Mage_Boy posted:

So I just finished everything except farming Titanite Slabs to make my Elite Knight armor +10. Is it really worth doing this or should I just go on to NG+? Also, I know bonfires stay kindled, so should I run around and kindle with my 10 liquid humanity, or does that stay with me as well?

I'd say it's worth it, although I'd prioritize upgrading your main weapon to +15, if necessary.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Sometimes I hate myself. I want to play a sorcerer-like character, but I just can't decide what kind of weapons I want to use. :staredog:

E: VVV I love the melee combat too much to forgo it completely. I guess what I want I really want is a spellsword, or something like that.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 29, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I just found out that parrying Havel is really easy, although his fast attack can surprise you if you aren't careful. But luckily he uses it fairly rarely.

4 or 5 parries with my +5 claymore was enough to kill him, even a crappy player such as myself can manage to do that.

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 29, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Which fast attack? Do you mean the Back+attack one? It's pretty predictable too when you know he is doing that kind of attack.

I'm not sure, but he has at least one attack where the swing is significantly faster. I'm guessing there is a tell to it, but I haven't noticed yet what it is.

E: Yeah, I think it is the backstep + attack combo. I think I've always been too nervous to notice that he steps back. :tinfoil:

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 29, 2012

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Wait what, I just realized you can upgrade your pyromancy hand past +15. No wonder those other players were doing so much more damage.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep! Of course, there is nothing to indicate this in the game. Also the only person that can do this is an obscure NPC located in a weird spot in an area you will most likely have cleared before hitting one of the triggers for her to show up. Also she is the only source of advanced pyromancies as well!
I've met her in both my previous playthroughs (and bought most of her spells), but I guess I just never tried the 'modify equipment' option with her after my glove was already upgraded to +15. :iiam:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Did some co-op at O&S. Suddenly I have enough XP to level up from 55 to 70. :stare:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

I hate lost izalith, over 100k souls lost in like 30 minutes I've been playing there.

I upgraded my Pharis Bow to +10, equipped the Hawk Ring and just sniped the dino butts from the rooftop of the bonfire. Tedious, but beats getting stomped by them in the lava.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I'm quite liking the "quality" build. 28 STR, 40 DEX. It's so fun to be able to use pretty much any weapon in the game. Depending on my mood, I've been using a Claymore, Zweihander, Murakumo, Balder Side Sword and the Washing pole.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I am very intrigued by this build, please tell me more.

It's pretty basic, really. 27 STR is effectively 40 STR while two-handing, so if you raise your STR to 27 and DEX to 40 you can effectively have 40 in both. And since damage scaling pretty much stops at 40, it will make you very effective with both strength and dexterity based weapons. Weapons with split DEX/STR scaling also shine with this build (I think my AR with a Zweihander is like 615)

I raised my STR to 28 though, so I can one-hand the Murakumo.

E: ^^^ Well, I raised my attunement up to 19 since I wanted to use lots of pyromancies as well. END 40 and VIT 25 or as well (I'm overleved as hell, as I sunbroed like 650k souls at O&S :v:) . But you don't really have too many points left to play with, so I think sorceries and miracles are a no-go.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 2, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I've pretty much given up on getting that blue slab unless there happen to be orange signs there. gently caress that path.

Not that most characters even need it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Crackbone posted:

So I'm at Lost Izalith and Solaire came at me all crazy and poo poo. I put him down. Was that avoidable??

Yes. You need to join the Chaos Servants and offer humanity to Quelaag's Sister until you get the second covenant rank. That opens the shortcut between Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith. Through it you can kill the enemy that drops the Sunlight Maggot before Solaire gets there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Onion Knight posted:

I don't think my running works right. I'm using a wired XBox360 controller on my PC, and the following happens:
Holding B does nothing.
Clicking in the movement stick (L3 or whatever) works... sometimes. Usually I'll have to hit it two or three times to get it to toggle, then once that happens I can continue running until I ease back on the movement stick.

Has this happened to anyone else? It's really really annoying and imprecise.

Make sure that you or anything else isn't pressing the space bar. Has happened to me.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

WMain00 posted:

Stray Demon though back at Undead Asylum? gently caress him. Can barely get in a hit before it stomps me to death. :(

The outcome of the Stray Demon fight is pretty much decided during its first attack. If you manage to get behind its butt, the fight becomes easy. Just poke it in the tail between the AOE explosions and circle around it again if it does the buttslam.

A weapon with some bleed damage might also make the fight faster.

BobTheJanitor posted:

So if I'm being invaded and I just alt F4 out will that have any adverse effects? I'm getting tired of all my fights being immortal trainer kiddies or lagtastic teleport backstabbers.

Where the hell do you guys find these invaders? I've never been invaded by a hacker.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 3, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I just started a Sorcerer and cleared the upper burg and a part of the Parish. Naturally I get both Black Knight Swords and the Demon Greataxe, all weapons that I'll never be able to use with this character. :darksouls:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

laplace posted:

My favorite weapon in the game is Ricard's Rapier even though it's not particularly strong. I just really like the move set despite the damage output being incredibly low (Granted, I'm only at Lightning +5 with 37 DEX).

You should enchant that poo poo to +15 immediately. No point in using lightning weapons with dex that high.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I wonder why I'm not getting a lot of co-op activity with my sorcerer. With my zweihander/claymore characters I got constantly summoned, but nobody seems to summon me at the gargoyles.

Not that cutting that tail is easy with an Estoc. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Nahxela posted:

It's clearly because your sorcerer isn't the peak of fashion. Put on a pig hat or something.

That's the only thing I'm wearing. :colbert:

• Locked thread