Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stringbean posted:

It goes hand in hand with the BKS, if you use either of them early on it'll "ruin" your experience.

If you use them just make sure you use your shield for blocking/parry twice as much. For every 1 dude you obliterate, make sure to dodge/parry/block the next 2.

Awh, but twoshotting the capra demon with the Black Knight Sword was the only way I survived that fight!

...I think I proved your point.

E: also I play with a mouse and I actually quite like it with the DSMfix. The official one isn't updated perfectly, so google the 'unofficial 1.0.2.0 fix'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sif :(

Also +4 Chaos Zweihander, yes please.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So when people said I needed to go to anor londo I didn't expect to be carried by literal bat demons there. I feel like it would have had more gravitas if I weren't wearing the catarina chestpiece, and therefore looked like a retarded pill bug.

It's really loving pretty though, I mean drat. I don't wanna leave.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 17, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Well, I didn't, and then I got sucked into a painting and now I have demonic harpies killing me left and right. The snow would be pretty but it's all drab and grey.

also gently caress those phalanx assholes, I actually used (black) firebombs for the first time in ages but they beat me half to poo poo and I ran out of estus flasks and then a hollow killed me.

Man hollows do a lot of damage.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 17, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

drat, the one chest I don't attack :(

Right after those two rear end in a top hat greatbow archers too. Speaking of which, I want a bow like theirs! When do I get one?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man Executioner Smough is such an rear end in a top hat, especially when he gets all electricy and kicks my rear end seven ways to sunday.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

The secret to super-Smough is to stay up in his junk.

I ended up doing it on my second try! With no summons! I feel like I might be a bit overlevelled though, I'm SL 70 with most of it dumped into Vitality and Endurance since I'm using a chaos weapon by and large.

e: Man now I see what folks were saying with the incessant 'gorgeous view ahead' messages.

I wonder if I can kill her too, she seems sus.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 18, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Whaaaaaat the gently caress are these dinosaur assholes in lost izalith doing? I kinda want to ride one now. Eh.

Also wow demon ruins and lost izaleth are drab as poo poo. They could've done so much more with a lava level! instead it's just kinda bleh in all honesty.

Also #2 I think I'm overlevelled a bit. I'm SL70 or so and finished O&S on the second try. I've never been able to get summoning to work, or invading for that matter, but regardless I'm finding I'm pretty easily handling bosses on the first or second tries! It's actually pretty chill, but I feel like I'm missing some of the, y'know :darksouls: challenge. Or something. I dunno! We'll see how the three remaining lords treat me.

E: I take it back, I've died a half dozen times to the bed of chaos!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 18, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Huh. Bed of Chaos was pretty easy once I figured out the pattern. And cast flash sweat beforehand. And wore that lovely fire protection ring you get waaaay early in the game. Pretty easy after a dozen tries or so, at any rate. I actually managed to survive the whole inferno thing it does though!

Now, off to the catacombs, I think.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

so invading is fun. Even managed to survive a 2 on 1 when, while dickwraithing, the guy summoned Solaire. Thought that was going to be the end of me, and in fairness invading by O&S was pretty stupid but I actually managed to win my first one!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind! Also gently caress the invisible pathways in the crystal chambers. Seriously.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man, after the loving misery that was tomb of giants Nito was a cakewalk.

Missed that +souls ring but honestly I'm at SL80 and don't need it. And gently caress going through that again, though it was less annoying than the crystal caves to be fair.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay, so Dragonslayer bow-ing invaders off cliffs is the funniest loving thing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Which gives me a reason to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LlLUFfa6Y

That is just loving cruel.

This is amazing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Okay. So the DLC isn't too hard for the most part and I kinda walked over everyone with barely a death or two per boss, but holy poo poo gently caress Kalameet. He'd actually be pretty easy if it weren't for his loving tail, jesus.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So I just beat Gwyn. Not a hard fight and being able to parry was, ironically, what killed me the first time. I've always been awful at it and once I gave up and just used it in rare occasions it was much easier. Almost a letdown after the DLC but I kinda liked the last area, though less so the spacing out of the enemies.

Either way, chose the dark lord ending because gently caress da rules and I'm putting it down for DSII. Don't think I'm likely to play a new game. Maybe if I get the hankering for it later.

All in all it was a really fun, very addicting game. I enjoyed it a lot and it wasn't quite as hard as people said. There were some issues is Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins (bleh) but besides those I liked the post-lordvessel content well enough. A solid 9/10 from me, I think.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

PC performance in DS1 is all kinds of hosed. Hell, I can play the sequel at better frames per second on battery than I can play DS1 at full tilt.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Flumpus posted:

Man, I read this at first and thought you meant first time ever seeing them, which I'm sure someone has done, but it would make me really sad and feel very inferior to actually encounter that person (queue someone in this thread being one of those people).

Does second try count? Mind you, I kinda cheesed with a zwiehander so I dunno.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You are experiencing the quality Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 PvP experience the way it was meant to be! If you see your enemy swinging you might as well always roll because no matter how many meters of clear distance there are between you and their weapon, they'll somehow still hit you if the game feels like it. Meanwhile, your swings will clearly connect and play a hit sound while they continue to prance around having taken no damage.

I recommend sticking to co-op for online in these games.

There is actually a bonfire past the rat room if you're willing to go for it, but it can be a bitch to get to: You have to go past the drake on the bridge. If you're willing to try, you need to stand behind cover on the bridge, then when the drake comes down, run under it to the bonfire. Sometimes it does an undodgeable attack that covers the entire bridge and one-shots you, other times it just does a stomp that you can run past. If you make it there you can use that bonfire and open a gate to the area right after the rat room. Later on you can open that gate after the boar too for another shortcut.

I've finished the game maybe 6 times and have never learned to parry consistently, it's honestly not something you need to know how to do. I would just use a kick on the spear dudes when they hide behind their shields, it really ruins them.

Wait there's another way to open the gate past the Hellkite drake without running past it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Emit Force is the most incredibly annoying thing ever when someone invades you in Blighttown. Emit Force and Force, if you're in the rafters still you might as well jump off yourself.

Ash Lake is cool and the clams are the best enemy.

ok that's pretty fab and I know what I'm doing for my next DS playthrough

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Does playing at 60 FPS not break bonfires and jumps now?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Since Cheat Engine exsists and can already be used to do much worse than it, I don't see the harm in sharing the debug exe :filez: http://sta.sh/0kaid8rd9d8 I can edit this out if it's a big deal though.

Oh and if you forgot to set Steam to offline and someone invaded you while your playing as the Hellkite Dragon... let's just say it makes for a short battle.

And one more. http://a.pomf.se/bodina.webm

This doesn't work with DSFix yeah?

E: I'm also having a problem even playing the regular version. DSFix doesn't seem to be working at all. I'm trying to set it to go to 1080p but whenever I try to make the game fullscreen or borderless windows through DSfix it resets...

E2: I'm dumb

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 18, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Oh sweet.

So the debug build works fine with dsfix, you just need to disable the fps unlocker.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Heh. Blurry screenshot but oh well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Okay thanks, that's what i figured. Should probably just bury my hopes of finding convenient ways right now.

There's an option to just teleport your character to the NPC you're currently controlling.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

The bottom option in the debug menu starts the game as the review copy.

That was the character selector they had. As far as I could tell, I could not pick any of the other options besides Soldier.

I just thought it funny that it might have been a planned feature to let you play as a Dark Knight or Solaire.

Speaking of funky things: I just beat the capra demon with a bow and arrow. And nothing else. I did nearly die, but the dogs, as usual, were the biggest no-no.

Black Knight, at least, worked, but you don't have the stats to wield anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

Is it okay to ask for a mirror for the debug files? Really was looking forward to messing with it but I can't find a good link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rtbk4d80cs2on6/dsbuild.zip?dl=0

You have to add an x to the exe within the RAR file.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

Apparently, the US division of Bandai Namco hired some German company called FDS to crack down on the debug mode exes, and DSfix ended up getting hit by accident. Some German poster on Neogaf got in touch with the guy in charge of FDS, and it seems everything is going to be just fine after all:

And of course there had to be some sperglord emailing threats to the poor guy. :cripes:

I still think that it's a bit silly to crack down on the debug exe. If anything, it's injecting more longevity into an already nearly-dead game.

If anyone wants a copy you can use the dropbox link above. If that goes down for some reason PM me, I'll try and keep a backup of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I'm doing an always human run for the forums, and was wondering, does Dark Souls have softbans? I want to play with the people watching, and I'm trying to find out which cheat engine script is best.

It's going to be Either A.) Give myself 99 Humanity items

or

B.) Run a script that sets me as always human so I can always invade / be invaded. Which is best for avoiding soft bans.

No one is banned in DS1

• Locked thread