Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For some reason the framerate seems to be capped at 15. I'm using that dfix thing but looking through the settings it doesn't seem like anything's ticked that would do that. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okay, my the fps in this game is weird. My gpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, but if I don't use that dfix thing I can usually get 30 FPS, but the framerate will drop randomly then go back up to 30.

Also, I just got to the outside area and met a paladin-type dude. Learning miracles from him requires joining his covenant, which will abandon my current. Do I, from the start of the game, already have a covenant?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 23, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Playing this for the first time. I'm in Dead Burg or something when I find this dude in black armor facing away from me. I knew about backstabs, but I also thought a crossbow from behind would do something. :downs: He then proceeded to almost kill me, and I then proceeded to cheese him by abusing the fact that he can't climb up a ladder, and throwing firebombs at him. :3:

Shortly after I get killed by a guy wielding a giant mace and after that the Taurus Demon. :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That's a Black Knight. Did he drop anything for you?

Mace guy is probably the guy in my avatar, aka Havel.

I think he dropped a titanis something or other?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

This game is amazing, and I'm only in Undeadburg. Is the game invasion and the messages that get left random?

I think how it works is that you get specific messages (the ones I've found have not changed when quitting and starting back up) and invasions/summons are people being matched with your game and invading/putting the summon option (I think the ghostly images you occasionally see are other people).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Slate Action posted:

Lightning Demon guy may have been out of my league but my shortbow + 118 arrows put him down just the same :c00l:

That Titanite Demon (that is the name I think?) was really easy. He's so slow and his attacks are telegraphed such that it is very easy to dodge him, especially if you stay near his back. What sucks is how little damage I did; I had to plink at him for like 10 minutes.

Also a question; if you have liquid humanity but are not human, do you get a drop rate increase?

e: also gently caress the forest, but in a good way. Aside from the Gargoyle Demons, I was having a really easy time in the church area. The forest was quite a surprise; I ended up getting slaughtered by Tree Guys and A Giant Statue Guy. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to my bloodstain for the four humanity I had. :ohdear:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 26, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Placement is important, so is your level. What's your level? 25 seems to be the top-end for the Gargoyles unless a newbie is running through and has leveled a bunch.

Also make sure you place it somewhere in the area with the 3 hollow warriors, but close to the thin bridge toward Andre, not close to the church. People tend to either summon the closest sign, or the coolest-looking dude.

If I do that, I should have no problem.

Boar helmet is the best helmet.

Also a question about that axe (it's the Bell Gargoyle tail). When I equip it meters like the poison one appear. What does that mean?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, I did not expect to be fighting a giant wolf wielding a sword in its mouth. Also, would I be correct assuming that fighting him after ringing the church bell is a bit too early?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha, I was wondering why I was getting slaughtered the moment I stepped into Sif's area, turns out I had accidentally switched to dual-wielding my halberd. :shobon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dreggon posted:

The Drake Sword is gained by shooting his tail off with a bow. That, plus the Knight Shield, will see you through the majority of the game.

How exactly do you aim a bow without locking on? In my game, I found hints telling me to shoot at its tail, but I could never figure out how to.

Also, what are some good places in everything up to the church and Darkroot Forest for jolly coop?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So I just beat Capra Demon and got into a sewer area. I've explored it, and have found a locked door next to a merchant guy. Is the key to the door somewhere in the sewers, or is it found somewhere else? (if the latter don't specify where, please)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I haven't done much multiplayer, so what does that above thing do exactly?

Also, how do you use an Estus flask on a coop person.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If I upgrade a weapon past +5, I can still upgrade it with other things like lightning and fire later, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just got through the Painted World. That place was worse than Sen's. And gently caress wheels.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

When making items with boss souls, does the equipment item you use affect the creation? For example, I want to create the furysword, does the specific curved sword change its stats? Would using a +15 painted sword over a +10 have an affect?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Satorr posted:

This happens to me occasionally and not just in Anor Londo. Started like a week ago I think. Did some new patch come out and have a side effect?

I've noticed that this only happens when I turn human. Getting invaded turns bonfires off. Is it possible to get invaded immediately after turning human? If so, that could be the problem.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mental Midget posted:

2.) Multiplayer - I know that this is buggy at best, but I have never, ever been able to summon a PC or successfully drop my white soapstone sign. I've been invaded plenty but I can't get any co-op to work, ever. It's super rare to even get summon signs to appear, and when I click them the summoning always fails. (I am sure I'm within the proper SL levels too). Additionally, my white soapstone is never, ever usable. I'll play online for hours and the white soapstone will never light up to indicate it can be used. Is there any kind of trick to setting ports or router settings to help the co-op work better?

You can't use pvp items in some areas. Like you can't use them in the area around Andre; that's why people generally place summon signs right at the side entrance of the church.

As for summonings failing, that might just be the lovely netcode. Sometimes I'm able to summon people easily, other times it never works.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What is a good place to do co-op if I'm SL68?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I see we had very different experiences with Gwyn.

For me the hardest boss is either Kalameet or Manus, followed by O+S. Artorias probably took me the most attempts for my first kill but now I can kill him easily.

I've don't get why people have trouble with O&S. So long as you have a decent shield, a bleed weapon and a fire weapon (and don't kill Ornstein first) they're really easy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

Just get enough STR and DEX to 2-hand your weapon of choice, enough stamina for a roll and 2 hits, then boost your HP to the level you feel comfortable with and then see what you want to do next.

Fixed that. (that is the worst thing about a two-hand run, you still have to put points into dex if you want certain weapons, like the BK ones).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So I'm doing a sl1 run, any tips for early stuff to get? I've gotten to parish, have gotten three firekeeper souls, ring of favor, havel's, and I'm currently going for dusk crown.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring and a nice weapon like a Reinforced Club or a Hand Axe and you're set! As soon as you get your pyromancy rolling you'll be blowing stuff up.

tractor fanatic posted:

If you've already got the poo poo from the Asylum, then maybe also try to get a Balder Shield.

Ah, had totally forgotten about the Asylum. Do Blader Shields only drop from the Balder's with the rapiers?

Also, got a BK halberd when going for the grass crest shield. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

Is there a way I could give myself the red eye orb after placing the lord soul with an external program without the game crapping itself? If so, how?

Heavy Lobster posted:

Any program would work, since there aren't any restrictions on what items you have in your inventory. However, you wouldn't be able to use it unless you placed yourself in the Darkwraiths.

He could use Cheat Engine to give yourself as many cracked orbs as you need.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

This is a good point, but I still don't see how item descriptions are any better a delivery mechanism than the universally-reviled journal entires that every RPG-hybrid has embraced over the past few years. I love the fact that I have to search hard to find details about Dark Souls' story, and I absolutely adore that those details are vague to the point of being almost contradictory, but I really don't like the way they're delviered.

Slapping some expository text into a pickup just feels... lazy to me. There's no other word for it. I prefer it to the prerendered cutscenes most other games resort to for sure, but it feels clunky all the same. It just feels cheap when I'm finding out about the plot primarily via expository text dumps.

Journal entries? I've rarely seen those outside of Survival Horror. What RPGs are you talking about?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

The PVP system in this game rules, except for the low-level gankers. Everybody I turn onto this game I have to mention staying Hollow until The Depths because the balance between weapons and level is so heavily skewed that somebody good at the game can grab equipment, run it through to Lightning +5, and have a laugh at a bunch of people's expense instead of being an even match for the invadee

I got turned off staying human in this game for an entire playthrough because of SL1 Lightning Reinforced Club +5 assholes, instead of having to put up with the possibility just on the off chance I can enjoy the pseudo-PVP matchmaking system, gankers could not be a thing.

I hope DS2 allows for that, as it's a fair trade off. The only benefit to going human is for getting help with a boss. Doing so trivializes the majority of bosses, so it needs something like Dickwraiths to balance the scales.

Also it's fun to Dickwraith (especially if you only use Dung Pies/Lloyd's Talismans).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You can drain both of their health bars all the way but it'll still proceed to the second part of the fight with whichever you killed last like it didn't happen.

EDIT: Yeah, I never really understood the ring of light thing either. It seems like a dev cop-out to me, like they were going "how the hell do we have the player get to Anor Londo from here if the door is blocked off?" and someone just went "...more gargoyles?"

Gargoyle's are fine, but it doesn't make sense why the activator is a ring of light, other than that it's obvious. It should have been something like a gargoyle statue in front of the door that you press the button in front of.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Well I just got the game. Man, this is a really awful port. I installed the mods in the op and it still doesn't feel right. I fought that big demon thing in the tutorial area and killed it but I basically just stood infront of it and spammed my attack to kill it before it killed me. Whenever I tried to dodge it or be ~skillful~ the awful controls seemed to get the best of me

Should I even bother with this game if I don't have a controller?

Curious, what class did you start as?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is wrong. You have to be +2 in the covenant and then go and physically open the door, but it stays open if you leave once it's open.

If I got to +2 in the covenant, then left and returned, would I still be +2?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah, this whole beating the Four Kings early isn't going to work out for me. Even with Ascended Pyromancy Flame +5 and Great Combustion/Combustion/Fire Ball/Fire Orb I can't do enough damage before I'm killed. I get hit too much up close, even if I guard I still get hurt. I may as well cut my losses and just continue on with the game, maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Darkwraith.

Four Kings are very doable, even at low levels (managed to beat them on my sl1 last night :hellyeah:). You need to equip whatever armor has highest magic defense without going overweight; as much Havel's as you can, ideally. And upgrade the Crest Shield to +5. With that and Havel's, my sl1 was able to tank just enough to survive. Also wear Crown of Dusk and Bellowing Dragoncrest if you have a slot for it. Roast the first two King's with Great Combustion, then the next two with Combustion. As I had no Bellowing, I had to finish of the last with a fire reinforced club.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

It eats a ring slot for the first half of the level, it's rather uninteresting for the ruins of an ancient civilization located in the depths of hell, its boss is a puzzle-boss that can easily one-shot-kill you, there's no real interesting enemies (Only Chaos Eaters, those statues, and Dragon Butts) and to top it all off it before Izalith itself you have to fight A: A third reskin of the Asylum Demon and B: One of the least interesting and most annoying bosses in the game to fight on your first time through

All in all a pretty poo poo place

I've never actually done Izalith, since my framerate gets really bad there (worse than Blighttown actually). Good to know I haven't missed anything.

Zzulu posted:

Thanks man, I'll keep you posted :allears:

When two handing any weapon, your strength stat becomes base + 50%. So if it takes 24 strength to wield a weapon (pretty sure the Zwei has that), you only need 16 to 2hand (16 + 8 = 24).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 17, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got the stone armor, suited up and beat the Four Kings on my next try! I think I got luckier this run, they barely ever used their projectile or tried to grab, so I could attack a lot more often. Pyromancy does rip through them pretty well when you're able to get in. I wasn't expecting to meet another primordial serpent, that was a little shocking. But I had enough humanity on me to go to Darkwraith+1, so I got my red eye orb!

When invading, try the r2 of the Dark Hand. It's special.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

aendarasi posted:

This loving game! I finally finish my first playthrough after going into it blind. Took me 90 loving hours and ended up consulting the wiki after all - managed to miss quite a few bits even so. Probably the best gaming experience of my life.

I then decide to roll a low level dickwraith because, hey, it's supposed to be possible. Took me a while, but my SL 7 thief made it all the way to 4K where he basically ran out of enough DPS to compensate for my lack of dodging skills; had to go to SL11 to get enough spell slots to roast these wraith fuckers. Kinda regret it, I'd rather put points in END instead, but oh well. Everyone should do a low-level run, just because you get so much *better* at the game when you're no more than a couple of hits away from death most of the time.

And of course invading at the Parish with endgame gear is just hilarious, never mind that it's a heavy responsibility ringing that wonderful Dark Souls Experience to as many as possible. Plus you're secretly a force for good; the occasional loss costs the invader pretty much nothing and gives the host one humanity.

For more better, throw the game to a noob after bringing him down to a sliver of HP with your giant flaming spider leg. Then smile, knowing you've made someone literally fistpump.

The best is an sl1 dickwraith. Then you can punish the fools that go human in upper Undead Burg.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

I honestly don't get SL1 invaders, what possible fun could you get out of 1-shotting dudes who've got no chance against you? Most I've seen don't even try to do anything funny or silly, they just run up to you and spam R1. Must be a real fun night you're having.

Dung Pies + Lloyd's Talismans. :colbert:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

superh posted:

That fulfills a valuable Dark Souls learning niche - "Don't go human if you don't mean to!"

SL1 invasions are so much fun, because -

Everyone you invade is higher level than you. Sure, there are some lowbies who get super scared but it's fun to be nice to them, cheer when they kill the black knight (then kill them.) Everyone else is either hanging out with summoned buddies or doing ~honorable sl120~ combat.

The sheer fact that the game is balanced enough at low level that you can singlehandedly wipe out a team of a target +2 phantoms and barely survive yourself makes it fun.

It's most fun to gently caress with newbies. I invaded the Parish and got a newbie (most likely, since he had Knight Shield) and his summon stuck in the area where you first encounter Balder Knights. Even when I went around and came at them from behind, they would not leave that spot.

Chas McGill posted:

-Rolling people to death in your thorny armour.
-Flame kicking people off the bridge.
-Backstabbing someone right after they stab the boar.
-Doing it all with the Xanthous head piece.

I never get thorn armor because I always forget to go human in the Depths. :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

Non-consensual PvP isn't positively received by a lot of people in games where competition with other players isn't the primary draw. A lot of people play games to relax and unwind, and really don't enjoy losing their leisure time to gankers or hackers. Personally, I mostly just play in offline mode. Sure, I miss out on a lot of gameplay features, but it saves a lot of irritation. I don't care about competing with faceless strangers on the internet, so it's a lot more relaxing that way.

Relax and unwind with Dark Souls? :raise:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Some people just like making others mad. I don't know why.

When I feel like I want to invade the parish or burg, I always use my darkwraith mini-boss build so that at least both parties can get some fun out of it. It's good because you have a lot of health but aren't too powerful, and they can still beat you in a fight pretty easy if you let your guard down.

"Your goal is not to kill the host."

Wow that is extremely loving stupid. I was tinkering around with creating a Darkwraith set character at some point, but that is just dumb.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

redmercer posted:

I suppose you yelled "Bullshit!" at the part of Fight Club where their assignment is to start a fight and lose

Dark Souls is not Fight Club.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is anyone else's framerate complete rear end, now

e: after reading the above posts, my question is answered. I just don't get why the framerate unlocker helps so much with the framerate, since I always have the max set at 30. :shrug:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 20, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Washin Tong posted:

What? On my last character, after I cleared a couple of Eaters with my spells I let him jump in and he one-shotted three of them with his zwolehandler's R2 without even breaking a sweat. I wanted to help him but I just couldn't.

Sometimes NPCs are ultra badasses, sometimes they are completely useless. :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh...

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=718

quote:

“Even Babies Should Be Able to Complete Dark Souls II” Says New Director for the Series

• Locked thread