Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So I got this during the Steam Sale because I, too, want to be a real man.

Wow, what a lovely port. I guess I'll have to suck it up and get a controller from somewhere. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh yea, I'm using those but it still somehow feels... off. Plus there seems to be some weird mouse pointer issues in the menus. For example my left mouse button seems to change function from "Go back" to "Accept" to "Whatthefuckever, man" constantly.

At least DS Nexus has some decent texture and UI stuff.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Shiiiiit I just now managed to get to the bonfire by the blacksmith after like 5 attempts at that one stupid loving Balder Knight that guards the knight shield. Maddeningly enough the subsequent knights were (almost) too easy. :psyduck:

So now that I have access to the blacksmith, anything I should be aware of when loving around with equipment this early in the game?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Just killed the Belfry Gargoyles. I must admit I hated the game for the first few hours but not that I'm somewhat settled in, I'm beginning to enjoy it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So I'm still running around in my Wanderer Armor and the only other bits I've found so far are shoddy Hollow and Balder pieces. Are there any straight upgrades to be had in the early game?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Finally killed the Capra Demon. Then I went to the Depths, accidentally fell in a hole, killed a Giant Rat, fell in another hole and was cursed. :darksouls:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Fuuuuuuuck Blighttown. The worst part isn't even the darkness or the small walkways, the loving thing murders my FPS like nothing. :argh:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
loving hell, you can go BACK to the Asylum? And there's a ring there that makes Blighttown less of a slog (literally)? Oh god why didn't find this out earlier. :aaaaa:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh god, Sen's Fortress can go gently caress itself. It looks so easy when other people do it but then you take a wrong turn and get hit by a boulder/fall off a cliff/get eaten by a mimic. :gonk:

I have the weirdest relationship with this game. Sometimes I have to turn it off just to keep myself from punching my monitor and other times everything works flawlessly. I mean I did all of Blighttown at once without much hassle and now I hit a brick wall again.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Verian posted:

If you want to avoid mimics, throw a llyods at them. You can tell if it's a mimic or not because the chain curls towards you and not away. Otherwise, it's just experience. I had alot of trouble in Sen's my first run, but it gets easier the more you run through the game or the area. The best tip for Sen's is to look above you when crossing the pendulum axes, you can see the gaps easier and know if you have to go one axe at a time or two.

When fighting that mimic for the second time, I accidentally managed to dodge right into the elevator shaft. Thankfully, the mimic followed me. :downs:

Anyway, it took me a while but I got through Sen's. At one point I was literally right above the bonfire on top of the fortress when the stupid giant hit me with one of his bombs. After I finally managed to grab that bonfire the rest was a cakewalk.

Here's my stats after just reaching Anor Londo:

I'm using the Wanderer Armor with some slight upgrades (+3 to +5) and a +9 Uchigatana. Anyone got any tips on what to focus on at this point?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There's so much hidden stuff I really don't envy the people who played it on release without guides and poo poo. I mean it's often times hard enough even with video guides.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

It's a little ballsy but after you peg him with an arrow, and after he torches the bridge a while, he'll come onto the bridge allowing you get into melee. Grab fire resist armour/rings and your finest fire resist shield and you should be able to put him down for good the way a proper knight ought to.

Or you can run in, wait for him to come down by the stairs, whack him about two times and then run like a little bitch back down under the bridge. He'll eventually go back to his perch. Repeat until lizard is dead.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
As others have said, if you keep throwing yourself at a boss eventually it'll work out okay. Everyone gets to these points in the game where they think progress is impossible and then suddenly it just "works". It's like playing Guitar Hero, in a sense. Try for hours to master that one song, give up, come back the next day and do it on the first try.

I died like 20 times on the Capra simply because I couldn't get to the stairs fast enough and kill the dogs. It's just a cheaply designed fight.

On that note - And I'm sure the thread will rip me apart for saying this - I don't think the combat is all that great. When it works it's great, when you die to some rear end in a top hat because his attack clipped through a pillar it certainly isn't.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Zoness posted:

It's a pretty long trek to O+S from any of the bonfires too.

What? I just reached O+S and there's a shortcut right by third bonfire. Just two knights between it and the great hall.
It's the room with the Silver Knight armor if I recall correctly. That's not very long at all.

First Undead Burg fire back to the Taurus demon, that's a long trek.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Beat O+S by Sunbro-ing it up. My first time summoning someone, too. Worked like a charm. :)

My biggest problem with them was my damage output. The fight is just too drat long if you have to chip away at their health and they WILL get some lucky hits in.

Anyway, I've got my beloved Uchigatana at +10 and was wondering whether or not to put lightning on that thing or turn it into the Chaos Blade - Which would make more sense?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
If you play your cards right, you can probably do the Gaping Dragon even with half HP. It may sound like bullshit but it's possible. The guy has slow attacks and long windows where he just helplessly flops around on the ground. Put on some light armor -or none- stay at mid-range from him, wait till he does his Chest Slam/Forward Rush combo, leisurely stroll around to his rear end and beat him. I'm not sure how to get rid of the curse easily, that would require going all the way back to the first belltower I'm afraid.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
In other news I just did the Moonlight Butterfly and the guy must be one of the most retarded bosses ever. He just sat there while Beatrice shot him, then for some reason latched onto the side of the bridge and I whacked him to death. :psyduck:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

a medical mystery posted:

That weapon is a shotel, and its strong attack bypasses shields. Never try to turtle against a shotel user, use dodging combined with a weapon that has longer range/cleave.

On that note, I had some trouble with Lautrec, the jerk. He uses Shotels too and loves to dodge/roll like crazy. Spears, even a simple Silver Knight Spear, gently caress him up good though.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 19, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I accidentally fed my Cress(t?) Shield to Frampt and was totally worried that I might have needed the thing to fight the MB but it turns out even a Silver Knight Shield +2 or so works fine. I mean he doesn't even do anything for most of the fight.

e: Now that I'm among the "In-Crowd", I really started to appreciate gimmick run videos like the Shieldfried one. They're just awesome to watch.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 19, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Evfedu posted:

Do I leave the undead parish and go back to the firelink? I still don't think I'm ready to tangle with the skeletons in the graveyard as I'm only doing 28 damage a hit. Which way do I go now? Also, I've a firelink soul, where do I take it to upgrade my estus?

Firekeeper Soul goes to Anastacia right below the Firelink bonfire. The normal route would be to go to the Depths. Entrance is down by the Capra Demon/Tower shortcut.

Depths... and then Blighttown. :getin:

Protip: Get a few Purging Stones from Oswald.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm doing the Catacombs right now and to be honest the biggest asset is probably a bow since you can kill two necros with it.

By the way, do they respawn?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh man, I'm stuck on Nito. No fire weapons and only a paltry +2 Holy Longsword to deal with the skeletons. :ohdear:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

dms666 posted:

I think every time I fought him he manages to kill every skeleton he summons by himself.

But they just reanimate!

Anyway, after taking a pause I just now defeated the guy without much hassle. It still took way too long with just my Lightning Uchi and also his scream attack is dumb.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've been fooling around with pyromancies and... are they supposed to be that short ranged?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I am using fireballs and orbs! For some reason my guy just throws them at his feet, the range is barely longer than say a thrust from my Uchi.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Holy poo poo:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Seriously, the Uchi is amazing and the stupid merchant can go gently caress himself.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Jesus Christ, Crystal Caves is the gimmicky-est dungeon in the entire game. Sen's is nothing compared to this crap.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh I get the concept, it's just that those ledges are awful. More often than not you'll just slide off for no reason.

Also there are relatively few messages around currently, but I'm Hollow so maybe that has something to do with it.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Killed Seath, went back to the Bonfire on the balcony and figured "Hey, there's this door in the prison area you haven't opened, let's take a look!". Went there, rested at the bonfire, realized I'm missing the right key and now can't warp anywhere. :shepicide:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I started a new character, this time going total Tank/2Hand stuff. Grabbed the Zweihander early and goddamn am I rocking the Burg. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I spent hours farming the dudes on top of Sen's for a BSS on my first character. It dropped on the 4th or so knight in the Parish on my second, Str-based character. :cripes:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
^^^
Sure, the first blacksmith sells a fist weapon I believe. There aren't many in the game though.

Speaking of Blighttown, there's no way to fix the frame rate crash that occurs down there? Is that even a thing that happens to everyone or is it just me? :psyduck:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
It can never be repeated often enough: gently caress the Capra Demon.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm currently there and oh god my eyes hurt from all that loving laval.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"The player is almost done with the game, what do we do? Quick! Add a completely trite amount of padding between him and the last boss!" :rolleyes:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You mean the place where you finally get a respawning, guaranteed drop of titanite chunks and chances at weapons you've only had seven chances at before, in a unique area that looks nothing like the rest of the game?

That's a "trite amount of padding"?

None of these things require 6 unavoidable (or at least hard to avoid) fights with enemies that are hilariously easy at that point in the game (yet still eat at least 2 repostes/backstabs).

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Evfedu posted:

Done Blighttown (I think) killed a bit firey spider lady and rang a bell with the help of Mildred (who made the boss trivial). Then I told some guy I wasn't a servant, but he wouldn't let me past.

1. Have I hosed my game?
2. Now what?

3. Blight-town's poison swamp is loving bullshit.

1. Nah

2. Sen's Fortress :getin:

3. Rusted Iron Ring from the Asylum! But I suppose it's too late now anyway so eh.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Evfedu posted:

The asylum?

You can go back there if you use the elevator up to the parish but jump off early. Find a way up the to the crow's nest, sit still for a few seconds and bam. It's got a few decent items and a nice surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Nothing about the Four Kings is about luck when the kings are on a timer and basically the same every time. You just didn't actually bother to learn the fight - the basic rule of it is that it's a DPS race.

You'll have to learn to dodge them if you plan on playing NG+ eventually.

Even if there's a second king in play (So to speak), he'll almost never attack you if you're close to the first one. I did them in by two-handing my Uchi, Grass Crest Shield on my back, hugging the king's junk and hammering away. With decent magic resist you can ignore their regular attacks. In fact, blocking seems to be a bad idea because they'll chip away your health anyway with their magic damage AND drain you of endurance (Which you need for more hammering).

• Locked thread