Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

E-Tank posted:

Oh my god. I can have vibration. :swoon: Is this easy to set up or will I have to work with all sorts of programming mumbo jumbo?

It's very easy to set up, although you need to have Motion in Joy drivers installed. Do a google search for that, get your drivers installed and never use the default ds3_tool.exe ever again. You can also set it to work with a bluetooth adapter so you can use your controller wirelessly too.

If you wanna use that program with Dark Souls, you have to use the Xbox 360 profile so that the game recognizes the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

Is trading possible at all in Dark Souls? I've got one of those blue titanite chunks but I'm not really interested in magic weapons at all.

If you invade another's world or get summoned to another's world you can drop the item in their world.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've heard people say either O+S, Four Kings or Artorias are the hardest.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

NTT posted:

NO

NO

NO

:negative: My controller just spazzed out and killed Dusk as she was about to sell me stuff. Isn't she how you access the dlc content as well? loving auto save.

As long as she was once open as a merchant, you're good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So since I'm going to be away from my PS3 for at least a week, I decided to play the PC version to get my Dark Souls fix. I grabbed DSfix so I can enjoy the game in my laptop's odd 1366x786 resolution, but even though the game runs way better, it always stops after about 10-20 seconds and tells me that the framerate is insufficient. This is what my DSfix.ini file looks like; I'm running this on a laptop with an Intel core i3 processor and some Intel HD graphics card. Is there anything I can do to be able to use DSfix online or should I give up on that front?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

2000 souls is chump change for all the utility a repairbox offers. Repairing weapons is even cheaper! I've never seen any one piece of equipment need more than 100 souls to repair.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I've never used Pyromancy before (how does it work? I have one equipped but the game won't let me use it, I assumed I lacked the stats for it), and again, first time I've done PvP. I've played lots of the game and am at Lv63, but I didn't know until recently about Rats being one of the few enemies to farm Humanity from (now I do, this fight was at the Depths bonfire). I'm playing a very straight-edge sword/shield build focusing on End/Dex over Vit (plus more-than-average Str). I'm using the Iaito+5 (though I have a Fire Scimitar that works very nicely on those disgusting blob monsters in the Depths :unsmigghh:) and a Grass Crest Shield +5. You're right, I need more practice - not just with PvP, but with other builds so I have a better idea of what various abilities are available.

Pyromancy is actually the one school of magic that you can't be short on stats for. Chances are you just forgot to equip your pyromancy hand. :v:

Also, you know that you can upgrade that Iaito further with the Large Flame you can give to Andre right before The Depths, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, thanks, I did get that. I've also been farming Large Titanite Shards in the Depths - one more and I should be able to get my Iaito to +10.

Ah. Yes. Sorry, I have no Pyromancy to equip to my hand, I didn't realise. I just have Power Within in my Attunement Slot. Will have to get an actual Pyromancy at some point.

Did you find Laurentius around where the Large Flame is? Once you free him from a barrel (roll into it, don't cut the barrel), he'll show up at Firelink, ask you if you think Pyromancy is a dirty art (say no) and then he'll teach you Pyromancy and give you your very own Pyromancy Hand.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The drake sword is actually a trap in a lot of ways because it teaches you a bad lesson. The lesson it teaches you is that the way to improve your weapons is to continuously find better and better loot. The lesson the game should, and fails, to teach you is that you should find a weapon you like and upgrade it, while increasing th stats that make that weapon do more damage (usually strength or dexterity, the weapon's stat page will tell you which or both).

Since you're used to the drake sword, I'd recommend continuing on with a straight sword such as a longsword or broadsword, which should have a similar moveset. Either of those weapons at +10 should significantly outdamage the drake sword, though to go from +5 to +6 you'll need the Large Ember (which you should have gotten in the depths), and you'll need to go all the way back to Andre in the Parish. There is an elevator in Sen's fortress you can activate to make the run back and forth less horrible. You'll need 9 titanite shards and 9 large titanite shards to get to +10--the Crestfallen merchant in Sen's fortress sells large shards, and Andre sells normal ones.

Doesn't the Giant Blacksmith at Anor Londo sell Large Titanite shards as well?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Daric posted:

How far into the game do I find a blacksmith that can upgrade my weapons? I literally just walked into Undead Parish and I want to upgrade my Wing Spear.

You can find one literally as soon as you leave the Undead Asylum. If you go down the stairs into New Londo and try to look for some stairs downwards, away from the bridge, you'll find a blacksmith inside a cell window. I'm not sure if he sells Titanite for you to upgrade with though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Daric posted:

I have 5 right now, how many does it take to upgrade weapons?

It'll tell you. It varies depending on your weapon level. Since you're in the Parish, you might as well keep going because there's another blacksmith nearby as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So is it just me or are the two Serpent Soldiers near where Sieg is in Sen's supposed to be alive in the PC version when Sieg's still around?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Siegmeyer killed them. He's a knight in more than just title.

I know he's supposed to kill them. I've seen them dead before talking to him on my PS3 runs. I got up to Sieg this morning on the PC version and the two bastards were still alive. :confused:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I think the way it works is that if you make it all the way to Sieg without dying, the serpents will be alive. If you die (or possibly otherwise reload the zone), they'll be dead when you get there the first time.

Oh is that how it works? That's kinda annoying... :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, how are people getting the Black Knight gear so easily? The only "boss" drop I've managed to get is the Gargoyle Axe, and that's technically not a drop, it's a tail cut. :(

They're just getting lucky, is all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Where do you get Titanite Chunks from anyway? I need them for my Elite Knight Gauntlets as well. And how exactly do you join the Forest Hunter Covenant? I've never really figured out how you go about that. I guess I need to since I ain't killing the merchant, he's cool. My STR is something like 23 - I'll see about the Washing Pole.

You can farm them from Royal Sentinels in Anor Londo or Darkwraiths in New Londo. If you're gonna try the former, I highly suggest sniping them with poison arrows.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So if I wanted to use both DSVfix and DSCfix, how should I set up the wrappers? Should I go DSfix -> DSCfix -> DSVfix or should I go DSfix -> DSVfix -> DSC fix? Would either of those work just fine?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kiggles posted:

From the DSVfix nexus page (spaced for readability):
DS Fix.dll -> DSC fix.dll -> DSV fix.dll -> DSM fix.dll

So edit DS fix.ini to load DSC fix.dll via the dInput8Chain argument, and DSC fix.ini point to DSV fix.dll, and so on. Any of the above are not strictly necessary, and you can load with fewer. Seems only the order is important.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. I can't check nexus right now, so thanks for clarification!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artificer posted:

So I finally managed to get past a bunch of bosses and minibosses in a gaming spree today. My crowning achievement: finishing killing a giant butterfly thing after repeated attempts, climbing a tower to get a divine ember, and then missing the stairs on the way down and falling to my death.

Earlier in the day, on my umpteenth attempt on Havel's life, I took a few steps outside of the bonfire, and accidentally fell off the bridge to my death, losing around 10k souls and an amount of humanity. :darksouls:

Edit: How does the Faith requirement reduction for the Sunbros work? What's the earliest boss I can expect to be summoned at, the Gargoyles?

Edit: Actually, the miracles have faith requirements too. Maybe I'll just go with Chaos Servant and get some spells.

You should still try to get the option to join the Sunbros anyway for the best gesture. Basically, you need to have 25 faith to join them, but if you successfully co-op with someone and they kill the boss, that requirement gets dropped by 5. So co-op 3 times and you only need 10 faith; co-op 5 times and you don't need any faith to join them. I've co-opped for Taurus Demon, believe it or not, but Gargoyles are probably a good place to start.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man, my whole second run has been kinda weird for me so far. All the bosses that gave me trouble on my first run, like Gargoyles or Quelaag, are pretty easy, but bosses I found fairly easy my first time, like Capra and 4 Kings (weirdly enough), absolutely wrecked me. :confused:

I'm also not fond of how doing the DLC right after Anor Londo and joining the Darkwraiths is mutually exclusive. :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

sighnoceros posted:

What does this mean?

If you're trying to join the Darkwraith covenant, you absolutely need to go kill the 4 Kings first before you can really make any progression in any areas. What annoys me is that you can't get to that crystal golem at the start of the Duke's Archives because the lordvessel isn't set so the archives are just blocked off, so the DLC area and thus the new Sif cutscene where he remembers you are inaccessible if you're planning on becoming a Darkwraith.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

gently caress the Stray Demon in the Asylum return. That fire attack takes off a good quarter of my health right through my shield, and I can't abuse parry like I've been doing.

Stay close to his back. His big AOE attack has pathetic range behind him.

Edit: Also he is vulnerable to bleed damage so if you have anything that can make him bleed, go ahead and use it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you want help on O&S you can also hit me up in #bwf. Assuming the update didn't break DCSfix, I have a SL45 sunbro right at the boss door.

Don't worry, it didn't. I was goofing around with friends last night, having duels outside of the Oolacile Colosseum and one of them was having a hard time getting summoned, so we had him turn on DSfix and DSCfix and we had our duel within seconds.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm kinda confused: my friends got to Lost Izalith, did all of Sunbro's quest outside of killing the chaos bug, so when they approached the shortcut area, Sunbro should be insane and decked out with anime hair, right? Because they kinda just saw him slumped over and depressed and neither one of them knows what the Sunlight Maggot is. :confused:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

zylche posted:

They should investigate the area past the large titanite demon.

I'm pretty sure they did, since they both told me they found him there slumped over and depressed about how he can't find his sun? Wait, Solaire has two dialogues about being unable to find his sun?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tollymain posted:

She must be seriously deluded, there is nothing peaceful or kind about the Painted World.

Either that or maybe everything else there is just too damned scared of her to raise a hand against her.

Alternately, everything is trying to kill you to protect her.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artificer posted:

I also need the Crest of Artorias too.

Edit: Can you upgrade Catalysts? And where do you go to upgrade Pyro Flames?

I believe Catalysts can be upgraded like regular weapons, and you need to take your flame to a Pyromancer to upgrade it. There's a special Pyromancer who can ascend past +15 and they are unique in that aspect.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Goldmund posted:

I've got a 3D monitor that hasn't been seeing much action lately compared to my 1440p display, but last night I discovered this amazing user made patch for Dark Souls. http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2012/08/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-3d.html

Holy poo poo, this game is perfect in 3D! I think I actually play better with the 3D enabled, which is usually not at all the case.

Oh man, that might actually make it easier to tell how far away the 4 Kings are now when you're sprinting for them!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can survive the drop from the top of the tower to that railing, so that one's not so hard to reclaim. It really would suck if a bloodstain somehow ended up in midair though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah so I think I'm going to have to submit and get the midweek deal... how does level matching work?

I'm not finding any good multiplayer mechanics breakdown in the OP. I see everyone talking about being 'near' eachothers level in order to summon but haven't seen any specifics. What about invaders, is there a level bound applied there too? If you just keep sticking with a single character does the world just get more and more sparse?

Also how widespread is hacking? I want to want to get into the multiplayer but not if every fourth person or so is a shitheel.

For summons, the people being summoned have to be within (10 + 10%) either upwards or downwards of the summoner's level. For most invasions (I think some have special rules), you can only invade people 10% below your level and up. You can't invade downwards for most invasions. Most people tend to keep their characters around SL120 or so because it's a convenient number and from there it takes way too many souls to level up.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 26, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

So if I'm going to invade a friend's game (he just started) is there a good way to make sure I invade him? Does DSCFix help with that?

DSCFix absolutely helps with any kind of multiplayer connection so long as the people you're trying to connect to are on your GFWL friends list. If you want to invade him, make sure you guys are at similar level ranges and you should be good to go. Also, you can only invade/be invaded in places where the invadee has yet to beat the boss.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I've posted this in a few places now, so I may as well leave it here too: I'm making a huge collection of good looking armor combinations because dressing up is more important than actually playing the game. While I already have screenshots of all the default sets, and some that I think are cool, I need your help!

If you have an outfit combination you think looks good, list the pieces of the set here (or PM me if you have plat) and I'll make a version of the image of my own, and add it to the gallery. When I have a good amount, I'll start uploading them to imgur or similar for everyone to look at as they please. Maybe I'll list them by poise or something.

Is it cheating to mention Chester's Longcoat with anything? That man's coat really does look fantastic with everything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cat doter posted:

I remember seeing some videos a while back of someone invading as a friendly phantom. How exactly is that achieved? Because I wanna do it. People that don't summon me for bosses are gonna get my help WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT.

Finally got summoned for gargoyles after waiting for ages. It's fun blowing them up with a +5 lightning handaxe and helping out a newbie. I'm generally using my red eye orb, blowing up some poor fool, then laying down my summoning sign and waiting. Achieving a balance, you know.

It's just a weird glitch where you show up as the wrong kind of phantom, that's all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I started up a new Thief character. Master keyed my way to Havel and eventually took him out despite my hubris causing several stupid deaths, then ran into Darkroot's bonfire to get some practice parrying with the Halberd Black Knight. After lots of deaths I get parrying down well enough to defeat the knight!

He drops the Halberd. I was doing an Int/Dex run. :negative:

I feel your pain. That happened to me too on my SL1 run. That, and I got a Balder Side Sword from literally the first Balder Knight that character killed. :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Question: why 28 str over 27? The single point shouldn't make that big of a difference for one handing and you'd still get the full 40 points from two handing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Node posted:

This is a 1000+ thread so I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. We all know GWFL is going down. Has From Software said if they're going to do anything about it? I know that we'll all be enamored with Dark Souls 2 in the near future, but I know I will want to come back to Dark Souls 1 someday, and I want to see ghosts falling off cliffs and soapstone signs saying AMAZING CHEST AHEAD when that happens.

We haven't really heard anything concrete about it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Chain Set's not too bad. It gives you a decent amount of poise for relatively low weight.

Only downside is that it's ugly as all hell.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Is it just me or do the Dark Sword's two-handed R1s hit poise a lot harder than most other swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You also want appearance. Because you shouldn't really be getting hit, you don't really have to worry about how much damage you're taking so just wear whatever looks best to you.

• Locked thread