Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The Scythe is only a few minutes into Sen's Fortress (if you fall off the first bridge like me anyway) and is fairly nice, it seems to hit over shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mr Dog posted:

Oh hey look it's those two assholes

yeah the guys on the buttresses

I did that part for the first time yesterday, that was probably the tensest part of the game yet.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I just went through the Tomb of the Giants, Dukes Archives/Crystal Caves and New Londo Ruins, and I only saw two notes in the Tomb and New Londo, but a lot in The Crystal Caves and a few in the Archives. Up until that point the notes were a lot more common and I saw summon signs and got invaded constantly in Anor Londo

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I did the steps to save Solaire, and I talked to him in the maggot tunnel afterwards, but he isn't showing up by the fog gate to Gywn, is there something I missed?

Edit: managed to beat him solo, but I guess I'd still like to know if anyone can tell why he didn't show up for next time.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 9, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Is there any easy way to connect with friends now without DSCfix?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Yeah, we both changed download servers to Vietnam and connected immediately.

The atmosphere of the game changes drastically when you play it with another person.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Sen's Fortress bonfire is pretty drat happy after the first time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Whats the best area to get summoned for bosses around SL 70?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Inside Out Mom posted:

Just press on man. Your first character always ends up a mess of mistakes and stuff. Then your next run through you know what you need and want and can focus on that and wonder how any of that stuff bothered you before.

Yeah, my first run got to the depths at around 30 hours. Second run is at Anor Londo in NG+ after 80 hours, and my latest run is one Lords Soul in at 35 hours.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
My friend and I have been summoning each other throughout the game and new game plus, but suddenly I can't see their sign. She can still summon me, and other people can summon her still, and I can even see her human shadow at the bonfire, but the sign isn't showing up no matter how long we wait. Is there some way to fix this?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Vil posted:

What are your soul levels?

131 (theirs) 137 (mine).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
It must be something weird, I've only gotten to the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Haha problem solved. I was stupid and forgot to place my Lordsvessel.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

victrix posted:

So Darkstalker Kaathe makes a pretty convincing argument for becoming a Dark Lord...

... except what the gently caress happened down there in New Londo :gonk:

Hard to agree with him when everything is skulls, death, darkwraiths, and hideous soul monsters nearby.

That isn't really much different from the rest of Lordran though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Just the switch from physical armor to the sorcerer set made the difference from being killed in two shots to probably 8 on my first try.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I went through with a strength build the first time, dex the second and the dex build was way easier for me. I think a lot of it is probably just experience making things seem easier.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Unless you're a Sorcerer, I'd suggest doing Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith first for that that item, yeah.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

He was one of the first try bosses for me. Getting to him is the hard part. Those giant bone spiders hosed me up.

My happiest moment in Dark Souls was discovering that you could lock on and one shot the bonespiders from outside their aggro range with a grand fireball and a fully upgraded pyromancy glove. This is actually true of every giant skeleton enemy in the Tomb of the Giants, except the archer ones.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Guillermus posted:

Indeed. Once my SM got high enough to reach SL 180+ with lots of gear upgraded, multiplayer just dissapears from my playthrough. I think I get invaded or invade a guy once a day (1 time every 6 hours of gameplay) wich is ridiculous.

I got invaded by the same person in the Ivory King DLC 4 times while I was doing the first area. :argh:

But that was all the invasions I got that day.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

mortons stork posted:

Holy gently caress is the tomb of the giants the meanest place I've gotten to. The skeleton beasts in close quarters like that is pure evil and they don't even stagger, what the poo poo. I know I can basically ignore all but like 2 enemies on the boss route, so it isn't that bad in that regard, but exploring the place has been immensely frustrating. If the other 3 places that unlocked post-Lordvessel are this frustrating then holy hell I'm going to quit.

If you have an ascended pyromancy flame and great fireball/great chaos fireball, You can one shot practically every enemy in the dark section from outside their aggro range, except the archers.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

CJacobs posted:

Going to the painted world resets your bonfire to be the painted world one iirc, so you really can't leave except via jumping from the edge even if you use a homeward bone.

If you warp in but don't sit at the fire, you can use a bone to get out.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Iretep posted:

who the hell puts points into vit until after like anor londo?

seriously doing more damage or getting more swings out in a row is always more useful basically until you've hit the softcaps

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Flailing Hollows in the Parish replaced with Bonewheels.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Most people here say not to but I found it made a huge difference in my survivability on my first run through the game. For later runs I only bother if I have nothing better to use my souls and titanite on, and you should always upgrade your weapon first.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The cheat engine tool for dark souls is incredibly easy to use I found.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
After stopping at the start of NG++ for about six months, I finally completed my 100% Dark Souls run. Every weapon, spell, miracle and pyromancy. Ended up fighting O&S for the Lordsvessel because I forgot to upgrade two swords to 10+ and get Sif's soul before getting to Anor Londo.

Its amazing how much easier even the most difficult parts in the game are after you've played enough. I never would have expected to be able to solo O&S on NG++ back when I first encountered them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Uchigatana +15.
Its taken me through ng++ O&S easily anyway.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I believe the fury sword scales off of humanity (up to 10), not dex. I might be thinking of something else though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I don't think it'll always show your ghost to someone whose ghost you see, but bonfire ghosts are of people actively there based on my experience co-oping with friends.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Black Knight Sword can carry you through a large part of the game and still be completely viable at end game. If you get one early on you might as well try it out.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Beating Ornstein and Smough on your second attempt is a pretty impressive accomplishment even if you are really leveled in my opinion.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Anything with a spear is my favorite. It just feels so fun to smash their stupid loving turtle shells wide open and skewer them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Pretty sure I have someone around that level, I'll give it a shot. It shows your steam name.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Tarezax posted:

Matchmaking is done by soul level. That guy was probably SL 1 with a fully upgraded high stability shield. Since it's possible to finish the game at SL 1 it's also possible to take your SL1 endgame character into the starting zones and wreck people with your fully upgraded endgame gear.

This is the official sport of Lordran.

PVP gets better the further in the game you go, because (most) people don't make a character to sit at the rough SL range for every given area to invade. Just a few of them.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Angrymog posted:

Upgraded to Windows 10.

DS 1 won't launch - just loads to a black screen and freezes.

Have done the following

- Put it into Windows 7 compatibility mode
- Cleaned out my installation (including manually checking the folder was gone) and re-installed.
- Tried both the main and beta stream
- Renamed the opening movie because someone reported that that crashed the game on their system
- Manually installed the Direct X re-distributables

I'd suggest updating your drivers. Also restarting your computer after the reinstall if you haven't.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The lightning spear demons aren't really a big deal. If you run down the first buttress until they aggro, then run back up, one of them will fall off the side if you dance around on it long enough and the other is easy to kill solo.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The tail cuts on those two fights are the worst in the entire game. Each one has a very small window that only comes up once in awhile, so you can spend ages just constantly dodging and dodging and dodging and chasing after them hoping that this one time you'll be able to get a hit in.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Andrigaar posted:

I'm trying to run around as a Dex thief with a little bleed dagger and a rapier, but the Iron Golem is a big boring wall against me progressing. All I seem to be able to do is scratch at his ankles until I get so bored I gently caress up and die. Been trying to get the quick kill off the ledge, but it just takes too many swipes with little loving dagger to stagger him making it way harder than it should be.

Also wow... this hit box on his grab is as outright retarded as all of the grabs in DS2. That I forgot about until I started to teleport into his hand from fairly far away.

Summon Iron Tarkus, do nothing the entire fight.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Ariong posted:

How does one handle the giant coffin filled with 6 or 7 giant skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants? I can kill them with two swings of my sword, but I just can't deal with all of them before one of them gets a hit in, and then it's over. The angle of the higher ground makes it impossible to hit them with pyromancy from above.

You can hit them with pyromancys from the ledge, but it requires a lot of camera fiddling and waiting for them to be in the right position. Once you kill a few though you can fairly safely pull one at a time to fight normally.

Edit: plunging attacks also work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Foolster41 posted:

I didn't see anyone here mention it yet, not directly related, but it's dark souls.
:siren:[url]http://www.beastsofwar.com/dark-souls/steamforged-games-create-dark-
souls-board-game/[/url] :siren:

E: For some reason URL tag aren't working?

Formatting for urls is
code:
[url=urlhere]words you want it to show up as[/url]

iirc

[url=http://www.beastsofwar.com/dark-souls/steamforged-games-create-dark-
souls-board-game/]like so[/url]

E: or that didn't work either, don't I look silly

• Locked thread