Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

The Firesage is literally just a palette swap of the Stray Demon

The more that this gets brought up the more that I think that it's the other way around, it feels like all the Asylum stuff was just added in after-the-fact so they could reuse the area. Take the moveset of the Firesage, slap it onto a semi-normal looking Asylum Demon, call it a bonus fight, toss in a slab as the reward for killing him and put a few black knights around the place, call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Thankfully I managed to grind out the balder shield rather quickly and it is indeed amazing. The Balder Side sword seems so drat impossible to grind out that I think I'll just kill the burg merchant and be done with that.

Thanks for the tips!

WAAAIIIIT

Don't go to the bottom of Blighttown yet. Go to the forest, talk to a cat, join her covenant, walk outside to where a bunch of NPCs were attacking you, talk to a dude with a giant curved sword + fancy armor, talk to him until he repeats himself, then go to Blighttown. When you reach the end of the swamp and find the shortcut out the back way, he'll be there to sell you things. It's way more convenient to take care of this now than it is to go do this sidestuff later, otherwise it's a pain in the rear end to buy any of his weapons until you come back after beating a midgame area

e: nevermind I read your post history in this thread, not a problem then I guess

leaving this post up for posterity in case there's coincidentally a new guy about to gear up for blighttown somewhere

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SilkyP posted:

I'm having trouble installing the DSFix. I downloaded the newest version 2.0.1 I think and tranfer the files into the DS directory in steam. I doesn't seem to let me start after I do this. I was wondering If I need to download as earlier version of the fix or what. I've tried different variations on the files moved and nothing seems to work. Any tips?

Disable DSFix, open up Dark Souls, turn off anti-aliasing, quit the game to desktop, then try DSFix again.

Don't forget to edit the DSFix .cfg to tweak your settings, too

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Here's a fun fact: If you wait to get the drake sword until way later in the game when Solaire is standing at the altar, you can get cocky with trying to hit the dragon's tail and nail Solaire square in the fuckin head

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you're going to 24 STR, just go to 27 STR. That will give you the option to use any weapon, including the C/C split weapons, at full damage (if you 2H them)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mans posted:

I don't know what they were thinking with the Bed of Chaos. What was up with the giant fly that allowed me to one hit her? :wtc:

The Four Knights were creepy. Maybe it was the way you were stranded in the middle of emptyness fighting giant ghouls but it really creeped me out. Great boss though, great combination of making you do as much damage as possible while dodging your targets' attacks AND the spawning knights.

What do i do now? I've got all the lord souls and i did the Oolacicle area. Is there anything else to do?

Yes, and no. Once you go back to where the Lordvessal was placed you do a thing with the souls and access the last area + final boss. Before you do that, you should ascened a weapon into one of each type (you don't need to make them maxed out, just put one on each ascension path). When you do this, you can upgrade each weapon using the materials you have whenver you want, either this playthrough or the next. You can do all that upgrading at a bonfire with the smith box, you only need blacksmiths to ascend weapons on a certain upgrade path.

After you've gotten one of each type of weapon (regular (at least +11), raw, crystal, fire (at least +6), chaos, lightning, divine (at least +6), occult, magic (at least +6), and enchanted, you can kill all the blacksmiths for their unique hammers + a unique helm from one of them. Then take your Dark Hand (if you don't have one, kill Darkwraiths until one drops a Dark Hand) and use it on every single NPC left alive to get their humanity. Then kill them for their souls + extra humanity. After you've killed everyone, go finish out the last area + beat the final boss, and start NG+

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Everybody is trapped in a purgatory of sorts, with you being the one that controls it. In the end, everybody dies a gruesome and horrible death to a player that has quite obviously gone hollow, because there's nothing left to collect in the world. After that, the player goes and kills the last person left to kill, and finds themselves back at the start of the loop, only with everything they collected previously.

So it's time to go collect it all again :darksouls: :getin:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lightning shotels are mean and fun as Lautrec cosplay

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Demon's Great Machete is fantastic in so many ways for pure strength builds, same goes for the Demon Greataxe

Zweihander isn't a pure STR weapon, it has C/C scaling. Same with the Greatsword. What you want to do with those weapons is boost yourself up to a 27/40 STR/DEX quality build, get 30 FTH for Sunlight Blade, and dump the rest into VIT and END.

The Greatsword moveset is just like the Claymore's moveset, but slower, and that moveset is my favorite in the game. You can hit like a goddamn truck, but still get a long-range thrusting poke.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

Crossposting this, I guess. I made a neat little primer on Sorcery and its many applications in PVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5eDZqrQQ7A

(Sorcery. Not even once)

Holy poo poo, that was fantastic.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Would this be a good "gotcha" build for people expecting the usual TCC Dark Bead/CSS assholes?

http://mmdks.com/1rzv

Surprise I'm actually an extremely annoying super-stunlocking greatsword/long-range poke rear end in a top hat

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The idea was more to give the appearance of being somebody just there to sling spells and then bust out two really annoying weapons instead. The MLGS has insane stunlocking potential (essentially if you don't weapon-shuffle-cancel you're dead) and the moonlight butterfly horn is a great harassment weapon

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I should dump the offensive spells and do chameleon

Can you apply hidden weapon to either of those?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Basically the large club is better all around because of its moveset, the R2s on the Great Club come out like molasses.

Best hammer weapon (in my opinion) is the Warpick though, just because it actually has a combo and I'm a sucker for one-two combos :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

redweird posted:

The Large Club also has a hilarious 2h R2. I've got a strength character and one dropped off the first ogre in Blighttown. I'm gonna use it for the rest of the game.

Also the Great Club has only B scaling but the Large Club has A, weighs less, and poisons.

Great Club has an A rank in scaling, you just need to get it up to +15 first.

They both end up an A, probably near a mid-high-ish A too, but the Large Club probably has better scaling while the Great Club has better base damage. Great Club just starts as a B instead of an A

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just checked and the AR difference is negligible, like maybe 15 AR total

Great Club just isn't worth it with those bad, bad R2s compared to the good Large Club R2s

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So ignoring all other buffs and stuff, the Large Club has a kickass moving R2, fast 2H R2 in comparison to the GC, better scaling (leading to near same damage output) and it poisons too

Large Club is such a good weapon :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Have all healing be disabled on invasions, for both host and invader. Both of them get back to full health when the invasion follows through.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Way of White should have boosted force-related powers, Princess Guard should have boosted any and all healing spells, and Sunbros should have boosted the lightning spells.

That way when put it all together there were several ways to choose to make FTH stuff more powerful.

Also, healing spells should have been actually useful

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Two hats? I know about the Dusk Crown, but what's the other one?

Gwyndolin's hat gives a 10% boost with no drawbacks

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Do you have anti-aliasing turned off in the in-game graphics options?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Robot Randy posted:

gently caress the police comin straight from the underground/ Young Hollow got it bad cuz he brown

Gankers With Attitude

Express Yourself
[dah doo doo]
*thunk* VERY..GOOD

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Honestly just use the Silver Knight Sword. It looks really cool and doesn't suck

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

To anyone with a Leo Ring Lucerne build: have you tried using the Warpick? I just realized it's probably the least used weapon in the game and I was wondering if it would become good ala the Lucerne, since it does deal 100% thrusting damage.

Yes. Its attacks chain together and its all thrust damage. Make it your backup elemental weapon, though. C/D is a bit bad for scaling.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ClaytonClaw posted:

Why do you stop at 40 dex? I feel I've seen it in other builds too.

I guess microsoft had problems with the live thing yesterday, today I get a lot less signs. I thought I knew the crystal cave well but it's pretty difficult without the signs.

Most stats give a poor return on scaling damage past 40. More points in it will add one or two damage per level, so it isn't worth it to boost that one instead of END or VIT

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Genocyber posted:

It isn't. Physical damage is only affected by strength and dex, and magic by intelligence and faith. Elemental damage isn't affected by any stats. There are some exceptions to this, like the Epee in DeS which has fire that scales with Magic.

The dragonslayer spear's lightning damage scales with FTH, for an example

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Beer Jerky posted:

Are there any sinners online who would like to help me advance my Darkmoon Blade membership?
I was going to highlight an easy Harpy farming guide, but with DSCFix released now I just realized that it'd be way easier to add somebody to your friend list and repeatedly attempt to invade them :psyduck: Being able to farm PVP reliably is such a foreign concept to me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Never ever in a million years use the Ring of Steel Protection. It is garbage poo for dumb people. It adds 50 to your defense scores, sure, but there are so very few cases where that will actually matter. You are never going to encounter pure poo poo-kicking physical damage that will be in any meaningful way mitigated by having that extra 50 points. If you're midrolling with the FAP ring and DWGR, ditch the DWGR and get Havel's ring instead. Use the extra equip burden to put on any medium armor that will give you a decent amount of poise, something like Elite Knight will work wonders. If you can't wear the entirety of the Elite Knight set, swap out the helmet or boots for the Warrior's set helm and boots. You'll lose a bit of poise, but get back some weight in return.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Another fun gimmick: INT weapon buff build, use only crystal magic and the TCC with the crystalline set. Run around with a crystal shield bought off of Domnhall and a great sword to buff with CMW

I don't have the character creator in front of me but I bet you could squeeze it into a str/quality build

Only thing is, no parries

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The teleporting thing just sounds like bad lag. If they were using Quelaag's, I'd doubt they'd be able to make a working speedhack.

Quelaag's with the curse attribute?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Oh, you mean Snake Eater? :v:

Drake Eater :v:

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

in a streeeeaaaaaaam

Drake Eaaaateeeeeer

you diiiiied

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Here's a question for you, Tallgeese: do holy miracles like emit force and WoG kill skeletons permanently, or is it solely divine weapons? Is there anything to suggest that anything besides Divine weapons were slate to kill skeletons?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is grant a Divine-type weapon, then? Because I could definitely see the property being attached to a weapon like it's a buff of some kind

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wait, the Covenant of Artorias provides a buff?

e; vv I mean an actual buff, rather than just plot immunity to dying from the abyss.

Pretty much everything in this game is a buff. If my assumption is right, being Divine is actually just a buff on a weapon--it's why Grant's R2 does holy damage that can kill skeletons, like how you can enchant the Dragon King Greataxe or Obsidian Greatsword and use their R2 attacks to deal that enchantment's damage.

It's really loving weird that they would make it give a buff, and then bypass the buff entirely when they perform that little check to see if you can walk in the Abyss or not. I'm guessing Tallgeese was trying to see if he could permanently apply the buff to his character in some way so that he didn't have to lose a ring slot, or maybe he just forgot to put on the Covenant of Artorias one too many times because he's a dumb-dumb :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love it when losers twink that loving hard to max DPS for PVP, but their overall "edge" is going to be like 20 or so extra damage once you factor in magic resist vs lightning resist on a character most likely made to invade at a level low enough that they don't even get a good boost out of their magadj for faith

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Always pick sunlight blade. It has more casts, deals damage with less resists around to it, doesn't require covenant loyalty, and looks baller as gently caress anyway. DMB has a slight edge in one department but its very high maintenance and not good if you want to be lazy

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kly posted:

I've just started playing this and I'm really enjoying it so I started to read this thread. I'm about 30 pages in and it's filled with nothing but whiners crying about KB+M controls or performance issues with their lovely systems. Anyone know how many pages in I should go to get to people actually talking about the game or am I better off reverse reading this thread?

Holy poo poo this thread is 930 pages long. You have 900 more pages to read at the rate you're going.

If you really want to get the Dark Souls experience then don't read this thread, go find the console thread and read it from the beginning. This thread was made well after when the game came out during a flurry of people bitching about an admittedly bad port. Keep in mind that these two threads make up a shitload of the posts in games.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Spruchy posted:

Beat the game for the second time this morning (first time on PC), amazing as always.

Tempted to do NG+ for the first time, just worried it won't be as interesting with my gear pretty much capped out and infrequent leveling.

Whatever, I'll probably do it.

You will get your poo poo smashed in by everything you thought was easy, because of hubris.

My wake-up moment was doing my usual parry-riposte run through the dudes outside of the undead burg, right next to firelink, and getting half my health torn off by the first swing :stare:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Anybody else stand around the forest yesterday in the Mask of the Mother? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crackbone posted:

Sorry, Dark Souls superstar. From Software can do no wrong, and in no way should the game be more accessible even after you've beaten it.

Hey Dark Souls newcomer, welcome to a series that started out with the concept of making you simultaneously loathe dying while making it not such a big deal. Here's a few more reasons why your idea is dumbbad

• It defeats the point of the bloodstain entirely
  • It modernizes/streamlines a game that prides itself on following difficult/frustrating old school design ideas
  • It opens the game up to exploitation when somebody inevitably item dupes the gently caress out of it
  • It lets you throw yourself into a meat grinder when you might benefit from going elsewhere instead
  • It defeats the point of the bloodstain entirely

No seriously, bloodstains exist as a second chance for dying because you hosed up. It's like just barely missing a passing grade on an important test, and your teacher lets you retake it. Besides the fact that it encourages you to keep playing while also punishing you for losing, it also has the much more important benefit of constantly refining the skills that the game indirectly teaches you, because they will be applicable later, and if you could just skip past the areas that exist to reinforce little things then you won't be as good at them down the road.

Until you're prancing through Anor Londo buck-naked and fist-parrying the Silver Knights up until the O&S fog door, you haven't done enough refining that you can say "oh well i don't need to learn this anymore I'll just use this item beep boop"

Now, there is one way I could see an item like this working, and it's pretty simple: the exact opposite of the Darksign. You can teleport back to wherever your bloodstain last was, on two conditions: your bloodstain had at least %__ percent of the souls you need to level up on it, and by using the item, you forfeit the souls. Then it basically serves as a "second chance" instead of "item that somebody would dupe the gently caress out of on Day 1"

On top of that, you couldn't spam it. You get one shot, basically. Added bonus: SL1 runs, which will die more, can use it more often because they need less souls to do so

• Locked thread