Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

First time player here. I'm in the depths, which sure looks like it's this game's sewer level. I came across a giant rat, presumably the end boss of the level, but I fell down a hole and now I'm in a deep area with poison frogs. How big is this area drag, because I'm getting seriously sick of these tunnels? Also, are there more than 2 exits (as in, the entrance you enter, and the (assumed) exit)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Cursed frogs?

cursed, poison, I honestly never notice the difference; until the effect is maxed out (never gotten cursed).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

also i'm sure the next area will be much nicer

Son of a ... what's this poo poo? gently caress you dark souls!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, I have an item question re:blighttown. I'd post a screenshot but I just died from archers and, as it turns out, lighting a bonfire does not in fact turn it into your spawn point :bang:. Near the bonfire on the bridge, I saw an item on the roof of a building, but I have no idea how to get up there. Under the item/roof, if you continue you get to a very rickety bridge with either a lost soul or a humanity, one of the two. How do I get to the item on the roof?

Attendum: the rickety bridge, is it purely an optical illusion or do the floorboards actually move? In other words, can my gall fall off even when standing still because the bridge moved from under her?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Blighttown wouldn't be so terrible without the infinitely respawning mosquitoes. I can deal with the poison swamp, the toxic snipers, the swarms of rear end in a top hat molemen, and the fatties but I hate those bugs so much.

Edit:

The item you see before reaching the bonfire? You're gonna have to do a leap of faith and make sure you land on the platform and not fall into the area with three molemen who'll jump you before you can even take an estus shot.

no, it's on much higher elevation than the bridge is. I think it's the highest point on that side of the level. Also I managed to aggro those molemen 1 at a time with ranged attacks - might be a helpful tip?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pun pundit posted:

You have to jump at it from the very beginning of the level. Where you come in after fighting the big dudes with clubs, and Blighttown first opens up in front of you, there's a little ramp to the left that ends in nowhere. you can jump from there to the item.

Also, the bridges actually move, yes.

Yep. I found the leap of faith ledge. and missed. Ah well.

On a different note: does sliding down ladders make more noise than climbing down them?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What and where would I find early dex-based weapons for my 2nd character? Killed the gargoyles and their tail weapon seems like the only half-decent dex weapon. Am I missing something? (playing as the wanderer. Scemitar is getting annoying for its lack of kick and weird power attacks)

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 5, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God damned, is there a way to parry the broadsword knights? I can't figure out when to press the parry button and end up thrown up in the air/curbstomped to hell and back.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Who do you mean by broadsword knights? The Black Knights with Greatswords?
Generally you can parry everything that is your size or a bit larger. And you generally have to press the button later then you think.

I meant greatswords, yes. Like the one near the undead burg bridge.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A question: I just had a weird situation where I just re-humanized and kindled the bonfire. When I left the tower with the bonfire, a fog door appeared in front of the bonfire and blocked me from accessing the bonfire area. Is this an early warning that I'm going to be invaded?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Usually, yes.

Good thing I quit then.

edit: now that i think about it, is it possible and are there penalties for quitting the game the moment someone invades you? Getting a little tired of being killed by guys in high-level gear and far better (lag-adjusted) skills than I have.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 6, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

speaking of bows, what's a good ranged weapon for a dex user as a sidearm - to weaken the enemy before engaging, not as a focus build? Crossbow, small bow, longbow, ... ?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Goddamned. Advice needed. I just killed queelag. Before ringing the bell, I went to explore a bit, found a hidden wall with a guy behind it, who asked if I was a servant. Just after I said yes, I had unexpected visitors from my parents, so I alt-F4'd the game to accelerate the quitting the game process (aside, who in their insane minds thought it a good idea to force you go back to main menu via the promo splash screen before allowing you to quit the game?).

Later I restarted the game, continued the character ... and fell straight through the level geometry. I died by colliding with a building below me. Just before I died the screen flashed "demon town" or something. And I can't find my souls anywhere near the area I was in.

Would I be able to recover those souls, and if so do I need to go to this demon town, and if so is it at all feasable to get through on a first go through the area? I've never gotten further than blighttown before.

That's 28000 souls and 3 humanity I might lose due to bullshit.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 8, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't do that. Not every weapon is good without scaling. Just stick with the Zweihander if you don't have the stats in anything.

Demon Ruins are down the path opposite the guy behind the hidden wall, try that. If they're not there, well... Oh well, I guess. :v: 28k is a lot where you are but in the grand scheme of things you've lost like one level.

Not demon ruins. Demon town.

edit: given that I can find no souls anywhere in the area, not in blighttown, not in queelaag's domain, not in demon ruins, I assume they're somewhere inaccessible.

I hate asking this, but is there a way to noclip in dark souls? My souls might be on the place that I died at.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Dark Souls 2 added a global "disappeared souls" counter (among others)

as of this post it's 12,849,399,757,106 and that's just the ps3 (pc has thrice that but there's probably some hex editing going on).

Sorry you've gone hollow over 10k.

The problem with you all veterans is that you've seen how many souls you get later on. First time through, you lack that perspective.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was just fighting the boss in Sen's Fortress (the iron golem?) and I was having abit of a difficult time.

Until I disabled the lock-on system and got a much better view of the arena/enemy animations. Holy hell does that make a difference!

Did I hamstring myself by locking on to every enemy I encountered so far?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Siegmeyer is adorable! He's basically my mascot and easily my favourite character to run into.

man certainly knows how to sell that helmet

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

When is the time to go into the Catacombs? I'm currently in Anor Lando, that lady and her knights disappeared (presumably on their quest) and one of them, the guy that's already there when the game starts, returned with some unfortunate tales to tell.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In Anor Lando, is it normal to do peanuts damage to the titanite demon? I've got a +9 balder side sword which is pretty much my most damagedealing weapon (also got a nice upgraded bandit blade for those backstabs and bleed) but it's ... not very effective. I might have missed a good dex-based weapon?

also is the crimson armor set the best low-weight armor at this point in the game?

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 15, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I accidentally got myself caught in the Painted World (didn't know this area was a thing until too late). How do I get out? I'm feeling a bit underpowered for the area... (wayward bone or however it's called just sent me back to the beginning of the level)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Should I be concerned that every time I kill one of these forest-dwelling chucklefucks, an ominous sound plays? I paid 20,000 goddamned magic-dollars for this magic key and that should at least entitle me to a peaceful stroll through the forest without being harassed by shitlicks and magicians, right?

Also, it never ceases to amuse me when I stumble across a bloodstain, activate it, and watch somebody run around for 7-8 seconds. "They're not even fighting somebody, how are they going to die in the two remaining seconds?" And then in that last 1 or 2 seconds, you see them just leap over nothingness and vanish. This seems to be a shockingly common death for people visiting the moody, caged weaponsmith in New Londo Ruins. Probably because the place is dark as hell and those stairs definitely don't continue down into the void. That dude has probably killed more players than Queelag, given how often there are bloodstains out in front of his cage.

For me he quite often killed me (it totally doesn't happen anymore guys, honest) because I press "B" one time too often when quitting his menus. Leading to a backstep.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it ever explained why you get pulled into the past by douchebag dumbbossfight?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what the hell? Dark souls has given up the ghost for me. Yesterday it worked fine, today it crashes at startup with no exceptions. Tried compatibility mode. Tried verifying integrity of game cache. Tried redownloading. Disabled Dsfix. Nothing works. Game also takes ages to start up (it crashes in the beginning, when you get a black screen while loading). Also doesn't seem to produce a crash log, no surprise there.

The hell is going on?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are offensive sorceries (soul arrow and its crystal variant, soul spear) useful at all for pvp? It seems pvp its far too easy to figure out when to dodge and its the caster who is left at a disadvantage... What am I doing wrong?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Sif is my favorite fight for all the extra animations it has at low health.

sif is my least favorite fight because <be weary of sorrow>

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I think I'm done with dark souls multiplayer. There isn't any jolly cooperation be found anywhere except the gargoyles, smough/ornstein and the tauros demon, and on those locations there are usually 4 summoning signs when there are only 5 people online, so everyone but 1 person gets to sit around and do nothing

And pvp is filled with builds designed specifically to have high-level gear on low-level characters so they can curbstomp people around parish and burg. There is no fun to be had here.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a question: whenever I open up the "players" tab for GFWL, at maximum it'll say that there are about 8 people online, usually 5 or less. Is this globally, or just on whatever server GFWL decided to place me? And if the latter, is it possible to migrate to a more populated server?

I'm trying to improve my sunbro status but it's a bit tricky when there are only 5 people online, and I count 3 soapstone summoning signs and 1 invading player.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It does. From what I understand there's no direct way to see how many players you're P2P connected to. There's probably more than the invader and summon signs around since I don't think it exclusively matches you with people within your soul level range, but yeah there really isn't much online traffic anymore.

I'm talking about this:

The "2 online" stat. Is this globally, serverwide, a random connection that the game made?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

It's of the people you have recently interacted with in the list below it, like Vil said.

I must have misunderstood. So there is literally no way to know how many people are currently online.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

After way too much DS2 I think I want to do another playthrough of DS1. I want to do a Dex build since I never have before but don't really know anything about what is where for that in the original game. Any tips on what to look for and how to build my character, bows to use, boss weapons to keep an eye for (and what weapons I need for that, if I can remember how the upgrade path works), things like that? I'm not really going to care too much about pvp.

IMO bows are useless except for very circumstantial opportunities (sniping an enemy from across the chasm, shooting them to agro 1 of a pack, that sort of thing). Weapon-wise the balder guys at undead parish will very occasionally drop the balder side sword, one of the best dex-based weapons period. Other good dex weapons are rapiers, scimitars and falchions (falchions are basically scimitars 2.0 so if you can grab one from the skeletons in graveyard, excellent. Low drop chance though).

very weird weapons, but iirc the scythes are decent dex scaling weapons maybe?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've never gotten into miracles. Sorcery is a ton of fun, but I don't see the synergies you can apparently get through miracles (other than tranquil walk of peace, and I despise that miracle)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I've completely forgotten; what determines how much damage the Hellkite's flame breath does? A quarter of the time it's an instant kill, the rest it's half damage. I do nothing different on any occasion.

Also, jesus gently caress since when did Havel have a 360 degree spin attack god drat it.

e: Alright I give up on Havel he's killing me by hitting the wall next to me after I've rolled behind him.

e: Between Havel's assfucking, the Hellkite just randomly killing me, and now the boar not giving me the boar helm after killing it first try this replay of Dark Souls is not off to a fun start.

just parry havel it's easy.

just kidding havel is a bitch to fight, I usually end up dodging and backstabbing the prick. Hellkite I leave alone until I've got a +15 weapon and curbstomp that annoying piece of typhoid pusstained mothball.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Flytrap posted:

If you kill him before they go down, they attack you on sight.

even after getting absolution?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

titanite demons are pretty easy due to the safe spot on their sides. Provided you have room to maneuver they're pretty much a fight of attrition rather than a DPS race

pun pundit posted:

The hydra is really weak to lightning spear, but you need to be careful about when you cast it because of range issues. Throwing a spear just when it's about to lunge at you is perfect.

i wonder: the ring that extends bow range, does it also affect spells and/or miracles?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

God I hate the Stray Demon so much. An attack that hits the entire arena even though the hitbox is like a fifth of it? Yes please!

When you see him raise his club vertically, back up a few meters behind the demon. The AOI is mostly in front of the attack.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The real hard part is the start when you drop down, then it's a race to see if you can get behind him before his attack is completed

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Well I killed that guy for his bow. :smith:

Also wow, the Falchion is absolute garbage. Oh boy a total of 30 damage to Artorias! And none of the straight swords dropped so I have the rear end, the catch pole (which can at least do 75 damage so that's something), and the lightning falchion. I have zero chunks to make something else not garbage with. I hosed up everything possible on this run. Dex sucks and is dumb and I hate it. <:mad:>

Go to the catacombs, grab the great scythe. Upgraded it's a beast of a weapon and holy hell is it fun to use.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know I have talked about Kingseeker Frampt being creepy as poo poo when you initially encounter him, but there was something really unsettling about first meeting "Gwynevere" in her chambers. Something about this gigantic figure who is obscured by lighting. Almost menacing, really. Maybe it's the proportions. Maybe it's the boob window.

try ranged battle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

at least he's honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nahxela posted:

hyper armor backstepping through boulders is also cool as gently caress

what does this even mean?

• Locked thread