Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I've had some issues with kicks and jump attacks as well. The most reliable way I've found is pressing RB/RT just a split second before moving the stick, but even then it's iffy. Thankfully you're never actually required to perform those moves.

Though kicking NPCs over edges is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I was thinking about doing a crossbow only challenge and I've got two questions for the experts in this thread.

1. Are there any differences between the Light and Heavy Crossbow aside from weight and damage? Different reload times or poise break maybe?

2. What's the best upgrade path, standard +15 with Heavy Bolts or Lightning for the better synergy with Lightning Bolts? The latter seems to do more overall damage, but has to pass two defensive stats and Lightning Bolts are really expensive.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is there any reason why you'd ever want to turn Anor Londo dark? I was curious to see if it unlocked anything special, but as far as I can tell it just makes the area more annoying, since your lock-on range is reduced and you always teleport to the first bonfire if you die, even if it no longer works. It seems like such a strange design decision.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah I realised after I posted that that's actually true and I was just being contratian as h*ck because it seemed funny. It wasn't. Sorry Samuel Clemens.

Nah, your point was fair. I don't mind the lack of unique loot, I just thought the storyline consequences would be more interesting than Anor Londo turning dark and the respawn mechanic glitching out.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I haven't encountered any hackers on the PC, though in the early game you'll get a lot of people who kept their level purposefully low and invade you with endgame gear, which usually means certain death. Thankfully, they become much rarer once you defeat the Gargoyles. If you don't want to deal with invasions at all you can just stay hollow throughout the game, but this also means you won't be able to summon for boss fights.

If you'd like to play a melee focused character, I'd recommend the Warrior class. He starts with 13 Str and Dex, which lets you use a lot of different weapons right from the get-go. After that, just experiment and find a weapon with a moveset you like, then start upgrading it. It's really hard to permanently mess up your build as long as you don't put everything into resistance.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The final area of the DLC is by far the easiest place to farm humanity. There's very little risk and the enemy drop rate is crazy. Though as others have pointed out, using the Cheat Engine is much more convenient.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

The problem is my pretty princess dressip is Elite Knights/Steel.

I feel your pain. I love the Brass Armor set and I love oversized weapons, but using both makes it nearly impossible to fastroll. :saddowns:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Giving up at O&S on a spear run is pretty funny, considering they drop the greatest ring for that type of build.

Also, the Silver Knight Spear is an absolute beast when you're two-handing it. Easily carried me through NG+.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kaathe's also responsible for the destruction of Oolacile, so whatever his intentions, his track record isn't exactly stellar.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah I think the magic bonus damage gets applied to every one of the pokes in the rapid poke attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHngyT-h980

Yes. Yes it does.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Its been a long time since I last played dark souls, and I am wanting to try a and int build. It can have melee mixed in if needed. What should I do to best enjoy int?

Once you arrive at Firelink Shrine, head down to New Londo and buy Soul Arrow from Rickert. That gives you 60 casts, more than enough to deal with every enemy in the first few areas. Once you free Griggs in lower Undead Burg, you can buy a third copy of the spell as well as Great Soul Arrow. Now you'll never run out of spells again, so enjoy nuking everything.

The only downside to this kind of run is that it's fairly boring, since you'll deal with every enemy by just standing back and casting spells.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to finish a Zweihander Strength playthrough

you can ground-slam stun Smough out of the air when he's about to do his butt slam :allears:

The Zweihander's a lot of fun, but recently I've fallen in love with the Demon Great Machete. Such a wicked looking weapon and its damage output on a pure strength build is crazy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

I've collected 62 dung pies trying to (unsuccessfully) farm a large club from the three barbarians near the New Londo Ruins :emo:

Starting from the Depths bonfire is probably faster, since you don't have to ride an elevator every time. Though yeah, getting the Large Club to drop is a giant pain, which is why I usually just go with the Great Club you get for free at the bottom of Blighttown.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, well in that case you might as well just pick up the Great Club. It takes about five minutes to get from Firelink and it does more damage than the Large Club anyway.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you're fighting Manus without a shield, stay at medium range and wait for him to attack. This video of someone doing the battle on NG+7 and at level 1 does a good job showing the timing of Manus' moves and when it's safe to hit him.

Flumpus posted:

Makes me feel bad for whoever designed the Sanctuary Guardian, not really a bad boss, but pales in comparison to the other three.

Sanctuary Guardian's biggest weakness is that he has a lot less health than the other bosses, which means the fight is usually over very quickly. On NG+ I'd say he's actually harder than Artorias, though that might just be because I'm a lot less familiar with his moveset.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Awesome! posted:

someday i will figure out how to magic because other than bosses i find melee much easier to get through areas with. even ng+ melee vs ng magic

When you have Hidden Body, why bother fighting anything that's not a boss?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Vil posted:

FTFY. If you're going to avoid everything, might as well go for the version without a time limit. Obviously swap useful rings back on for when you actually have to fight.

The invisibility effect of the Ring of Fog is less powerful though, and the three casts of Hidden Body usually last long enough for any problematic situation, especially when you also equip the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Finally seeing phantoms in the pc version too; but really only in the depths. Got invaded there too but I crushed the guy pretty easily.

Are you talking about the guy who invades you near the basilisks? Because that's not a human player.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Now that Steam has an actual refund policy, there's no reason not to try out Dark Souls 2. Play it for two hours and see if you like the gameplay changes. If not, you can just get your money back.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

glomkettle posted:

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but I actually like the controls in DS1 more than 2 and find 2 a lot more frustrating and difficult to me just because everything feels slightly off.

Turning agility into an actual stat was a mistake and I don't like how "floaty" heavy weapons feel, but otherwise the controls in DS2 are fine. The game's problems mostly lie in the enemy and level design.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

How... strange. Is the playerbase still active enough to warrant it?

It's reasonably active for such an old game. According to Steam Stats, there were about 4000 people playing Dark Souls today; more than vanilla Dark Souls 2, but less than Scholar of the First Sin.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Limbo mod is fanastic. Anyone who enjoys Dark Souls should do a playthrough with it at least once, preferrably with the music off. It's a strangely surreal and haunting experience. Some areas look insanely pretty in grayscale, particularly Darkroot Garden and Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

The only downside is that you won't see any particle effects, so, uh, I hope you know the timing of Moonlight Butterfly's attacks.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Honestly, neither Super Ornstein nor Super Smough are particularly hard. The difficult part of the fight is the first phase, where you're facing them both at the same time. The reason people recommend taking out Ornstein first is simply because he's much easier to isolate than Smough.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Popular Human posted:

I'm not sure how much you guys want to hear thoughts from people playing through the second half of this game for the first time, but I wanted to share something I think is really cool about this game once you pick up the Lordvessel.

We always appreciate new players sharing their experiences in this thread, so keep us updated. There's not much else going on in here, and your posts bring back fond (and not so fond) memories of my own first playthrough.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Popular Human posted:

What should I do next: go through the Graveyard and find this Nito guy, or find out what's behind that big yellow light door in Anor Londo?

Have you been to lava land yet? You'll find an item there that's very handy for Nito's zone.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Popular Human posted:

I went to fight Gwyndolin and died. Now the big pillar in the center of Anor Londo is stuck at the lowest setting, and because I killed Gwynevere and the fire keeper, I got sent to the OG bonfire near the AL entrance when I died. Did I just screw myself out of fighting Gwyndolin? I can't see any way to get back down to the tomb where she's hiding.

You can run to the first bonfire in the Duke's Archives and warp to Gwyndolin's bonfire from there. It's a bit annoying, but it doesn't take much time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Installing PVP Watchdog should do the trick. Unless the latest update broke it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

fennesz posted:

Those of your who are still active with PvP: is cheating still as rampant as it used to be? I'm thinking of making a new character for a PvP build but I'm not sure if it'll be a waste of time.

I haven't seen an actual cheater in a long time. Early on, you'll fight a lot of players who kept their levels deliberately low so they can invade with endgame gear, but that's only really an issue in the Undead Burg and Parish.

If you want to do 1v1 duels, Oolacile Township is going to be your best bet. It's still a very active place.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

Is level 30 too high for Quelaag PVE? I've been putting my sign down for half an hour but haven't gotten any hits. I'm trying to practice the fight via co-op before actually taking her on myself.

At level 30, you can be summoned by anyone between level 18 and 44, which is just fine for Quelaag. Are you putting your sign right next to the swamp bonfire? That's generally the best place to get summoned.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm also in the market for a weapon recommendation. I've got 20 VIT, 20 END and 20 STR, and I've been using a Claymore +5. I like the moveset, so I might just stick with it, but if there are any similar weapons with better scaling or whatever, I'd love to hear about them. I really liked the Bastard and Mastodon swords in DS2.

The Bastard Sword is in this game as well, Andre sells it. It's slightly stronger than the Claymore, but has less reach. Also, once you're done with Blighttown, you'll come to an area that's filled with snake-like enemies. Their rare drop is the Man-Serpent Greatsword, which is basically the Claymore, but for pure Strength builds. With your stats, it's definitely worth a try.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Azran posted:

Also, now that this game got moved over to Steamworks, is there no way to guarantee I can play along with a particular person? We are less than 600km away from each other, and he keeps getting people from the US and Europe instead of me. I am lvl28, he's lvl19, human, and the boss isn't dead yet.

Are you both using the same Steam region?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Not only are the bushes vulnerable to thrusting attacks, the BSS also has a ridiculous damage modifier on its R2 moves. One of the main reasons why it's considered a top-tier weapon.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's a shame gravelording is so rare in this game. It's a really neat idea.

Azran posted:

Meanwhile I am playing back through it and I couldn't wait to get to Anor Londo and get warping back because holy poo poo it's such an annoyance when you need to backtrack through half the world every time you want a blacksmith and you are in the Depths/Blighttown.

The Depths and Upper Blighttown are definitely the most annoying areas to backtrack from. Thankfully, you never really have to do that unless you got cursed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Catacombs is one of my favourite levels in the game. There are a lot of ways to traverse through the area, a ton of items to pick up, and the skeletons have a surprisingly varied moveset, which makes parrying them a fun challenge. It's also available right from the beginning, so you can go down there early to get some good loot.

This is strangely hypnotic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

To be fair, the Black Knight in the Undead Burg is probably harder than the area boss on your first playthrough, since you most likely don't know how to parry him. Your friend's short-term memory is pretty bad, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

New Londo has the ember that lets you upgrade your weapon to +15, so heading there first is a good idea. It's a fairly easy area at higher levels, just make sure you have some poise.

As for Stray Demon, the easiest way to beat him is this. Approach his area from the side where all the torch hollows are and move forward until the floor breaks. Once you land down in the hole, immediately roll backwards and heal back to full health. Now, your next goal is to get behind him. His AoE attack extends mostly in front of him, so as long as you're behind his tail you're safe. From there on it's just a matter of being patient and attacking when it's safe.

If all else fails, equip the Crest Shield and block his spell. It will still do damage, but not that much, so you can easily just heal through it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'd say, check out the Painted World at least. It's not very long and the level design is fantastic. The DLC is also amazing, but longer and considerably harder, so if you're getting tired of the game, it might be better to save it for a second playthrough.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

So when doing a SL1 run is it acceptable to summon NPC helpers or does that ruin the challenge?

There's no rules to SL1 besides finishing the game without levelling up. Some people add more restrictions, like no summoning, not using pyromancies or crossbows, killing all bosses, picking every item, etc., but that's totally up to you. If you feel the game is more fun with summoning, go right ahead. It's an intended mechanic, after all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gwyn is a really fun fight if you don't parry or block, just because he's so relentless in attacking.

pun pundit posted:

This is only true for some weapons; others have too long a riposte recovery animation for you to have time to drink an estus.

The trick is to circle around him after the riposte. That way he has to turn to face you after getting up, which gives you enough time to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm not surprised, honestly. If these people wanted fair fights, they wouldn't become low level twinks. They don't actually enjoy the PvP aspects of Dark Souls, their satisfactions stems entirely from crushing their opponents. By fighting them on equal footing, you introduce the possibility of losing, and that just ruins their fun.

What I'm trying to say is, keep up the good work.

• Locked thread