Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sanzuo posted:

I'm guess you will pretty much have to play this with a gamepad. I can't see keyboard controls being very intuitive.

It's really just going to depend on how good the default control setup is/how customizable they made it. I've never played Dark Souls, but I did play a decent amount of Demon's Souls and I actually don't see any reason it wouldn't work fine with a mouse and keyboard.

Edit- I'm thinking about buying this and if I do I'm probably going to at least give it a shot with a M&KB before falling back on my gamepad.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SixtySix posted:

well for starters the Witcher landscape shot is a little different, artistically, than the starting dungeon cell in Dark Souls. One of them is supposed to look grimy and lovely and one of them is supposed to be a glorious colorful vista.

It's a pretty reasonable comparison just because it makes the flaws in DS kind of obvious. It's not that it's dark or grimy or whatever, it's that everything in the shot from the Witcher looks sharp while everything in the shot from DS (including the text) looks blurry. Seriously, I loved Demon's Souls and I'm totally going to buy this because I'm an impatient whore, but there's no reason to pretend that it's acceptable to sell a PC port for $40 and not even allow adjustable resolution. At least it sounds like framerate is a non-issue.

Anyway, does anyone know if GMG is actually handing out keys yet? Last time I ordered a Steamworks game from them it took about five days before I actually had the key. Normally I'd be fine with that to save a few bucks, but since it's only like $5 in this case I'm not sure if I should even bother.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Orv posted:

Midnight UTC apparently.

So basically the same time the Steam version unlocks. Cool, thanks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Toiwat posted:

Not really, no. Different engine, different developers, different development targets in the first place.

So, uh, you're saying it's only okay to compare games running on the same engine, by the same developers, with the same target platform? I don't get it. Literally any game running at a native resolution would work as a reasonable way to show off why rendering at a lower resolution and up scaling looks worse than just rendering at a display's native resolution.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

VarXX posted:

That's with AA off.

I think that's what he's saying. If you look at the aliasing along the edge of the character model you can see that the "pixels" look pretty huge, which wouldn't be the case if it was actually rendering at a higher resolution.

Edit- I could be wrong, though, it's honestly hard to tell from just one screenshot.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I can't believe people are circle jerking around him so much, when he hasn't even released the fix yet and is already panhandling for donations. Someone else is going to find the same thing within minutes of the game's proper release.

It's especially weird since his screenshots still don't really look right. In fact, they look like exactly what I'd expect to see if the game was actually rendering to a lower resolution framebuffer and then upscaling to whatever. But since he's not posting actual comparison shots it's incredibly difficult to tell whether there's any actual improvement over what the game is doing anyway.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The Gripper posted:

It's great because all he's really done is replaced calls to some DirectX crap, namely IDirect3DDevice9::CreateRenderTarget.

It seems like this wouldn't even work all that well if there are any post-processing effects that are rendering to off-screen targets with fixed sizes that are equal to or lower than the default resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Saphire_flames posted:

yeah just to emphasize, this isn't "better with a gamepad" like people say a lot of console ports are that are actually fine on kb/m, this is "literally impossible to play without a gamepad" unless you want to spend a long time figuring out what the various xbox 360 button prompts it pops up at your correspond to and download a 3rd party thing to get the loving mouse cursor off your screen, and even then it's pretty unpleasant.

Yeah. I stand by my assertion that this game would be totally fine with a decent keyboard & mouse implementation, but what they've done here is miserable. You've gotta have some serious self-loathing going on to put up with it for more than a couple of minutes.

• Locked thread