Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I got invaded for the first time, how do those healing spells work? Can invaders just heal infinitely?

Luckily he was an idiot that held down block near-constantly and had no idea how a rapier worked. But he kept running into groups of monsters to heal and I was afraid if I let him I'd run out of flasks eventually. So I baited monsters out and fought them as well, it was a tough fight but even after the guy figured out I could attack while blocking he still couldn't keep up because of his nasty habit to hold down block and lose stamina regen.

Should I attempt invading before I have a healing spell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I think I was just invaded by Ghandi. Naked dude, no weapons, just stood there and stared at us. My phantom buddy didn't take kindly to him, and since we were in the pit below blight town where infinite flying bugs spawn and I was running low on decent arrows I couldn't afford to show him any goodwill either.

Sorry Ghandi, you will be missed. =(

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Does anyone understand stat bonuses? I've read both the wikis and it still makes no sense.

So here is a weapon:

And then a weapon with both lower STR and DEX requirements:

The STR bonus goes up and DEX bonus goes down. :psyduck:

Do I get a smaller or larger bonus the higher my stats are above the requirements?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Node posted:

It took me five playthroughs of the game to find the illusory wall that led to the giant in Sen's fortress that opens the gate. I was shocked I was still discovering poo poo at that point.

Same goes for the hard soul item outside the Undead Asylum, and the hero soul you can grab after you kill the Deadly Archer Duo of Doom in Anor Londo. So much hidden poo poo, just like From Software's King's Field series. I love them so much.
I played through Sens well over 30 times before I beat the boss, hitting every wall along the way in a desperate search for any bonfire, key to that lift, or some other shortcut because running past all those blades and traps was becoming unbearable. When I found that hidden wall I was certain it was the secret path I needed; only to have my hopes crushed by another dead end. I really think Sens tops blight town in terms of frustration. What blight town has is oppressive and wears you down. Sens will gladly kill you for one mistake, and when you finally reach the boss he'll promptly throw you off the fortress you spent so long carefully climbing.

What really blew my mind was finding the entrance to Ash Lake. How can such a huge area of the game be so well hidden?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
This game has NPC invaders? :psyduck:

I've been unhollowed for a good period of time before most bosses, but I'm nearly certain I've never been invaded by a non-human player and I'll tell you why. Things I have been killed by while invading/being invaded: Fire.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
My first attempt at the Four Kings, 2 down and I'm nearly finished with the 3rd. Bam! Lost connection to Games For Windows Live. :argh:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Kicklighter posted:

It was almost as bad as the time I went through the Catacombs without a divine weapon, thinking I had to kick every single skeleton off a ledge to get them to stay dead.
The skeletons stop reconstituting when you kill the necromancer for that part. What do divine weapons do?

I'm thinking of trying Catacombs and killing Pinwheel before attempting Blighttown. My new character is a dummy STR build with a club which I've found extraordinarily effective against skeletons. Then again, I would like to have the covetous gold serpent ring when killing the black knight with the greataxe, but if I wait until then and come back with 10 humanity I'm sure the axe wont drop anyways because :darksouls:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Francostein posted:

Is there anything worthwhile in the depths/beginning of blight town for a str character aside from the pyromancy guy and ember (I picked those up already). I'm thinking of suicide rushing the spider shield in the valley of the drakes and then just going straight to quelaag after picking up the firekeepers soul instead of going the normal route.
There's a spider shield in the depths right above the giant rat miniboss. Go to the kitchen where you fought the butcher and found the ember in the chest. Break the crates in that area and you'll find a poopchute right behind the butcher's table that he's been dropping bones down. Go down that poopchute and you'll find the spider shield.

Raygereio posted:

Gwyn's difficulty depends on your ability to parry.
You can parry bosses!? I wish it were more clear which enemies can be parried. Only on my 2nd game did I realize I could parry black knights and the trolls in blighttown. I had so much trouble with those trolls on narrow walkways where I couldn't dodge safely or get behind them, now I know to just parry-riposte and it's a breeze.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I really don't understand how damage works in this game.

So I have a +8 club and a +8 great club, both do strike damage. The 1H club takes like 10 hits to kill a giant sentry in anor londo, meanwhile when I 2H the great club I kill them in 2 regular attacks. In the menu I only see ~100 more damage when two-handing the great club, but it clearly is doing much more. Do armor values directly negate X amount of damage?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Finally at SL70 I'm invaded by a non-pyromancer that wants to fight.

Immediately received a message about being a no-honor glitch lagstabber because apparently parry-riposte is a mystery to some.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Shumagorath posted:

Bed of Chaos wasn't as bad as everyone had lead me to believe but man that was still like they made Dragon God tank-able in exchange for making it suck. I ran or was pushed into holes three times before I killed the stupid thing and the payoff wasn't even that funny.

With Havel's I can literally walk through anything except a hole.
Filthy lies from treacherous Aku. I reached Bed of Chaos for my first time today; can't say I found the two bosses leading up to him easy but I beat both of those on my 3rd go.

Bed of Chaos is a terrible boss because I have no clue what is happening or what the hell I'm supposed to do. On my last run I slid down, landed with full health, then died instantly to some invisible attack. Over 1000 health then bam - I didn't fall or get hit, my guy just suddenly decided to die. :confused:

I really wanted to play this game with no walkthroughs but I might have to pull another Duke's Archives (gently caress Duke's Archives) and just read a wiki on How to Shot Boss. I did chance upon a random hidden summon symbol from some guy I imagine was trying to coordinate getting summoned by a friend, he helped me save Seigmeyer then we went to Bed of Chaos. He ran around doing something, there were some cutscenes, then he got stunlocked and I couldn't save him by chugging flasks. I have no idea what he was doing but I still couldn't damage the boss. I keep telling myself "At least it's not like my 30+ runs through Sens, reaching this boss is a walk in the park compared to that" but goddamn does Bed of Chaos make me want to stop playing this game.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
3 days later I've finally beaten Bed of Chaos; the ending was awkward and unsatisfying.

I would like to share with you some of my experiences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOD3da80N4&hd=1

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

flowinprose posted:

You had a huge shield... yet I never saw you try to block. Why were you not using it?
Because he'd still knock me around. I'm a light armor dex build, not much poise, so I was trying to dodge his attacks. Funny that when I finally won it was by failing to dodge a single attack.

I was dying to this boss even in my dreams. :gonk:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I wish him luck in finding a 'hard' game that isn't challenging in any way he doesn't feel comfortable with.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Dragonwagon posted:

If you're trying to dodge why are you wearing that heavy armor? Why are you wearing anything at all against the BoC?
If your equip load is low enough you can just run across before the second hand sweep. And you can roll across the branches, you don't have to cut them down with your weapon.
I'm running a light load.

I liked switching around ring combinations freely, but the ring of FaP + havels is hard to top for melee combat characters. By using havels and replacing my +9 leather armor with the black iron chestpiece I get 31 poise compared to the wolf rings 40, even more physical defenses than I could have with the ring of steel protection, and better fire resist than I can manage with leather armor and a flame stoneplate ring. Also I have the wiggle room to use heavier weapons like that 6.0 weight spear without going over ¼ load.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
In PVP, am I supposed to try not to backstab people?

Seems like some people are asking for it the way they turn around instead of rolling back, or starting a 2H powerattack where I can easily circle around them. I tried not to against one 2H opponent but his attack arc is so wide that being on his side just got me hit. Maybe I should feel less bad about backstabbing knowing that 2H builds are only trying to stunlock me.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Dogs are kind of a pain with the Zweihander if you're naked and no-shielding it

But yeah the Zweihander is really easy to use. That's why it's such a great newbie weapon!
I don't get it. How does one use the zwei that is easy?

I started PVPing with my SL48 big weapons guy today, it's a high STR build because I wanna hit things with bigger things, hardly an ideal* PVP build but still. I figured with a +2 lightning zwei (effort) I'd be the Official rear end in a top hat of Anor Londo PVP. Instead I just died constantly every time I invaded/got invaded - all for pretty much the same reasons I felt the need to go easy on 2H builds with my first character's light armor/dex build. Slow attacks, easy to dodge.

I would try to bait them by playing the aggressor then parrying a non-existent attack and using that as a reason to suddenly play the fleeing coward. Even if they chase and I do a sudden 180 lunging attack it's still too slow. The only times I've landed a hit are when I parry-riposte (guess nobody expects the high poise/lightning zwei jerk to parry.)

*Honestly, at that level what difference would those few extra points in VIT/END make?

Node posted:

I've found 2 vagrants in 350+ hours in Dark Souls. Both in New Londo, where I was dying a lot.
I've seen 3 of them with less than 100 hours. They drop humanity / twin humanities what's the big deal? :confused:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Mr. Peepers posted:

If you're looking for souls/shards before O&S I'd stay at that bonfire and kill the 4 Silver Knights on the ground floor. Each circuit is a minute or less and is worth 4k souls. Plus it's good parrying practice (for me at least).
Are you telling me there is a better way to grind souls?! That is my one and only go-to spot.

I equip the target shield+mimic hat then run a parry-riposte lap through the whole area including the room with the 3 silver knights. If I am able to get the overkill bonus using the hornet ring I rake in a quite a lot of souls.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
How does one make a low-level magic build work for PVE? I rolled a sorcerer and I have no idea if I should be putting stats in INT or END or what. Magic weapon is nice on a dagger but I feel like I'm struggling a bit too much. SL17 and I had to summon a guy to finally make it past the capra demon.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Also I've run into 2 vagrants the past 2 days, one good and one evil. That's 5 vagrants I've seen with 150 hours. :monocle:

e:

(hosting is mine)

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 22, 2013

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
So I'm trying to turn my easy-mode high STR/high poise PVE build into something worthy of PVP.

(79 poise)

I'm beginning to realize the great club is terrible for PVP. The club might have a hitbox the size of a truck but the attacks are slow, mostly overhead, and the only combo is terrible. The only times I hit someone are when I turn off targeting and guess which direction they roll or when I catch them by surprise using the rolling-light atk which does a 180 arc sweep. I squeezed the winged lightning spear into my med weight limit because at least it gives me options. And If I ever meet a zweidaddy I'd like to think the 88 stability greatshield + spear would ruin their day since I can attack while blocking.

I know a lot of serious PVP builds have a poo poo-ton of vit/end so I've been dumping points into those. With 5 more levels to 100 I could pump STR up to 46 and be able to one-hand the demon greataxe. That would mean dropping artorias' greatshield for a black knight shield if I want to medroll.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I've been dickwraithing with a sorcerer around Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave. I feel like my entire build depends on the other person screwing up majorly. Either I run into people that know how to dodge but make mistakes, or I run into people who I will never touch with spells. Every death feels unavoidable and every kill is so unsatisfying.

Is getting a SL11 DW worth the effort? Wouldn't it be easier to just create disposable characters to invade undead parish with?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I had a hell of a time getting past the capra demon with my INT build.

I may not be a chronic backstabber of everyone that bows like some of you goons, but why do people bow when they are high-level slumming in the burgs waiting for low-level invaders (like me) to curbstomp? There is nothing honorable or fair about such a duel. I just can't fathom how pubbies get indignant when I backstab them for bowing, I hardly even dent them and they can kill me in one hit. When I get my guy to a SL20 D.W. I am just going to backstab them and banishment out while they are recovering.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Does anyone have any tips for a SL20 pyromancer darkwraith? My stats are little silly, I pumped STR/DEX up so I could 2H the gravelord sword and now I'm wondering if it's worth using over a bastard sword. Also sif is kicking my rear end; pyromancies keep missing and my gravelord sword attacks are so slow I miss the window half the time.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
180 hours in and I just realized that you can't backstab while 2-handing. Also I must be the last person in the world to notice that the watermill in Blighttown was being run by one of them tiny dograts on a comically giant hamsterwheel.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I needed a change of pace so I tried jolly co-operation and oh god some people are just adorably helpless. :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4p1p078I_o&hd=1

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Richard M Nixon posted:

I managed to get my uchigatana upgraded to +6 (I think I need more large shards, I don't know), went back to quelag's lair, and got reamed 10 more times. Her AOE fire blast takes away 3/4 of my health and seems to have an infinite range. I can't get out of it. This is definitely my :darksouls: boss, and I keep rage quitting after making virtually 0 progress on her. I might have to beg for some sunbro help later on if I can't do it. I even burned 4 humanity to get mildred and she just stood there being useless all four times. This loving game...
Yeah Mildred is perhaps the most useless NPC summon, you'll only make the boss fight harder by increasing Quelaag's HP.

One thing that might be helpful to know in any boss fight is harder hitting weapons can make a big difference. Bosses have very high resistances unlike the riff-raff you usually fight, so some stamina-devouring heavy weapon can actually be a big help. It might seem like a 160 dmg longsword you can swing 10 times is the better damage dealer, but you may find that a 210 dmg greatsword you can swing 3 times is actually much more efficient against bosses. However this is all situational to your weapons damage and the current boss, just make sure you aren't hitting for under 100 because that is going to be one long fight.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Am I limiting myself as a darkwraith by giving people time to finish a monster off, heal, and whatnot before attacking? As cute as this is, I ultimately hope to be a proper dickwraith that backstabs every bowing player and gets hatemail by the truckload. Right now I have a lot to learn about PVP so I want some nice fair fights, but I worry that I may not be learning how to effectively take advantage of everything at a darkwraith's disposal.

And how does crystal homing soulmass deal 1200 damage to players yet have such poor damage in PVE?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

motherbox posted:

Beat the Four Kings on my SL1 invader last night and then spent two hours invading the Undead Burg. I feel like I'm getting my revenge on the game.
Just curious, what did you use? I just finished the 4 kings with my SL20 pyromancer today. I have to say getting called a stat hacker by victims is delicious.

What happens when you invade a person who is clearly higher-level and baiting for low-level invaders? I've just been banishing out, I don't feel like giving them the pleasure of an easy win.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm beginning to realize that low-level PVP is less about winning and more about having fun with your build. But some things still confuse me:

Why are there so many hackers in blighttown? Why do I only get indicted after a decently even fight? Dear god so many hackers in blighttown, why!? What is that thing where you get backstabbed but it only does half the animation and you take no damage?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Speaking of that elevator, what's the fastest way to tell if the host has unlocked the shortcut when invading in the 2nd section of fogwalls (where invaders spawn on the unreachable beam.) The fog wall prevents me from going to the roof and checking the cages until the host has actually used the shortcut, so I have to find some angle where I can see if a cage has been lowered to the first pendulum bridge.

I was so confused when I saw "Phantom Iron Tarkus summoned" when the mimic was still alive and no boulders had broken that wall.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Nahxela posted:

If the fog wall at the top of the interior is still up, the host should not have been able to use the cage shortcut. That fog door disappears when the host walks through it, and to access the shortcut, you need access to the roof. If the fog door is still up, it means they haven't been to the roof.
Oh maybe when I moved the boulders to the first staircase so I could go to the mimic room it stayed that way allowing him to go straight up the stairs and skip that part. Luckily he waited for me anyways, first time I won a 3v1 fight! Sens certainly is ripe area for invasions, but I'm so proud whenever someone successfully follow me across a bridge that I never have the heart to do the evil deed.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, Dark Souls multiplayer is a strange place.

Capra Demon is kind of a weird boss for co-oping. While it gives a number of people trouble, most of that trouble is from dying at the immediate rush. So if help is summoned and the host still can't deal with the immediate rush, those few seconds before phantoms can enter can still be a time of death.
Some goon dropped some advice on the capra demon, long ago in this thread, and it's the most helpful PVE advice I've ever received: Ignore the dogs.

Seriously, while even those lowly dog can kill you right quickly, they tend to dodge away if you attack them directly but they are drat stupid about getting collaterally sliced/mashed/etc as you attack the capra demon. They also have difficulty attacking around the boss-sized capra demon collision box provided that is what you are circling around. So let the dogs miss a lot and kill them by accident, focus on learning the capra demon's attack patterns instead.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Arivia posted:

Is the Stone Armor set viable for the whole game? I may start a second strength playthrough after this first one just to be a giant stone monster.
Yes, as long as you are able to medroll in it. I mean I'm sure thousands of people can and have beaten Dark Souls at SL1 fatrolling the entire way, but if you are looking for a good set of armor then yes stone armor is good. I'm rolling stone armor for PVE on my current build, but I switch to the eastern set for PVP because I like the way it jingles and jangles.

Moonlight butterfly is when I figured out there are NPCs you can summon for bossfights during my initial no-walkthrough playthrough. :toot:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Tuxedo Ted posted:

No, that comes later, At the very bottom of the stairs with Andre is another pathway that leads to a mean statue guy that hurls lightning. Kill him (or better yet dash past him, he's tough) and you'll be smack dab in a new side-area.
That titanite demon placement is beautifully planned and should be fought and beaten before continuing. The player will be low level with poor gear, but they'll face their first titanite demon in a large open area right next to a bonfire. There are no enemies to cut through before the next go, he's sittin' right in your path immediately after a bonfire so you can fight him again and again - as long as it takes.

Every other titanite demon you'll face will be in cramped corridors, pits of tar, or precipitous drops into lava. Sure you'll be better prepared in later encounters, but you'll need to be because the environments will compound the difficulty.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
So I was just making my way to the 4 Kings on my cleric when :toot:

So far I've had a Black Knight Sword, Black Knight Greataxe, Black Knight Shield, and 2 Black Knight Halberds drop on this one playthrough.

e: Also did you know if you keep swinging at the air as each King is dying it still does damage to the total boss bar, so when the 4th King appears you can potentially drop them in 2 hits. And if you switch to the covetous serpent ring and symbol of avarice after killing a boss you get a boosted amount of souls, wish someone told me that sooner!

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 12, 2013

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
What's the preferred upgrade path of the Bonewheel Shield for PVP? Go +14 or take the fire/lightning path?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I just went to look that up, and I think I found another pvp gimmick. Incidentally by the same person who gave me the forest shotgun gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klAV9F4QWEA

Man, you can get really creative in this game.
I could almost excuse the terrible music and curious 'in-character' narcissism but when someone has half a billion souls in half their PVP videos I draw the line.

Actually this person makes such terrible videos they manage to transcend lovely and somehow become awesome in some weird perfectly revolting way. Prepare yourself for seizure inducing negative-flashing dubstep drops on each parry :aaaaa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWiUC1K2yk

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
How did this person get 13,000 subscribers?

That's closing on twice as many as subscribers the guy who made THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Cernunnos posted:

Did you leave one Covenant to join another? 'Cause that gets you Sin.
Wait wait wait; I thought if you abandon the covenant through Oswald of Carim you don't receive the betrayal penalties or get counted as a sinner?

Also what is the general consensus on dsfix @ 30 vs 60 FPS? I've heard varying people claim 60 FPS can either screw you over in PVP by messing up animation timings or give you advantages in PVP by increasing parrying windows somehow.

• Locked thread