Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Things I learned playing Dark Souls last night:

-The Anor Londo archers are nowhere near as hard as everyone on the internet says they are.

-Ornstein and Smough, however, are EXACTLY as hard as everyone on the internet says they are. Jesus.

Any tips? I'm rocking a 2-handed +10 Zwei with the Grass Crest Shield on my back and fast rolling everywhere. It's served me well so far, but I feel like I should go back to Sen's and pick up a Tower Shield or something so I can tank these hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Yes, I did it! It took like twenty-five tries but I took Ornstein and Smough out. You people saying Super Ornstein is easier are crazy, at least for my setup - once I realized a two-handed hit from the Zwei made Smough flinch even in Super Mode, it was smooth sailing. Now I can warp between bonfires and it almost feels like Dark Souls II! (I've beaten DS2 but not 1, my first experience w/1 was on the 360 and I quit after dying to the Taurus Demon. I tried II, fell in love and now I'm finally getting around to the first one).

Also, my inquisitive nature led me to think "hey, what happens if I fire an arrow at Princess Big Tits," and...she wasn't real, was she? 'Cause I wouldn't think a giant demigod princess would die that easily. Now Gwyndolin is super-pissed at me and Anor Londo has gone into night-mode. Have I screwed myself out of anything?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks! I don't normally just attack NPCs, I was just wondering what would happen since it seemed like Gwynevere was behind a screen and couldn't really do anything to attack me. (Kind of like Nashandra in DS II, except you couldn't hit her because hey there's a magical wall here to keep you from doing that. No, don't ask why).

I'm not sure how much you guys want to hear thoughts from people playing through the second half of this game for the first time, but I wanted to share something I think is really cool about this game once you pick up the Lordvessel. The whole first half of the game is all about winnowing down possibilities - making the game world feel a little bit smaller when you realize that Darkroot Garden connects to the Basin connects to the Valley of Drakes and hey, here's Blighttown wow, that's cool. Just for example. And slowly, it whittles things down until all that's left to do is go to Sen's, then Anor Londo.

Now that all those gates are down, I feel like I did right at the beginning of the game - except the feeling isn't "oh god, there's all these different paths and I don't know where they lead and they'll probably kill me" it's "sweet I have all these new places to explore and kill poo poo in!" (of course, they'll almost certainly tear me a whole new rear end in a top hat so maybe I should have the first feeling).

This game is loving awesome.

fake edit: where does the game typically expect you to go after getting the Lordvessel, anyway? I know from Frampt (I don't trust that creepy motherfucker) that I need to kill four people and get their souls - Nito, The Four Kings, The Witch of Izalith and Seath the Scaleless. I have an idea where a couple of those might be (pretty sure Izalith is down beneath where that lava monster was guarding the gold-hemmed set) but I have no idea where where Seath or Nito might be. Which route is recommended to go down first/

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Started off with New Londo. Was walking around laughing at the 'ghosts' that look like they came straight out of a PS1, then I pulled the lever to drain the place... :stonk:

poo poo looks like a level from Bloodborne now.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

TimNeilson posted:

Also, you should take a close look at the banshees if you get the chance.

I kinda wish I hadn't... :smith:

Also I have to say that wading through a grimy, corpse-filled city full of life-drain knights and blob monsters then finding a tunnel that goes down and down until it just ends and you drop into an endless void of MOTHERFUCKING NOTHING where the Four Kings are waiting for you is one of the most unsettling setpieces I've seen in a video game. The Abyss creeps me the gently caress out and the fight against the Kings has that weird, elemental fantasy thing down PAT. Thanks to this thread and its advice, the Four Kings are now in the club with the Moonlight Butterfly of Dark Souls bosses I beat on my first try. Put on Havel's, two-handed my Zwei and went to town.

What should I do next: go through the Graveyard and find this Nito guy, or find out what's behind that big yellow light door in Anor Londo?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Is there a hack out there that lets you summon NPCs for bossfights where you couldn't normally summon them? I kind of want to play a run where I summon Black Iron Tarkus for EVERY BOSS FIGHT and see how he does solo. I bet he could take most of the game's bosses out all by himself.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

My bro Solaire is sitting at the Lost Izalith bonfire all depressed, and I completely sympathize. That level just about made me want to give up the game, too.

DRAGON BUTTS. And LAVA. And an awful red glow over everything that makes it next to loving impossible to figure out which direction you're going. I think I got lost more in that level than I have in either Souls game.

Oh well, at least the boss was pretty cool. You even surf down to it, which manages to look both goofy and totally awesome.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 21, 2015

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Pretty sure my game glitched out. Seath the Scaleless used ONE attack the entire fight: a charge-up laser that turned part of the floor into crystals. And he only did it about once every twenty seconds, so I just sat there right in front of him wailing on him. Oh well, a win's a win.

I'm comin' for you, Nito.

lore question: what the gently caress was that crystal thing I had to break before I could do any damage to Seath? It just looked like a big shiny stick to me.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

My wife was at a family reunion I couldn't go to because of work, so I pretty much all my free time this weekend playing Dark Souls.

The Crystal Caverns weren't so bad, but I definitely did not explore them thoroughly. I'm sure I would have fallen a lot more if I tried to do anything besides "follow the tinkly falling crystals across the thousand foot drop."

Also, what was the item I was supposed to find in Izalith that will help with Nito? The lava-walk ring? The Flame Ember?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Bug hat? I didn't find anything like that. Will I be hosed without it?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Awesome! posted:

you dont really need it though. its just a more convenient light source than the lantern or cast light

Oh, okay, cool. I have a Skull Lantern, so that should be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

I went to fight Gwyndolin and died. Now the big pillar in the center of Anor Londo is stuck at the lowest setting, and because I killed Gwynevere and the fire keeper, I got sent to the OG bonfire near the AL entrance when I died. Did I just screw myself out of fighting Gwyndolin? I can't see any way to get back down to the tomb where she's hiding.

• Locked thread