Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Man I hope there's a way to get around the 30 FPS cap without breaking the game.

So tired of that poo poo with console ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The animations and game speed are tied to FPS, I believe, so you almost certainly will not be able to.

Not too surprising really. Just venting about how many games make my nice shiny PC run stuff that runs on 5 year old hardware at 30fps. I know lots of console games tie animations/physics/etc to framerate.

Hopefully significantly faster PC hardware will be able to brute-force its way through those problems.
vvvvvvvv

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I'm a little bummed that I heard about the fixed resolution and framerate after I already pre-ordered the game in a rush of 'Oh poo poo! Always wanted to play the DS games but never wanted to buy a PS3 just for them!'.

But reading along with this thread and hearing people fawn over the game I'm holding out quite a bit of hope that it'll be worth it.

From Software is one wacky company with completely baffling(Japanese) decisions on how their games work most of the time, but Chromehounds was my favorite 360 experience before it broke despite the flaws... so I guess sometimes it just works.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Despite the crappy port, I see myself getting sucked into this game hardcore already.

I really hope that guy gets the resolution fix working fully(ie, you don't lose half of the text in the game) because it looks awesome at actual PC resolutions.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Anti-Hero posted:

About to boot this badass motherfucker up, as a newbie player should I stay away from the resolution fix until the text bugs are taken care of?

Yes. Unless you really don't want to see the admittedly sparse tutorial text.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

I'm feeling your pain. I'm just leaving the game off for a night to see if it's fixed soon.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I can't seem to aim my crossbow. I'm probably retarded but I'm holding it in both hands and pressing the L1(LB) just seems to shoot it?

also I suck and am getting reamed by the second boss

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Crossbows can't be aimed manually. Their advantage over bows is that they fire immediately, and THEN have a recovery animation. I never got much use out of them in general.

Well that sure explains that. Thanks.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Belan posted:

The resolution fix has been updated, text and button prompts fixed.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=101

Seems to be working for me!

Man it looks like a whole other game. So pretty. :allears:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I just had to donate 5 bux to the resfix guy. He's done great work and amazingly fast. He saved me from being kinda upset about preordering to having exactly zero regrets.

... not that I wouldn't have played the poo poo out of the game anyway, but I hate blurry screen poo poo real bad.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So I restarted because I wasn't really feeling the Dex build(and levelled way too drat fast instead of spending it on gear). Did I make a horrible mistake by upgrading Astora's sword twice? I didn't even notice it wasn't using regular shards until it was too late. Certainly does kill the crap out of things for now though.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can get every crafting material in the game off of shops or enemies you can farm eventually, don't worry. You can't actually permanently mess up although you might waste some time.

Also if it's killing stuff for you it's certainly not a waste

Okay, good to know. Wasn't sure if they were limited or not.

Also; drat, it's amazing going back and playing through the first part of the game after having gotten a little ways through first time around. Killed the Taurus Demon in about 30 seconds without getting hit once compared to dying to him at least 15 times the first go. Game certainly gives you a sense of progression and accomplishment.

Though killing that guy in the tower basement in Undead Burg that gives you Havel's ring after about 20 tries when I first got to him via master key before actually beating Taurus gave me a fuzzy feeling. Any hit, blocked or not would kill me, and I think it took at least 40 backstabs to kill him. Possibly more but certainly not less. :ohdear: Feels good, man.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I have a feeling that I really shouldn't have killed Lautrec. But he was kinda a dick and just sitting RIGHT THERE next to a ledge. Boot!

Sweet rear end ring though!

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Zylen posted:

I just got Havel's Ring by beating the guy in melee combat at level 10, it feels like an amazing achievement but I'm probably just being a Dark Souls newbie. Those were some of the most intense ~15 videogame minutes of my life and I think it may have taken a year or so off of my life expectancy :stare:

Hell yes, beating him right when I got to him on my first playthrough was my first 'oh poo poo, loving OWNED' moment I had in the game.

I'm sure it all seems rather old hat to the console players in this thread, but I felt loving rad after that. It took ALOT of backstabs at 30 or so damage a piece, that's all I know. :stare:

EDIT: Also just got psyched out about the Gaping Dragon, so tried it twice with backup and failed miserably each time. I was too focused on watching what the other person was doing. Aced it on my first 'oh gently caress it' solo try.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Donnerberg posted:

Can you parry all weapon attacks? I assumed there was a limit based on how powerful it was.

Considering I can parry maybe 1 out of 3 attacks, I've instituted a 'you must be this short to ride the parry train' rule for myself.

I think you can parry just about any humanoid though, can't you? Or am I way off base here?

EDIT: Just put it to the test. With a medium shield it's more like 1 out of 5. Just makes me want to play thief next time around and parry hardy.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 28, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Oh, so that's what that red crab thing that scared the poo poo out of me in the Undead Parish was.

So they just spawn when people drop an item? Getting a twin humanity with that little work was pretty rad, I'll admit.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So, about the Sunbro statue...

I have 20 Faith and I've been helped to kill one boss and helped a person kill a boss. Shouldn't I be able to activate it or whatever by now? I still don't get a prompt of any kind.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

When in doubt, praise the sun. They may have increased the amount you need.

EDIT: Or you might be being pinged by an invader if you haven't killed the gargoyles yet. I've had that happen to me before on console, the statue stops working suddenly is the first thing before the bonfire even goes out.

I just got to Blighttown after getting in a curse loop for a while in the Depths, so I'm not feeling too grossly incandescent right now.

Does kinda suck going for a paladin-like angle and only having Heal and Homeward though. I'm trying very very hard not to outlevel my areas like I did on my first aborted run.

EDIT: At least when I get frustrated I tend to just kill a dude at Firelink. Depressing McSorrowpants didn't drop anything nice. :mad:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

DMBFan23 posted:

I think the being helped part doesn't count; it's just: your faith + (number of times you have assisted someone else) times 5 has to be >= 30

Ah, okay, this makes more sense then. How to join the Sunbros was pretty much the first--and almost only--thing I looked up. I just want to wear plate and shoot lightning, man!

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, I have some bad news for you if you want to wear Solaire's armor. Because there's only one way to do it.

There can only be one!

Aw, I don't think I could bring myself to kill Solaire. He's one of two NPCs I don't want to kill so far.

I'm cool with the Elite Knight set for now.

EDIT: I also seem to have horrible strings of summon failures now. Sorta vexing!

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Are crossbows supposed to be horrible? I've had great times using them. Just a shot while the enemy is approaching, cut them up a bit, then backroll and finish them off with another.

Then again I don't really have pyromancy or attack miracles right now, so my opinion might change.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Crossbows are more or less a combat augment. You're supposed to quickly swap-and-shoot when an enemy isn't ready for it. Even a well-upgraded light crossbow with decent bolts will do like 300-400hp on a hit, and is absolutely GREAT for Sunbroing since AI enemies can't predict or react to it. Pretty much, you're using them correctly.

Wait until you gettorment yourself enough that you obtain Avelyn. poo poo fires 3 bolts in one shot.

Totally wasn't going to mouse over that spoiler but now I quoted and saw it all. :negative:

Yeah though, I haven't been treating them as utility weapons, just extra damage or to pick off dangerous things when I'm doing a run back for my bloodstain.

After getting cursed, going back for my corpse and dying to a curse again, then doing the same a few times while trying to build up souls to buy the anti-curse thing, I've finally learned to play things really really cautiously. :stare:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
And now that I said that, I got back to my bloodstain near to the bottom of Blighttown, then promptly fell off something to the actual bottom where I went toxic and died almost immediately.

:darksouls:

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 29, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Le0 posted:

Okay so I think I need some words of advice. I played Daemon's Souls on PS3 so I do know the drift of the game, but I sucked badly at DS and I think I suck even more at Dark Souls.

Plunging attacks, plunging attacks, plunging attacks.

If you can't get past him to get back up the ladder and do it again, make sure you're not carrying too much equipment to roll fast. I just lured him away from the tower after plunging, then dashed around him and climbed the ladder again. Firebombs are also helpful when you have a moment to throw them.

I suck at this game really bad, but after beating Taurus the first time after 15 tries I feel like I could do it blindfolded now.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Does the Spider Shield actually increase resistance to poison? If it does, I'm not noticing it.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Gotta block with it. It blocks 100% of poison and I believe toxin if you block the shot. Other shields let a bit through.

If you want real resistance, find and use the Shadow set, found within Blighttown which is where I'm going to assume you are given that you're trying to block poison.

Ah, okay. I wasn't talking about poison attacks so much as walking through Blighttown water.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Go find the Rusted Iron Ring if you don't have it, throw moss on your hotbar, and if you really need it wear the ninja suit. That's about the only way.

Out of moss, but I wasn't even thinking about the Rusted Iron Ring. Perfect, thanks!

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So I just finished Blighttown and I'm pretty bored of Astora's Straight Sword, though it still does marginally more damage than a +5 Claymore. The two upgrade options available to me are raw and normal. I assume raw is bad, but should I hold out for divine(I have lots of faith), fire, etc?

Normally I'd just blunder through it but after a drunk session of Blighttowning and Depthsing I've managed to lose a depressing amount of souls and feel like doing something right for a change.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, Astora's straight sword outlives its usefulness pretty soon, even at +4 or so. My occult nailbat (not upgraded yet) absolutely destroys it in damage at 20 strength and 30 faith, and that's not even counting bleeding and stunning and that good stuff.

I only took it up to +2 because I sorta saw the writing on the wall, so to speak. With about 20 faith going through undead burg and beyond it sure rocked the poo poo out of everything though.

Oh. I guess I should bump my str from 16>20 instead of dicking around with the claymore in favor of the black knight sword. Durr.

EDIT: And totally neglect that I have 10 Dex instead of the 18 needed. Well don't I feel dumb now?

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 31, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

gibbed posted:

Are you saying you want Blighttown to be pitch black? :allears:

I don't know about that, but the way the HDR works there frustrates the hell out of me. When you're down in the swamp you can see like 2 feet because everything adjusts for the light your character puts out, but then you look up and you're like... wait, there's sky above me? Why does the whole level only light up when I'm looking at the light source?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Veev posted:

Have you found the Valley of Drakes exit to Blighttown? The jarring "oh okay take the green filter away now" both makes me sick and is extremely funny.

Hah, yeah. Just a little jarring, that.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I just want to for once invade a dude or be invaded by a dude that isn't using weapons and/or armor I've never seen before.

I'm going on like 20 invasions here in my pre Sen's games and it always ends in tragedy.

EDIT: I've never gotten past Sens because I've started a few new characters after getting rocked in PvP.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So I'm pretty bad at this game.

I put my main game on hold for a while thanks to school and I thought I'd dick around with a cleric-type character. What's the scoop on clubs/maces? I like the idea of bleed(never really used it before) and the morning star looked awesome so I started using that. Now that I've just finished the Depths I'm having issues. The morningstar is at +7, my STR is 16 and it just seems bad in every sense. It really doesn't hit harder than a sword(less actually) but the animations are slow slow slow. Enemies seem to stagger more often which is nice, and the critical animations are brutalawesome but I'm starting to think I'm really barking up the wrong tree here.

What one-handed clubs should I try instead and how should I upgrade them? Seemed like with spears and swords I pretty much was okay no matter how badly I sucked at stats and upgrades but this poo poo is pretty lame.

Should I switch to the mace/reinforced club/something else?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Robo Reagan posted:

What's up with people contantly leaving their warning messages either right on top of or just past the thing they're warning you about? That's redundant as hell.

I mostly just want to know why nobody seems to rate messages ever. I think I've seen a +3 message like once. The rest are 0 or sometimes 1-2.

I don't think I've ever had a message of mine rated, and I put them in useful places all the time.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Clearly I need to play more, I rate every message, everything between need head to amazing chest and beyond. If I see it and I'm not exactly pressed for time, it's getting rated.

I rate every damned message that's not bad information unless I'm currently being murdered by things too. :mad:

I keep the orange soapstone equipped just for that reason.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

You can just hit select/back/whatever-the-keyboard-for-gesture-is while reading it to rate.

I did not know this! You just freed up an item slot for me, sir.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
^^^^
GODDAMN IT

I knew I couldn't have been the first person to drop that sign there

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I rate the bad information too if it is especially funny.

I saw one earlier that was by the well that recommended jumping into the well, it had +7 or so. Also there were a few bloodstains from people jumping into the well.

Well okay, that too. But it does have to be funny.

My 'Try Thrusting' sign right behind the corpse on the well at firelink has gotten nothing. I can only imagine it's an old joke or something by now.

More topically, I didn't kill Jerkface McGoldenarmorLatrec this time. He killed the firekeeper(which I knew about), but if I hadn't gotten the tip from him about Petrus and Rhea does that mean I'm boned as far as buying miracles from here on in? Aside from the crappy ones Petrus sells and I already have?

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Shima Honnou posted:

You save her down in the hellpits of the Tomb, then you warp back out and slaughter Petrus, then you buy everything from her in the Parish. You also want to do all that before going to Duke's Archives, generally.

Okay, I just don't want Rhea to die. I need those damned miracles. Killing Petrus is just a bonus because I want his fatman cleric armor.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I got Laurentis killed. :ohdear:

He was one of the few cool bros in the game. He was just a fairly chill outcast loner that liked playing with fire. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
So I've never done an Int/Magic build before. What's the general consensus on upgrades? Is it better to go +15 and magic weapon that bitch up when needed or just upgrade it down the magic path? I'm not planning on moving my Str and Dex past what's needed for this basic weapon.

EDIT: Winged Spear for what it's worth. Was originally thinking I'd really mage it up and go dagger but I don't think I'm man enough for that.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 3, 2013

• Locked thread