Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just got summoned around six times to fight Gaping Dragon at SL40. (Anor Londo's infamous archer duo are doing a good job of keeping me out and I wanted to grind up some humanities) I thought for sure 40 would be too high, but apparently not! I'd like to think they liked me accessorizing my pyromancer outfit with an onion helmet and Elite Knight legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If I left Anor Londo after fleeing from lance-launching archers, will I have to do the catwalk portion against the Painting Guardians again to hit the stair switch when I return?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stringbean posted:

Yeah, just suck it up and get past the archers ASAP. There's a Bonfire right after them and neat items all about up there. Keep on keepin' on duders, don't give up.

Tallgeese posted:

You can always summon someone who knows how to parry or what have you.

I am pretty sure that some people hang out around there explicitly to help out with the archers.

Where do I summon people there? There were no summon signs last night at either of the two bonfires I found before them. I ended up going back and helping people kill the Gaping Dragon so I could get my pyromancy to +15. I also used up my cracked eye orbs and won 3/4 times invading people. The one loss was because I got reposted because I got cocky).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Well, I've seen signs on both connecting sides of the moving platform... Try near the cathedral stairs?

I'm sure someone from here will help you if you ask. I'd do it myself, but I have a prior engagement for the next 40 minutes.

It's okay, if I go back it'll be later tonight anyway. And with much-upgraded equipment! There are still places for me to discover, too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Stringbean posted:

I could always help you, I assume we're close to the same SL as my dude is still at Anor Londo.

Well, I did go back-- and I got through them! And cleared out every mob in that weird chateau, opened the gates and now I'm taking on Fatty and Beanpole. Summons other than Solaire haven't been working and even without him, my best is getting Super Dragoon to a little under half life. I'm SL40 still, so hopefully I'm around the right level.

EDIT: My summon sign is just to the right of the fog door. I'm hoping someone summons me or it helps jumpstart the connection wizardry. Smough goes down super quick to my fireballs, and it does decent damage to Super Ornstein, but his "grab" is the move I have the most issues with. It looks just like he's throwing lightning to me, and it seems to catch me even if I'm at his side.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 23, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, the only signs I've seen have been around the fog door, just at the bottom of the stairs just after the rotating bridge there was one or two that faded almost immediately and the bonfire area is barren. Ornstein's legs do seem to be pretty safe! I can get in some good hits there when I get tangled up and he does his three hit combo, or he butt slams and I only take a little damage through my shield if I don't get back fast enough. His back leap & swipe is annoying, because getting in on him can be annoying if he starts throwing lightning. Mostly because of the aforementioned grab move.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After a million failed summons, two summons who couldn't last (first one died to two hits from normal Smough, second got grabbed twice in a row by Super Orn) and two invasions by the same person where I died, I killed the invader on their third attempt, got two people summoned finally and took down O&S!

Having two people helped, but I think I could've done it with one. This is the first boss I wasn't sure I could do solo. I could damage Smough a whole lot, but keeping track of lightning bolts and spear dashes at the same time was down to the camera co-operating.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaire's bonfire is the one people use for O&S? I guess that's why I never saw signs "around the bonfire." I was running from the firekeeper bonfire. Instead of two silver knights and the royal guardian, you just have to deal with the one royal guardian, so I figured it was easier for people to do.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sober posted:

You actually mean the first bonfire in Anor Londo? That's a helluva run.

It's super quick. Dash through the guards, run along the right wall all the way to the fog door. Only the last guy sticks around to fight.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's amazing how much easier this game seems as you continue along. The only parts that make me despair when seeing a new area now is footing-related issues. The Duke's Archives were a lot of fun, but I turned around at the invisible pathways in the Crystal Caverns. New Londo wasn't nearly as dangerous as I had feared and Transient Curses last a long time. Also, I don't know why I leveled past 30 or whatever. I guess I needed strength and dex for Queelag's Furyblade, but honestly I think I could go back and do everything over with only going up to 30 endurance. And to that end, I'm starting to see what makes a SL1 run so enticing. And making low-level Darkwraiths. Invading is fun on both sides and for all my fears, I've never run into a hacker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The biggest thing for me with the Stray Demon was learning that his big aoe comes out a little in front of him. So if he dashed back and used it, I would have to turn 180 to block it. That aoe unblocked was really the only thing in his arsenal that was dangerous. Stay behind him, back up a little if he butt stomps and aoes, then run in and Try Beating to a pulp.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sif and Priscilla were both pretty easy, taking only one try for the former and three for the latter, but Nito is surprisingly hard. I've died about ten times so far. Staying back seems to make him use the screaming ground blade (one try he did it immediately as the cutscene ended, as I was still standing up from the fall down to his lair) and rushing in gets a face-full of skeletons attacking from all sides. I think the strategy is block everything until he does the AOE what kills his own skeletons then attack for hits afterwards, but I'm not sure.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Matlock Birthmark posted:

You've got the right idea, getting rid of the skeletons before fighting Nito is a wise plan. Do you have a divine weapon so the skeletons don't come back?

Drop into the fight, wait until the skeletons come to you, kill them, then wait for Nito to lumber over and fight him around where you came in. You can somewhat avoid the screaming sword by rolling when you hear it. Other than that, just run away from the AoE blast. Nito is really slow.

Using a +9 divine Large Club. I thought the advice for a divine weapon was meant for Nito himself. Good to know it's actually for those skeletons!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for all the help, guys! It took three more times, but I finished him off. I only ended up killing one of the three skeletons, Nito decided he just really wanted to do his AOE a lot. 4 Great Fireballs + 6 Fire Orbs + 3 Great combustions and he was dead. Also I was out of my 5 estus and any decent hit on me would kill me. Staying away from the back and the two giant skeletons was seriously the pro strat. I was really fortunate that he didn't do the scream attack at all on that final run. I was only able to dodge it like 25% of the time.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I beat Gwyn for the first time a couple days ago, and I feel like the second half of the game is really-- disappointing. Most everything after placing the Lordvessel is really short and badly built, or both. I was feeling hyped about doing a low-level run earlier, or blazing through NG+, but going through most everything after Blighttown just seems like it would be an unfun chore.

Demon Ruins was laughable, Lost Izalith was neat, but short. And The Bed of Chaos was no where near the terror I was expecting from posts here. New Londo was surprisingly fun, I didn't have any problems getting transient curses and on a whole it feels put together really well. The Four Kings almost were the Three Kings for me and got them in one-go. The Duke's Archives were fun, and the Crystal Caves scared me with the invisible pathways, but it turned out to be a super short jaunt to get to the Duke himself. The Catacombs I went to pre-Lordvessel and were about twice as big as was interesting with the environment. The Tomb of the Giants was just annoying and no-fun. Pinwheel killed me the first time, and Nito took a bunch of attempts.

The Great Hollow felt really short, maybe due to a lack of enemies, and Ash Lake was really small. I guess it was a secret area because there's not a whole lot down there? The DLC I didn't finish. The Sanctuary Guardian was pretty tough, as well as Artorias. Though, I feel kind of bad I ended up blasting him with pyromancies instead of swordfighting him. I was only able to get him down to 75% the "honorable" way. The forest was exactly Darkroot and the new enemies the same as the stone guardians and evil bushes, which made it boring, but Oolacile was moderately interesting. I never did figure out what was good for blocking the dark blasts from the Oolacile priests.

Mainly I think that I missed finishing an area and finding it looping back onto previous things. Because you have the Lordvessel you can just warp so there's little use for running around still. You can see what I assume is Ash Lake and the Demon Ruins from Tomb of the Giants, but I didn't find any pathways that actually connected them. New Londo connects to Valley of the Drakes and then back to Blighttown, but that route's not exactly good for anything as far as I can tell. I think I tried taking that path once after I had died to the big blob thing the first time I met it, but the Drakes in the way are just sort of annoying and respawn, making it more effort than just killing a few ghosts.

Even Anor Londo was less than impressive. Though the Chateau with the Silver Knights was fun, once I managed to get in. The Painted World was good, though! I thoroughly enjoyed that. Died twice to Priscilla, learning how to properly fight her.

Oh, and the Kiln. Like Anor Londo it looked impressive-- actually, it was more like Ash Lake. Looks impressive, but is just kind of a short, straightforward path. Gwyn turned out to be pretty easy as well. Artorias was probably the best swordfight in the game.

On a whole, I'm glad I stuck through and played through the entire thing, even if it took me something like twelve hours playtime before I beat the taurus demon for the first time. It wasn't until I was instructed on how to do a backstab that I started to understand combat and that made getting to taurus much easier and I was able to focus on trying to beat that fight, rather than just getting to it. Also, that time was spent playing on an upatched 360 copy because I was a baby scared of invaders. The firebombers on the roofs in Upper Undead Burg? They jump down and join you in that room with the door to the stairs to Lower Burg. It made that part particularly hard.

I stuck through mostly because I wanted to know why this game was praised so. And now I'm satisfied that I do. Final playtime was around 60 hours. That's a lot more game than I was expecting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Can anyone give a spoiler-free review of how good/bad Dark Souls II is?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for all the replies. The less focus on exploration and cool locales over bossfights sounds like I probably will wait for a sale or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The painting guardians is where I learned tp use throwing daggers. In the rafters it's pretty easy to make them fall off, and down in the gallery you can aggro them one at a time. Which makes fighting them and clearing the room extremely easy.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Toe socks are weird.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm sorry about your friend's brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'll provide the opposite opinion: I started with the Master Key and it was wonderful. At least, after I figured out that there was a staircase up along the cliff away from Firelink and that my only choices were not the ghosts that destroyed me or the skeletons who were super tough, but at least felt like I could beat them if I spent enough time and practice.

Having the Master Key allowed me to glimpse at areas in the game further along and really helped show me how interconnected and large the game world was. And even though the first time I made it to Blight Town was through the back door, I didn't get too far (due to missing the path to the elevator of all things) and ended up entering the intended path after beating the Gaping Dragon. Havel of course was another block off the intended path. With all of these experiences I feel like if a new player is the sort of person who likes exploring to see new environments, rather than exploring to solve puzzles, then starting with the Master Key is perfectly fine and can enhance the experience.

• Locked thread