Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Well, Dark Souls has earned several interesting distinctions amongst the games I've played. It's simultaneously one of the most exciting and intense, yet boring and tedious games I've ever played. Everyone warned me about the hard parts. Hard is fun, hard I like just fine. No-one warned me about all the running through the same stretch of level dozens of times to just get to the hard parts. That's the part that's frustrating me. It's eroding my willpower and I don't even know if I care to finish the game. Which is a shame because the combat and RPG aspects really are top-notch.

I'm at Anor Londo, Ornstein and Smough. My question is how much is there left in the game and is it better or worse from here on out? I really do want to beat the game, but I'm finding it hard to care at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
No, the run to get to O&S isn't bad. It's just another in a long line and it's starting to wear on me, I think. I'm confident I can beat O&S too, just need a little practice. Honestly, it's just a culmination of Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo being back to back as well as long and brutal. Thinking of it, actually Anor Londo had a reasonable amount of bonfires, and if it wasn't for the two dickhead archers, it wouldn't have been so bad. Also a bonfire teleporter would be huge. If I never have to run between Darkroot and Blighttown swamp again I'll be very happy.

My question of better or worse should have been more specific. Does the game continue to get harder and harder at this point? I've noticed the difficulty was kind of all over the place from stage to stage in the first half so far, with Sen's Fortress being a huge spike in difficulty(except the boss), at least for me.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So, question about The Four Kings:

Is there a secret to the "death scream" move that I couldn't figure out? It seemed that I couldn't dodge fast enough, shield hard enough, or get far enough in time to survive it. I mean, I beat them, but I just used to the "pray to loving god I get lucky and they don't use it" strategy.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Holy loving poo poo.

Here I am getting more confident and feeling better about this game and then Knight Artorias is all "Oh, you thought O&S, and The Four Kings were hard? Pfft. Those losers ain't poo poo. :smug:"

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So my current playthrough is coming to a close, at least I assume it must be, and I'm starting to think about my next playthrough. I've been playing a sort of "balanced"/medium-weight pyromancer and think I need to go to one extreme or the other next time. Either a nimble, quick dodger thief-type or a big-fuckoff-knight. Right now I'm leaning towards the knight. Basically find the biggest armor, sword/axe, and shield I can and go to town, or maybe skipping the shield most of the time and just two handing a big sword. It's Dark Souls, so I don't know if that's viable. But if it is, what should I go for stat-wise, and anything in particular to look our for equipment-wise?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

swamp waste posted:

If you don't use a shield at all you kinda need to be able to fast roll (under 25% equip weight) and that doesn't sound compatible with the rest of the plan. Otherwise, yeah, sounds good. As soon as you're willing to enter the graveyard you can get the zweihander, and Havel's ring and the elite knight armor aren't far out of your way if you have the master key. Late game there is a shitload of strength-based weapons and heavy armor so you can really pick and choose whatever you want. The snake men in Sen's occasionally drop a real nice greatsword and all the club weapons are surprisingly good for a strength-based build in the early game.

Big-fuckoff-shield it is, then. Stats I'm guessing are enough Str/Dex for desired equipment, then all in on Vit/End? Or is the Str scaling enough to warrant balancing all 3? I haven't had much experience with higher-level scaling since I've just been using lightning and fire weapons.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Maleh-Vor posted:

That's a lot of words.

That all sounds good to me, and I do have concerns about how interesting the playstyle is. But I've proven to not be very good at this game and I'm concerned if I have the willpower to deal with all the mistakes made as a high-risk/high-reward playstyle. On the other hand, balls-to-wall glass cannon is probably my favorite RPG playstyle...

Damnit, now I don't know what to think. Since it's all about the weapon, I assume you still want the Str for the scaling? Any other advice for such a run? Gotta be stylish so I'm going to have to wear something.

Also, general question: is there a rule of thumb for Lightning vs Fire vs Normal scaled weapons?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I'm going for the "mad-mode" two-hander, light armor build. Killed the Black Knight in the Burg first try and he dropped the Black Knight Sword. gently caress. Yeah.

Edit: No luck on the BK Greatsword though. :(

Viperix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 24, 2013

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Only if you use Great Combustion and Power Within to actually touch him to death.

This is how I killed the Gaping Dragon on my Pyromancer. I just kept combusting on his little nose. *boop*

So the naked two hander run is going rather well. After not knowing what you're doing and a dying a shitload for a whole playthrough, it's extremely satisfying killing everything with one or two hits and a great, big, TWHACK. I've tried other swords, but nothing is more fun than the Zwei's 2H strong attack. :black101:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I've just discovered that the two-handed Zweihander R2 will instantly stunlock the Capra Demon.

WHO'S THE CHEAP ONE NOW, MOTHERFUCKER :black101:

YEESSSS. Zweihander motherfuckers. I also just learned that that same attack can interrupt Super-Smough. :black101:

Seriously that was my exact reaction. Second attempt I'm like "I wonder if I can pancake/stun this motherfucker." *THWACK* WHAT UP NOW, BITCH!?!?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I think I might be addicted to this game and am starting to think about run number 3. Can't decide on a playstyle though. I'm thinking either a dedicated Dex based parry/riposte sort of build or a Faith/miracle based cleric. Anything I should know about either(viability, fun/interestingness, difficulty, etc?)

Edit: I should point out that I'm basically stuck offline due to lovely internet, so PvE is what I'm limited to.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 30, 2013

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking to pick this up again and am looking for character advice. Ideally I'd like to try some combination of sword/shield and cleric abilities. I'd love to focus on parrying, but my timing sucks so I can't rely on it. I can only play offline, so I know some covenant unlocked abilities aren't going to be available to me. Any suggestions for build/equipment and/or general advice?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So after finding out I don't find shield based combat all that interesting I'm thinking of going back and trying to finish a no-armor 2-handed run. I'm debating if I want try a pure melee Zwei(or other great sword/axe) run again, or maybe mix it up and go dex and do something based around 2-handing the Uchi. Alternatively, would it be viable to throw in some spells/miracles and make something like the Zwei or Uchi Magic/Divine? This is all in the context of PvE. Honestly, I'm open to suggestions for any high-risk, high-reward builds.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
What's the fastest "legit" speedrun of DS and is there a video?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I guess it depends. I was thinking sequence breaking is fine, but without glitching. Of course then you get into the "how do you define a glitch" territory...

I'll check those out, none-the-less, as it's strictly a curiosity thing.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm feeling ballsy and stupid after my tanky cleric, I think it's time for another near-naked two-hander run. Besides the Zweihander what are the most fun/interesting big-fuckoff weapons?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Zedd posted:

I did the bog standard melee dude + pyromancer for my (almost completed) playthrough, Near the end I did start up 2handing my weapon more and more but I still used my shield a lot.

To play a fuckoff-weapon run or a caster next. :ohdear:

A caster is safe and effective, but often dull. If you go the heavy armor route tanky big-fuckoff weapon route, it's also safe and effective, but dull. (Though I'll admit it's a lot more relaxing after a high-death playthrough to just wade through enemies and shrug off most attacks.) However, I strongly recommend a no-armor run. Two-hand a giant-rear end weapon, learn to dodge, and smash some mofos. It's the ultimate in high-risk, high-reward. I recommend the Zweihander.

Ruzihm posted:

I like the great club. Available in blighttown on the left just as you approach Quelaag's domain.

I just used the great club as a backup on my last cleric. I'll just start with the Zwei since you can get it early, and see what else strikes my fancy.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I was hoping there'd be a weapon that's a bit more 'generally good' with faith. I don't really like weapon buffs, I've found :(

I just did a faith build with and just made a Club and Great Club divine, worked just fine. Sure, for min/maxing buffs are better for PvE NG, who cares. I also generally don't like buffs except Magic Weapons because they're easy to get and use. I've heard good things about the Crescent Axe if your feeling ballsy and willing to rush the catacombs to get it early. (Also advisable for a Faith build simply to get early access to some decent Miracles.)

To answer your earlier question, chucking Lightning bolts ala Zeus is the poo poo and I didn't even get the 2nd or 3rd tier Lightning Spear.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
gently caress the RNG in this game sometimesall the time. I only needed 7 Green Titanite from the leaches, so two drops, no big deal. 15 Large Titanite later... I also have 2 Balder Side Swords this play through, neither of which I have any interest in.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
They drop just under half as often, supposedly. I wanted a +5 Divine before Quelaag, let alone Sen's. Plus they're 5k a pop from Sen's, still faster to farm the leeches than souls I think. No worries though, got what I needed.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm new to co-op; would it be considered improper etiquette to low level co-op when your completely overpowered and proceed to one shot everything, including the boss? Lately I've been taking a series of characters through trying to see how overpowered I can get before having to kill a boss. Or otherwise completely sequence breaking.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Yeah, was kinda figuring as much. I'll keep my breaking of the game to myself.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Don't be a pussy, continue to skip the shield. You're learning how to play the real way, already. Soon you'll embrace it and strip naked and grab the biggest weapon you can.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
It's not so bad, I can't remember the last character I bothered to level Vit at all.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Or you can ditch the shield and armour entirely. :black101:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Man, playing this game again and it is so nice to be able to die without gaining Soul Memory, losing a chunk of health, or having to worry about farming blood vials. You can just try again, without any bullshit.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Look at the chain on the right hand side - if it's more curved it's legit, if it's more straight it's a mimic. Also a mimic breathes ever so subtly, and if you look really close you can glimpse teeth through the seam.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Stuff like rolling and chugging Estus is sooo slow.

Ummm, I got some bad news if you're interesting in playing DS2...

That being said, SOTFS is absolutely worth $10. I kinda sorta hate 2, if I'm quite honest. But frankly, it's still a good game and a decent Souls title.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think my hangup is I have heard technical complaints about how the hit boxes are bullshit, etc. Like you'll die unfairly. I've never felt I died unfairly in DS1 so far. It has always been my fault. What does Scholar add?

I have much less concern for DS3 even though I've heard it's linear AF.

The hitboxes are 100% horseshit. To the point where sometimes I questioned whether the devs were even aware of what hitboxes are on a conceptual level. But as I said, you should still play it. You might end up liking DS2 the best, plenty of people do.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 10, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
The problem with the DS series is people caring about PVP balance so much.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
The problem with coming back to this game after so long, plus getting used to DS2/3/BB, is that I've completely forgotten the dodge timing. I've hit Smough twice in three attempts. The rest of the time I've spent getting hit/healing. Doesn't help that I'm trying to play the characters I used to play when I played DS1 all the time: no health, no shield, and mostly naked.

Though on the plus side, compared to BB and DS3 especially, bosses have health puddles instead of pools.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 1, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

What I'm I supposed to do with these sentinals before O and S. I guess get good at killing them all the time ?

Only if you're trying to summon. If you're soloing the boss you can run right past them to the fog door. You're invincible after the first few frames of entering a fog door.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Furysword is alright, depending on your build. It works really well if you can maintain 10 humanity.

What's your build and weapon of choice?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
With 30 Faith, divine weapons are probably you're best bet. Halberd and Claymore are both solid weapons. I don't know what kind of damage you can do with a non-divine halberd. Ideally though at O+S you'd have +5 divine for your weapon of choice. But going back and upgrading may by more pain than it's worth. Since you'd have to either feed red or blue chunks to Frampt or farm Blighttown for the green titanite.

With enough patience, good timing, and a good shield, you should be able to overcome weaker damage.

You are also correct that Faith is going to be a little rougher for a first playthrough, but it's 100% viable.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Excellent point. I glazed over that he had a club.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Levitate posted:

I don't think the golem killed me once...but rolling off the side of the tower sure did

And the two titanite demons close together kept getting me for some reason so I just left them for awhile. I could finagle just fighting one at once and retreating if the other one aggro'd, but for some weird reason I kept getting hit by it's jump attack that's almost insta-kill where I didn't have that much trouble with that attack on the other ones

I've played this more than is reasonable, and that part is still a pain in the rear end, so I usually skip it unless I need the demon titanite for something. If it makes you feel better, that pair are actually stronger than the other two down in the pit.

My Four Kings strategy is usually to just get up in their faces and take the hits, because if you're close enough, most of their attacks only wing you. Unless they do that one magic attack that to this day I don't know the dodge timing for. Granted, there may be an easy answer to that magic attack, other than blocking with the crest shield or the like, that I always forget about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Also, what are you talking about "almost as bad as bow only." You're doing bow only wrong. Get the composite bow, treat it like a long range melee weapon. It's one of my favorite DS1 runs.

• Locked thread