Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Rexicon1 posted:

Man, I'm so excited for people on the PC to start playing this. I love to live vicariously through those who haven't been through this game yet. These games (Demon's Souls and Dark Souls) are absolute landmarks in game design that will affect the path of action-rpg's for years to come.

SAME HERE! I've got a good 300+ posts in the other Dark Souls thread and it's one of my top 3 games of all time. I can't wait to crack into this and drink in page after page of new PC gamer tears. As awesome of an experience as DS is alone, the thread makes it even MORE fun. I remember when I was on my first playthrough and crying about O&S and that Demon with the 2 wolves in the lower burg while goons told me it just wasn't that hard, then 2 weeks later I became one of those goons telling new people it wasn't that hard :smug:

I haven't spoiled any of the DLC for myself and don't plan to, but I'm really hoping it's as good as the rest of the game (except ToG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Can someone spoiler *where* the DLC starts and not what it is? I want to go in blind, but I don't want to pussyfoot around the whole game looking for it

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Arujei posted:

Just started, now in the Undead Burg! This is my first time playing, so I thought I could defeat the first Black Knight.

That didn't go as well as I was hoping it would.

Welcome to DS, enjoy your stay :)

Anyone found the DLC start yet? I'm rushing the game to find it and just killed the Hydra so I'm hoping I hit it soon. Also, the resolution patch makes the game GORGEOUS except for the really blurry distance, which is a fine tradeoff for me

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

The guy is working on the blurriness and the buggy messages tomorrow he claims.

I honestly don't even care if they're fixed. Game is just so gorgeous already compared to my 360 on the same 42" that the blurry can stay. Now, back to speed running around until I find the DLC :v:

What messages? Those things on the ground are hosed up? I've played the 360 version so many times I lost count, so I've been skipping them, but I can see that being a really big issue for new players

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Drop rate seems broken high even with 0 humanity. I also got a BK sword from the first BK, plus it seems every 2-3 kills results in a drop of some sort, even with 0 humanity.

Not sure what's up, and it's nice being geared to the teeth since I've already finished the game multiple times, but doesn't feel like the real DS experience anymore :(

As for performance, I'm using an nVidia 560 and didn't even have slowdown in Blighttown while using the resolution patch, so it seems to be purely an AMD issue

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Seems like there's something really weird wrong, since half of us are playing at a steady 30fps even in places like Blighttown, and other people are just crippled. I'm sure it'll get ironed out, since the game plays fantastically for half of us. If you played the console version, then you know what I mean when I say Blighttown never dropped below 30fps for me ever, and I'm on a midrange computer with a midrange nVidia using the resolution patch.

Also, the resolution patch really is 3 function call changes, which has me scared about what I'm going to encounter later since From decided not to include them. It's a pretty basic technical change, so they knew how to do it, but chose not to. Hmmm....

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Can you post your specs? Just interested.

Totally midrange. Nothing but 8gig RAM, i5 2500, nVidia 560. Nothing remotely special about it. It was $650 a year ago, but it's running this at 1920 with zero problems at all. The game's not that demanding, there just has to be some software reason it's having issues with a lot of people

If you're new, avoid the res patch for the first 2-3 hours so you can read the tutorial messages. After that, you can fire it up without worry, since the only ground messages from there are from other players and, at least imo, ruin a lot of the really fun encounters and figuring out how to win them without someone spoiling it for you. This game is fun purely because it shits on your face repeatedly until you figure out how to avoid having your face poo poo on, then enjoy the sense of gently caress YOU accomplishment that comes with it. Reading someone else's message that spoils the whole fight really cheapens that satisfaction and you probably won't end up understanding why so many of us love this game so much.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 24, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The irony of that is that EB gave me a free Dark Souls themed mouse with my copy.

Tried KB+M just to see, and as a DS vet, you really REALLY want a controller. I'm on NG+++++++ on 360 and can't imagine attempting this poo poo with KB+M. It's totally meant for a controller and you all need to buy one if you don't have one

If you're having issues obtaining Drake Sword, this is the ticket: climb below, shoot the dragon tail with a ton of arrows, get Drake Sword, period. That's all there is to it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I asked way back yesterday before anyone knew, so I'm going to ask again:

Where does the DLC start? Don't spoil what it is, just how you enter it please :) I've finished the game multiple times and want to take a crack at the DLC while I'm still low level/undergeared rather than turning into a powerhouse before I find it

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Meowjesty posted:

Where it starts You have to get a Pendant from the Duke's Archives (it's in a crystal golem), you'll know it when you get it, then you go back to the place where you find the golden crystal golem that has Dusk in it. It's fairly late game, unfortunately.

I think it may also work if you have the pendant you get as a gift, but I'm not sure.

Aw hell, this is exactly what I was hoping didn't happen. Maybe I'll just try a low level run since I'd rather not just rampage through the DLC like a God incarnate. Thanks for the answer! I do in fact remember where to do those things, so I guess I'll just sprint there and try not to end up broken

As for drop rates, I've played a few times through with the newest console patches, and the drop rates on PC are extreme. It's much, much higher, or I'm just statistically one in a million lucky. Everything drops poo poo.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Jan posted:

God, this subject has been argued and debated endlessly for the console releases already. It's how From intended it, the only thing to be done at this point is to deal with it.

Not to mention it's by far the only way that fits the atmosphere of the game. If you can't appreciate that portion of the game, this game might not be for you. The feeling of loneliness and desperation is part of the game, and it would be absolutely demolished if you could just grab some bros and gently caress up everything in the game.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pertaining to shield discussion due to a particular boss:

Upgrading shield is fine, but that particular boss is notorious for being extremely difficult to first time players regardless. Half of the console thread is literally composed of killing that boss and one other encounter. It's just plain hard. That said, you can kill this one without a shield at all. The entire encounter depends on the first 5-10 seconds.

Spoiler for defeating this boss without grinding shield upgrades, don't read unless you want the full encounter totally spoiled for you:
Capra's difficulty is due to the tight area where you fight him + wolves keeping you basically stunlocked to death. If your shield isn't working, what you want to do is climb the stairs ASAP, but you can't sprint to them because the wolves are in the way. Watch for Capra to attack, then roll to the RIGHT past him, opposite the stairs. He'll miss and you'll have plenty of time to climb the stairs and fight one on one. Once you climb the stairs, move ALL the way back onto the ledge and Capra will sit below while you gently caress up the wolves. Then just drop attack onto him and repeat 3-4x to finish him. It is technically possible to dodge roll past him and the wolves directly to the stairs, but you have about 5 frames of invuln to achieve it, which isn't remotely reliable unless you're Asian. Dodging to the right, away from the stairs, will give you the time you need to get up the stairs

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 24, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rookersh posted:

You loving lie. :mad:

I just hit Depths. I don't like this zone at all. It's not a fun place to be, these mobs are not fun to fight, and it's a long trek back to this area since the only key seems to be on a miniboss thing.

I miss getting killed by dickass skeletons with shields.

Heh heh if you think Depths is bad, just wait until the next area. Just you wait.

^^^ If you meet the 14 dex req for the short bow, it only takes 30 or 40 wooden arrows.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Well I'm pretty pissed right now. Anyone else had the broken pendant that starts the DLC not drop? Golem didn't drop poo poo for me and gently caress replaying half the drat game to see if he'll drop it the next time. Guess I'll just watch someone else play the DLC on Youtube :mad:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also, was I supposed to be able to get the Gold-rimmed armor set this soon? I mean, I immediately died afterwards trying to fight Ceaseless Discharge, but I already had the spoils anyways.

Yup you were, that's just how the game works. Once you've played through the whole way once and know where everything is (and how not to die getting around), you can pick up some really ridiculous items within 30 minutes of hitting Firelink for the first time.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Where can I find the upgrade smith guy? I know him from the few times I watched the LP from the subforum but I have no idea where he is. I walked through the Undead Burg and now am in the area with the church/cathedral thing

He's a floor below the bonfire that's in the little building across from the cathedral's entrance.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

"Hey, I finally found the DLC, awesome! Time to loving wreck this poo poo like the rest of the....oh....oh god....oh gently caress me :gonk: :emo: :darksouls:"

I just thought the base game was hard :stare:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

One word can describe Sen's Fortress

BOULDERS :gonk:

What's a good level for this place?

I think I was around level 35ish the first time through. About halfway in, you'll find something that makes the rest a LOT easier lightning spear, which does around twice the damage of the Drake sword and obliterates the damage of anything else you probably have at that point, plus you can stab from behind your shield

Can someone spoiler the consequences of a decision in the DLC for me? What happens if you give/don't give Soul of Artorias to the chick praying over his corpse after you kill him? I don't know what to do :(

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

She gives you two dex weapons if you give her the soul. You can also kill her for her armor.

Supposedly she drops the weapons if you kill her without giving her the soul too. Haven't tested it personally, but it is probably true.

Thanks! I'd rather keep the original item, but I'm about to test that theory just to see.
Edit - that theory is correct Killing her without giving her the Soul causes her to drop both weapons + full set of armor, so do that if you want everything and don't mind that miserable guilty feeling that comes from killing poor NPCs

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 25, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

DLC encounter question, because I'm just plain curious: What's the gimmick for killing the huge blob of chains with the telephone pole sticking out of it's head? Hitting it with a sword just worked like hitting a shield, did 20dmg and left me wide open to get rocked. I cheesed him with sorcery, but I feel like there has to be a way without magic that I just didn't find

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That Gobbo posted:

I was using the Black Knight Greataxe and it tore that thing apart.

Oh, I guess it's just because I was using a light dex weapon. I was so far from the last bonfire that I just reverted to cheese-mode spam soul arrows. I rushed straight to the DLC fast as possible and don't have anything fancy yet :( I'm really glad I hotfooted it here, because it's hard as gently caress and a total blast instead of the shitfest stomp it'd have been if I farmed up chunks and came in at level 80

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

May God himself have mercy on your soul if you're attempting to use keyboard + mouse or put points into resistance :darksouls:

^^ Most of us are playing at a steady 30fps using a controller and loving the game's looks with the res patch installed, have you tried tinkering with it?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Cactus posted:

Oh right, so the advice near the beginning of the thread to put points in resistance was the same as "Get Bad Rats" :doh:

When will I learn...

The only Dark Souls advice you should ever listen to, even goon advice, is not to ever listen to any Dark Souls advice

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rookersh posted:

gently caress yooooou Gaping Dragon.

I have a +4 Winged Spear, a nice set of armor, and Solaire and Lautrec, why are you murdering them so quickly, why are they not casting awesome spears of death at you like they did the Gargoyles, and why am I only hitting you for 18 damage with my nice spear and 24 Strength.

Spears are dex-based, not Strength, but your problem is most likely A mage above that you missed killing, who now buffs the Dragon to insane levels and makes the fight nearly impossible

I'm pretty sure the boss at the bottom of the DLC is fully impossible at my current level. Holy everloving poo poo he makes the rest of the game look like Adventures in Barbieland

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rookersh posted:

So wait, what do you mean that Spears are Dex based?

I've been putting all my upgrades onto my Spear, and all my points into Strength.

Is it just it'd work better off Dex, or am I doing nothing here?

Ideally, I wanted to put most of my points into Strength so I can use a Greatshield, a few points into Faith for Heal, and then the rest into Endurance so I could hide behind my Shield. From the sound of it though, I'd have to put points into Dexterity as well to boost my Spear attacks?

Goddamnit Dark Souls. Oh well, guess I just wasted 4 Shards upgrading my Spear. Time to start leveling the Zweihander.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Some weapon types have damage that scales based on your Strength stat, and some scale instead with Dex. Spears are one of the types that scale with Dex, so upping your strength isn't going to do much for your spear damage. If you look on the item's stat screen, you'll see letters next to each stat that signify how strongly that weapon scales with that particular stat

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Famous TV Dad posted:

When is the best time to tackle the DLC content?

The trash enemies are dirt easy and you could basically handle them at any point, but the bosses are loving nightmare levels of hard. You can warp out at any point, so might as well try it, but I went in as early as possible Immediately after placing Lordvessel and what I'm guessing is the final boss is the most punishing boss in a game I've ever seen.

vvv also THAT bigtime. I came in with a Lightning Uchi +2 and every boss fight was a 15 minute slowly chip away 20hp at a time while hoping I didn't mistime a single dodge because it meant instant death.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 26, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

As many have suggested here, do it once you've done everything else and are SPOILER-ready. The content is very difficult and I'm reading that the bosses are ridiculous, two of them make the vanilla final boss seem like a wimp.

They absolutely do. I'd say 3 of the 4 bosses are far harder than any encounter in vanilla ever thought about being. I left and went back to playing the vanilla game after trying Manus a few times.

Also, Bob, would you mind spoilering that final boss name? I'd have hated to read that when I was playing through the game the first time :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I think I finished the DLC maybe. Can someone else tell me if this is all there is? Finally killed Manus, he turns into what I think is Dusk laying on the ground mumbling, and there's nothing to do but either stab her in the face for nothing but 1k souls or warp out?

^^^ Level ranges for the areas Post-Lordvessel are hard to nail down because people tackle all of it in different orders, so anywhere from 50-80

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Whats a good strength based thrusting style weapon?

I was relying so heavily on Spears because I liked the ability to fight things in corridors, which seems to be a weakspot for most swords. Trying to find something that'll not screw me over if I get jumped.

The Warpick on Andrew is labeled as a "thrust" weapon, but have a limited amount of souls right now, and don't really have the option to experiment much.

Also where is a good place to farm Shards? Want to level up my armor/weapons before heading in to Blightown because ha ha ha ha ha gently caress whatever those big guys are right off the bat.

I'm actually not aware of any great thrusting Str weapons, though I'm sure there are some. As for shards, you can buy them from Andre for 800 souls, so the big problem is farming souls. Luckily, if you don't mind abusing a pretty blatant glitch, you can farm a bunch of souls really quickly near Andre. Google "Dark Souls Forest Farming Glitch" and watch one of the youtube guides, it still works on PC

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

MysteryNad posted:

Finally beat all the DLC areas. All I have to say is wow, that was awesome! Good job FROM. Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias were pretty easy, so I was kind of worried about what was next, but Kalameet and Manus were ridiculously intense. Manus may be my favorite boss ever what with that crazy combo and how the Silver Pendant fits into the strategy. Took at least a dozen deaths before I realized what the description was implying.

I'm stuck on Manus bigtime, can't even remotely come close, but I never found Kalameet and don't have the item you're talking about...does that make the fight more possible in some way? If so, how do I find it? I'm sure it has something to do with Kalameet, since I never encountered him, so I guess how do I go about encountering him?

The only portion of vanilla DS that has ever come close to the frustrating impossibility of this fight was the Anor Londo boss, but even that FELT winnable if I didn't gently caress up. This one I just don't even know how to approach whatsoever

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 26, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Sorry for the tech support question, but I cant seem to forward TCP Port 3074, the port is completly closed and when I try to forward it it says its already in use.

Apparently my Wii is using that port under the UPnP list and I have no idea how to get it out of there. I unplugged the wii but im afraid to just completly disable UPnP because I dont really know what it does.

UPnP is an automatic port-forwarding tech. Right now, it's forwarding that port to your Wii instead of your PC, so that's why you're having issues. The solution is dependent on which router you're using, but basically you just need to delete that UPnP assignment altogether

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That Gobbo posted:

Outside of the entrance to the arena, near the masked merchant, look down. There will be a river.

Bless you, sir.

Sorry for double post!

vvv I am yet to kill a black knight without getting a drop for it. The drop rate on this version compared to the console version is absolutely nuts

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 26, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I think 10 humanity is where the benefits max out. Regardless, it's really really easy to farm humanity from (non-DLC spoiler)The tiny baby skeletons right before the Tomb of Giants boss or even faster from (DLC spoiler)The ghosts right before the last DLC boss. They drop humanity in DROVES

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can anyone tell if there's anything that the drop rate for HASN'T increased?

As far as I can tell, every single drop rate is 5x or so compared to consoles. It really kinda sucks, since when I played the console version, I got really excited when I saw the drop bag particles. Now I just sigh and run past it because I already have 8+ of whatever it is.

It's my only complaint with the port thus far. I guess the drop rate might be the same and some of us are just suffering from bias, but I really don't think so given the number of people reporting the same ridiculous drop rate I've experienced

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

MysteryNad posted:

BIG SPOILER BELOW
Don't read if you like figuring this stuff out for yourself.

There's two things that help in the Manus fight.

1 - There's a ledge in Oolacile township with a developer message on it that says something like "Let there be light" or something. If you take out a skull lantern or sunlight maggot a hidden door opens to the Silver Pendant. If you use it, it creates a short light barrier around you, useful for deflecting Manus' magic attacks.

2 - There's also an NPC you can summon for the fight (Sif), but you need to have freed him first and you summon him inside the boss arena after the fight has already started. He's not really that helpful truthfully.

Thanks for this! Don't want to use option 2 because I really enjoy getting curbstomped 30 times before finally soloing whatever (I hate myself, OKAY?!?) but the first option is exactly what I was needing

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

enojy posted:

I need good weapon recommendations! Specifically, for the second boss of the new Oolacile content (no spoilers.) I put hundreds of hours into Dark Souls for PS3, and am very ashamed to say that I used two weapons the entire time: Drake Sword and Lightning Spear. Neither of those is cutting it for Oolacile, at least not for this boss.

Anyone have any idea if I want to go holy/divine? I've not put a single point into Faith and would really rather not at this point. So far, my only contemplation has been to go get the Uchigatana from the undead merchant in Undead Burg and upgrade the hell out of it, because it's badass. I'd prefer something with speed and decent range. But, to go divine or not divine...

Divine won't do jack against the DLC bosses. Or at least, not any big bonus like when fighting in the Catacombs. I killed the boss you're talking about with an Uchi +15, but he was hard as poo poo. I still haven't figured out how to beat the last DLC boss :(

You people having trouble with the archers in Anor Londo, just shoot them with 3 poison arrows each and move on. That part is way too frustrating not to just cheese and forget about

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Very end of the DLC question about whether it's actually the end: So I finally killed Manus, he turns into what appears to be Dusk laying on the ground mumbling, then nothing else ever happens. I chopped Dusk in the face, she died, I got 1k souls, nothing happened. Am I just supposed to shrug and bonfire warp out and go on about my business? Seems kinda...anticlimactic for the big finale. I killed Kalameet and everything, not sure what else I could possibly do

^^^ For at least the ten thousandth time in this thread, use a controller and all your problems are solved. Or keep futilely trying to play a game with kb+m that was never remotely designed with them in mind

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

MysteryNad posted:

That's all that happens. If you go back to the Sanctuary Garden and talk to Elizabeth, she thanks you for saving Dusk and gives you three of her mushroom items. That's probably assuming you didn't cut of Dusk's head though. Another thing to do is go back to where you fought the Sanctuary Guardian. There's two of them in there now and they respawn.

This is really lame and I'm now glad I Killed the bitch. I'm gonna go kill Elizabeth, too. The Gaugh dialogue after killing Kalameet was more interesting than the official "end" of the DLC. What the gently caress :(

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

What did you want, some alternate ending or something? That would be highly inappropriate

No, just AN ending of some sort. So I at least knew I was done with it and didn't have to ask on a forum. Even stuff like Sens' has a tiny FMV attached to finishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

AlternatePFG posted:

Have you fought Sif yet in your playthrough? Go fight Sif, it's a bit different now. That gives some decent closure to the plotline.

I hadn't and just did, he just fell over dead and nothing new happened, which I'm betting is because I cut Dusk up. Killing Dusk also kills Elizabeth, FWIW, so now I kinda wish I hadn't done it. What happens after Sif if Dusk is still alive?

• Locked thread