Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

thatdog posted:

Want this game but torn on which version to get. Any chance that the DoA4 360 arcade stick (the one with Kasumi on it) works with the PS3?

Non-Qanba arcade sticks only work on their respective platform, so no, that X360 stick isn't going to work on the PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Hey for any Mila/Hitomi players out there any advice? Mila seems really cool but doesn't seem to have too much of mix up aside from throws.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

zarron posted:

Hey for any Mila/Hitomi players out there any advice? Mila seems really cool but doesn't seem to have too much of mix up aside from throws.

Some general Mila things

- d/f K+G is a fairly solid move to abuse at a range, it is very safe on block, guarantees a ground throw follup on hit and has huge range.
- f,f, P is one of the better guard breaks in the game, you don't get a followup for free unless you do it to someone in the corner but you get to dictate the pace afterwords.
- If you do a normal takedown and it gets broken on you, remember that you are at frame advantage when you both get up.
- Her best non-takedown throw is her forward+throw, the hit puts you at enough frame advantage to guarantee a standing K, and then you can play a 50/50 mixup game with the opponent with the P followup to that afterwords.

I need to get back on the DoA train I got totally blindsided by stupid sexy X-com :(

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 25, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

zarron posted:

In addition to everything Evil Canadian said which is all good advice, I'll add that 6P is a really fast mid that's plus a shitload on counter hit. I find it tends to beat the sorts of moves that beat sidestep takedown, so if someone's right in my face I'm usually looking for one of those two moves. Can't help you on Hitomi, sorry.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

may contain peanuts posted:

In addition to everything Evil Canadian said which is all good advice, I'll add that 6P is a really fast mid that's plus a shitload on counter hit.

You obviously haven't played GenFu.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

You obviously haven't played GenFu.
You're right, I haven't. No one plays him in my area.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

thatdog posted:

Want this game but torn on which version to get. Any chance that the DoA4 360 arcade stick (the one with Kasumi on it) works with the PS3?

Zero chance.

(edit: oops, wasn't on the last page)

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Round 3 costumes are up. How do these work anyway? Will anyone I play who hasn't downloaded the costumes be able to see it online? The download seems large enough that makes it seem like they're not on the disc already.

zarron posted:

The best thing to know about Hitomi is that you can now use her 4KPPP, 4PPP, and P+KPP for juggling anyone you launch. So for lightweights one combo you can do with CB is 7PK PP 8K 6P+K 33P 7PK P+KPP it's hot stuff. There's some weirdness where in situations where you use 4PPP the second punch will lift them up just enough let you finish it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

InformationHigh posted:

Round 3 costumes are up. How do these work anyway? Will anyone I play who hasn't downloaded the costumes be able to see it online? The download seems large enough that makes it seem like they're not on the disc already.

No, they're only viewable to those who have the same pack.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm just starting out with DoA5 and 3D fighters in general. The move inputs (and game mechanics) are definitely different from what I'm used to in Street Fighter.

I'm looking at the move lists for players, and drat that's a lot. It's like they thought of every possible situation someone could be in, and put in a throw command for it. Do people have to get familiar with the whole lists to become good, or is that unnecessary?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

that Vai sound posted:

I'm just starting out with DoA5 and 3D fighters in general. The move inputs (and game mechanics) are definitely different from what I'm used to in Street Fighter.

I'm looking at the move lists for players, and drat that's a lot. It's like they thought of every possible situation someone could be in, and put in a throw command for it. Do people have to get familiar with the whole lists to become good, or is that unnecessary?
Actually apart from defensive holds and high/low/air/ground throws, which throw you pick has nothing to do with what your opponent is doing, they all work in the same situations as each other, i.e. not when your opponent is attacking, and extra damage if they are attempting a counter. Rather, each throw has a different command for them to escape it (the same command of the throw itself), so it's all about doing the one your opponent isn't expecting. Of course, if you're just playing random people on the internet you will have no basis to know what they were expecting so you should just do random ones.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

that Vai sound posted:

Speaking as someone pretty new to fighters myself, I don't think you need to memorize move lists to be 'good' at this game, at least in XBL/PSN circles. The inputs are generally pretty intuitive, and as you play a character you'll get a feel for the direction you'll need to hold to get the attacks you want to come out. You'll want to go through a character's command tutorial when you start with them, but don't feel like you have to use every tool they have right out of the gate. Suss out the basics like some high/low mixups, a launch combo, and an air combo and then play a few rounds. Once you're comfortable with using what you know, go back into training mode and find something else to incorporate into your game and repeat the process. It's simple advice, but I think it's the best way to keep from getting overwhelmed by the big command lists that 3D fighters tend to have.

Also, my XBL name is in the OP's spreadsheet, it'd be cool to find a regular group of people to play against.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

that Vai sound posted:

I can't think of a fighting game that requires you to know every move in a character's moveset. What happens more often than not is a relatively small number of moves actually end up being very useful and many of them are not worth using. For example, if a move has properties such that if the attack is blocked you don't recover fast enough to block afterwards, it's pretty much not going to be used at all. A lot of moves are useless just because there's a better move for the same situations. You'll be much much better off memorizing a few safe combos than knowing every move in a character's kit.

In DOA more specifically, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, even though training will tell you there are like 150 moves in a character's kit, they actually are just showing you many ways that a smaller set of moves chain into each other in varying ways. For example, with La Mariposa, you can do a double backflip off a wide variety of setups. Training mode will show you several strings as different moves, even though it's showing you the same moves in different combinations. Once you know the moves it's talking about, you sort of learn a fluency of the character, knowing roots and suffixes so to speak.

That's my experience anyway.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks, guys. That gives me some direction.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So if I get this game and with the DLC could I dress everyone in a suit and make this the classiest fighting game ever?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Herr Tog posted:

So if I get this game and with the DLC could I dress everyone in a suit and make this the classiest fighting game ever?

Dead or Alive will never be classy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't know there were suits and I don't know what they look like but I'm sure that Christie's will be open in the front down to about her bellybutton.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. Thanks guys.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
How am I supposed to combine white/black arrows with the buttons? With white arrows I sometimes tap the direction first and then press the button, and sometimes do both at the same time. Sometimes both methods work, but other times it seems like one works better.

With black arrows am I supposed to only hold the direction for one P/K, or should it be held for a whole string?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
White arrows are taps (which you can hold down in some strings) and black ones are those which you have to hold down. If there's a tap in the middle of a string, tap it before your press the direction or keep tapping it while inputting buttons. The buffer system is very easy to get used to.

Herr Tog posted:

No, Team Ninja will not follow Namco's model of having cool costumes unfortunately, which is really lovely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe it's just because I live in Hawaii, but I have still never gotten above a 1 in connection quality when playing ranked matches, if that is indeed what that red number next to their name is. It's playable, but I get the feeling the counter timings are way screwed up. Speaking of which, I just fought an Alpha 152 online for the first time, what on earth is the height of that looooong string of punches she has? Are they all mid or are there high ones mixed in? As usual, I can barely tell.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe it's just because I live in Hawaii, but I have still never gotten above a 1 in connection quality when playing ranked matches, if that is indeed what that red number next to their name is. It's playable, but I get the feeling the counter timings are way screwed up. Speaking of which, I just fought an Alpha 152 online for the first time, what on earth is the height of that looooong string of punches she has? Are they all mid or are there high ones mixed in? As usual, I can barely tell.

High, Mid , High, Mid, Mid, Mid, Mid, Mid, Mid I believe.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Best way to check for hit level is to turn on the move details. Might also give you info about frame data and whether a string or move is punishable or not.

People just seem to want to attack you even when they're at major disadvantage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

uncleKitchener posted:

Best way to check for hit level is to turn on the move details. Might also give you info about frame data and whether a string or move is punishable or not.

People just seem to want to attack you even when they're at major disadvantage.
You can do that during a match? I would have just checked during training mode but I don't have Alpha unlocked yet (how do you do that by the way?)

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can do that during a match? I would have just checked during training mode but I don't have Alpha unlocked yet (how do you do that by the way?)
You need 300 titles to unlock Alpha. I'm at like, 250 right now, but I'm running out of the easy ones.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you haven't unlocked the power blow, critical burst or balcony related specials, just go into versus mode and start popping combos. Should take about a couple minutes to do all of them. Tedious, but it works.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

may contain peanuts posted:

You need 300 titles to unlock Alpha. I'm at like, 250 right now, but I'm running out of the easy ones.

Have you done the Cliffhanger titles? Just plug in a second controller and choose scramble, that's 46 right there. While you're at it go for the Critical Bursts into Powerblow titles too, that's an additional 23 titles. Also go through Tag Arcade and Tag Time Attack to collect all of characters costumes, that's an additional 18. On top of that going for the Training Complete titles will net you an another easy 19.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

Have you done the Cliffhanger titles? Just plug in a second controller and choose scramble, that's 46 right there. While you're at it go for the Critical Bursts into Powerblow titles too, that's an additional 23 titles. Also go through Tag Arcade and Tag Time Attack to collect all of characters costumes, that's an additional 18. On top of that going for the Training Complete titles will net you an another easy 19.
I did the cliffhanger/power blow/command training ones for everyone but Zack. That puts me at about 260. I still have some of the tag arcade/tag time attack ones left to do, but I think before I'm done I'm gonna have to do something weird like the 100 low grabs one.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Don't go for that. Just do the arcade/time attack plus the tag version of those with characters whom you need to unlock a costume for. A couple of easy ones here and there so that you can unlock all costumes for the males and some females.

I think using Leifang's 1P+K exploit on AI works well on all difficulties. You just have to space yourself right. It has a really smart hurt box and it which some mids sometimes. 1P is great for crushing highs and almost all mids. Just stick to simple stuff and it'll make it easier to get through arcade and tag arcade.

Once you get used to that, then just do the same for survival. Survival is actually super tedious, so you might as well just not bother with the last few of em since they're 100 wins each.

The 100 HC defensive hold should be easy. I'm guessing you probably have that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the story mode is there any marker on the stages that you didn't get the bonus goal for?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the story mode is there any marker on the stages that you didn't get the bonus goal for?
I haven't noticed one. I had to look at the titles and see which I was missing. To figure out which stage it went with, I cross referenced the title with this FAQ.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
http://shoryuken.com/2012/11/28/dead-or-alive-5-joins-ign-pro-league/

If you had dreams of seeing this game at EVO, though luck. It's going to be part of the IGN e-sports league now.

Also, new batch of DLC costumes are out.
edit:

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 29, 2012

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Does anyone else have problems accepting invites to games? It seems like if I'm not already in online and in the lobby menu I'll just get stuck on the spinning circle and have to drop back to the dashboard.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I'm trying to do Sarah's command training and there are a bunch of moves that say "while stepping" or "while stepping forward" and I don't know what that means. I think it's her little shuffle move but I can't figure out how to connect that to the moves it's telling me to do.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah her stepping is 1P+K from the flamingo stance and stepping forward is 66P+K. You should be able to do the input while she's in the stepping animation to pull it off.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So that patch that's coming is actually going to be a full on update:

-[D-YS] I've finally had a chance to check out a few of the tweaks, so here are a few bits of info about the next patch.

-[D-YS] First, it looks like we can clear up the huge lag that happened on some stages for online fights.

-[D-YS] Now you should be able to fight without worrying about what stage you're on.

-[D-YS] Next, you'll be able to view opponent information before the start of a ranked match.

-[D-YS] You'll see their name, connection speed, grade, etc. all before you actually accept the fight

-[D-YS] And good news for IPL, NEC, Season's Beatings, DID and all the other tournaments out there! We're adding an Exhibition Mode!

-[D-YS] You can unlock all the characters, (almost) all costumes, and all stages for offline versus matches

-[D-YS] There's still more in the works, but I'm only gonna talk about what I've actually seen myself. So stay tuned for more updates!

I can't wait to see what nerfs they're bringing to the table.Please don't be Bass's glitch

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Even if they do remove the Bass 66K damage recal, he still has 66P+K. That's just how the throw is.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

uncleKitchener posted:

Even if they do remove the Bass 66K damage recal, he still has 66P+K. That's just how the throw is.

Honestly I prefer 66P as it gives a guaranteed reset after. Or alternatively, while it doesn't do any where near the same amount of damage, doing bass's air grab giant swing on them. Only does like a 120 damage but it's flashy as hell.

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
opponent screening is the thing I wanted more than anything else. moving me to tears here TN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Neo Helbeast posted:

Honestly I prefer 66P as it gives a guaranteed reset after. Or alternatively, while it doesn't do any where near the same amount of damage, doing bass's air grab giant swing on them. Only does like a 120 damage but it's flashy as hell.

Is this after the OH? You'd rather do 8K 9PKP instead since you'd get the same pick-up. Works when facing walls against lights and meds, that is if you start with 6K too, just letting you know. The throw has more damage on normal hit while on CH or HCH it's best to get in those hits if you can.

• Locked thread