Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So tonight I stripped my fender liners in search of the alarm siren, only to not find it. It's listed right there in the wiring diagram only there's nothing there! Turns out there are a couple different configurations of alarm and I have a different one. No wonder I couldn't find one in any of my boxes when I went looking the other night. So that wasted an hour or so of labor.

I did find my ABS module and swapped it in, and it made no difference. Another half hour/hour spent.

The 04 parts behaved a little differently than the 03 parts so I went ahead and put the 03 parts back in the car. Little things like the throttle body would not work with the 04 hardware but it does with the 03 (even though it's the 04 throttle body). With the original 03 parts back in the car I get 4 codes:

ECM-720A Immobilizer communication - signal missing
ECM-9300 Clutch pedal sensor - signal too high
TCM-0039 Gear shift position sensor faulty signal
ABS-0093 Control module communication

I did put the TCU back in the car just because I wanted to make sure the car was as close to stock as possible. The clutch pedal code was there even with the switch unplugged. VIDA tells me this could be a wiring problem like a short.

Next I was able to get in to the testing area and successfully tested every engine function on the list, including injectors. This dumped a bunch of fuel in to the intake so I was able to start the car for about 3 seconds until the fuel starved. I also did a test of the DIM and all functions worked, it was pretty cool to watch it sweep the needles and stuff. None of the ABS tests worked, I couldn't get any noise out of it at all. So now I wonder if I have a bad ABS ground. I checked the fuse and power supply, those were good.

At this point I'm convinced that it's an immobilizer problem again, probably caused by wiring, but don't know how to solve it. I'm going to do some more tests for shorts and grounds but I still can't see anything obviously wrong, and I'm about ready to swap the entire firewall harness and relay boxes just to start over with something that I know was working. The info in VIDA says that the 720A code means I have no communication between the DIM and the ECU, so I'll start there tracing the wires.

I asked the tuner if he can just turn off the immobilizer function completely, I really don't need it. I doubt it though.

At least I got to smell some burnt fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So as I learn more about this software I am learning that I'm just plain over my head. Boxes in red are off the network. No loving clue how to further diagnose it. I'm going to be pissed if it's just the tune or something in software that glitched out with nothing else actually wrong.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 9, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I bet all this fuckery makes you appreciate the simplicity of the 122 that much more. :)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Jesus Christ.

That is why I am never owning a car with a fancy rear end canbus system or immobilizer.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Could be worse, Could be a car with canbus and WITHOUT OBDII. The turbo diesel landcruisers are partly CANBUS, and then theres M-OBD over the top of it. Which is a pig to find a reader for that ISNT a toyota one!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sockington posted:

I bet all this fuckery makes you appreciate the simplicity of the 122 that much more. :)

The irony of course being that I'm going to jam the wiring harness from a '98 S70 into it. No immobilizer though. It's set up so I can strip everything out but the ECU and it'll work like a standalone system.

Once this is running it'll all just be a fading nightmare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was grabbing some stuff at the grocery and saw this near an end-cap

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's awesome, I shoulda got a next gen vert instead of another one of these.

Also I now have it down to one single code - the immobilizer. The difference since my previous post was removing the TCU (jumpering the CAN bus wires) and plugging the clutch switch back in. Troubleshooting says it's either a bad ECU or a bad DIM or the connection between. My money's on the ECU tune having missed something.

Then I hand traced a bunch of the CAN bus wires to a few of the modules not responding, everything is connected. I'm now fully convinced that I have actually done nothing wrong and it's something in software that needs to be reloaded to reset the immobilizer and that's it. I'm giving up and towing it in to my shop this week. They'll probably have it running an hour after they get it.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 1, 2013

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah that's right, get the gently caress out of my driveway you worthless piece of poo poo.

I might be a little annoyed.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 3, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah that's right, get the gently caress out of my driveway you worthless piece of poo poo.

I might be a little annoyed.

At least it looks good.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's what they said on swedespeed too! heh.

And today the car runs. I did one thing wrong. I sent the ECU off for a tune before I reassembled and started the car. That mistake cost me just over $550 between the tow and the software and diagnosis time. And that doesn't count the $400 for software and laptop upgrades to run the software because that's a useful tool that I'll use the hell out of over the next few years.

I talked to the tuner, and he isn't going to leave me hanging, so I'm really not too worried about it. But there was something in his tune that triggered the immobilizer to lock up and it required a complete reload of the ECU software. It was indeed the immobilizer the whole time. But that's all behind me now because it runs.

Actually now that I think about it, it probably had more to do with the order of operations in which I assembled things and fired it up, because the same thing happened with my 04 hardware. Something like connecting the battery with one or more components missing or something stupid that I didn't notice.

Tomorrow I'll go get a temp tag so I can drive it and break it in, right now it's steaming really bad because of all the water and oil in the exhaust pipe that's left over from the blown head gasket, and I'm not sure if the catalytic converter even works now. But if I drive it for a few days and don't get a CEL I'll try to get it through emissions on the stock 2.4 tune. That way I can get it plated and worry about all the other details without schedule pressure.

So yeah a month of double checking when I did nothing wrong (mechanically and electrically that is). Literally nothing. Sigh.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 5, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cars now come with DRM!! drat. Glad it will be working now.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'm glad it's working, this has been quite a saga!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
YES YES YES!!! I'm so glad that it lives! Get that tag and enjoy.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Fantastic news! I normally just lurk project threads but I was so happy to hear you've solved it. It's all downhill from here :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Good stuff, Lloyd, at least it's behind you now and will be an annoying anecdote you will remember for years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fantastic news. That must be simultaneously relieving and annoying as hell. The black magic of modern car work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
loving electronics.
Rip all that poo poo out, and go old-skool, 100% manual, even down to the wipers. HAND CRANKS!

In all seriousness, that's great news. $550 isn't exactly going to break the bank.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, I've definitely wasted more than $550 on dumber poo poo than this before. I won't notice the missing money in a few months.

Had some friends help me pick it up tonight, drove it home alternating between flogging it and cruising, and while it's definitely down on power even from my stock T5 wagon, it's running flawlessly smooth, the front suspension is tight and solid, and the exhaust sounds awesome, better than I remember. And the stereo isn't in it yet so that's all I got to hear.

Our emissions place added saturday morning testing so I think I'll take my daughter out to breakfast and then drive it around for a while to finish heating it up and breaking it in, and then test it. My buddy said it didn't stink tonight while he was behind me, so it might just be all good to go. The temp tag is only good for 10 days, so if I fail that gives me maximum time to figure it out. If I pass I can get plates as early as Monday.

It was 70 today, supposed to be mid 60's tomorrow and sunday, so I plan to drive it all weekend. Then monday cools off and we supposedly get 4-8 inches of snow on tuesday with a high of 30. Gotta love Colorado in the springtime. So now I have my summer vert but I still have buff snow tires on my wagon. And to think I almost switched to summer tires this week.

After that it goes back into the high 60s. Lookin forward to it. Thanks for the support everyone, I'll get back to posting pics with the next few updates. I'm still pretty far away from really done, although once I get it plated I can take a bit of a break.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So when they reflashed the ECU, did that blow away the tune? Or is it still there?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really happy that things are working out for you on this car again.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

So when they reflashed the ECU, did that blow away the tune? Or is it still there?

Yeah, it got erased. But the tuner is a pretty solid customer service kind of guy and he's more than happy to reload it for free and is offering to kick some money back or give me something else in his catalog at cost or a deep discount. Still working that out.

And without incident I passed emissions today! I'm grateful they have saturday testing now, and I'm grateful that the car works fine on the 2.4 tune. It's almost anticlimactic given my drama over the last month. So here are a few things I learned:

2.4/13c turbo tune runs just fine on a 2.3 engine with the 16T turbo.
Manual swapping a P80 ME7 car does not throw a 4k rev limiter, that's only on the P2 cars. I could drive it like this forever with a CEL.
Immobilizer does not cut spark it only cuts fuel injector signal.
Immobilizer does not always flash the light on the dash when it is preventing the car from starting.
Just swapping a bunch of modules does not always mean the car will run either.
It's possible for the immobilizer to be locked out in such a way as to require a full ECU software reload.

My daughter was very patient with me doing my car stuff all morning so I'm going to go veg out with her now. I was all "OMG isn't it awesome to have a convertible again? We have a convertible again! This is awesome!" It's really pathetic how jazzed I get from just cruising with the top down.

But I will likely spend all day tomorrow finishing up the remaining things. Stereo install, air guides under the bumper, buffing and polishing some of the scratches, strut brace install, airbag switch install for the kiddo, and general cleanup and final prep for regular driving. After that I work on getting the brake calipers painted, then I bleed those, then I get tires and switch over to the pegs. Then comes the downpipe. And I need to find some replacement fog lights like before. My auto parts store doesn't carry the same ones they used to that fit so well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've been posting too long without pictures. Today I installed the stereo and buttoned up the interior.

Before mounting my subwoofer I vacuumed out the trunk, definitely a car guy kind of thing to do. I have no pics of my subwoofer install because quite frankly it embarasses me. It's for sound not looks.

Then I installed the strut bar. Even between yesterday and today I can feel the difference.

After installing all that I took it for a cruise up the foothills and burned through some of that old low octane gas left over from the last owner. I have about 7 gallons to go as near as I can tell. Car still running sweetly.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 9, 2014

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lloyd, you see my PM?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So a month has gone by without too much activity. We had three freak april snowstorms three weeks in a row, not conducive to convertible driving. But before those hit I attended a detailing party and got some cosmetic work done: debadged the trunk, powerwashed the engine bay, rubbed black spots off the car with rubbing compound, it looks pretty decent now. It's now ready for dent removal and a professional detail job.

I also trimmed a torn section of the front bumper off the bottom, and installed the air guide under the radiator now that I've established that I don't have any coolant or boost leaks.

The only other big news is that the tuner figured out where he went wrong, on these newer engine management systems there's an additional "motor identification code" that if it isn't copied right it trips the immobilizer. So I gave him the month to figure that out, and since he doesn't have his remote loader software working yet I'm going to send the ECU in to him to have it re-re-flashed either this week or early next. He successfully got another dude working that was having the same problem I was, so confidence is high.

As for the car, the suspension is so solid and smooth, and the stereo sounds even better than I remembered from my other car. I'm very pleased overall, I drove it to work today and enjoyed every second, even when storm clouds threatened to rain on me all the way home.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 9, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have to ask. Do you consider it a different car or a rebirth?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Interesting question. Definitely a different car. It runs completely different, and I expect it to run completely different again once I get the tune. It has different imperfections like the scratches in the hood and bumper vs the trunk on my 04, it sounds different and better both from the engine and stereo, and it's less rattly than the 04. The new front suspension makes it all tighter. And it even smells different, must be some residual owner smell in the soft top liner, because the rest of the interior is mine.

Definitely "same model, different car".

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Because of the small, yet noticeable differences between the two and how attached you were to the 04 would you say that you're ultimately satisfied with how things worked out or would you choose the 04 again if you could?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm pretty satisfied, I don't get attached to a specific car anymore. I've gone through too many.

I've got more work in this one, and with the way it's looking so far, this one will end up a better car overall than the 04. It has everything that was on the list for me to do on the 04 (downpipe, intake, LSD, refreshed suspension, larger brakes) and I will have done it all while profiting $4k or so from the insurance payout, instead of spending $4k to buy these parts. At the beginning of the thread I was talking about $8k, but because of that I splurged on a lot more things that weren't in the original plan, and then other things ended up needing replacement that I hadn't planned on.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Now that you're done with this I can say it : I think volvos are terrible but yours is pretty cool and you almost built it yourself like a kit car so my hat's off to you. I would change the wheels and the front signals (let me know if you need euro ones without the orange thing) but overall it's looking pretty good.

Also what happened with the big brakes (from a 750R or something) conversion you were doing a while ago, I think on the 04 car ?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

To each their own, I don't blame anyone for not liking Volvos, they take a lot of work to even begin to perform like other cars do off the showroom floor. But they're built for soccer moms so whatcha gonna do? Thanks for the props though, and I think the variety of cars is what makes this forum so special. There are tons of cars on here that I would never even consider owning or driving but watching the build and info threads is awesome, and makes it fun to learn about them anyway.

These wheels are definitely not staying on the car, I still have my R wheels and I still like them, the only reason I haven't put them on yet is because the tires are worn out, one wheel needs refinishing, and the brakes need refinishing. I plan to address all of that this week though. I have the brakes at my work so I can clean them, and I have Friday off so I can run the wheel to the wheel shop.

The R big brake conversion is actually happening on my '66 122. Slow going there, just trying to get this car done before I dive back into that one.

In update news, I mailed the ECU off again Monday for a 2nd round of programming, at least I know this time if it doesn't run it's the programmer's fault. Should get it back early next week.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 15, 2013

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Sh4 posted:

Now that you're done with this I can say it : I think volvos are terrible

Heathen. :witch:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I honestly think Volvos are the poo poo. Then again, I might be biased as my pops owns one. I honestly don't know what segment they are but to me they are what I consider minimalist luxury.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with your 122 but why is the 122 getting the R brakes, Lloyd?

Did the tuner wind up offering you that discount/free stuff?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

travisray2004 posted:

I honestly think Volvos are the poo poo. Then again, I might be biased as my pops owns one. I honestly don't know what segment they are but to me they are what I consider minimalist luxury.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with your 122 but why is the 122 getting the R brakes, Lloyd?

Did the tuner wind up offering you that discount/free stuff?

I think of Volvos as a safe european touring car. Not super high performance but not a boat either.

The 122 has an almost 4 year old build thread, it's fun reading although the last year has been really boring. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3173599 It's getting the R brakes because gently caress yeah. And they don't fit on this car, I have to buy Porsche or Stoptech or Wilwood brakes if I want to go big.

The tuner and I both agree that we get the car running perfect before we settle up. So nothing yet, but I'll definitely be talking once the ECU comes back and plugs and plays. I like the idea of the FMIC that fits in the stock location.

In actual progress news I took the one curbed wheel to the wheel shop today, and I got rid of the final pieces of the light gray interior. I sold a bunch of it, but only made about $300. And with that it ends the cleanup portion of the project. My porch has no C70 parts on it anymore.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Still waiting for the ECU, now the tuner tells me that the new software I just bought has a completely different file structure than any other car of the same generation, and it's even significantly different than what was in it before, which he still has. So he's going back and forth with a contact at Volvo to make sure he does it right. Was hoping to have it back by now but I told him to take his time and get it right.

In the meantime, I've been super busy. I sold off the stereo, the interior, the third brake light, the steering wheel, some brake pads that I bought that turned out to be for AWD cars and didn't fit mine, and after all that I scrapped all the other unsellable parts that were left. I also picked up a spare axle and front hub set for the 122, so I have a second disc brake conversion kit for it, that I can rebuild and swap in to the car, and/or sell.

I got my wheel back from refinishing, this was the first wheel I've ever curbed ever, and I was super mad when it happened. $110 later and the evidence is gone!

I also decided I don't want to pull my ECU box AGAIN to rewire it for TCU removal, but I didn't trust any jumper I could make to stay in the socket. Then I realized: I've got a spare TCU, and the connector physically locks into the socket. So I cut off the circuit board, cut off all the un-used pins, and soldered the CAN bus pins together. This will be my TCU jumper.

So with the wheel refinished I placed my order for tires, and I found some foglights on amazon that I think will fit in the holes and look alright.

And I'm $9800 into this car now, which sounds bad until you consider that it has a completely rebuilt front suspension, about $2000 in new mods, and all major consumables are brand new like hoses, belts, battery, and tires. Basically it had about ten $300 repairs that I did all at once. Coming up on the finish line, the only remaining expense will be dent removal.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 9, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that refinished wheel looks really good. The thick-spoke R wheels really scream rally style - if they didn't have the R badging I would totally want a set for every car I own.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

And I'm $9800 into this car now, which sounds bad until you consider that it has a completely rebuilt front suspension, about $2000 in new mods, and all major consumables are brand new like hoses, belts, battery, and tires. Basically it had about ten $300 repairs that I did all at once. Coming up on the finish line, the only remaining expense will be dent removal.

It doesn't sound that bad, considering the lengths you've gone to "rebuild" and you clearly don't cut corners. Some of that money is just bad luck that you couldn't do anything about. But now you have a properly sorted, extremely clean car for around $10k. Doesn't seem bad at all considering 99% of the population buying used cars are jumping into a giant question mark for that kind of money.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Got my tires mounted, and the tire shop jacked up one of my wheels while doing it, so now TWO are refinished.

Painted the brakes so now I just have to install and bleed them. Was going to do it tonight, but...

I got the ECU back in the mail! Plugged it in and the engine started! Took it out and gently warmed the car up like it says, giving it small doses of boost until it learns... and nothing. Hooked up a pressure gauge to the manifold (don't have a boost gauge yet) and I'm only making 7 psi, which is basically stock for the low pressure tune.

So the tune didn't take for some reason and now my weekend is ruined because there's no time to mail anything back and forth between now and Sunday, and Sunday is the import drag races with the whole Volvo club. loving unbelievable.

I'll post up some pics if I get the motivation to do the brakes, but again I'm pissed at the car so I don't even want to look at it. I was looking forward to this meet all year and now I don't really even want to go.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Got my tires mounted, and the tire shop jacked up one of my wheels while doing it, so now TWO are refinished.

Painted the brakes so now I just have to install and bleed them. Was going to do it tonight, but...

I got the ECU back in the mail! Plugged it in and the engine started! Took it out and gently warmed the car up like it says, giving it small doses of boost until it learns... and nothing. Hooked up a pressure gauge to the manifold (don't have a boost gauge yet) and I'm only making 7 psi, which is basically stock for the low pressure tune.

So the tune didn't take for some reason and now my weekend is ruined because there's no time to mail anything back and forth between now and Sunday, and Sunday is the import drag races with the whole Volvo club. loving unbelievable.

I'll post up some pics if I get the motivation to do the brakes, but again I'm pissed at the car so I don't even want to look at it. I was looking forward to this meet all year and now I don't really even want to go.

That suck, they probably sent it to you with the stock tune. Maybe take a ride with it to check how the car behaves. Maybe the "learning" takes some time or it is in safe mode for some reasons ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Aaaaaand we're back! During my back and forth emails with the tuner today I asked if I should remove the transmission computer and he replied "Yes, that will make it go into limp mode".

Oh. So I removed it and WHEEEE! Tire spin in 1st gear. Finally! I'm really glad it was something simple. I got fooled because my previous tune required me to keep the trans computer in there.

I got so excited I started on the brake swap. Got the rears put in:

And tomorrow's cool and rainy here so I quit before I burned out. It's already up on Jackstands so tomorrow I'll do the front rotor/caliper swap, bleed all 4 corners, and I'm ready to race on Sunday!

Last 3 4 items before the car is 100%:

Downpipe welding and install
Foglights
Dent removal
Thorough detail

Very exciting indeed.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 9, 2014

• Locked thread